25%

Total votes: 12

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2020 Rd 3 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: May 31, 2020, 6:39 am
gergreg wrote: May 31, 2020, 5:08 am Playing devils advocate for a moment, that Papenhuyzen 'no try' should have been awarded. We would all be filthy if a call like that went against us.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

If it went up as a try it stays a try. It was right to stay as no try though.
Yep, for me it was probably a try. But as Tr said, it was a genuine 50/50 and I don’t think they’d have overturned it which ever way it went
Last edited by Botman on May 31, 2020, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Great way to restart the season and celebrate Big Papa's 200th with a tough fought win Go The Raiders !!!!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

the video ref's seem to have been told to back the onfield call as much as they can

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: May 31, 2020, 7:22 am the video ref's seem to have been told to back the onfield call as much as they can

Agree Boney. With only one Ref they seem to be trying to instill some confidence in them when they make a call. I reckon that's a good thing. It is only the absolute clanger that should be overturned not the each way bets.

Back on the performance of George Williams. The only real area of squad improvement needed by the team in 2020 over 2019, was in the 7 position. Early days yet but we may well be seeing the final piece of the Premiership puzzle falling into place. Exciting times to be a Raiders fan.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Thought it would take me a little while to warm back in to the NRL. I didn't watch the previous matches this round but last night's game has me buzzed

Storm and Raiders are the 2 favourite teams to win the comp, lol at nein for not picking it as one of their 3 FTA games this round

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Tapine and Williams are the key to winning the comp, this year.

Tapine and Sezer were the two weaknesses in last year's team. Williams is a significant upgrade and if Tapine can stay on the field and play close to his potential (which is significant), and assuming key players stay fit, there's a championship on its way to Canberra.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2020, 7:13 am
simo wrote: May 31, 2020, 6:39 am
gergreg wrote: May 31, 2020, 5:08 am Playing devils advocate for a moment, that Papenhuyzen 'no try' should have been awarded. We would all be filthy if a call like that went against us.

If it went up as a try it stays a try. It was right to stay as no try though.
Yep, for me it was probably a try. But as Tr said, it was a genuine 50/50 and I don’t think they’d have overturned it which ever way it went
That was my take. Nothing conclusive either to overturn the on field call. Goes up Try then it's a Try.

I get more pissed off when the bunker overturns a call without conclusive evidence.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I guess that's all fair commentary on it. And I'm always banging on about consistency which I guess is also difficult in 50/50 situations.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Ive felt for the refs. The pace of the game has been extremely quick and they seem buggered. I dont think its long before we see a bad error made by them but ive genuinely thought they have done a great job to keep up so far
Dont delete this GE
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Very pleasing to go down to Melbourne and come back with the points. I didn’t think we’d be able to do it without Bateman so that’s an extra bonus!

The storm were well below their best and did some very uncharacteristic things. A prop kicking was definitely one of those. That said their quick men carved us up a few times but the desperation in our scramble made the difference.

Rocky is right that we made it hard for ourselves in the second half. At least 2 completely unnecessary offloads that handed the ball over. We need to get that out of the game.

Overall I have been impressed with the situational awareness from the players. One example was papalii not touching the ball when he would have been offside and allowing another player to get to it. These are small things but it is good to see we are becoming a smart team as well as a tough one.

This looks like a team on a mission to go one better than last year.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I was unable to watch live last night due to Reasons, but I'm re-watching today.

I know everyone is going crazy about our second try - and well they should, that pass from Williams! Brilliance! - but I just wanted to elaborate on our first try. By now we've become fairly used to Croker pulling off ludicrous flicks and taps and slips to his winger, but I thought this was extra special because as far as I remember, Croker and Rapana have never played on the same side. And yet Croker flicked it on without even looking, because he trusted that Rapana would be there. They wouldn't have had more than a few hours to train together, if that, and Croker just trusted Rapana would be where he needed him to be. What an ultimate signal of the bond between our players, their professionalism, their skill.

Also, wow, I never realised how filthy Bromwich is. So far he's put a knee in Papa's face and a forearm in someone else's. No penalties of course.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'm Bate Man wrote: May 30, 2020, 10:47 pm
If anyone thinks a conversion will decide our season they need to get there head read.
At the start of last year if anyone said a charge down of a charge down by a trainer on field 3rd minute and the ref waving 6 again in front of 40 000 people but then pretending he never would decide our season I would have said get your head read. (I agree with you actually, but it's a crazy game)
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

reptar wrote: May 30, 2020, 9:16 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Melbourne's tactic seems to be lifting. They have done that a LOT this half. Dangerous

Yes, I've noticed that. Possibly to make the ball carrier panic?
I think it's a time thing. Once they have you up, even if the ref calls held, no ref on earth is going to penalise you for taking a second or two to put the guy down gently from a lifted position (or waltz him down facing the wrong way, whatever they choose). They've just found another little trick to control ruck speed without the "wrestle" on the ground.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: May 31, 2020, 9:19 am Ive felt for the refs. The pace of the game has been extremely quick and they seem buggered. I dont think its long before we see a bad error made by them but ive genuinely thought they have done a great job to keep up so far
I read somewhere one of the reasons they went to two refs is that now they have the biotrackers (whatever they are called that go in the back of the shirt neck, gps + fitbit stuff) they found that the single match ref spent about 80% of the match with a heart rate reaching 176bpm when trying to ref a game. Trying to make cool, calm decisions under pressure when operating at redline heart rate and so tired must be incredibly hard.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

raiderskater wrote: May 31, 2020, 9:46 am I was unable to watch live last night due to Reasons, but I'm re-watching today.

