Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: John Bateman in talks for $3.5m return to Super League

Post by edwahu »

I have no drama with him going back to England provided Wigan pay back the transfer fee. That's reasonable grounds to break a contract.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

simo wrote: June 2, 2020, 3:00 pm
Matt wrote: June 2, 2020, 2:48 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 2, 2020, 2:47 pm My entry level math tells me that's $700k per year.

How much are we paying him again ?

He's making headlines for how much ?
Its Hoopz. He cant string words together, let alone count.
if thats easiest for you to believe
Everything he has written in regards to Bateman in the past 10 days or so could be explained with a...
'well duh!'
Being away from his daughter for this long has been hard.
Covid has made it worse.
Are you really shocked?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

My gut feeling is this is all posturing to try and get the Raiders to offer the $700K they offered last year.
Clearly Don's tactics to allow him to test the market has worked.
It will keep his grubby manager happy and most likely keep JB with us for the next 3 years.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Ricky Stuart appears resigned to losing John Bateman

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: June 2, 2020, 2:04 pmRe: the contracts, there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube
I present to you
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Sick of hearing about it to be honest

Either sign or dont. Oh hang on, you'd already signed for 3 years. Got it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ricky Stuart appears resigned to losing John Bateman

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 2, 2020, 3:59 pm
Botman wrote: June 2, 2020, 2:04 pmRe: the contracts, there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube
I present to you
Well...
this changes everything
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: June 2, 2020, 3:47 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 2, 2020, 2:47 pm My entry level math tells me that's $700k per year.

Everything he has written in regards to Bateman in the past 10 days or so could be explained with a...
'well duh!'
Covid has made it worse.
Are you really shocked?
There has been much more to his reports than that. To date, apart from the (inaccurate) implication that John Bateman sought personally to obtain a release four times, he's been on the money with his reporting, as far as I can see. At least up to this point. They've been significant stories that he's broken.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I hope the club gets the transfer fee back, or at least part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Who knows how this will play out, but it's clear JB is really cashing in on his one good season in the NRL.

If I remember correctly, he's already had a contact upgrade. He's now renegging again. That doesn't sit too well with me.

I'd still like him to be part of our premiership run this season if he is mentally commited to the team for the remainder of the year. If his head isn't quite right, I'm really struggling to allow another club to pick him up.

It's an odd one. I just want it to be sorted soon so the club can move forward with it's retention and recruitment strategy. We need to lock in Cotric, decide on Rapana's future and find a decent replacement or two for the Bateman's, Collins and Murchie. Our pack I looking skinny!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wouldn't hold your breath on "decent" replacements for Bateman, Collins and Murchie. They'll all be min wagers. I think we'd have to strike gold to pick up "decent" at this stage of the season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: June 2, 2020, 5:02 pm Wouldn't hold your breath on "decent" replacements for Bateman, Collins and Murchie. They'll all be min wagers. I think we'd have to strike gold to pick up "decent" at this stage of the season.
That's why I want Bateman to play out this year, but for it to be sorted soon so we can start planning for 2021.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: June 2, 2020, 4:45 pm
Matt wrote: June 2, 2020, 3:47 pm

'well duh!'
Covid has made it worse.
Are you really shocked?
There has been much more to his reports than that. To date, apart from the (inaccurate) implication that John Bateman sought personally to obtain a release four times, he's been on the money with his reporting, as far as I can see. At least up to this point. They've been significant stories that he's broken.
factor in that paul kent has also backed hooper on these reports shows there very well is more to this, given his ties to rick.
Dont delete this GE
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

After Xerri knocked JB off the front page he had to come up with a new angle to get the press back....

I just want this over. If JB doesn't want to be here 100% then go.

But you owe us 2/3 if the transfer fee.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The “inaccurate” release story was also implied to only be inaccurate on the basis of semantics wasn’t it?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Hi character is really taking a massive nosedive here for me.

His word obviously means nothing, nor does his signature. Make a **** call and stay or torpedo your career playing outside of Cogger and Lewis. Just stop trying to take the spotlight off us being legitimate premiership favourites for the first time in two and a half decades. It's a dick move, and you've made a few of them since you started this during grand final week '19.

Bigger and better players than John Bateman have played for the Canberra Raiders, and none of them were bigger than the club. Jonneh should take note of that.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

He's reminding me of a Dugan type person.
And the raiders should ask for 1/2 the transfer fee in return for wherever he ends up.
I'm not sure Ricky will pick him again at the moment, so that might affect his choice to return to england
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

This thread has become embarrassing.

It would be nice if the fans could follow the maturity of the club in this one. This guy has left his child on the other side of the world to come and prove himself in the NRL. He has done just that and more. He has given his heart and sole to the club and his teammates every time he has run out there in green.

The world and international travel has changed significantly since he moved here which would have put a few things for him into perspective. You can not begrudge the guy for trying to maximise his time here or for trying to go home.

Remember this is all being played out by the media not led by JB or the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Rick wrote: June 2, 2020, 8:34 pm This thread has become embarrassing.

It would be nice if the fans could follow the maturity of the club in this one. This guy has left his child on the other side of the world to come and prove himself in the NRL. He has done just that and more. He has given his heart and sole to the club and his teammates every time he has run out there in green.

The world and international travel has changed significantly since he moved here which would have put a few things for him into perspective. You can not begrudge the guy for trying to maximise his time here or for trying to go home.

He was making noise well before covid
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:clap: :clap:
Well said.

It's amazing how quick some players will turn on a player because he's doing what the rest of us strive to do in our everyday life - maximise our income to benefit ourselves and our family.

The ugly side of sporting tribalism. I'd bet none of the people up in arms about his actions would ever even **** consider staying in their current job if a rival was offering substancial pay rises, but that's what they expect of footballers. And when they arent willing to sacrifice substancial income to play for the laundry these fans decide is the most important thing, the players and all their good will is discarded without a seconds thought.

Loyalty is dead. In players, in clubs and yes, in fans.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Rick wrote: June 2, 2020, 8:34 pmRemember this is all being played out by the media not led by JB or the club.
I would argue it's coming from JB's manager, who apparently only does what JB tells him to do.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Mercury
Simon Woolford

Post by Mercury »

The fact is Rick that someone who gives their 'heart and soul' to the club does not, repeat does NOT bring this up in GF week. And then the restart week.

I admire JB as a player. But not this circus

His manager is a #$#/. But he does nothing without JB's consent.

I understand he misses his kid. That is admirable. But he knew what he was getting into when he signed to play on the otherside of the world.

And the fact is that if he signs with the Bulldogs or whoever here he is still away from his daughter.

He appears to be using the Raiders and treating the fans like dirt.

I for one am out of patience.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:

:clap: :clap:
Well said.

It's amazing how quick some players will turn on a player because he's doing what the rest of us strive to do in our everyday life - maximise our income to benefit ourselves and our family.

The ugly side of sporting tribalism. I'd bet none of the people up in arms about his actions would ever even **** consider staying in their current job if a rival was offering substancial pay rises, but that's what they expect of footballers. And when they arent willing to sacrifice substancial income to play for the laundry these fans decide is the most important thing, the players and all their good will is discarded without a seconds thought.

Loyalty is dead. In players, in clubs and yes, in fans.
Agreed. Fans whinging about the drama this is causing need to step back and take a look at this thread. There's more **** drama in here than an episode of Home and away.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Mercury
Simon Woolford

Post by Mercury »

Home and Away?? Good Grief. Talk about the lowest common denominator :?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fair and just.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Can't believe people defend this sort of exploitative Bull... I could take my work hostage as well, but I won't because I'm not a ****. I signed up for a job, I do it. Unless they break the terms we signed on or are exploiting you, why would you even complain? You signed a contract, get the **** on with it you sook.

I know people who signed up for the army and bitched a lot less, even though they hated it and got out the moment their time was up. They signed up for a set period, they sucked it up and did their job. He came over here and got straight into a grand final. Most people would kill for that opportunity not piss and moan about it.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

We lose Bateman and get to play Tapine on the edge, and have a ball running halfback... things could be worse. Bateman helped get us up the tree but maybe we don't need him to stay there
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Ultima wrote: June 2, 2020, 10:51 pm Can't believe people defend this sort of exploitative Bull... I could take my work hostage as well, but I won't because I'm not a ****. I signed up for a job, I do it. Unless they break the terms we signed on or are exploiting you, why would you even complain? You signed a contract, get the **** on with it you sook.

I know people who signed up for the army and bitched a lot less, even though they hated it and got out the moment their time was up. They signed up for a set period, they sucked it up and did their job. He came over here and got straight into a grand final. Most people would kill for that opportunity not piss and moan about it.
Absolutely bang on.

People who are defending this are absolutely delusional. Of course he's entitled to maximise his earnings. But he signed a contract. And he is allowing it to play out in the media.

Do you think Moses is acting unilaterally? Of course he has Bateman's permission to do all of this Bull. And the timing of it can not possibly be coincidental. Firstly during grand final week, then three days before the season restarts when the TAB installed us as premiership favourites. It is 100% a ploy to get the camera pointed at him, and it can't not have a destabilising effect on the team.

You try and do something like this in your workplace and see how long until you're out on your backside.

He signed a contract for a set amount of money, we appreciated his efforts so much we offered him a large increase even though he had two years to run and he's still trying to hold us hostage.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Mercury wrote: June 2, 2020, 10:03 pm Home and Away?? Good Grief. Talk about the lowest common denominator :?
Imagine Leah using Neighbours to boost her earning at H and A. It'd be a bloody outrage - I'd expect ScoMo to step in as he should possibly already be doing with Bateman.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

edwahu wrote: June 2, 2020, 3:47 pm I have no drama with him going back to England provided Wigan pay back the transfer fee. That's reasonable grounds to break a contract.
Bypass the transfer fee and just ask for Morgan Smithies in return.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Has anyone asked Mr Smithies whether he's even vaguely interested in coming to Australia?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: June 2, 2020, 11:18 pm
Ultima wrote: June 2, 2020, 10:51 pm Can't believe people defend this sort of exploitative Bull... I could take my work hostage as well, but I won't because I'm not a ****. I signed up for a job, I do it. Unless they break the terms we signed on or are exploiting you, why would you even complain? You signed a contract, get the **** on with it you sook.

Absolutely bang on.

People who are defending this are absolutely delusional. Of course he's entitled to maximise his earnings. But he signed a contract. And he is allowing it to play out in the media.

Do you think Moses is acting unilaterally? Of course he has Bateman's permission to do all of this Bull. And the timing of it can not possibly be coincidental. Firstly during grand final week, then three days before the season restarts when the TAB installed us as premiership favourites. It is 100% a ploy to get the camera pointed at him, and it can't not have a destabilising effect on the team.

You try and do something like this in your workplace and see how long until you're out on your backside.

He signed a contract for a set amount of money, we appreciated his efforts so much we offered him a large increase even though he had two years to run and he's still trying to hold us hostage.
Which one of you two heroes are willing to give up 150-200k a year out of loyalty to your current company?
And which one of you work in an industry that forces you into retirement when you're in your early to mid 30's? And which one of you work in an industry that damages you physically to the point that when said forced retirement occurs, it can severely limit your career options there after?

Im gonna go ahead and guess neither of you legends are in that boat. This is not an ordinary workplace, or an ordinary career. Comparing your situation to his is asinine.
You arent in his position and if you were, you'd be doing the same thing. Because it's the right thing for you and as much as you probably want to pretend you're some righteous person who would honour a contract that pays you below market for the love of the fans, the system in place allows for you to do what is best for you and your family and if you want to tell me that's not what you'd do, i firmly call Bull.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Haha god your a tosser
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

If you can't set your life up on even a 5 year career on 600k I don't feel sorry for you
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: June 3, 2020, 8:35 am

Absolutely bang on.

Which one of you two heroes are willing to give up 150-200k a year out of loyalty to your current company?
And which one of you work in an industry that forces you into retirement when you're in your early to mid 30's? And which one of you work in an industry that damages you physically to the point that when said forced retirement occurs, it can severely limit your career options there after?

Im gonna go ahead and guess neither of you legends are in that boat. This is not an ordinary workplace, or an ordinary career. Comparing your situation to his is asinine.
You arent in his position and if you were, you'd be doing the same thing. Because it's the right thing for you and as much as you probably want to pretend you're some righteous person who would honour a contract that pays you below market for the love of the fans, the system in place allows for you to do what is best for you and your family and if you want to tell me that's not what you'd do, i firmly call Bull.
Depends, has my company paid an exorbitant amount to relocate me to get me and set me up in a position where im comfortable? Am i still being paid and treated well? Or are you the kind of person who would just take that for granted and not factor that in?
Dont delete this GE
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Botman wrote:

Absolutely bang on.

And they already get paid better then the rest of the country because of the short career so that argument doesnt float