6 again rule 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Are they taking the **** or what ?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Re: Ricky Stuart concerned about switch to single referee

Post by Neeeegz »

:shock:
Last edited by Neeeegz on May 13, 2020, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pretty sure they trialled that 6 Again rule for ruck infringements several years ago in an All Stars game. Nobody really liked it and it was scrapped.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I cannot believe how dumb the NRL can be.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Also are they allowed to signal 6 again then change their mind?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Azza wrote:I cannot believe how dumb the NRL can be.
You must be the new intern? Welcome to the NRL.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I agree that the refs under the current rules haven’t managed to stop the wrestle, so I have some understanding of the need for rule change.

But gee I’m certainly concerned the six again rule will be used to help teams come from behind with referees assistance at the back end of games.

Some teams will create new unintended consequences with the rule change. Cameron Smith and Melbourne Storm I’m looking at you.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't like this.

This smells like a dumpster fire.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ummmm they could .... You know... have some sort of referee crackdown if they really want to clean up the ruck. So dumb.

When they did that it was actually starting to work. We were starting to see more attacking football. Storm and Roosters were struggling a little to adapt and most teams were looking like developing their own (almost unique) styles of football. But 9 decided we the fans, prefer to watch a boring wrestling, grinding style of play.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: May 14, 2020, 7:30 am Ummmm they could .... You know... have some sort of referee crackdown if they really want to clean up the ruck. So dumb.

When they did that it was actually starting to work. We were starting to see more attacking football. Storm and Roosters were struggling a little to adapt and most teams were looking like developing their own (almost unique) styles of football. But 9 decided we the fans, prefer to watch a boring wrestling, grinding style of play.

That's exactly what happened. Refs got tough on ruck infringements. Ch9 didn't like the number of penalties and all we heard was constant whinging from commentators. Instead of pointing the finger at the players for breaking the rules they targeted the refs for enforcing them.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2020, 9:40 am
gergreg wrote: May 14, 2020, 7:30 am Ummmm they could .... You know... have some sort of referee crackdown if they really want to clean up the ruck. So dumb.

That's exactly what happened. Refs got tough on ruck infringements. Ch9 didn't like the number of penalties and all we heard was constant whinging from commentators. Instead of pointing the finger at the players for breaking the rules they targeted the refs for enforcing them.
SOSF, it's not like Referees should hold X amount of tickets for penalties they can give out during a game, more onus needs to be on the players to not break the rules. So long as the referees are consistent for what they are awarding penalties for, it shouldn't matter if the game penalty count is 5, 15 or 25
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 14, 2020, 10:47 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2020, 9:40 am

SOSF, it's not like Referees should hold X amount of tickets for penalties they can give out during a game, more onus needs to be on the players to not break the rules. So long as the referees are consistent for what they are awarding penalties for, it shouldn't matter if the game penalty count is 5, 15 or 25
But that makes too much sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The problem is the moment we have a Friday night game with 30 penalties, all anyone in the papers, airwaves and tv shows will talking about how they ruined the game... and the NRL has typically jumped at those shadows

Where their answer should simply be "Our officials didnt ruin the game, the players did so by repeatedly infringing. And they'll continue to ruin games whilst ever it happens. If we have to blow 50 penalties a game, so be it. To the coaches and players we simply say - Your move."
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2020, 10:54 am The problem is the moment we have a Friday night game with 30 penalties, all anyone in the papers, airwaves and tv shows will talking about how they ruined the game... and the NRL has typically jumped at those shadows

Where their answer should simply be "Our officials didnt ruin the game, the players did so by repeatedly infringing. And they'll continue to ruin games whilst ever it happens. If we have to blow 50 penalties a game, so be it. To the coaches and players we simply say - Your move."
I supported the crackdown for the most part, until it became too exhausting to watch and listen to. I just gave up caring. I nearly threw the remote through the TV when Sterlo tried to argue that a defensive player penalised was not involved in the play ... that player in question had literally completed the tackle.

