Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: May 25, 2020, 8:04 pm One thing I will add is that I still really dislike how so many people just don’t take the salary cap into account when comparing players. That’s what this is all about.

I think absolute worst case scenario should be we can’t match the deal so we try and win the comp this year and if he’s gone after that so be it. I realize us fans live in the now but I believe sometimes clubs don’t think enough about that. Even if we miss this year and it’s untenable so he leaves it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Stuart pulls off some rejinking and has us capable next year minus Bateman.

Bottom line is we HAVE to have him here this year while we’re a shot. Beyond that who knows. Surely the bloke has enough ticker to commit to that.
That's the way we have to think in modern football. The moment you let players who've been here for one season think they have the club over a barrel- you're cooked. JB is an outstanding 2nd rower. But we are a chance at winning the comp and plenty of damn good 2nd rowers will jump at the chance to play under Ricky, have a shot at the title and earn 500/600k.

It isn't a spine position. Whitehead and Hodo are more essential than Bateman and only one of them is near 800k (hint, he's in the spine).
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by GMGT »

Raiders666 wrote: May 25, 2020, 8:30 pm So a 4 year deal with the Dogs is doing the rounds
What an absolutely depressing way to piss your career down the drain.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

800k to run off lachlan lewis or jack cogger? You'd want every penny.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

British Bulldog? Canberra Raiders star forward John Bateman on Canterbury's radar for 2021

The Bulldogs will formally register their interest in Raiders gun John Bateman later this week after Canberra gave him permission to test the open market.

With CEO Don Furner confirming the Englishman has Canberra's permission to negotiate with rivals, NRL.com understands Canterbury officials will sound out Bateman's agent Isaac Moses in coming days.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/25/bri ... -for-2021/

John Bateman's NRL future: Canterbury Bulldogs primed to pounce on Raiders star

Canterbury have emerged as the team most likely to benefit from John Bateman’s contract dispute with the Canberra Raiders with revelations the English cult hero could be a Bulldog as soon as next season.

“I think he’ll be at the Canterbury Bulldogs next year,” Phil Rothfield said. “Ricky Stuart, he’s the one that can make the decision to release him.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 27b4e2986b
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Money > Premierships
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He'll stay.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: May 25, 2020, 9:00 pmHe'll stay.
Yep, just waiting for the heading to change again..

BATEMAN RESIGNS WITH RAIDERS
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: May 25, 2020, 9:05 pm

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side"
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

I’ve completely changed my mind on this and convinced he’s gone

Too many bridges have been burnt and I suspect he may of upset some of his English mates with a few of these stunts

Not to mention the shoulder surgery right before Rd 1, seemed strange at the time but now makes sense
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

For some reason I'm not as high on Bateman as many others. I think his style lends itself to injury and I think the comp will continue to work him out.

Hopefully we get a good season out of him this year and he can move on as a premiership winner next season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't think the club is in the business of playing silly buggers with player managers these days either.

In Stuart's mind you're either a Raider or you're not. It's a bit like Leilua or Austin in the end. If you're not commited to the club then you're better off elsewhere.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: May 25, 2020, 9:06 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 25, 2020, 9:05 pm

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side"
That's a RIGHT triangle, you idiot!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Seiffert82 wrote:For some reason I'm not as high on Bateman as many others. I think his style lends itself to injury and I think the comp will continue to work him out.

Hopefully we get a good season out of him this year and he can move on as a premiership winner next season.
I tend to agree about the comp working him out and he is easy to stir up and do something stupid.

But as I’ve said countless times before, maybe not on here, after having Mr McIntyre in our Work Corporate Box vs Bulldogs last year he had some great stories...but one about Bateman saying he single handily changed the mentality of the playing group into a winning one and said the close losses end now. He got everyone behind him.

We don’t make the GF last year without him.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: May 25, 2020, 8:22 pm Oh right sorry...
Yeah let’s sack him, and then he’ll sue us for wrongful termination and win in a canter since none of those are legal grounds for sacking him

You’ve done it again, Neeegz
Galaxy brain!
Never been called that before.
Cool.
He isn't fit for work for something that didn't happen at work..
Get real
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Geez, some of you whip yourselves into such a frenzy. I'd love to see him stay, but if he goes, he goes and life goes on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Neeeegz wrote:
Botman wrote: May 25, 2020, 8:22 pm Oh right sorry...
Yeah let’s sack him, and then he’ll sue us for wrongful termination and win in a canter since none of those are legal grounds for sacking him

You’ve done it again, Neeegz
Galaxy brain!
Never been called that before.
Cool.
He isn't fit for work for something that didn't happen at work..
Get real
It's still not a breach of his contract.. none of your rant is

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Perth Raiders
Simon Woolford

Post by Perth Raiders »

Paul Kent hit the nail on the head. It has nothing to do with Bateman wanting a release, or even wanting that much more money (although he’ll take it).

