Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Re: Canberra Raiders star John Bateman permitted to talk to other clubs after $800,000 demand

Post by hobbsy »

He's just posted on his Instagram saying the story is made up and never asked for a release
edwahu

Re: Ricky Stuart hoses down speculation around the future of star English forward John Bateman

Post by edwahu »

Azza wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:06 pm He's a great player.

I wouldn't spend 800k on him.
I wouldn't extend him on that, but I'd pay it to stop him leaving now. Our premiership window shuts without him.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Re: Canberra Raiders star John Bateman permitted to talk to other clubs after $800,000 demand

Post by UncleDrew »

Don’t stress lads, see his recent tweet :haha:
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

“Better stick to polishing that bald head big fella you’re 💩 at being a journo”
Bateman, J, 2020.
💚💚
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

GE, can we NOT have the thread title upgraded when the story is from Hooper?!

That prick isn't a journalist's **** and he writes fairytales. As evidenced by Bateman's latest Tweet.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ooft that's a clap back and a half

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Old School Green wrote:“Better stick to polishing that bald head big fella you’re Image at being a journo”
Bateman, J, 2020.
ImageImage
can we change the thread title to this?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The fire is coming from somewhere - if it's his manager, which many suspect it is, the I really think JB is better off dumping him rather than having him keep pulling this kinda ****. Not all fans will see through it and he could eventually burn up his goodwill.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Sid wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:33 pm
Old School Green wrote:“Better stick to polishing that bald head big fella you’re Image at being a journo”
Bateman, J, 2020.
ImageImage

X2. Get on it GE!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Old School Green wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:39 pm
Sid wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:33 pm
Bateman, J, 2020.
ImageImage

X2. Get on it GE!
GE looks at most things from the most negative side.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Steve is OK leave him alone
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Azza wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:49 pm Steve is OK leave him alone
Steve is a great bloke and a great friend, but I would never call him an optimist!!
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Azza wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:49 pm Steve is OK leave him alone
he's a good fella....hence deep down i know he wants to change it and hopefully will soon :)
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

Why does **** like this seem to go with Isaac Moses??
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Jeez talk about some mixed messages with all this.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman staying with Canberra Raiders

Post by raiderskater »

I approve of the new thread title.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'It does my head in': Don Furner says John Bateman staying with Canberra Raiders

Raiders chief executive Don Furner has brushed off suggestions John Bateman wants to leave the club, adamant he will be in lime green for the duration of his contract. "Never once have I asked for a release. Bull story," Bateman wrote on Twitter.

"John has never come in and asked, he has never sent a text, an email, or asked for any release... He is with us until the end of 2021. Meeting four times? It just does my head in," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

How can Fox get rid of an Andy Raymond yet keep James Hooper. Can't be due to his knowledge, he legitimately has no idea about Rugby League - you can tell when he offers opinions.

Mind boggling.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

I was over Bateman when he pulled that crap in the GF.
He might talk about his daughter but all he's teaching her is that his word means zilch
I don't want him disrupting everyone else.
GF week now 1 week out from the re-start.
If this is true JB can go jump.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Mercury wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:26 pm I was over Bateman when he pulled that crap in the GF.
He might talk about his daughter but all he's teaching her is that his word means zilch
Imagine posting this without reading the thread and realising it's Hooper and therefore made up.

Dude.

BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Yeah, Hooper’s an idiot but if anyone srsly thinks there’s no smoke here without fire they’re kidding themselves. JB has form with this sort of thing and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he’s playing both sides. He was very intentional with what he said in GF week, and he’s being very careful now with saying he hasn’t asked for a release. Doesn’t mean he hasn’t asked his manager to reach out to these clubs or sow the seeds today in the media. He’s probably just trying to be smarter about it than he was in GF week
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Yeah, yeah I jumped in with both feet in my mouth.....
:opps
However I still think something is going on.
If I'm wrong I'll apologise. We'll see.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Get rid of your manager please John. Nothing but trouble
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

I can see the headlines now... 'Bateman signs multi million dollar deal to join the roosters'
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BlameItOnTheBooger wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:47 pm Yeah, Hooper’s an idiot but if anyone srsly thinks there’s no smoke here without fire they’re kidding themselves. JB has form with this sort of thing and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he’s playing both sides. He was very intentional with what he said in GF week, and he’s being very careful now with saying he hasn’t asked for a release. Doesn’t mean he hasn’t asked his manager to reach out to these clubs or sow the seeds today in the media. He’s probably just trying to be smarter about it than he was in GF week
of course there is fire. JB has made it plainly clear he wants his contract redone. And i suspect if we're here in Feb 2021 with it as it stands, he will be shortly thereafter with a new club

But im also fairly sure that if the Raiders give him an offer that is suitable (and that's exactly what they should do) than he will be more than happy to sign it and Moses will be thrilled to have a contract inked that sends the comission his way and all of this goes away.

None of this is a big deal, but it's a timely reminder that if we allow this to fester it can very quickly become a big deal.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

GE, still waiting patiently for that thread name change......
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Mercury wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:26 pm I was over Bateman when he pulled that crap in the GF.
You're a joker, it's the media and/or his manager! You get over one of our best players because someone spins some **** in the media? Good grief.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox Sports has learned of the story through rival NRL clubs who were surprised when Bateman’s name was mentioned as being available despite being contracted to the Raiders until the end of 2021.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4ef50e4453

That’s an addition to that story since it was first published... and you can draw your own conclusions.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

There are a few points to make here.

