All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Bateman contract talks face delay after agent banned

Post by SeeBee101 »

Wiki Special wrote: June 22, 2020, 12:42 pm
Brew wrote: June 21, 2020, 7:29 pm After today’s performance anyone who thinks we don’t need Bateman is kidding themselves.
I don’t see anyone ripping into the boys like he would after an error

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
100% agree. I said something about how much value he would have provided in the Game Day thread. I would find a way to pay him if he comitted to staying in Australia.
100%, we are absolutely missing him. He is an xfactor to our team. Without him, we have no spark down that edge.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I can't see him staying, sadly.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

I'm still pissed off that he decided to have surgery just weeks out from the start of the season despite it being an ongoing issue that could have been fixed months prior at the end of the season or at the end of the England camp. Waiting until as late as we did was absolutely madness. Then it burnt us again with the 2nd surgery. If he just had the surgery at the right time he would of been 100% fit for round 1 and probably could of been fit for the start of the season, even if he had to have two surgeries.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There's next to no chance he's staying next season. He's already broken one contract with Wigan, so there is history there. It's impossible to tell where his head is at with regards to staying in Australia more broadly.

I'm a bit pissed off with the surgery issue too. Not sure what went on there, but I hope he's enjoyed his 10 month offseason. He'll probably be the highest paid player per game this year.

You could see this coming when the contract issue was raised by him (and it was raised by him) in the lead up to the grand final. I'm a bit over it.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 23, 2020, 3:51 pm There's next to no chance he's staying next season. He's already broken one contract with Wigan, so there is history there. It's impossible to tell where his head is at with regards to staying in Australia more broadly.

I'm a bit pissed off with the surgery issue too. Not sure what went on there, but I hope he's enjoyed his 10 month offseason. He'll probably be the highest paid player per game this year.

You could see this coming when the contract issue was raised by him (and it was raised by him) in the lead up to the grand final. I'm a bit over it.
Correct.
Dont delete this GE
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Yep, goneski.
Grubby act and that's why our team is not mentally right for games, some weird behind the scenes stuff must be happening there...haven't seen him or Sam Williams in any of the squad photos for a long time...
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Neeeegz wrote: June 23, 2020, 9:41 pm Yep, goneski.
Grubby act and that's why our team is not mentally right for games, some weird behind the scenes stuff must be happening there...haven't seen him or Sam Williams in any of the squad photos for a long time...
He is in Rehab and i believe they are not with the playing group due to Covid. Not saying he isn't goneski but that's why no jonneh in pics.
Swilly is a very interesting one. I'm sure he is training in the squad and has been in squad lockdown as per his socials but haven't seen him in any pics and has fallen back in pecking order by looks of it.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I saw Sammy Williams on Brett Whites Instagram story the other day at Training

In Ricky We Trust
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

DT reporting Bateman has told the club he is heading back to the UK next year
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Misread it , not necessarily to the UK , but he is leaving us
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I hope he goes back to the UK if he leaves us. What a circus.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Batemen tells Raiders he won't be at the club in 2021

English Test star John Bateman has told Canberra he will be on the move in 2021 as he weighs up whether to move to Canterbury or back home to his family and former club Wigan.

Bateman has a three-year offer on the table from the Bulldogs and a four-year deal from his old Super League outfit, with the contracts both understood to be worth around $2 million.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/30/bat ... xIsF1zAL5k

Canberra Raiders club statement

Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman will depart the club at the end of the 2020 season, after he was released from the final year of his contract.

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner said Bateman had decided to leave the Raiders after being given permission to seek other opportunities.

“The club made the difficult decision to allow John to pursue other long-term options and as a result, 2020 will be his final season with the Raiders,” Furner said. “We’re looking forward to John returning from his shoulder injury soon and finishing his time by helping us make the semi finals again. John was fantastic in 2019, featuring in our first Grand Final appearance since 1994 and winning the Dally M for second rower of the year.”

Bateman thanked the Raiders for the chance to come and play in the NRL and would do everything he can to finish his time with the club in the best way possible.