It’s all Moses wanting to get paid! He gets nothing until a new deal is signed, can’t allow him to wait till 2022, so makes this noise now.

I honestly think Bateman will re-sign before the end of the year!
Bring League West.

2010 The GH Premiership- Premiers
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I think Paul Kent hit the nail on the head. Its got nothing to do with Bateman wanting a release, or even wanting that much more money, although he’ll take it.

It’s all about Moses wanting to get paid. You see, he gets nothing until a new deal is signed. Moses can’t allow Batemab to wait till 2022, so he’s making this noise now.

Honestly, I think Bateman will re-sign before the end of the year
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 25, 2020, 10:53 pm I think Paul Kent hit the nail on the head. Its got nothing to do with Bateman wanting a release, or even wanting that much more money, although he’ll take it.

It’s all about Moses wanting to get paid. You see, he gets nothing until a new deal is signed. Moses can’t allow Batemab to wait till 2022, so he’s making this noise now.

Honestly, I think Bateman will re-sign before the end of the year
I hear what you're saying Fuifui, but what's a Batemab?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Player managers typically get about 7% of the contract value. On $800k per year, that's almost $200k over a 4 year deal (outrageous).

It's a win-win if Bateman pisses off that Moses douchbag and the Raiders re-sign him for something closer to $700-$750k per season.

The added benefit is JB gets to stay with a winning team.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

If he gets sad from time to time because he misses his little girl, imagine how miserable he’ll feel running off the Bulldogs spine players.

A million dollars wouldn’t be enough.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Not sure what to believe but if JB is instigating this or some of this, its a bit cheeky after one year and right now hes not even fit to play.

Good player but busted shoulder and possibly causing trouble?
Seen this before in various ways.
Granted his child is in England but he knew that when he signed for us.
We must not get held to ransom, I trust in Ricky.

Hope you have integrity JB, im sure Hodgo, Smelly and GW would know the truth
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

If you were John Bateman why on earth would you even consider leaving? An elite forward pack, a damn fine backline, one of the most exciting halves pairings in the comp and to top it all off you have the best hooker in the business running the show. Did I mention we are a team on the brink of glory, ever so close to that elusive premiership.. good luck achieving that or even making the finals at a team such as the Bulldogs.

Its remarkable the difference between Hodgo for example compared to Bateman.. Hodgo bleeds green and just wants to be here because he loves the joint. He has always said it's not about the money and that he is willing to take a bit of a pay cut to keep this roster together. By all reports he hasn't even looked at going to another club or even tested his value on the market since he has been at the club. If only Johny boy would do the same...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

A few points:

1. Canterbury are the same as what JB described Hoops - those losers don't even have a sponsor. We should sign Corey HN in retaliation for 300,000 given he got the sack. Or Josh Jackson for 250,000. We would think hard if Napa was available for 100,000. Stuart and Clyde went to Canterbury - look what happened.

2. Both Canterbury and St George won't make the 8 this year or next. JB should be called "Shannon" as in S Boyd. Or Latrell.

3. Isaac Moses sucks.

4. Why do footballers need agents anyway? to give that 8-10%? they should do it themselves. Plus 40% tax on top. Just send an email to all coaches for starters

5. I'd be letting go of someone like Tapine or Sutton to give Bateman that extra.

6. I don't begrudge him trying to earn more. It's his career and life. But money doesn't buy happiness. Especially long winters in the bottom four. Ask Foran and Ben Hunt. He should refund the 250,000 transfer fee first if he breaks his contract early. The pressure will be too much for him to lead the side of losers compared to being in a good team like the Raiders (I deliberately didn't say great or v good as we need to show we are not a one year wonder)

7. Donny F should set up a scholarship / schooling/ uni grant for his daughter. Get her out here full time
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Well he ain't no Scottie Pippen.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Damoni wrote: May 25, 2020, 9:07 pm I’ve completely changed my mind on this and convinced he’s gone

Too many bridges have been burnt and I suspect he may of upset some of his English mates with a few of these stunts

Not to mention the shoulder surgery right before Rd 1, seemed strange at the time but now makes sense
What bridges have been burnt?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Off field issues aside, and that has to be part of it from the clubs perspective

But on the field. If we lost Bateman, CNH is a genuine gun who might come fairly cheaply in a years time when he’s allowed to return to the code
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Neeeegz wrote: May 25, 2020, 5:39 pm Bateman can sit on the sidelines for the next 2 years for all I care.
Good player, he couldn't help Great Britain win any tests last season. He's over rating himself and is starting to remind me of Dugan.
Either sack him or send him back to England to see his kid... no NRL for jonyboy until 2022.
Greedy ****
Yep so as there's a possibility he's leaving, we can any chance of winning the comp this year by not playing him. Solid thinking that.

