Canberra Raiders 2020 revised draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders 2020 revised draw

Post by greeneyed »

'I'm not confident': Ricky Stuart fears Raiders will be forced out of Canberra for 2020 NRL season

Ricky Stuart fears the Canberra Raiders will be forced out of their home stadium for the entire NRL season in what could be a massive blow to their premiership ambitions.

"Obviously hoping, but the planets aren't really aligning at the moment in regards to having home games back in Canberra this season," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Video: Ricky Stuart not confident Raiders will be able to play in Canberra: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... ky-stuart/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We sucked at Canberra stadium last year, and there will be no crowds. Sure with the extra travel time it's not ideal, but let's use it to galvanise us and harness that siege mentality. Bring it on.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wonder if they'll charter flight to Bankstown Airport each week

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Oh yeah piggles, on your lengthy response on FTA games.

You essentially agree with my position. Channel 9 will never give the Raiders the air time they deserve as an equal team in the comp. So it has to be mandated by the NRL.

Which based on recent negotiations will be no time soon. Fantastic.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Before COVID shut the world down and rendered the draw null and void, the NRL and Channel 9 had given the Raiders FTA games for 1/3 of their entire schedule, which i believe would have made us one of the top 5 (i think? i'd have to check it but i think i remember reading that at the time the draw was released) features teams on FTA.

Obviously we're a different place right now due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, but it is actually quite clear, and the evidence is irrefutable given that draw was released for all to see, that yes, if the club is successful on the park, it will get it's fair share of FTA coverage.

What i will and have always conceded is some clubs, due to their market share, will always get more than their fair share irrespective of results. Which sucks, but it's also just how the business of the NRL kind of has to operate to keep pulling in massive stacks of cash from the TV Networks

It's simple, if we're successful as a football team and the competition is burned to the ground by a global pandemic, we'll get a good, healthy and reasonable chuck of FTA coverage.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 21, 2020, 5:45 pm Broadcasters rule again: Why the Canberra Raiders were snubbed by Channel Nine

Come on Canberra Raiders fans, admit it. You weren't surprised when you saw the NRL draw on Thursday. You weren't even mad about the same old broadcast schedule story. You were just disappointed, again. Because television money rules the roost, again.

FREE TO AIR EXPOSURE
Broncos: 15
Eels: 13
Rabbitohs, Storm: 12
Roosters: 11
Knights: 9
Panthers, Cowboys: 8
Dragons: 8
Sea Eagles, Tigers: 6
Bulldogs: 5
Raiders, Sharks: 3
Warriors: 1
Titans: 1

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
This doesn't make sense even if they used the 2018 or 2017 Premiership rounds results let alone 2019 Grand Final year. I would have thought we would be somewhere between 6 and 9. TV ratings have been falling in recent years. One reason, imo, is that boredom has set in with watching the Bronco's. The Bronco's scraped into 8th position on 25 competition points last year. Outside some parts of Brisbane they are as popular as a bad smell in a confined space. Even people in Brisbane want a second team to look at. Wake up NRL. The last time they won a comp was in 2006. Why do they constantly get a leg up??
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:00 pm Before COVID shut the world down and rendered the draw null and void, the NRL and Channel 9 had given the Raiders FTA games for 1/3 of their entire schedule, which i believe would have made us one of the top 5 (i think? i'd have to check it but i think i remember reading that at the time the draw was released) features teams on FTA.
We had 9. It was the lowest number of any team that made the top 8 last year.

The Broncos had 23.

Tell me again how Nine loves us really.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

raiderskater wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:43 pm
Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:00 pm Before COVID shut the world down and rendered the draw null and void, the NRL and Channel 9 had given the Raiders FTA games for 1/3 of their entire schedule, which i believe would have made us one of the top 5 (i think? i'd have to check it but i think i remember reading that at the time the draw was released) features teams on FTA.

The Broncos had 23.

I don't think the Broncos had 23 of 24.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

There is one sure way to have games at Canberra Stadium this year...

The Raiders and the ACT Government should take the lead as the only jurisdiction in the NRL with no active Covid cases. They should be working out how they can safely get some crowds at Canberra Stadium.

In many ways the issues of other sporting facilities don't apply at Canberra Stadium where one of the challenges is how you get people safely into the venue. Social distancing within the venue is not that hard because you make everyone sit in a reserved seat. However, I think authorities are really concerned about how to get people in and out of the stadium. At Canberra Stadium there is ample car parking, I would have thought that a crowd of 10K could have everyone driving or limited buses. You could easily start with say a crowd of 5K which is only one seat in 5 occupied and give everyone a time to get in and out of the stadium which would mean that there would be a bit of sitting around, but I think most of us would be happy to pay that price. If we get to the end of June with no or very few cases which are controlled, we should be looking at what we can do.

I guarantee you that if the ACT Government were the first to allow crowds, the NRL and the broadcasters would be more than happy to have games at Canberra Stadium.

By Saturday next week, you will be able to go to Braddon or Manuka and have 50 people in one restaurant and next door another 50. I can't see how that is any different to 50 in one bay at Canberra Stadium and 50 in the next.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman what’s clear to see is the first chance Channel 9 had with a toe in the door and BAM grand finalists 3 FTA games.