The crackdown worked to a degree, but right now I want quick play of the ball as a priority. Not flat passes being called forward, the 20/40 rule or 7 tackle sets...

And during this isolation period where we’ve seen a lot of classic matches replayed, it becomes even more apparent just how destructive wrestling is to the sport of Rugby League.

If this new “6 again” rule works, great. If not, have the guts to stand up and try something else.
BJ
Steve Walters

Ricky Stuart concerned about switch to single referee

Post by BJ »

This new rule change would have been a perfect time to introduce the equal but opposite no penalty (but instead a handover) if the attacking team didn’t touch the ball with their foot or walked off the mark.

This would have added balance to the no penalty rule change and also put some onus on the attacking team to clean up their side of the ruck.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I thought the 2 ref system was just starting to kick in more effectively and the product was improving. Not sure why we are taking a backwards step.

Hiding penalties by changing them to a 6 again rule is confusing and window dressing the underlying issue.

Meanwhile, as the penalty count is technically reduced, the ruck will get messier as there is less focus on it from the refs. How is that a better product?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

These rule changes are going to be important for us to consider
They are significant and potentially could derail a team who is build to win in the wrestle... I hope the club is preparing to adjust their style if needed.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I think the 6 again rule change is a good one although referees still need to be able to penalise if they feel it is warranted.

Often tuck infringements are a deliberate tactic to slow momentum of an attacking team as the defending team scrambles back and a penalty actually kills the momentum and allows the defensive team to reset.

If used properly it should actually make the game flow better by keeping the ball in play for longer and increasing the benefit of momentum for attacking teams.

It is also a much smaller decision to call 6 again than a penalty so we should see more pulled up.

It will take a while to settle in but I think it’s a positive change for the game.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

What the hell us going on? V’Landys is an absolute cowboy, these decisions are absolutely insane.

Never mind that he’s doing it against the majority wishes and with no testing and announcing them two weeks before the season restarts from a totally unprecedented situation. A complete and utter cowboy.

Two referees were brought in for very specific reasons. The speed has increased a lot in the past decade and the refs now get more information in their ears than they can handle. You want to lump MORE on them? This is going to be a ****. Completely ruins the integrity of the comp to do this now.

He’s going to destroy rugbaleeg.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Further, The six again decisions may stop tactical infringements (it won’t) but it is also going to give the refs even less chance to catch their breath, leading to even more inconsistency. I’m dumbfounded and quite furious about this.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

pickles wrote: May 14, 2020, 12:31 pm I think the 6 again rule change is a good one although referees still need to be able to penalise if they feel it is warranted.

Often tuck infringements are a deliberate tactic to slow momentum of an attacking team as the defending team scrambles back and a penalty actually kills the momentum and allows the defensive team to reset.

If used properly it should actually make the game flow better by keeping the ball in play for longer and increasing the benefit of momentum for attacking teams.

It is also a much smaller decision to call 6 again than a penalty so we should see more pulled up.

It will take a while to settle in but I think it’s a positive change for the game.
Thats exactly the concept in theory. Whether it works in practice needs to be determined. My main concern is we've seen it in the past where teams will give away penalties to kill momentum rather than get caught back peddling. If there is no threat to field position as a result of the infringement then teams might be inclined to test the limits further, particularly early in the tackle count.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2020, 11:59 am These rule changes are going to be important for us to consider
They are significant and potentially could derail a team who is build to win in the wrestle... I hope the club is preparing to adjust their style if needed.
I forget who it was, but they came out in the paper and said this would assist the Raiders because of the way our players peal off in the ruck. He was dead against it.

Then, there's this on The Sportress:

https://sportress.wordpress.com/2020/05 ... ScktIrUv88
Last edited by yurithe1 on May 14, 2020, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It will be a bit of a lottery as we don't yet know how the refs will interpret the ruck under the new system either.

So we have 3 variables;

1. The way the refs police/interpret the ruck. Will the "lower" penalty of a 6 again make them use it more liberally or will they miss things because they are back running the 10 and players will get away with more?

