Ricky Stuart says changes could help game become less defence oriented

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart says changes could help game become less defence oriented

Post by greeneyed »

Back to one ref: V'landys on board with Project Apollo proposal

The Project Apollo innovations committee has recommended the NRL should go back to one referee for the rest of the season to alleviate costs.

ARL chairman Peter V'landys says that the fans are supportive of the move and he would be backing the proposal.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/08/bac ... -proposal/
edwahu

Re: Back to one ref: V'landys on board with Project Apollo proposal

Post by edwahu »

Dump the video ref as well.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hell no. Video ref stays please.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

get on the storm, all your life savings here comes the wrestlers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting cost saving proposal.

I quite like the way the 2 ref system is working and it also improves the depth of the referee pool, but I understand why they are looking at all measures to save money.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coaches warn of ‘disastrous’ consequences over plan to revert to one-ref system

Manly coach Des Hasler has shot down Project Apollo’s proposal to revert to one referee and eliminate ruck penalties, saying it could be disastrous. On Saturday morning Hasler joined several NRL coaches in warning the game of making policy on the run, which would impact the integrity of the revised competition.

“I don’t think we should so anything which changes the structure of the season so far,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ebdd91671b

I think Hasler is right. This is going to end badly. It's been pushed, clearly, by Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett. I do not understand why two coaches, and not others have been invited into policy making which could have far ranging implications. Frankly, I don't think any coaches should have a say. Every time they invited the coaches in, they push changes which they think will advantage their team.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Surprised to read they would consider dumping ruck penalties as well. This would need to have a 5 minute sin bin or some sort of greater penalty based on the tackle or field position to have a hope of working, and Hasler is right that you can't just introduce those now.

Plus as you say GE, if Bennett and Robinson want it then it's likely to benefit their teams over others.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: May 9, 2020, 6:03 pm Surprised to read they would consider dumping ruck penalties as well. This would need to have a 5 minute sin bin or some sort of greater penalty based on the tackle or field position to have a hope of working, and Hasler is right that you can't just introduce those now.

Plus as you say GE, if Bennett and Robinson want it then it's likely to benefit their teams over others.
There seems to be a suggestion that ruck infringements are not penalised, but a call of six again is made... which is supposed to compensate for the lack of the extra referee policing the ruck.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ridiculous decision in my opinion.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Let’s stop head high penalties and tripping whilst we are making such ‘great’ decisions.

Exonerate George Pell and Ivan Milat whilst we’re at it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL referees rule out strike action despite ‘outrageous’ one ref proposal

The boss of the referee’s union says industrial action against the one referee proposal would be “silly and out of line”, but remain disappointed with the NRL over the way the decision was handled.

Del Vecchio claimed referees boss Bernard Sutton informed him of plans to scrap the two-referee model via a phone call on Friday at 5.24pm - just six minutes before a Zoom meeting was scheduled to break the news to the whistleblowers.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ebeff2e677

The NRL appears set to scrap the two referee system in favour of a single referee for the 2020 season, but the move has sparked heated debate in rugby league circles: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 83f11b612a

Paul Kent blasts one referee shift as a threat to integrity of 2020 NRL competition: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 62159c1c7b

BTW, apologies to Trent Robinson. He's not supporting this proposal.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Even with one ref I'm sure Cummins would still find a way to ruin a match.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:Even with one ref I'm sure Cummins would still find a way to ruin a match.
Like binning Anasta after he got punched in the face

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I hope they aren't seriously considering this..

Just hand the trophy to Bellyache..

No one keeping an eye on Storms filthy tactics ?

Put a fork in me..I'm done.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart concerned about switch to single referee

Post by greeneyed »

“The game has become a 100m by 70m UFC ring” says Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart fears a switch to one referee could see officials struggle to control the ruck.

“I would keep the two referees. Have a dominant referee and then even to the point where the second ref is looking at the ruck just giving instructions. If we are going to change the ruck or decisions around the ruck it will have a significant impact on our game.”