That tells me performance means nothing. We get more when the NRL have leverage to push for common sense.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Bay53 wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:47 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:43 pm

The Broncos had 23.

I don't think the Broncos had 23 of 24.
They really did have 23 of the original 26.

I went and counted them all when it first came out.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

23 of 24 doesn’t seem plausible even for the Broncos. Think you must be counting byes and/or misremembering.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Not only that, but the NRL had some power at the start of the year to dictate what games were on FTA which would have certainly helped our cause. After these renegoiations, they had none. And look what happened.
Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:00 pmWhat i will and have always conceded is some clubs, due to their market share, will always get more than their fair share irrespective of results. Which sucks, but it's also just how the business of the NRL kind of has to operate to keep pulling in massive stacks of cash from the TV Networks
Already started backtracking I see :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:59 pm Botman what’s clear to see is the first chance Channel 9 had with a toe in the door and BAM grand finalists 3 FTA games.

That tells me performance means nothing. We get more when the NRL have leverage to push for common sense.
And in most years when they aren't dealing with a financially crippling pandemic, they have that leverage, as the original draw showed.
It sucks, we were finally good and we finally got some legitimate FTA coverage and then a **** global pandemic sweeps through and Nine get the hold a gun to the head of the game... this is the life of a Raiders fan it seems :lol:
Last edited by Botman on May 22, 2020, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:28 pm Not only that, but the NRL had some power at the start of the year to dictate what games were on FTA which would have certainly helped our cause. After these renegoiations, they had none. And look what happened.
Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:00 pmWhat i will and have always conceded is some clubs, due to their market share, will always get more than their fair share irrespective of results. Which sucks, but it's also just how the business of the NRL kind of has to operate to keep pulling in massive stacks of cash from the TV Networks
As I mentioned in this week's Through green eyes, Nine had 65 "picks" and the NRL had 10 "picks" on which games feature on FTA TV in the latest broadcast deal: viewtopic.php?p=1729348#p1729348

At the time, the NRL told us that they had secured control of the draw. That was "spin". The details of the actual deal emerged just recently as the NRL was negotiating on a revised broadcast deal for 2020 and beyond.

Nine actually listed preferences for featured teams for 2020 before the 2019 Grand Final, so they didn't even pick the Grand Final re-match. The NRL had to put that game (and presumably quite a number of other Raiders games - I suspect four others!) on the list.

I expect Nine insisted on all their preferences in the latest draw as part of the current renegotiations.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider Azz wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:28 pm
Understanding the differing commercial interests and acknowledging that a market the size of canberra will never have real parity, someone which i have always said is back tracking?
Lol. Clown.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Botman wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:28 pm
Understanding the differing commercial interests and acknowledging that a market the size of canberra will never have real parity, someone which i have always said is back tracking?
Lol. Clown.
Even other teams fans can notice and admit we're getting a raw deal (I encourage you to check reddit and other neutral forums to see for yourself)

So why can't you? Because god forbid you were wrong once in your life!
Instead you make excuses and try to weasel yourself into actually being always right in a round about way. Sure bud, course you always said that!

Lol. Clown.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Of course we're getting a raw deal on the current revised draw. It's been entirely controlled by the TV networks and the NRL has had no leverage to negotiate against them because they need the cash flow to keep the code and clubs afloat!
Christ. NO one is disputing that.

The only reason i commented on this was that Gangers had a shot me using this revised draw as some sort of evidence that success wont mean better FTA coverage, and my point has simply been that's incorrect. Us being good resulted in a substancial increase in FTA coverage and it's only a once in a 100 year **** pandemic that has altered that.

If you take a situation that happens once every 100 years as SOP then you're thicker than i thought. Which would be quite a feat.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:59 pm Botman what’s clear to see is the first chance Channel 9 had with a toe in the door and BAM grand finalists 3 FTA games.

And in most years when they aren't dealing with a financially crippling pandemic, they have that leverage, as the original draw showed.
It sucks, we were finally good and we finally got some legitimate FTA coverage and then a **** global pandemic sweeps through and Nine get the hold a gun to the head of the game... this is the life of a Raiders fan it seems :lol:
History says Bull. How many FTA games did we get in 2017 after finishing 2nd for example?

This year with the NRL having some say and using it for sticking Raiders games in was the anomaly. Raiders performing is not the magic key you make it out to be.

It comes predominantly from the NRL itself ensuring the product is appropriately broadcast and dividing FTA coverage more fairly.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The only reason Gangers had a shot at you was because you deserved it with your dumbarse rhetoric that we just need to be good to be on FTA close to fairly, which even if it were true is not a practical life approach of “we’ll just always be good” like nobody ever thought of **** trying that...

P.S. I missed you
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: May 22, 2020, 6:55 pm There is one sure way to have games at Canberra Stadium this year...

