Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Bateman contract talks face delay after agent banned

Post by gerg »

But in the same way that this Bateman mess started - if players drop Moses and go with another manager, does the new manager get anything until a new contract is done?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: June 17, 2020, 8:02 am But in the same way that this Bateman mess started - if players drop Moses and go with another manager, does the new manager get anything until a new contract is done?

I don't know for certain but all his player contracts would be 3 way agreements that include his commissions. That would effectively void such agreements. Imagine they would need a new contract signed with another manager or there would be a migration clause in the existing contracts.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: June 17, 2020, 7:17 am It’s an interesting one, not sure in the legal side of things, but it’s being reported that players can tear up contract WITH THE MANAGER, not the club. Therefore they still stay at the club for the same sum, but do not have to pay ongoing percentages to Moses. If that’s legal, that’s a huge outcome, they will be jumping ship very quickly I’d imagine. For example, Matt Lodge is set to pocket an additional $200k if he no longer pays Moses.
hmmm i guessed elsewhere that i thought he'd still be entitled to commission on active deals, but if that's the case then that really is hugely imapctful
gergreg wrote: June 17, 2020, 8:02 am But in the same way that this Bateman mess started - if players drop Moses and go with another manager, does the new manager get anything until a new contract is done?
Good question, i would have guessed no, they have to do a new deal, hence the JB situation... but i dont really know the ins and outs of this stuff legally.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If it’s anything like some of the work contracts I have signed in the past, there’s a seperate contract between the person and the contract manager.

So this is seperate to the club contract the player signs. (May even be a part of the central contract).

But I don’t know for sure whether NRL contracts work the same as many standard employment/manager based contracts. Wouldn’t surprise me though.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Is this a genuine, see ya later, don't let the door hit you on the way out cancellation, or a suspension?

This grub had a suspension following the Storm cap bust. The NRL should have barred all player managers involved then. They only way to snuff out the rorts is by making the downside of getting caught outweigh the benefits. Killing their livliehood permanently should do it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 17, 2020, 8:19 pm Is this a genuine, see ya later, don't let the door hit you on the way out cancellation, or a suspension?

This grub had a suspension following the Storm cap bust. The NRL should have barred all player managers involved then. They only way to snuff out the rorts is by making the downside of getting caught outweigh the benefits. Killing their livliehood permanently should do it.
Cancelled: viewtopic.php?p=1734134#p1734134
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just got off from playing my morning FIFA session, and I need to say, a similar thing just happened to me.

I completed a massive coup by convincing Trent Buhagiar to leave Sydney FC and come join me at Plymouth Argyle. He was instrumental in getting the team promoted to League 1. Topped the comp in goals and assists.

Heading into League 1, Trent approaches me and tells me he's feeling homesick and requests a release. I felt for the guy, so I granted him his release.

1 simulated week later, and the News Headline is Buhagiar signing for Bradford!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

dragons and graham looking to part ways, theyve also lost frizzel for next year. money there for john now
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 17, 2020, 8:19 pm Is this a genuine, see ya later, don't let the door hit you on the way out cancellation, or a suspension?

If the appeal is defeated then I believe it is "seeya mate" as player managers have to apply to the NRL for certification and the NRL are under no obligation at all to accredit him again- terminated for proven breaches. A bit like a player they refuse to ratify for damaging the game. I can't imagine they'd go through the expensive legal process just to let him back in after 2 years.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: June 18, 2020, 9:07 am

If the appeal is defeated then I believe it is "seeya mate" as player managers have to apply to the NRL for certification and the NRL are under no obligation at all to accredit him again- terminated for proven breaches. A bit like a player they refuse to ratify for damaging the game. I can't imagine they'd go through the expensive legal process just to let him back in after 2 years.
Fair analogy. Also like drug bans. Nobody gets rubbed out for life on their first transgression. Repeat offenders get shown the door permanently. Should be similar for managers and in this case it's Moses 2nd positive test.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2020, 9:32 am

Fair analogy. Also like drug bans. Nobody gets rubbed out for life on their first transgression. Repeat offenders get shown the door permanently. Should be similar for managers and in this case it's Moses 2nd positive test.
unless youre the coach who oversaw the systematic doping, then you can come back, even after you are caught breaching your suspension
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: June 18, 2020, 9:37 am

unless youre the coach who oversaw the systematic doping, then you can come back, even after you are caught breaching your suspension
He never had a positive test. ;)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Buzz Rothfield reporting John Bateman's future will be settled in the next week. Also that his freely editable Wikipedia was "hacked into"...