I know everyone is going crazy about our second try - and well they should, that pass from Williams! Brilliance! - but I just wanted to elaborate on our first try. By now we've become fairly used to Croker pulling off ludicrous flicks and taps and slips to his winger, but I thought this was extra special because as far as I remember, Croker and Rapana have never played on the same side. And yet Croker flicked it on without even looking, because he trusted that Rapana would be there. They wouldn't have had more than a few hours to train together, if that, and Croker just trusted Rapana would be where he needed him to be. What an ultimate signal of the bond between our players, their professionalism, their skill.

Also, wow, I never realised how filthy Bromwich is. So far he's put a knee in Papa's face and a forearm in someone else's. No penalties of course.
Not only is Bromwich is dirty and filthy, but he is a cocaine drug taker who should have been suspended for 8 weeks but only got 2 weeks as the cheating Storm imposed their penalties. And NAS only gets 3 weeks of International matches for a fight - compared this to Wighton's 10 matches

Very good win last night - we were in control all match and led from the front, unlike our last two wins at AAMI where we came back at the end.

What's so pleasing is we have a lot of improvement in us - Curtis Scott needs to improve ball control and defence (he rushed up quite a bit and there there line breaks on his side of the field), and some stupid offloads which led to errors by Corey H and Papa. Also D Lui getting better but always at leas one error in him. Our defence was superb, also kicking game in getting restarts in first half unlike when Sezer was halfback. G Williams as superb and what's great is now we are not reliant on one person for attack but have Hodgo, Jack and George running the show
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Curtis Scott improve his defence?

Ummm.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 31, 2020, 11:13 am
raiderskater wrote: May 31, 2020, 9:46 am I was unable to watch live last night due to Reasons, but I'm re-watching today.

Not only is Bromwich is dirty and filthy, but he is a cocaine drug taker who should have been suspended for 8 weeks but only got 2 weeks as the cheating Storm imposed their penalties. And NAS only gets 3 weeks of International matches for a fight - compared this to Wighton's 10 matches

Very good win last night - we were in control all match and led from the front, unlike our last two wins at AAMI where we came back at the end.

What's so pleasing is we have a lot of improvement in us - Curtis Scott needs to improve ball control and defence (he rushed up quite a bit and there there line breaks on his side of the field), and some stupid offloads which led to errors by Corey H and Papa. Also D Lui getting better but always at leas one error in him. Our defence was superb, also kicking game in getting restarts in first half unlike when Sezer was halfback. G Williams as superb and what's great is now we are not reliant on one person for attack but have Hodgo, Jack and George running the show
C'mon now....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams... a 10 rating according to Brad Fittler.

Sportsbet has suspended betting on him for the Dally M, while the TAB has suspended the Dally M market... presumably so odds can be recalibrated.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm hesitant to rate Scott on last night because he was clearly being targeted. I thought as a team we did a good job of helping him not retaliate too much, actually. Clearly there's bad blood between him and the Storm and things were a bit rough, plus he probably desperately wanted to show them he's better off at the Raiders.

He was pretty good the first two rounds, so we'll see how he goes next week.

Williams was outstanding. Brilliant. Loved him. Yep, he's ours now, Wigan ain't getting him back.

I thought everyone had a pretty good game, actually. Tapine was very good, only the minor shoulder charge problem, when even Brandy scoffs that there was nothing in it you know it was a nothing. That try-saver hold-up was absolute MAGIC. I thought they were scoring for all money, but Tapine with that utter strength to just flip him over!

Shout-out to Lui for finally, finally pulling off a steal. And it was textbook! Clearly he's been working hard on that over the off-season. Hodgson remains the classic pickpocket thiefy. The Storm player holding onto Cotric, who had both hands wide, was interesting and I'm glad Atkins didn't fall for it.

Atkins was a bit hold and cold. How the absolute hell he missed that knock-on from the Storm right before Tapine's try-saver was absurd. For that matter, how'd the touchies miss it? It was so obvious.

The game this most reminded me of was that 2016 home game against the Storm, where we frustrated the flip out of them and defended our tails off. I still remember rising to my feet with the rest of the crowd as our defense got stronger and stronger. It was the same last night. The Storm just weren't going to score. At no point was I genuinely afraid. We just always seemed to have the answer.

I must say though, Round 3 is a bit early to be having to sit on the lid of the basket containing my excitement to stop it escaping and going out of control, boys. :lol:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: May 31, 2020, 11:35 am George Williams... a 10 rating according to Brad Fittler.