The first is that an upgrade for JB's contract was surely coming anyway, and is even more likely now that we've lost 3 "fringe" backrowers. (Just as an aside, does anyone have a clue what the NRL is saying about clubs having a mandatory 30-man squad for salary cap purposes? Because, I mean, where are we picking up another 3 forwards?)

The second is that what other club has as many mates and translators for the bloke from northern England, as us? And his best mate and mentor is right here?

The third is that we are a great club in a great place. And just who is going to better? Have we any idea of what club is offering these riches? Seriously, I don't know...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 23, 2020, 12:04 am There are a few points to make here.

The first is that an upgrade for JB's contract was surely coming anyway, and is even more likely now that we've lost 3 "fringe" backrowers. (Just as an aside, does anyone have a clue what the NRL is saying about clubs having a mandatory 30-man squad for salary cap purposes? Because, I mean, where are we picking up another 3 forwards?)

The second is that what other club has as many mates and translators for the bloke from northern England, as us? And his best mate and mentor is right here?

The third is that we are a great club in a great place. And just who is going to better? Have we any idea of what club is offering these riches? Seriously, I don't know...
NRL is not enforcing 30 man squad at 30 June this year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'd like to back up a point Lui_Bon made about JohnBoy.

The one about the environment and the current batch of Poms in our squad that have settled into Canberra and love it. Hodgo became a citizen didn't he ?

JohnBoy is in good hands surrounded by people who have his best interests at heart.

It would have taken a heart to heart to get him here in the first place. Having to leave his daughter behind was a very tough call..remember he's only 26..A big call.

Hodgo, Whitey and co got him here. They told him how good the place was, how good the boys were, how good the coaching staff were and most importantly the trajectory this club is on. He's a professional sportsperson..

We paid a huge transfer fee to Wigan I believe..HUGE..

The club made JohnBoy an offer to come here and test himself in the best Rugbrugh Leeg comp in the world and he delivered in spades..

He deserves an upgrade and Don will move heaven and earth to keep him..

So put on ya jandels, fill your chilly bin and drink..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't know where Canberra are at with their salary cap. While I'm over here mate, I have to do what's best for me and best for my family. Moving forward I'll just have to weigh up my options and see what's there.
- John Bateman, the week before the Grand Final

There's clearly something to the story. He changed his manager to Isaac Moses and it's quite clear they have been after a significant contract upgrade ever since.

The club forked out $450k as a transfer fee to get him here, so there is no way they will be willing to let him go after doing all the heavy lifting to get him out of his contract with Wigan. His current manager doesn't give a rats about that though, so JB has obviously been shopped around by Moses a number of times in an attempt to force Canberra to upgrade his contract.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:59 pm
BlameItOnTheBooger wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:47 pm Yeah, Hooper’s an idiot but if anyone srsly thinks there’s no smoke here without fire they’re kidding themselves. JB has form with this sort of thing and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he’s playing both sides. He was very intentional with what he said in GF week, and he’s being very careful now with saying he hasn’t asked for a release. Doesn’t mean he hasn’t asked his manager to reach out to these clubs or sow the seeds today in the media. He’s probably just trying to be smarter about it than he was in GF week
of course there is fire. JB has made it plainly clear he wants his contract redone. And i suspect if we're here in Feb 2021 with it as it stands, he will be shortly thereafter with a new club

But im also fairly sure that if the Raiders give him an offer that is suitable (and that's exactly what they should do) than he will be more than happy to sign it and Moses will be thrilled to have a contract inked that sends the comission his way and all of this goes away.

None of this is a big deal, but it's a timely reminder that if we allow this to fester it can very quickly become a big deal.
Yeah what Botman said. He clearly likes the club and gets on well with the playing group and seemingly with Ricky as well. He also clearly wants a better deal and frankly he deserves one. I don't think there would be a single true Raiders fan out there that would be against giving him one either, nor do I think the club would be against that as long as they have the cap space. Hopefully some of the player movements in recent days have been in anticipation of making that space to give the upgrade he wants. I'm confident the current administration can get done what needs to be done.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Yeah, agree with Botman. Raiders took a risk on him, but he also took a risk coming out here, and is away from family to make us much as possible - he needs an upgrade.

In saying that, I don't understand some of the numbers being thrown around. I was under the impression he was on around 350K when he came out here. Now the articles are saying he is currently on 580K, hoping for 800K? Did we already upgrade him for the next couple of years, without extending? If the new figures are accurate, I don't think there are many second rowers in the game currently worth 800K, particularly with the uncertainty around the salary cap going forward, and I don't think many other clubs would be too willing to give him that amount (David Fifita is probably one that could get that amount, but that is largely based on future potential, he is a few years younger than Bateman). I think something like 650K for Bateman is around fair value - if he wants substantially more, I don't think he will be getting it, in the current climate.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

They wouldn't upgrade his current deal without an extension. That would be pointless.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.