2. The new rules themselves. We've never seen a game with so many 6 agains, which may have drastic changes to possession flow or the way players behave. Will they dread giving it away or push the boundaries. Given the ability to tire a defence without a break (as a normal penalty w kick for touch would allow) then it may end up even more dangerous than a traditional penalty as they can pile up the fatigue real fast if you drop a ball without a scrum in there amongst repeat sets too.

3. The way coaches will adapt. We don't know how coaches will think of ways to manipulate it both before the season just from theorising and then who/how coaches will adapt once they've seen it in play. It will evolve.

Given that you have no chance to adjust your squad to the new style I don't know how anyone at this stage can have any idea how these changes will affect the game. I'm not a fan. It just makes more chances fans put an asterisk next to this season. I don't think half baked rule changes are a good idea.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

NRL referees' union lodges complaint to Fair Work Commission after cut to match officials

The union representing NRL referees has lodged a dispute notice with the Fair Work Commission over the league's plans to move from two match referees to one.

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC), which governs the NRL, announced last night only one on-field referee would be used for the rest of the season.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-14/ ... k/12248350

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-re ... d558e3694f
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

From what I understand of the 6 again rule and GE will no doubt correct me if I have it wrong. But there is 'referees discretion' involved on whether to award 6 again or a penalty.

If there is 10 seconds left on the clock, attacking team is 5 metres out from the tryline and 1 or 2 points behind. Defending side just lays all over the player until the fulltime siren goes. Does the referee award a penalty or is he even allowed to call 6 again if the siren sounds - not by the rulebook.

Referee rules fulltime, commentators and coach blowup. Two weeks later the exact same thing occurs in a similar situation and the referee awards a penalty.

This will totally happen in rugba leig, you just know it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 14, 2020, 5:37 pm From what I understand of the 6 again rule and GE will no doubt correct me if I have it wrong. But there is 'referees discretion' involved on whether to award 6 again or a penalty.

If there is 10 seconds left on the clock, attacking team is 5 metres out from the tryline and 1 or 2 points behind. Defending side just lays all over the player until the fulltime siren goes. Does the referee award a penalty or is he even allowed to call 6 again if the siren sounds - not by the rulebook.

Referee rules fulltime, commentators and coach blowup. Two weeks later the exact same thing occurs in a similar situation and the referee awards a penalty.

"Referees will retain the right to issue a full penalty and place players in the sin bin for persistent ruck infringements and professional fouls."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/13/arl ... on-update/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL's referee changes could affect spectacle
Laurie Daley

WHO would be an NRL referee? Suddenly the toughest job in rugby league became a whole lot tougher, or at least that's my view after two crucial decisions from the powers-that-be this week.

Both changes would have a significant impact if they were implemented individually. Combine them and launch them both at the same time, and I worry about how they will affect the game as a spectacle.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 14, 2020, 5:37 pm From what I understand of the 6 again rule and GE will no doubt correct me if I have it wrong. But there is 'referees discretion' involved on whether to award 6 again or a penalty.

"Referees will retain the right to issue a full penalty and place players in the sin bin for persistent ruck infringements and professional fouls."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/13/arl ... on-update/
So yes, another **** minefield of a grey area for the referees to navigate.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Will the Canberra Raiders be one of the teams hardest hit by controversial NRL rule changes?

According to Fox Sports Lab, big gun premiership favourites Penrith, Manly, Canberra, Melbourne and back-to-back premiers the Roosters will need to be vigilant in the way they operate around the ruck area. Those are the teams that gave away the most penalties for ruck infringements last year.

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs stand to be one of the clubs who benefit the most given the way NSW and Australian hooker Damien Cook can jump and run out of dummy-half.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 407b392e72
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hey GE, because you posted the fox article I'm addressing that, but I wonder how much rubbish is involved in the idea that a team that gives away ruck penalties is actually going to suffer from this new rule? If you reckon you can tackle the opposition's attack to death, this is great - they won't even get the chance to take the two! In fact they can just waft the ball up and down the line until we crunch them and take it off them!

