Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
sprintman wrote: May 27, 2020, 10:45 am Not sure Sutton has a future here. Hasn’t quite made the grade...
I don't get it, he was showing some great potential in the middle of last year.
I rate him. I don’t think he’s been given the same chances as Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by Old School Green »

Green Blogger wrote: May 27, 2020, 2:21 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: May 27, 2020, 12:35 pm
GMGT wrote: May 26, 2020, 11:43 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: May 26, 2020, 10:54 pm
gangrenous wrote: May 26, 2020, 10:29 pm

These two lines don’t seem consistent together
Why is that? Stuart wanted Leilua to stay too.

Unfortunately both players wanted more money than the club was prepared to spend. Both players were given the opportunity to speak with other clubs before their contract with us expired. Leilua walked and Bateman is more than likely to follow him.

We moved on from Leilua (who was arguably the best centre in the comp when fit) and we'll do the same with Bateman.
Ricky wanted Leilua to stay? :shock: That's just not true, Ricky told Leilua that he is not good enough for the team.
Yes he did. At the same point of the process, when Leilua asked for an extension and permission to test the market 2 years before his contract expired, Stuart wanted him to stay.

It went a bit pear shaped late in the season when Leilua got seriously injured and was struggling to come back in shape before the finals.

I think it was absolutely fair to say Stuart wanted to retain him if the attitude was good and the price was right. It was only when it was clear Leilua was wanting to move on that the club had to reach out and take a punt on Scott.
Ricky started looking for options after Leilua's performance late last year. The second that Ricky knew he could get Curtis Scott, Leilua was on the outer. Then after being given an extended holiday for his wedding, he returned to training significantly overweight. We chased Scott because we did not want Leilua, not as a result of BJ wanting to leave.
Re watching the final try from the GF (after six-again-gate) it's the rocks from BJ. Jogging back onside and they just go straight past him. Coupled with the knee/sin bin situation in that Manly game; the no pass to Raps in the GF, it's almost like it was the last straw for Stick.

In saying that BJ said he was filthy after Stuart held him back from returning from the neck injury and he says he kind of made his mind up then.

I was a big BJ advocate because of his diamonds..but upon reflection it was the right decision i think.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

There’s a reason why Lui won the coaches award last season and is a popular teammate.

Granted Lui doesn’t offer much in attack, (which is what most fans notice) but he’s very good defending on the line, he doesn’t unexpectedly rush out of the defensive line, he communicates well with the guys beside him , is a good wrestler and apparently a good trainer.

These are the little one percenters that often go unnoticed, but explain why a player can be unexpectedly popular with the coaching staff and teammates but not with fans.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Old School Green wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: May 26, 2020, 10:54 pm Why is that? Stuart wanted Leilua to stay too.

Unfortunately both players wanted more money than the club was prepared to spend. Both players were given the opportunity to speak with other clubs before their contract with us expired. Leilua walked and Bateman is more than likely to follow him.

We moved on from Leilua (who was arguably the best centre in the comp when fit) and we'll do the same with Bateman.
Ricky wanted Leilua to stay? :shock: That's just not true, Ricky told Leilua that he is not good enough for the team.
Yes he did. At the same point of the process, when Leilua asked for an extension and permission to test the market 2 years before his contract expired, Stuart wanted him to stay.

It went a bit pear shaped late in the season when Leilua got seriously injured and was struggling to come back in shape before the finals.

I think it was absolutely fair to say Stuart wanted to retain him if the attitude was good and the price was right. It was only when it was clear Leilua was wanting to move on that the club had to reach out and take a punt on Scott.
Ricky started looking for options after Leilua's performance late last year. The second that Ricky knew he could get Curtis Scott, Leilua was on the outer. Then after being given an extended holiday for his wedding, he returned to training significantly overweight. We chased Scott because we did not want Leilua, not as a result of BJ wanting to leave.
Re watching the final try from the GF (after six-again-gate) it's the rocks from BJ. Jogging back onside and they just go straight past him. Coupled with the knee/sin bin situation in that Manly game; the no pass to Raps in the GF, it's almost like it was the last straw for Stick.

In saying that BJ said he was filthy after Stuart held him back from returning from the neck injury and he says he kind of made his mind up then.

I was a big BJ advocate because of his diamonds..but upon reflection it was the right decision i think.
Sticky wants guys who have a team first mentality.. BJ always came across as being about himself first, even this year in the early stages of the paycut talks when he said they still should be paid in full..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666 wrote: May 27, 2020, 2:05 pm Didn't Sutton extend at the end of last year?
In September, to the end of 2022, same time as Whitehead extended.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

greeneyed wrote: May 27, 2020, 5:14 pm
Raiders666 wrote: May 27, 2020, 2:05 pm Didn't Sutton extend at the end of last year?
In September, to the end of 2022, same time as Whitehead extended.
Then surely he is still in the plans
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: May 27, 2020, 3:37 pm There’s a reason why Lui won the coaches award last season and is a popular teammate.