The way some fans think is hilarious. Like they have a mortgage on a player just cos he plays for the club they follow. Got news for ya lads. It means far more to the fans than the majority of the players...
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Botman wrote: May 26, 2020, 8:39 am Off field issues aside, and that has to be part of it from the clubs perspective

But on the field. If we lost Bateman, CNH is a genuine gun who might come fairly cheaply in a years time when he’s allowed to return to the code
Jury's out on a genuine gun for mine. CHN is a very good attacking player. Reasonably quick, runs a good line, offloads at will. But he fits in with the '17 and '18 raiders style. He isn't a great defensive backrower imo. More the flashy Bronson Harrison type. Prefer a tough hard nosed solid defender myself.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Hazza wrote: May 26, 2020, 8:44 am
Neeeegz wrote: May 25, 2020, 5:39 pm Bateman can sit on the sidelines for the next 2 years for all I care.
Good player, he couldn't help Great Britain win any tests last season. He's over rating himself and is starting to remind me of Dugan.
Either sack him or send him back to England to see his kid... no NRL for jonyboy until 2022.
Greedy ****
Yep so as there's a possibility he's leaving, we can any chance of winning the comp this year by not playing him. Solid thinking that.

The way some fans think is hilarious. Like they have a mortgage on a player just cos he plays for the club they follow. Got news for ya lads. It means far more to the fans than the majority of the players...
It's called a contract mate.
Look it up.
He's not irreplaceable
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

scottie pippen was under paid by a good 5-10 million a year over 6 years and he goes for surgery at the start of pre season.

John Bateman maybe 100k under paid for a month or two, goes for surgery at the start of the season. Big opportunity for Tapine to secure the other second rower spot. Goodluck at the dogs John, you were great for your one season here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bateman in Bulldogs talks as Kent reveals Raiders star’s costly contract blunder

Raiders star John Bateman could be donning the royal blue and white in 2021 with Canterbury-Bankstown reportedly keen on acquiring the services of the reigning Dally M Second Rower of the Year.

“The Raiders put a deal to John Bateman last year which he knocked back with his old manager,” Paul Kent said. “He then had another manager come along... they’ve had a bit of toe in the water, they’re now saying to the Raiders what they want is what they knocked back last year.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c69f1cfcea

Theory on Raiders’ ‘passive’ Bateman stance as club great doubts he’s worth $800,000

Canberra great Laurie Daley says he doubts that Bateman is worth what he’s asking for.

“I don’t pay him $800,000, $650,000 would be the cut-off. I couldn’t pay $800,000 for him. He’s a great player, but when I’m paying $800,000 I want someone who’s going to bring something a little different to what John’s going to bring to the team.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 120ff3f63a

VIDEO: Will Bateman remain a Raider? https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/26/wil ... -a-raider/
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

I despise the way managers play this game - sign a new player, I am not getting paid so agitate for a new contract so that I get my cut. Moses is one of the biggest blights on the game and the NRL needs to do something about this behaviour.

Whilst I will be sorry to see Bateman leave if he goes, in terms of salary cap structure it does not make sense to the balance of the cap to have three international backrowers which is what we currently have. It only works because Bateman is clearly on unders. To pay three backrowers as internationals moving forward will clearly throw the team balance out and that is why if this becomes a real issue I expect Ricky and Don to let Bateman walk away.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hazza wrote: May 26, 2020, 8:48 am
Botman wrote: May 26, 2020, 8:39 am Off field issues aside, and that has to be part of it from the clubs perspective

Jury's out on a genuine gun for mine. CHN is a very good attacking player. Reasonably quick, runs a good line, offloads at will. But he fits in with the '17 and '18 raiders style. He isn't a great defensive backrower imo. More the flashy Bronson Harrison type. Prefer a tough hard nosed solid defender myself.
Don’t agree that he’s a poor defender. I think some players around him have some issues but he individually is generally able to read the play and is a willing and physical hitter

I think he’s very solid and would fit in with our structure really well.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Pippen example is an interesting one. It's impossible to happen now because they have fixed contract structures in the NBA, another example of how having more restrictions in the player market actually ends up benefiting the players in the long run. The RLPA should consider pushing for the same here rather than insisting on the wild west we have now.
Last edited by edwahu on May 26, 2020, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.