And to Gergreg and Yuri (and the article from Sportress that Yuri linked), my question - not to you people specifically - is How does the ref know whether it's a 6 again or just a penalty? What if the attacking team wants to take the 2 - do they have to use a captain's challenge if the bamford waves for another 6 and they're in front of the posts with the game on the line?

In general, I fail to see how an exhausted ref can keep making good decisions if he's already knackered and has to keep waving play on to make sure that everyone else is exhausted too. especially when he or she has to use discretion to decide whether an "infringement" is actually a "breach of the rules". I reckon Vlandys has stuffed this. It will work really well until suddenly it doesn't.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Lui_Bon wrote:Hey GE, because you posted the fox article I'm addressing that, but I wonder how much rubbish is involved in the idea that a team that gives away ruck penalties is actually going to suffer from this new rule? If you reckon you can tackle the opposition's attack to death, this is great - they won't even get the chance to take the two! In fact they can just waft the ball up and down the line until we crunch them and take it off them!

And to Gergreg and Yuri (and the article from Sportress that Yuri linked), my question - not to you people specifically - is How does the ref know whether it's a 6 again or just a penalty? What if the attacking team wants to take the 2 - do they have to use a captain's challenge if the bamford waves for another 6 and they're in front of the posts with the game on the line?

In general, I fail to see how an exhausted ref can keep making good decisions if he's already knackered and has to keep waving play on to make sure that everyone else is exhausted too. especially when he or she has to use discretion to decide whether an "infringement" is actually a "breach of the rules". I reckon Vlandys has stuffed this. It will work really well until suddenly it doesn't.
Referee discretion.

I've blathered on about trying to make the job easier for referees many times on this site. Removing a referee and adding another grey area (at the same time) is utter madness.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 14, 2020, 9:30 pm Hey GE, because you posted the fox article I'm addressing that, but I wonder how much rubbish is involved in the idea that a team that gives away ruck penalties is actually going to suffer from this new rule? If you reckon you can tackle the opposition's attack to death, this is great - they won't even get the chance to take the two! In fact they can just waft the ball up and down the line until we crunch them and take it off them!

This was my crystal ball gazing on the issue: viewtopic.php?p=1728736#p1728736

I don’t support the shift, at least not until it’s properly trialled.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coaches will never have the good of the game as their first priority: Canberra Raiders mentor Ricky Stuart unloads

Ricky Stuart has taken aim at the self-interest of his coaching counterparts and backed the NRL’s controversial rule changes, fearful the game will become "boring" without intervention.

"I'll support what Peter and the commission are trying to achieve, because I don’t like the way our game is heading," Stuart said. "Personally it goes against what I think rugby league should be about. The game is heading down the path of becoming too defence-orientated and boring. We are at a very critical point at this moment, and we need to make the game more entertaining, and future-proof it for our next generation.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/coache ... 54t4c.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 29f6e72639

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs ARLC following NRL rule change

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has slammed "self-interest" among his rivals and called on them to throw their weight behind a bold bid to make rugby league more attractive.

"The coaches will never have the good of the game as their first priority, it's always self-interest. I'm glad the commission have shown strength and gone about making a decision for what they think is best for the game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart says changes could help game become less defence oriented

Post by greeneyed »

Probably a good move from Ricky... believes there should two refs... but gets on board with the new direction from the new chair.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Ricky Stuart says changes could help game become less defence oriented

Post by Lui_Bon »

Thanks Gergreg and GE - btw I have a vague idea I was at that Broncos Seiffert game - you've both described the problems with the new regime better than I could.

Also, I understand that the single ref will be backed up by highly professional "other" refs from their 22-person panel as touch judges. The touchies from last season were just employed on a casual basis so VLandys has thrown them under the covid bus to save some pitiful sum. Poor people won't even get Jobseeker probably. Rugby League, the game of the working man and the downtrodden. I'm losing a bit of faith in this bloke. Has he taken a pay cut?