Granted Lui doesn’t offer much in attack, (which is what most fans notice) but he’s very good defending on the line, he doesn’t unexpectedly rush out of the defensive line, he communicates well with the guys beside him , is a good wrestler and apparently a good trainer.

These are the little one percenters that often go unnoticed, but explain why a player can be unexpectedly popular with the coaching staff and teammates but not with fans.
You can criticise Lui's play on occasions but you can never criticise his commitment and effort. You would love to see his attitude in some of the more naturally talented players.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 26, 2020, 10:54 pm
gangrenous wrote: May 26, 2020, 10:29 pm

These two lines don’t seem consistent together
Why is that? Stuart wanted Leilua to stay too.

You can't re-write history based on the final outcome. It only started when Leilua said he wanted to test the market WELL BEFORE his contract expired. That was well before we entered into discussions with Scott. At that stage the club said they wanted to keep him, but not at a premium salary...so they gave him permission to talk to other clubs.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2020, 5:21 pm
BJ wrote: May 27, 2020, 3:37 pm There’s a reason why Lui won the coaches award last season and is a popular teammate.

You can criticise Lui's play on occasions but you can never criticise his commitment and effort. You would love to see his attitude in some of the more naturally talented players.
He just seems to have a few unforced dropped balls in him. You dont want that from your solid worker types.
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

simo wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2020, 5:21 pm

He just seems to have a few unforced dropped balls in him. You dont want that from your solid worker types.
That I’ll agree with.

It’s funny, he went something like 14 games basically without an error to start the season and was then going about two or more a game after that. Which certainly isn’t what you want from your fringe prop.

But Lui hasn’t missed a tackle this year and according to his stats on the Raiders site has only missed 115 tackles during his entire career at the Raiders. That’s about how many Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks miss on a bad day.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Lui has been far better for us then sutton.

I didnt even know there was a debate there.

Sutton needs to up his speed imo.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

TongueFTW wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:03 am
julian87 wrote: May 27, 2020, 7:20 am Good on Canterbury for trying to improve but I don’t see it happening. They’re generally tough enough as it is. They defend and make meters alright. But they can’t score.

They’ve simply got the worst spine and backline we’ve probably ever seen in the the NRL era. No amount of McCulloughs, Thompsons and Batemans are going to turn that around and help them score points. Paying 2 new forwards 1.6 or so million for them will probably turn out disastrous imo.
Recruiting McCullogh tells you everything you need to know. Exactly the type of player they don’t need.

I feel like the forum instantly turns on a player once there is a sniff of them leaving. Make no mistake - Bateman was pivotal in our run to the GF last year, and some of those closer games, we don’t win if he isn’t there. Let’s not forget, we were 0-4 with him missing last year - I am not saying it was all due to him, but there is no doubt at all, he makes a big difference to this team.
Arent we 2-0 without him this year?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

GreenMachine wrote: May 27, 2020, 11:06 am I honestly believe if the club want him bad enough, they can keep him.
I wouldn't be spending above $700K to keep him. That would be the maximum in my opinion.
If he's unhappy, let him go and see what shakes out of the Bronco's pile given how heavy they have invested in forwards recently...
This - pick up TPJ again or CHN from the dogs.

You have to manage your cap above everything else. Let him be a problem for someone elses cap.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

papabear wrote: May 27, 2020, 7:15 pm
TongueFTW wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:03 am
julian87 wrote: May 27, 2020, 7:20 am Good on Canterbury for trying to improve but I don’t see it happening. They’re generally tough enough as it is. They defend and make meters alright. But they can’t score.

They’ve simply got the worst spine and backline we’ve probably ever seen in the the NRL era. No amount of McCulloughs, Thompsons and Batemans are going to turn that around and help them score points. Paying 2 new forwards 1.6 or so million for them will probably turn out disastrous imo.
Recruiting McCullogh tells you everything you need to know. Exactly the type of player they don’t need.

I feel like the forum instantly turns on a player once there is a sniff of them leaving. Make no mistake - Bateman was pivotal in our run to the GF last year, and some of those closer games, we don’t win if he isn’t there. Let’s not forget, we were 0-4 with him missing last year - I am not saying it was all due to him, but there is no doubt at all, he makes a big difference to this team.
Arent we 2-0 without him this year?
Against 2 of the worst teams in the competition.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

So Elliot whitehead just made a sarcastic joke about Bateman joining the bulldogs on an insta post ...

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That means he's staying for sure.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: May 27, 2020, 7:39 pm

Titans were equal 1st and Warriors only 1 win out the 8 until we got hold of them!
heavs
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by heavs »

BadnMean wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:43 pm

Titans were equal 1st and Warriors only 1 win out the 8 until we got hold of them!
This guy gets it
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

heavs wrote: May 27, 2020, 9:47 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:43 pm

This guy gets it
Outstanding first post!
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

CJ42 wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:15 pm So Elliot whitehead just made a sarcastic joke about Bateman joining the bulldogs on an insta post ...

... And it said...?
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

GMGT wrote:
CJ42 wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:15 pm So Elliot whitehead just made a sarcastic joke about Bateman joining the bulldogs on an insta post ...

... And it said...?
I thought it was funny!

It shows its banter n actually gives me hope

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

I hope bateman enjoys putting his body on the line and defending his heart out to defend the 6 points the bulldogs manage to score every second week.
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: May 28, 2020, 9:54 am I hope bateman enjoys putting his body on the line and defending his heart out to defend the 6 points the bulldogs manage to score every second week.
He probably would.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Bennyinthewest wrote: May 28, 2020, 9:40 am
GMGT wrote:

... And it said...?
I thought it was funny!

It shows its banter n actually gives me hope

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I still don't know what the insta post was? Haha.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

JB was spruiking some Beats By Dre headphones he got sent.
They happened to be blue.
EW said they would match his Bulldog's jersey.

That was it.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Roy Rover wrote: May 28, 2020, 12:28 pm JB was spruiking some Beats By Dre headphones he got sent.
They happened to be blue.
EW said they would match his Bulldog's jersey.

That was it.
And if you zoom in on the pic you can see the Beats by Dr Dre headphones were sent by a "D. Pay".
Make of that what you will. I assumed it was Dennis Pay the Head of Marketing of the world famous Beats by Dre Heaphone range. I may be wrong though...
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

after this weekend, bateman would have played in 23 of a possible 30 games since being with the club. 23/30 x 800k = $613,333. roughly what hes on as it is. coincidence?
Dont delete this GE
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Cool, he can have another few weeks off
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay confirms club's interest in Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay and club captain Josh Jackson have thrown their support behind the club's reported pursuit of wantaway Raiders star John Bateman.

"He's a quality player, we're always interested in really good quality players and he's one of those," Pay told NRL Tonight. "There's been a fair bit of media speculation around him but we're always interested in good players."

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... 5dnclttwcv

Johns and Fittler give their views on John Bateman's contract standoff with Canberra Raiders

John Bateman's contract standoff with the Canberra Raiders discussed by Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns.

Read more and video: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/john-batem ... 63a43756df
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Johns is entirely correct. What on earth are the Dogs doing loading up on backrowers? They need a spine. Same as the Gold Coast and Dragons.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

People said the same thing when we signed him.

Joey is kidding with most of the players he rates ahead of him as well.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 29, 2020, 2:52 am Johns is entirely correct. What on earth are the Dogs doing loading up on backrowers? They need a spine. Same as the Gold Coast and Dragons.
He's certainly right about the Dogs and their situation. JB isnt going to solve their problems. Not even a little bit.
JB is the icing on the cake, he's the guy who comes in to a good team, provides that mongrel and competitive spirit to lift the squad to the next level... he's not the foundation piece for a side that you build around. No second rower is, save for MAYBE peak SBW
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: May 29, 2020, 9:50 am
Seiffert82 wrote: May 29, 2020, 2:52 am Johns is entirely correct. What on earth are the Dogs doing loading up on backrowers? They need a spine. Same as the Gold Coast and Dragons.
He's certainly right about the Dogs and their situation. JB isnt going to solve their problems. Not even a little bit.
JB is the icing on the cake, he's the guy who comes in to a good team, provides that mongrel and competitive spirit to lift the squad to the next level... he's not the foundation piece for a side that you build around. No second rower is, save for MAYBE peak SBW
wins are built on a foundation of good defense. the problem is the dogs seem intent on rebuilding the foundation over and over. why arent they chasing harry grant or a half with promise?
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:00 am
wins are built on a foundation of good defense. the problem is the dogs seem intent on rebuilding the foundation over and over. why arent they chasing harry grant or a half with promise?
Your guess is as good as mine. I mean my feelings on Sam Williams are well documented but christ, if they want to start stacking SOME wins and building SOME culture, why arent they are after him? It's still got me a little miffed at why they didnt kick the tyres on Sezer for a year or two... these arent long term options but Sezer was a good NRL half last year, played his role, is a local dogs junior... Sam Williams is serviceable and they allow you to start actually building some sort of culture of some winning, whilst you turn over every rock looking for the next big thing.

It's weird to me that they lose CHN, and immediately they think they need to replace him like for like.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:14 am
simo wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:00 am
Your guess is as good as mine. I mean my feelings on Sam Williams are well documented but christ, if they want to start stacking SOME wins and building SOME culture, why arent they are after him? It's still got me a little miffed at why they didnt kick the tyres on Sezer for a year or two... these arent long term options but Sezer was a good NRL half last year, played his role, is a local dogs junior... Sam Williams is serviceable and they allow you to start actually building some sort of culture of some winning, whilst you turn over every rock looking for the next big thing.

It's weird to me that they lose CHN, and immediately they think they need to replace him like for like.
i'm still shaking my head they let rhyse martin go. they genuinely hate anything outside of a generic set of six, bomb and seeing how long they can defend for.
Dont delete this GE