Sportsbet has suspended betting on him for the Dally M, while the TAB has suspended the Dally M market... presumably so odds can be recalibrated.
Bloody hell, this must be what it is like for a young Sydney halfback when they play one good game!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Defensively unbelievable in the second half.

Took our limited opportunities in the first.

Nowhere near our best and the Storm made some bad errors under some pressure late in the game, but we largely had the game under control.

Good times.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wake up call for Bateman too. Nice to be talking about how dominant our team is across the park. This is a great squad, with or without him...and it's not like his $600k salary won't buy us a decent replacement.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

We now have the best half and the best rake in NRL.

I wouldn't trade George W. for Moses or Pearce, and DCE while very good would be too big an ego for our set-up (and his defence is nowhere near as good as George's). George has got enormous confidence on both sides of the ball, everything that Sezer and S. Williams lacked. He could play as a true bully-boy half-back (like DCE), but he is not greedy to get the ball, so he allows Hodgo to do his thing, or distribute to Jack as he sees fit. Beautiful for our set-up...a Premiership winning acquisition for the Raiders. The missing piece from 2019.

And Hodgo is better than Smith full stop. Smith is smart as hell, executes at near 100%, and is the driving force of the Storm. But the 6 again change takes away his ability to control the game in the ruck, to control the pace through bitching at the refs. And that means that his relative lack of pace is going to hurt him. Hodgo and Cook will now be the most dangerous 9s in the comp, but Hodgo is better than Cook...multi-dimensional, smarter and makes his teammates better.

Now, if we can just get some brains into Tapine, Scott and Horse, get some super-glue on Lui's hands, and get Bateman to realise that playing in a winning team is going to be better for him than the few extra dollars (half of which go to the taxman) he's chasing, we'll win the Premiership.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

George has got more than a bit of Andy Gregory about him
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Chicka's shoe wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:53 pm George has got more than a bit of Andy Gregory about him
With genuine pace and ability to defend against bigger players.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:57 pm
Chicka's shoe wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:53 pm George has got more than a bit of Andy Gregory about him
With genuine pace and ability to defend against bigger players.
yes, an upgrade in those departments. Papenhuyzen is no giant though but, how good was that?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Watching the game again. Some points:

Outside backs rushed up too many times.
Lui finally getting a strip right will only fuel his desire for more (sadly).
Defence in the second half was amazing
Tapine's try saver was better than the moon landing.
Josh Hodgson's strip and 40/20 confirms his spot as best 9 in the NRL.

George Williams is a gun.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

simo wrote:Ive felt for the refs. The pace of the game has been extremely quick and they seem buggered. I dont think its long before we see a bad error made by them but ive genuinely thought they have done a great job to keep up so far
Was thinking this myself

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

That Tapine try saver gets better everytime I see it.

He has no business being there to clean up like a fullback in the first place. He's chasing against Olam, a genuine speedster.

Then to have the speed of mind and technique to be able to twist his body right around rapidly AND then hold him upwards once the twist is completed to help his teammates secure the ball. There was no margin for error.

At such a critical point in the game where the tidely was completely going against us, and a try would've let them right back into the game.

It exemplifies everything that has changed about this side; the kind of traits that we yearned for as fans for so long. It's finally arrived.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

greeneyed wrote:George Williams... a 10 rating according to Brad Fittler.

Only a 10? Can see why Wayne Bennett continued not to select him in a losing English side....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:George Williams... a 10 rating according to Brad Fittler.

Or they’re going to award him the Dally M early
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Great win and even better - judiciary clean slate. Tapine no charge for the should charge penalty. Storm are losing big Nelson for a week though which makes it even better!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Green Blogger wrote: May 31, 2020, 3:03 pm Great win and even better - judiciary clean slate. Tapine no charge for the should charge penalty. Storm are losing big Nelson for a week though which makes it even better!
For kicking on the third?
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: 2020 Round 3 Melbourne Storm V Canberra Raiders: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/c ... st#license
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: May 31, 2020, 1:14 pm Watching the game again. Some points:

Outside backs rushed up too many times.
Lui finally getting a strip right will only fuel his desire for more (sadly).
Defence in the second half was amazing
Tapine's try saver was better than the moon landing.
Josh Hodgson's strip and 40/20 confirms his spot as best 9 in the NRL.

George Williams is a gun.
I'll forgive our outside backs that in this game. Storms backs are so much faster than ours (in general) that squeezing them for room is the best option. As soon as they have you going backwards or sliding, they just slice right through with speed once they get going. I think it was a deliberate ploy to push right up at every opportunity, rather than poor judgement.

Seiffert82 wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:21 pm Defensively unbelievable in the second half.

Took our limited opportunities in the first.

Nowhere near our best and the Storm made some bad errors under some pressure late in the game, but we largely had the game under control.

Good times.
I think we'll see every team make plenty of errors with the new play style. Exhaustion = errors. Been notable in every game. I also think we defend the storm so well they actually panic against us when their usual pet plays don't work the first time or two.