Bateman’s future to be decided in next week

Someone has hacked into Canberra forward John Bateman’s Wikipedia page. It falsely says he was a ballet dancer before he switched to rugby league and that “Dirty John” was a part-time stripper while at the Bradford Bulls in the UK Super League. Bateman is expected to make a decision on his future in the next week.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 88f56f8810

You'd think if it is to be settled in the next week it's either us or Superleague.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

God damn it I hope he stays
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If that's true, im pretty happy about that... i agree it probably means its us or the ESL, which is great since i never want to have to cheer agianst big jonneh
But also this makes me feel oddly optimistic.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: June 20, 2020, 8:39 pm If that's true, im pretty happy about that... i agree it probably means its us or the ESL, which is great since i never want to have to cheer agianst big jonneh
Given the dragons arent releasing graham until they sort out a replacement, they may also be an option. Be happy to have this sorted and have him hopefully stop this frankly selfish method of renegotiating his deal.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I agree with you on the point that it will be good to have this settled which ever way it goes.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Apology accepted
Dont delete this GE
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2020, 11:36 am
simo wrote: June 18, 2020, 9:37 am

He never had a positive test. ;)

Not just breaching they suspension by communicating with the club, but was remotely managing a salary cap breach in that communication.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

What does this mean for John moving forward with the ongoing moses saga is there a slight chance he'll stay
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Botman wrote: June 20, 2020, 8:39 pm If that's true, im pretty happy about that... i agree it probably means its us or the ESL, which is great since i never want to have to cheer agianst big jonneh
Wigan have first option on him if he heads back here and I don't think they can afford him, right now.

Warrington is the wealthiest club, but with Widdop and Inglis their marquee spaces are taken up.

Leeds and maybe Hull could afford him, but the latter are a perennial basket case. Leeds would be close to home and tick a lot of boxes, but they'd have to do a deal with Wigan.

The picture here might change in 12 months, of course, but I don't think there's a straight forward route back, without taking a reasonable pay cut.

My guess is he'll come back strong this year and have another year in Canberra before heading back.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hopefully it gets sorted soon. He's still long odds of staying, with so many crap clubs offloading players to clear cap room.

IMO, it largely comes down to how much longer he wants to say in Australia. I can't imagine too many clubs spending marquee money on a second rower who has a pretty flaky concept of commitment. He's a good option for a premiership contender wanting to take that next step, but he's a pretty high risk signing for a club wanting to make steps to improve over the long run. Not to mention the serious injury issues he's had this year.

The Gold Coast have a good history of making horrible short-term signings on big dollars. Surely they are in the mix.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

It's quite amazing how many clubs do have player on big $$ contracts who aren't earning their keep. No coincidence those teams are mostly bottom 8.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2020, 8:28 am It's quite amazing how many clubs do have player on big $$ contracts who aren't earning their keep. No coincidence those teams are mostly bottom 8.
Yep. I honestly believe Bateman would be a terrible signing for a club like the Dogs, Dragons, Titans or Warriors. He has expressed no interest in staying in Australia long term, and all of those clubs desperately need to improve their spine.

He's a great second rower, but he's the type of player struggling clubs sign in the hope of him improving the team. Good luck to him if he gets great money at one of those clubs, but it says a lot for any one of them if that's where he ends up.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Talking of poor value contracts. Looking at the top paid, even Roosters are guilty of over paying. Crichton on $1m is highest paid 2nd rower in the game. Good player but he's not even the best second rower in the club.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Doesn't matter to the Roosters - they don't have a salary cap.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

After today’s performance anyone who thinks we don’t need Bateman is kidding themselves.
I don’t see anyone ripping into the boys like he would after an error

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

MrPosh wrote: June 21, 2020, 4:05 am
Wigan have first option on him if he heads back here and I don't think they can afford him, right now.

Warrington is the wealthiest club, but with Widdop and Inglis their marquee spaces are taken up.

Leeds and maybe Hull could afford him, but the latter are a perennial basket case. Leeds would be close to home and tick a lot of boxes, but they'd have to do a deal with Wigan.

The picture here might change in 12 months, of course, but I don't think there's a straight forward route back, without taking a reasonable pay cut.

My guess is he'll come back strong this year and have another year in Canberra before heading back.
Thanks for this, it's good insight for someone like me who isnt keeping up with the state of things in the ESL.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Botman wrote: June 21, 2020, 7:35 pm
MrPosh wrote: June 21, 2020, 4:05 am

Thanks for this, it's good insight for someone like me who isnt keeping up with the state of things in the ESL.
State is the right word at the moment - although it's only reflecting the country, I suppose.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Everything he's said recently leads me to believe he's going back to England. Deal was done weeks ago imo.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

The Instagram post the other day with a tribute to his daughter talking about how they will soon be together didn't give me a lot of confidence for next year at least. Hopefully he at least sees out this year.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Does Wigan have any 2nd Rowers we can arrange a swap for?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

tapine and whitehead are good.

Give us a good centre and a back up second rower and take curtis scott off our hands.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Yeah pretty sure some positive news would have been leaked out by now if he was staying.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Brew wrote: June 21, 2020, 7:29 pm After today’s performance anyone who thinks we don’t need Bateman is kidding themselves.
I don’t see anyone ripping into the boys like he would after an error

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
100% agree. I said something about how much value he would have provided in the Game Day thread. I would find a way to pay him if he comitted to staying in Australia.