Storm 13+
No votes

Total votes: 13

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2020 Rd 3 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by simo »

what a poor message trying to move sutton to top up bateman would send. batemans been more than happy for the raiders to uphold their end of the contract and still pay him for the 8 games hes missed through injury, but he wants to break his side the second hes offered more. imagine wanting to keep a guy whos basically happy to take the wage directly off a team mate.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've wondered how players deal with that as far as a work place goes. You know your boy just got topped up 200k and then they tell you that there's no money for the upgrade you've been chasing. Shout me a few coffees mate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders on MIX commentators rejoice at restart

Phil Small, Nick Risteski, Chris Coleman and Adam Jansen will return to the airwaves this weekend, granted an extra-long pre-game timeslot to cover all the build up to the Raiders' clash against the Melbourne Storm.

"The Raiders are almost a religion for people and for us it's an easy sell because we're diehard Raiders fans."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

GMGT wrote: May 29, 2020, 12:00 am
BadnMean wrote: May 28, 2020, 10:12 am
GMGT wrote: May 28, 2020, 9:39 am No sutton is definitely weird. He hasnt been sited in first grade for a long time now. I thought he was getting better and better as he got more experience and was really starting to show his credentials. He kinda just suddenly got dropped one week and hasn't been seen again :?
His performances slipped slightly but I thought it's his first year of NRL, maybe he just needs a chance to refresh and take stock and then back into the grind. Clearly Ricky thinks Luis is essential. Then it's a matter of picking Sutton would mean leaving Guler out.

Guler clearly needed a chance and has a high ceiling- he ripped right into some of the biggest meanest packs, moves slightly better than Sutton and made an impact I'm not sure Sutton could have. Guler is also our biggest unit- helpful when other teams have an Asafa-Solomona or similar whopping big prop. In the end I think that's the hard call, not better than Guler or Hors at this stage and Papa, Sia and Lui are set in stone.
Agree with everything you've said there except, "Guler is also our biggest unit" I'd always thought he was on the smaller side and definitely wouldnt stack up against someone like a josh papalii for example.
In terms of being over 1.9 metres tall- a long shape vs Lui and papalli who are more barrel shapes. He's at least 3 inches taller than Papa... And he'd weigh about the same now that he's filled out, simply due to that extra height.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart falling in love with rugby league again after rule changes

Canberra Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart has fallen in love with rugby league all over again after a Thursday night's game under new rules.

"I was really losing faith in the game, I was getting annoyed watching rugby league because I thought there was too much mess after the collision," Stuart revealed. "We really saw an open and fairer football and a little bit back to the old days where we saw a lot of free flowing attack, second phase football.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-co ... 66d094c853

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy believes ruck maestro Cameron Smith is the ideal player to use the new NRL rules to their advantage when they host Canberra on Saturday night: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/storm-warn ... 17d3db55db

VIDEO: Stuart lauds free flowing rugby league: Canberra Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart has given the six again rule a postive review after watching the Eels v Broncos game on Thursday night saying it has cleaned up the ruck and opened up the game. Ricky also opened up on John Bateman saying the Raiders don't want to lose him: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/29/stu ... by-league/

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... s-v-storm/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No Rapana in the captains run. Didn't see Starling either so guessing the 19 will have Kai O'Donnell and Matt Frawley in it.
Boys looking fit.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart lauds Josh Papalii’s contribution to Green Machine on the eve of 200th game

Ricky Stuart has praised Josh Papalii on the eve of the forward’s 200th game for the Raiders.

"We've still got so much football in front of Josh and so much of a career to achieve, but I feel very privileged to say I've coached Josh Papalii. His humility and the respect he has for the club and the players that he plays with is a wonderful trait of his."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders pack suited to NRL's six-again rule change

The Canberra Raiders move to a trimmed down pack should help them adapt to the new "six again" rule.

"It comes down to fitness ... it's certainly going to test players in regards to their fatigue levels, what kind of quality contribution they've got under fatigue, because that's a big part of our game," Ricky Stuart said. "The big fellow at 115-120kg wanting to run at a 85kg half all game is going to have to do it a little bit more tired."

VIDEO: Stuart praises Papalii ahead of 200th game: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... club-game/

VIDEO: The best of Josh Papalii: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... h-papalii/

Canberra Raiders seeking help of fans to produce a virtual Viking Clap for Raiders v Knights at Campbelltown Stadium in Round 4: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... king-clap/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... -and-send/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

They’ve certainly trimmed down the numbers of the pack
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart as the Green Machine prepares for tomorrow's trip to Melbourne to face the Storm. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/XPj550zTkao

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Bailey out, Jordan in.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:26 am We've just lost three middle forwards and talking about needing to re-stock the squad. Why would the Raiders want to let Ryan Sutton go, who is signed to 2022 and shows a heap of promise?! We can't let players go to top up Bateman... we have to have to have a minimum number of players. And we should be showing players some loyalty, if we expect players to be loyal.
Why care about middle forwards who never played nor had any meaningful impact?

Makes no sense to me, nor does paying Sutton to do nothing.

I’d rather keep Bateman and use the younger players.

And I couldn’t care less if Bateman leaves. If Ricky deems him too expensive, then bye bye! I’ve already said I would not pay over $700k for his services..

More than happy to pool the cash and pick up the next best thing.

My point is Sutton isn’t that, nor are the middle forwards we released. They’ve all had zero impact. The club should be reaching higher.

I have way more faith in what Don and Ricky are doing now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

With respect to the players who have left, I think Ryan Sutton is clearly in a different class... though Murchie shows promise. In any case, we have to have a squad of 30 players, on a given salary cap (or possibly a slightly reduced squad, based on some media reports). We have to devote a certain portion of the cap to minimum contract players... it’s not available to top up John Bateman. I agree with what the club seems to be doing, and putting a limit on what they’re prepared to pay Bateman (and forwards).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

simo wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:43 am what a poor message trying to move sutton to top up bateman would send. batemans been more than happy for the raiders to uphold their end of the contract and still pay him for the 8 games hes missed through injury, but he wants to break his side the second hes offered more. imagine wanting to keep a guy whos basically happy to take the wage directly off a team mate.
I don’t think the players care.
They want to get paid and win football games.
It’s more likely they’d support upgrading Bateman to keep the side winning at the sacrifice of Sutton (or whoever) that isn’t making any sort of a difference to us possibly winning a premiership while the window is open.

I get the salary cap juggle, but part of that is clearing dead wood so that you get the most out of your squad. If it means losing a few players who don’t play, to upgrade someone who has a direct impact to our performances, then you make that move.

Watching these first 3 games back and you can clearly see mobile forwards who can defend and offload will be at a premium. I don’t see Sutton fitting being that player.

If Bateman is too expensive, you find the next best thing.

Anyway, regardless, I think the club is handling everything well at the moment.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 29, 2020, 9:29 pm With respect to the players who have left, I think Ryan Sutton is clearly in a different class... though Murchie shows promise. In any case, we have to have a squad of 30 players, on a given salary cap (or possibly a slightly reduced squad, based on some media reports). We have to devote a certain portion of the cap to minimum contract players... it’s not available to top up John Bateman. I agree with what the club seems to be doing, and putting a limit on what they’re prepared to pay Bateman (and forwards).
He might very well be a different class to those who have left, but that isn’t really saying much.

I also think there is something to be said about how the new rules and interpretation of the ruck are impacting the match results so far. Mobile forwards that can defend and attack will be at a premium.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You're being extremely unfair to Sutton, GreenMachine.
Not sure the angle here is but the analysis you're providing on him doesnt match his performance on the paddock
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 29, 2020, 9:29 pm With respect to the players who have left, I think Ryan Sutton is clearly in a different class... though Murchie shows promise. In any case, we have to have a squad of 30 players, on a given salary cap (or possibly a slightly reduced squad, based on some media reports). We have to devote a certain portion of the cap to minimum contract players... it’s not available to top up John Bateman. I agree with what the club seems to be doing, and putting a limit on what they’re prepared to pay Bateman (and forwards).
He might very well be a different class to those who have left, but that isn’t really saying much.

I also think there is something to be said about how the new rules and interpretation of the ruck are impacting the match results so far. Mobile forwards that can defend and attack will be at a premium.
I've gone on the record backing players like Bateman as being critical under these new rules but that doesn't mean there is no place in the game for the big, power forwards. Souths and Broncos were outmuscled in the middle and is a big part of them losing. Sutton fits that mold.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:29 pm
GreenMachine wrote:

I've gone on the record backing players like Bateman as being critical under these new rules but that doesn't mean there is no place in the game for the big, power forwards. Souths and Broncos were outmuscled in the middle and is a big part of them losing. Sutton fits that mold.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Roosters v RAbbits looked like a more "normal" game of footy. Big men shone. As could Radley. I honestly don't think Sutton has the power game though- he's a grinder. JWH, Gurgess and that Souffs bloke who looks like Papa did very well but Sutton doesn't play that style. Even Lui plays a lot more up tempo than Sutton.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: May 29, 2020, 10:15 pm You're being extremely unfair to Sutton, GreenMachine.
Not sure the angle here is but the analysis you're providing on him doesnt match his performance on the paddock
I have no issue with Sutton, I really don’t.
I haven’t seen enough of him.

My angle here is you clear out players holding higher salaries that don’t contribute and you either find replacements that will contribute or top up players you deem critical to the team, for the purposes of keeping the premiership window open.

Pick any player, doesn’t have to be Sutton.

I only used him as an example because I can’t see where he fits given the development of our younger middle forwards.

Anyway time will tell...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Apollo astronaut Don Furner forced to watch NRL return from afar

He's worked 14-hour days to help Project Apollo relaunch the NRL season, but Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner won't be in Melbourne on Saturday. Instead, he'll be sitting on the couch like the rest of us.

"I think Don's getting the respect he deserves," Ricky Stuart said. "I was really happy to see the fact he was asked to be on the Apollo group and Don's the most experienced CEO in the competition and he's now starting to get the respect he deserves.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders face major NRL travel challenge home and away

It's the 12-hour road trip that typifies the Canberra Raiders' next seven games. On Saturday, the players and coaches will arrive at Canberra Airport at 1.20pm and they won't get home until about 1.30am on Tuesday.

"We've got a lot of resolve in our group. The travel the next six or seven weeks is going to be a major challenge," Stuart said. "We don't get home until 1.30am-2am after this game. And then we've got another travel week the week after. That's going to continue for the next six games.