“My only fear of having one referee on the field in today’s speed and intensity in games is the ability of watching what unfolds at the play the ball and keeping teams apart with a consistent 10 metres. The scrappiness generated around the ruck creates frustration and confusion, it doesn’t promote our game, instead turning it into a UFC competition at the ruck.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6c25f91c15
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

He's right, you know

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yes I'm going to go there.

We are contenders. We were last year and fingers crossed, this year as well. Let's not kid ourselves. The only reason we are contenders is because our wrestle is as good as Storm, Roosters and Manly.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: May 10, 2020, 9:01 pm He's right, you know

Yes he is right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 10, 2020, 9:33 pm Yes I'm going to go there.

We are contenders. We were last year and fingers crossed, this year as well. Let's not kid ourselves. The only reason we are contenders is because our wrestle is as good as Storm, Roosters and Manly.

This is right too.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Stick’s comments are in line with what I have argued for a long time. I really do think that it is partly the refs egos that get in the way of having a sole pocket ref. They see this as a demotion. It really should just work like an NFL officials team. Each offical has their own area that they look at. Pocket ref looks at ruck infringement, hits on kickers, and foul play in the back field. Touchy’s should be in line with the play the ball to firstly look at forward passes from dummy half and then move up field with the play. Ref should have total control and mark the 10 meters and can sit back watch the game from there.

I am not sure the $1 million saved is worth the risk to the on field product.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kona_dream wrote: May 11, 2020, 6:39 am Stick’s comments are in line with what I have argued for a long time. I really do think that it is partly the refs egos that get in the way of having a sole pocket ref. They see this as a demotion. It really should just work like an NFL officials team. Each offical has their own area that they look at. Pocket ref looks at ruck infringement, hits on kickers, and foul play in the back field. Touchy’s should be in line with the play the ball to firstly look at forward passes from dummy half and then move up field with the play. Ref should have total control and mark the 10 meters and can sit back watch the game from there.

I am not sure the $1 million saved is worth the risk to the on field product.
It isn’t.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Concerns over proposed rule changes for the restarted NRL competition have been labelled ‘alarmist’ by ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys

ARLC Chair Peter V’landys insists the proposed shift to one referee will not have an adverse effect. “That’s an alarmist style of rhetoric, again,” he said.

“Everyone says ‘oh it’s going to slow it down’. Well we think it will speed it up because of this ‘six again’ and realistically the wrestle hasn’t been eradicated with two referees anyway. “tudies have shown it’s actually got worse, so we’ve got to try something new.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e5d4ed5b7e

Brad Arthur joins coaches against one-referee proposal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9eb89bc818

Sack the wrestling coaches: Phil Rothfield has called for the NRL coaches to join forces in a bid to eradicate the wrestle from the game:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You can’t put the genie back in bottle Phil.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL coaches and a committee formed to vote on NRL rule changes is against a move to a one-referee model

The NRL coaches and a committee formed to vote on NRL rule changes is against a move to a one-referee model and the new six again rule. However Peter V’landys remains convinced that it is the right step to help eradicate the wrestle from the game and cut costs of $2.5 million.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c2f10e2063

Roosters boss Nick Politis accuses NRL of ‘changing the fabric of the game’ with one referee rule: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2fb8aa2c7c
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I actually reckon it's a potentially good change done correctly. I have felt for a while that penalties can be far too influential for something that is down to interpretation.

It's not the time to introduce it though.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:Yes I'm going to go there.

I’m not sure about that.

I think us and Manly play a slightly different game to the pure wrestle of Storm, Sharks, Roosters. Whilst we wrestle like all teams in the comp, we rely more on agility in the ruck and the two English second rowers quickly shutting down any opposition spread to the left or right.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:I actually reckon it's a potentially good change done correctly. I have felt for a while that penalties can be far too influential for something that is down to interpretation.

It's not the time to introduce it though.
Agree. I'd like to see the NRL in control of the rules of the game and not the coaches. Interesting to see Hasler complaining when he is right up there as one of the craftiest coaches in manipulating the grey areas of the game.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana backs one NRL referee

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana says he would be happy for the NRL to switch to one referee... while admitting he has returned as depth, with Cotric and Simonsson having earned wing spots.