The Raiders and the ACT Government should take the lead as the only jurisdiction in the NRL with no active Covid cases. They should be working out how they can safely get some crowds at Canberra Stadium.
There may be no active cases in Canberra, but that's a recipe for inviting a whole lot of people from Sydney into a mass gathering in the ACT - while Sydney has been a hot spot for the virus and with significant community transmission. It won't be safe to have crowds for a long time. Andrew Barr has already said there won't be crowds this year... he could change his mind, I guess, but its the sort of risk he probably doesn't have to take.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Based on my quick count via timeslots (i included Friday night games and sunday 4pm games as FTA games) on RugbyLeagueProject, it looks like we had 7 in 2017, after having 4 in 2016.

Nearly double.
(Also i dispute we came 2nd that year, we came 2nd last year... Cowboys came second in 2016 imo)

Edit: Admittely this a crude way of doing things and could be totally wrong, i dont actually remember what the FTA situation was in 2016, which speaks to a troubling drinking problem that ill have to mull over with a few wines tonight
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:08 pm P.S. I missed you Image
:lol: :lol:
Look at us. Arguing again... ahhh footy's almost back!
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Dude... if anything, only earning 3 more games after making it within a bees dick of the GF only further proves everyone's point.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Based on my quick count via timeslots (i included Friday night games and sunday 4pm games as FTA games) on RugbyLeagueProject, it looks like we had 7 in 2017, after having 4 in 2016.

Nearly double.
(Also i dispute we came 2nd that year, we came 2nd last year... Cowboys came second in 2016 imo)

Edit: Admittely this a crude way of doing things and could be totally wrong, i dont actually remember what the FTA situation was in 2016, which speaks to a troubling drinking problem that ill have to mull over with a few wines tonight
We finished 2nd on the ladder and what 3rd/4th, and you’re pumped about 2 games down on even distribution!?

And I’m dubious of your 7. I count 4 up to round 21. Were there 3 in the last 6 rounds in your count?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:08 pm P.S. I missed you Image
:lol: :lol:
Look at us. Arguing again... ahhh footy's almost back!
You can smell it in the air! Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Found the last 6 rounds on Wikipedia. Looks like 0 for me. I get 4 FTA in 2017 by my count*

* May also be inebriated
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:25 pm
Botman wrote:Based on my quick count via timeslots (i included Friday night games and sunday 4pm games as FTA games) on RugbyLeagueProject, it looks like we had 7 in 2017, after having 4 in 2016.

Nearly double.

We finished 2nd on the ladder and what 3rd/4th, and you’re pumped about 2 games down on even distribution!?

And I’m dubious of your 7. I count 4 up to round 21. Were there 3 in the last 6 rounds in your count?
Ive got:
Round 3: 4pm Sunday
Round 4: 7pm Friday
Round 8: 6pm Friday
Round 12: 4pm Sunday
Round 19: 8pm Friday
Round 23: 4pm Sunday
Round 25: 6pm Friday
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider Azz wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:22 pm Dude... if anything, only earning 3 more games after making it within a bees dick of the GF only further proves everyone's point.
3 games over a sample size of 24, and market as small... and to be perfectly frank, insignicant in terms of TV ratings as Canberra is significant imo.
If your boss told you because of good performance you'd be getting an 8% pay increase, i reckon you'd be pretty stoked.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are three Fox games on that list.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Round 23 has Tigers and Manly also at 4pm. Got to imagine that’s the nine game over Raiders Warriors.

I didn’t count the 6pm Fridays. Didn’t realise that slot was on nine.

So we’ll call it 6? Perhaps 5 if GE is right?

A top 4 squad from the season before gets 2/3 or fewer games than if you divided it evenly. Yeah, gotta be happy with that...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:42 pm There are two Fox games on that list.
I thought the double headers were on FTA? Or was that only a recent thing?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:46 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2020, 8:42 pm There are three Fox games on that list.
I thought the double headers were on FTA? Or was that only a recent thing?
The early games on Fridays (6pm and 7pm) have never been on FTA. They were introduced explicitly for Fox.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hmm well fair enough then... i stand corrected. SHows how much i watched C9 i guess, i thought all the Friday games were FTA.
So we have one season where the Raiders were successful and recieved no significant increase in FTA games, and one season where they did (until COVID ruined everyone's **** year)

Im going to stick strongly with my theory that sustained success will see the Raiders receive fair FTA coverage. Will it ever be on the level of the Broncos (i.e unfair)? No. But i think 8 games, which was our alotment this year, is perfectly reasonable.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Hmm well fair enough then... i stand corrected. SHows how much i watched C9 i guess, i thought all the Friday games were FTA.
So we have one season where the Raiders were successful and recieved no significant increase in FTA games, and one season where they did (until COVID ruined everyone's **** year)

Im going to stick strongly with my theory that sustained success will see the Raiders receive fair FTA coverage. Will it ever be on the level of the Broncos (i.e unfair)? No. But i think 8 games, which was our alotment this year, is perfectly reasonable.
Shows how much I watch nine also that I assumed you were right. Should have know I was Image

So 4 games for a top 4 squad. Brilliant.

And you’re happy trotting along with 4 or fewer FTA games knowing that once in a generation on average we’ll have a bumper year and be rewarded by still fewer games than an even share. Which still won’t even happen then if the broadcasters have any say.

You’ve got several screws loose.