“The Raiders gave me an opportunity to come to Australia and play in the NRL and I’ve loved every moment playing for the club,” he said. “I’m doing everything I can to make sure I get back on the field as soon as possible and finish my last season with the Raiders on a high.”

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:(
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

If the Dogs and Wigan are offering the same cash, surely he goes back to be with his daughter.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Bateman 'won't be at Raiders in 2021'

Post by Danaman137 »

2020 man... the hits just keep rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Kevin Proctor.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Good riddance.

Integrity obviously isn't big in his agenda

Return the club the transfer money, pay back your 2020 salary and leave now. Raiders should not be supporting any rehab and he should consider his career here over.

Give me Whitehead any day of the week.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

A Whitehead, Horsburgh, Tapine back row can get the job done. Throw in Young and Havili, it's not so bad.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

What a long and successful career at the club 🙃🤦‍♂️ Why bother packing up your whole life to come over for one season.. seriously.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Well **** off then ****. Does he have to pay back the transfer fee we had to pay to get him here originally?
89_90_94_??
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh.p

Post by 89_90_94_?? »

Was a key member of the squad that let me experience GF week for the first time, was to young in 94. All the best in the future john.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

I assume he expects to be paid for this year too even though he is unlikely to touch the field... Gotta love how players want it both ways... All reward, no risk on them...
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

89_90_94_?? wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:43 pm Was a key member of the squad that let me experience GF week for the first time, was to young in 94. All the best in the future john.
Cheers to that.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

:cry:
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

disappointing but at least we can move forward with recruitment

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Goid riddance - apparently the deal with Canterbury is 3 years, WIgan is 4 for around 2 million. Considering what a money hungry ****** he has shown himself to be it'd be the Dogs.
I don't want him in our squad for 2020 and yeah give is $150,000 back of the transfer fee you gutless wonder.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Wow, that Moses ban is super effective.

I guess that means we have about 600k to spend next year. I reckon we should make enquiries about TPJ, or clear the decks and make an audacious bid for Fifita.
Last edited by edwahu on June 30, 2020, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

GMGT wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:41 pm What a long and successful career at the club 🙃🤦‍♂️ Why bother packing up your whole life to come over for one season.. seriously.
Half the world does 12 month working holidays. His just paid better.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Man I'm in the wrong half of the world.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't understand what's happened here to be honest.

He came here on a 3yr deal it's it's turned sour.

How did this happen ? And why was it allowed to happen ?

I'm angry..angry because when he sat down with the club over 12 months ago he agreed to terms. I don't care about dotting the Is and crossing the Ts..

Both parties presumably shook hands..

Has Bateman screwed us or has the club failed to give him the pay rise they both negotiated ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He might want to get the deal done quickly, if we lost another 3 games I don't know if the club will still be so positive about a release.

*edit* just saw the official release from the club confirming it
Last edited by edwahu on June 30, 2020, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

My understanding:
He came on a 3 year deal with a proviso that he could re-negotiate it every year. That was in the contract.
We offered him an upgrade at the end of last year and he turned it down. Then he switched managers and came back for the upgrade and we had moved on by then ie the money was elsewhere, or planned to be elsewhere, or then upgrade wasn't quite up to snuff.
Begin the circus of Moses trying to get his client more money.
Last edited by zim on June 30, 2020, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Is it just me or will he end up with less in both of these proposed options?

It this more than money?
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Don't we get **** for the length of his contract though too? Are we going to paying for, at least in part, another club getting his services? I will never comprehend why this BS us allowed in the NRL. Contracts mean something or they don't, none if his "but I don't feel like it anymore" Bull. Why are players allowed to throw out a contract like it has no value but clubs are required to actually respect them?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: June 30, 2020, 12:52 pm My understanding:
He came on a 3 year deal with a proviso that he could re-negotiate it every year. That was in the contract.
We offered him an upgrade at the end of last year and he turned it down. Then he switched managers and came back for the upgrade and we had moved on by then ie the money was elsewhere, or planned to be elsewhere, or then upgrade wasn't quite up to snuff.
Begin the circus of Moses trying to get his client more money.
Yep..

That's how I thought it had played out.
Thanks John..off to Belmore where you're 100km closer to home.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: