Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Re: Ricky Stuart appears resigned to losing John Bateman

Post by Roy Rover »

hrundi89 wrote: June 1, 2020, 10:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote: May 31, 2020, 11:02 pm It's pretty clear that the club will soon start looking elsewhere for a replacement. I do like the idea of picking up a player like Corey Harawira-Naera on the cheap.
How about the no **** policy?
Curtis Scott? :hi
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

honestly, if I am the raiders, I just let him see out his contract till 2021.

At most up the offer to 650 and offer 2 more years in 2022 and 2023. I am not sure at all that you want him locked in to 2024 considering:-
- how keen he is to walk
- injury history
- his age at 2024... thats a long long time away.
- we have tapine and whitehead who are quality.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

CHN could be the genius pickup. Don’t ask me why, but it just feels ‘right’
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

sprintman wrote: June 1, 2020, 12:10 pm CHN could be the genius pickup. Don’t ask me why, but it just feels ‘right’
The publicity stink alone makes it a big no.

We've already had Scott blow up in our faces. No need at all to court disaster. We can get a very good established 2nd rower for 500/600k who wants to go to a strong club. Or we can get 1 or 2 promising young 2nd rowers for 250/300k each.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Roy Rover wrote: June 1, 2020, 11:08 am
Seiffert82 wrote: May 31, 2020, 11:02 pm It's pretty clear that the club will soon start looking elsewhere for a replacement. I do like the idea of picking up a player like Corey Harawira-Naera on the cheap.
Curtis Scott? :hi
True but CHN's effort was on a different level for mine...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I think Hudson Young is as good as any possible signing Ive seen mentioned, and a bloody sight cheaper than many
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Everything else I've seen about him has been good. He made a stupid decision and the Dogs really didn't want to sack him.

He'll cop his punishment this year, but he's not even close to the Dave Taylor level of risk and Taylor turned out to be a good pickup.

I'm also keen on Hudson Young but with Murchie, L Bateman and J Bateman (potentially) gone we also need some depth. CNH would be a bargain.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Sorry, but someone who's using schools as a hunting ground to pick up girls is bad news and I don't want him anywhere near our club. It's bad PR all round and the whole thing was a disaster. A huge part of the Raiders' good PR is school visits and junior club visits and if I was a parent I would be deeply uncomfortable with a player known to sleep with schoolgirls coming to my daughter's school.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

James Hooper is now saying Bateman is looking at going back to England
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Hooper just said on 360 that he has reached back out to Wigan.
**eagerly awaits JB’s social media comments on his favourite journo’s scoop**
Last edited by Old School Green on June 1, 2020, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

James Hooper is now saying Bateman is looking at going back to England
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Makes sense especially after all the crap he has copped lately..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

raiderskater wrote: June 1, 2020, 6:36 pm Sorry, but someone who's using schools as a hunting ground to pick up girls is bad news and I don't want him anywhere near our club. It's bad PR all round and the whole thing was a disaster. A huge part of the Raiders' good PR is school visits and junior club visits and if I was a parent I would be deeply uncomfortable with a player known to sleep with schoolgirls coming to my daughter's school.
CHN didnt use a school as a hunting ground
He met the girl outside of school and work environment.

You're thinking of Jayden Okunbor.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

raiderskater wrote: June 1, 2020, 6:36 pm Sorry, but someone who's using schools as a hunting ground to pick up girls is bad news and I don't want him anywhere near our club. It's bad PR all round and the whole thing was a disaster. A huge part of the Raiders' good PR is school visits and junior club visits and if I was a parent I would be deeply uncomfortable with a player known to sleep with schoolgirls coming to my daughter's school.
He didn’t, that was the other bloke.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

CHN would be a good pick up.
I also like the idea of bringing Vaughan back, but understand this is almost impossible.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

GreenMachine wrote: June 1, 2020, 7:09 pm CHN would be a good pick up.
I also like the idea of bringing Vaughan back, but understand this is almost impossible.
You mean impossible because of dollars?? Or because the blood was so bad that neither would be keen?
If we lose Bateman CHN would be a no brainer...particularly on career redemption money you’d think..
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
LozzaG
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by LozzaG »

I think something that has been forgotten is that it was a two year deal with a third in Bateman’s favour. So while he does appear to be agitating fairly prematurely (grand final week in particular) he appears to have been seeking to take up that option and extend (obviously at a higher price).

I feel more comfortable about him leaving after the weekend as I think you could see that influence and desire to win may be baked into the team now rather than dependent on Bateman as it appeared to be when he had a broken face last year.

“It’s a unique situation with the England international, who has signed a two-year deal with the Raiders which also includes a one-year option.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ra-1902897

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Old School Green wrote: June 1, 2020, 7:38 pm
You mean impossible because of dollars?? Or because the blood was so bad that neither would be keen?
If we lose Bateman CHN would be a no brainer...particularly on career redemption money you’d think..
I got the impression there was bad blood.
I have no knowledge of how the relationship ended, hopefully I’m wrong.

Vaughan would be the perfect guy to bring in as we could leave JT on the right edge and have the perfect partner/foil for Papalii.

I don’t see it happening as I think Mary will get the sack and a new coach would keep Vaughan and get more out of him.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

GreenMachine wrote: June 1, 2020, 8:02 pm
Old School Green wrote: June 1, 2020, 7:38 pm
I got the impression there was bad blood.
I have no knowledge of how the relationship ended, hopefully I’m wrong.

Vaughan would be the perfect guy to bring in as we could leave JT on the right edge and have the perfect partner/foil for Papalii.

I don’t see it happening as I think Mary will get the sack and a new coach would keep Vaughan and get more out of him.
Yeh from memory it wasn’t happy at the end.
If Vaughan agitated it could be interesting. Mary’s gooooone soon you’d think despite Saints having no money etc
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There was certainly some bad blood... i dont know that PV would be eager to back and play under Ricky, and im less convinced Ricky would want to bring PV back into this team unless there was some concessions made on both sides

But it's simply not going to be viable because the cap implications are significant and we've got a lot of money tied up in the forwards already and some pretty promising young guys coming through... i cant see it. He'll end up at a club like the Roosters replacing JWH.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Just get Bateman's daughter out here, put her in a nice Canberra school etc. 650,000 is the highest we should go.

I don't know whether he has custody or the mother

BTW some comments about letting Cotric go - I wouldn't let the currebt Aust test winger go. I think he looked very good the first two rounds, was a bit quiet against Melbourne but still a great try and run down the wing and kick for the last try, almost Ettingshausen like Re 2nd test 1990 against Great Britain when Cliff Lyons scored that great try. And he busts a lot of tackles and his hard to tackle, needs to come in and get involved more
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 1, 2020, 8:50 pm Just get Bateman's daughter out here, put her in a nice Canberra school etc. 650,000 is the highest we should go.

it's not any of our business to say whether or not he should bring his daughter out here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LozzaG wrote: June 1, 2020, 7:56 pm I think something that has been forgotten is that it was a two year deal with a third in Bateman’s favour. So while he does appear to be agitating fairly prematurely (grand final week in particular) he appears to have been seeking to take up that option and extend (obviously at a higher price).

I feel more comfortable about him leaving after the weekend as I think you could see that influence and desire to win may be baked into the team now rather than dependent on Bateman as it appeared to be when he had a broken face last year.

“It’s a unique situation with the England international, who has signed a two-year deal with the Raiders which also includes a one-year option.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ra-1902897

That report has proven to be incorrect: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/202 ... s/#raiders

The official contract list from the NRL identifies options... Bateman in listed as straight out contracted for 2021.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Taking a 10 year old girl from her home and a place she's probably very comfortable, with friends and family and support networks etc, and moving her across the world into a country she doesnt know, putting her into a school where she doesnt know anyone, where her father and sole care giver has significant travel demands and odd working hours?

Yeah... nah.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2020, 8:19 pm There was certainly some bad blood... i dont know that PV would be eager to back and play under Ricky, and im less convinced Ricky would want to bring PV back into this team unless there was some concessions made on both sides

But it's simply not going to be viable because the cap implications are significant and we've got a lot of money tied up in the forwards already and some pretty promising young guys coming through... i cant see it. He'll end up at a club like the Roosters replacing JWH.
JWH just re-signed till 2023. But Asu Kepaoa is off contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: June 1, 2020, 9:08 pm JWH just re-signed till 2023. But Asu Kepaoa is off contract.
That'd take him to about 34/35 wouldnt it?
I know he's a hard **** bastard and a great forward but i dont know if he's gonna hold up that long! Impressive if he can.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Botman wrote:Taking a 10 year old girl from her home and a place she's probably very comfortable, with friends and family and support networks etc, and moving her across the world into a country she doesnt know, putting her into a school where she doesnt know anyone, where her father and sole care giver has significant travel demands and odd working hours?

Yeah... nah.
This... the nerve of some footy fans ****

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2020, 9:11 pm
zim wrote: June 1, 2020, 9:08 pm JWH just re-signed till 2023. But Asu Kepaoa is off contract.
That'd take him to about 34/35 wouldnt it?
I know he's a hard **** bastard and a great forward but i dont know if he's gonna hold up that long! Impressive if he can.
Yeah he'd be 34. I don't expect him to see out his contract. The roosters would have learned a bit from the medical retirements.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: June 1, 2020, 9:13 pm |Yeah he'd be 34. I don't expect him to see out his contract. The roosters would have learned a bit from the medical retirements.
Yep, that's how i expect that to play out too... he plays a very physically demanding style and he's done it at a very high level for a long time... but the signs of decline are already there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bateman seems to be struggling. There is no way he's making anywhere near the money in the UK that he is here. Their salary cap is half ours and their comp isn't close to running again.

This is becoming a bit stupid. He needs to figure out what's important to him.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 1, 2020, 8:50 pm Just get Bateman's daughter out here, put her in a nice Canberra school etc. 650,000 is the highest we should go.

This is a flat stupid post. It's been fairly obvious for a while that she lives predominantly with her mother, and the mother and Johnny are not together. Why should her mother be robbed of seeing her daughter grow up just to keep Bateman at a club? Why should the daughter have to leave everything she knows and loves behind? At 10 years old moving cities is a huge deal; moving to the other side of the world away from her family? Are you insane?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2020, 9:25 pm Bateman seems to be struggling. There is no way he's making anywhere near the money in the UK that he is here. Their salary cap is half ours and their comp isn't close to running again.

This is becoming a bit stupid. He needs to figure out what's important to him.
If Wigan are prepared to bring him back as their marquee player there is potential for him to actually earn even more than $800,000. (In the articles circulating at the time he signed for us it mentioned that if he were to return to Wigan he wanted to return as a marquee player)

The Super League has a system (similar to the A-League over here) where you can have two marquee players who you can pay as much as you like/can afford and only 150,000 pounds of it is included in your team's cap.

This is how SBW is currently getting paid 5 million a season to play for the Toronto Wolfpack.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I'm expecting Bateman to go, no inside info just a feeling i have.

I think the whole NRL thing has gotten a bit tough for him

Being away from his family, the standard of training etc

He pretty much wants to make as much as he can and get back, and good luck to him

If he goes to the dogs i give him 12months max. He won't cope with their lack of success and team culture

If Brenko couldn't fit in John won't be either

He was always a bit different to the other pommy players at our club in the way he ( and most likely because of his daughter) bought into the Aussie life.

Elliott , Josh and Ryan all will more likely then not stay in Australia after they retire

John rightly so will return to the uk
Vaccinated
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Wigan forum expect him back there next year. Info came from a video that since been taken down by YouTube for ‘rules infringement’.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

To see how far we've come as a squad, last year we barely won a game without Bateman. This year we've won 3. While I'd be sad to see him go ( though I still think he's a chance of staying), I do think it's true the cultural influence he's had on the winning mentality of the team is well embedded now and we are less dependent on him. That said, I rate him very highly and hope we can work something out so he stays a bit longer.