"I don't mind just having the one ref. I played back when there was one ref and international games. I think personally it flows a bit better. There's going to be times when there's 50-50 calls when they weren't right, but that's just part and parcel of the game."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL scraps two-ref system in favour of one, two weeks before season restart

The NRL has taken the most calculated risk of the Peter V’landys era by scrapping the two referee system and reverting to one whistleblower. The Wayne Pearce suggested “six again” rule will also be implemented for ruck infringements in the latest attempt to try and temper the wrestle ahead of the May 28 season relaunch.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c2f10e2063

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/13/com ... -for-2020/

ARL Commission update

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has agreed the Telstra Premiership will use one on-field referee for the remainder of the season and introduce six more tackles rather than a penalty stoppage for ruck infringements.

Referees will retain the right to issue a full penalty and place players in the sin bin for persistent ruck infringements and professional fouls. The Commission tonight determined the changes would create more entertaining and free flowing rugby league.

Under the changes, the referee will be given the ability to deal with ruck infringements without interrupting the flow of the game by awarding six more tackles rather than a stoppage for a penalty.

Changes to the refereeing model will include full time referees being used as touch judges to provide more experience to sideline officiating. Currently, the touch judges are employed on a part time basis. This will ensure three experienced first grade referees will be on the field at all times.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said the Commission’s decision would address ongoing issues around wrestling and slow play the balls.

“The decision shouldn’t been seen as taking one referee out it should be that we are using three full time experienced referees controlling the game which will ensure greater surveillance of the ruck and the wrestle,’’ he said.

“This decision will significantly reduce the number of stoppages in games and showcase more open unstructured play for the benefit of fans.

“These decisions address the issue of wrestling and slowing the ruck down which has been the biggest issue in the game.

“It’s clear the current system hasn’t effectively addressed the issue of wrestling in the game. Reverting to one referee together with the new six again rule gives us a chance to speed up the ruck and create more free flowing rugby league.

“Giving the attacking team six more tackles for a ruck infringement will be a significant deterrent to slowing the ruck.

“No team is going to want to defend multiple sets of tackles without a stoppage in play. This is the greatest disincentive for what has become habitual ruck infringements.”

The NRL is the only rugby league competition in the world that uses two referees and the game will now be internationally aligned

Mr V’landys said the Commission had also taken into account the view of fans when making the decision.

“When I became Chairman, I said I would listen to the fans. Last year we conducted a fan survey and the overwhelming majority of fans said they wanted to go back to one referee and their views should be taken on board.”

The Commission has given a commitment that all 22 full time referees will be retained for the remainder of the season and there is no intent to reduce that number in 2021.

The Commission will review the one referee model at the end of the year to determine whether it remains a permanent fixture for future seasons.

ARLC media release

@proshenks Adrian Proszenko on Twitter

BREAKING: ARLC have opted to switch to a single referee for the rest of the #NRL season. The six-again rule will also be introduced. No full-time ref will lose their jobs in 2020.

https://twitter.com/proshenks/status/12 ... 0771854337
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't like this..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hang on, wasn't the point to save costs? Yet they are going to keep all the full time refs who would make up nearly all the costs.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It will require a slight shift in roles.

The touchies will need to be on the ball regarding watching the 10m. Refs will need to listen to the touchies call re that instead of ignoring them through ego. That way the ref can be near the ruck.

If they go with the 6 again for rick infringements they've really made a huge change to the game, just on the fly with no trial.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: May 13, 2020, 7:19 pm Hang on, wasn't the point to save costs? Yet they are going to keep all the full time refs who would make up nearly all the costs.
"The Commission has given a commitment that all 22 full-time referees will be retained for the remainder of the season and there is no intent to reduce that number in 2021."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/13/com ... -for-2020/

It surely can't produce significant cost savings given that commitment. It has to be Annesley getting in V'landys ear, to push through a change he wants.

@-PJ- I'm not sure I like it either.
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

The speed at which these fairly big changes have been waved through, despite widespread apprehension if not outright objection from people all across the game, almost makes me think one or both of the broadcasters have demanded them.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Can't happen. It changes the rest of the seasons rules
New comp = 0 points to start
Sorry Ricky. Let's keep it as the season started.