Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: NRL makes landmark call on Canberra Raiders trio

Post by raiderskater »

Finchy wrote: May 10, 2020, 8:42 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 10, 2020, 8:35 pm
Finchy wrote: May 10, 2020, 8:17 pm
1992 wrote: May 10, 2020, 7:48 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 10, 2020, 5:40 pm

Indeed, what if my mother did have other plans? What if she was studying, or making her way in a career, which an unexpected pregnancy would disrupt? What if she was frail, ill, could not safely carry to term? What if she simply did not want a child? All are valid reasons for her not to. But men lie about condom use, or sabotage them; hormonal birth control (which has other dreadful side effects) is not 100% reliable; she may have been raped or coerced; she may be still a child abused by an adult.

And you would have her forced to have a child she does not want, because a woman is no more than an incubator to you, and she herself as a person is not important.
Wow.

I'd say these days, the devil rules the roost.
Apparently inconvenience to studying and career are perfectly valid reasons for killing the unborn...
Ah, here is another anti-woman poster, who thinks us only incubators.

Yes, it is a perfectly valid reason. Why should a woman have to have her career, her life, disrupted for a baby she does not want? It is a well-known fact that one of the major reasons for women not only earning less over their lifetimes but also having less superannuation at retirement is because of career breaks due to children. And when a woman has had a career break due to children, it also makes her less likely to be able to progress as far or as fast as a man in the equivalent role. Not to mention the undercurrent of subtle sexism where women are still often passed over for promotions or higher duties because of higher-ups assuming they will take career breaks to have children, even if they already have none.

Again: an abortion harms no-one outside of the woman herself. It is not contagious and it will not kill anyone. She can't spread death or serious illness with it. So pray tell, how are abortion and vaccination alike? Indeed, they are on opposite paths, because people denounce anti-vaxxers as bad people, while at the same time espousing women's rights to be removed.
Except the baby....
Are you saying that something that is not yet alive - indeed, at the time most abortions are done, little more than a bundle of cells - has more rights than the living, breathing woman?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 10, 2020, 7:25 pm
T_R wrote:That post of the good doctor's was one of the finest I've ever read on The GH.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Wait, what?

Better than anything Nickman has written?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He said ‘one of the finest things he’s ever READ’ - Nickmans post are usually at a level of such enlightenment that they transcend ‘reading’ and become more of a spiritual journey.
Hopefully this easing of restrictions will lure the big guy back in from the highway so he can unleash his itchy trigger finger on his keyboard instead.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we please keep on topic? If people would like to debate abortion, please take that discussion to the Current Affairs board, thanks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC Chair Peter V’landys confident Queensland government will soften stance on anti-vax players

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys is confident the major hurdles to the NRL’s competition restart will be cleared within the next week including a broadcast deal, draw and final rule changes.

“I guess where this has gone off the rails a little bit is everyone is looking at at one or two per cent of players and 98 per cent of the players went and got vaccinated conscientiously,” V’landys said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ebeff2e677
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Timbo wrote: May 10, 2020, 12:46 pm
GMGT wrote: May 10, 2020, 12:12 am
Andy Preston wrote: May 9, 2020, 5:46 pm I've lost much respect for the 3 players and although it'd hurt our chances of a successful season, maybe they need to be stood down until they show they're capable of being team players?

The anti-vax movement has no credibility and it's only a 'debate' within the conspiracy theorists of the lunatic fringe (flat Earth, faked moon landing, etc). Hearing Cartwright's wife banging on about her healthy unvaccinated kids made me angry for those poor kids who've simply been lucky and could be doomed due to the foolishness of their parents if an outbreak of measles, whooping cough or some other controllable but dangerous illness crops up.

The biggest question for me is what exactly are their religious and/or cultural objections?

AFAIK there's no doctrinal reason why Christians can't be vaccinated, except for the bizarrely named 'Christian Scientists' who refuse all or most medical treatments. Even more so, 2 of the guys have Samoan heritage so surely the 2019 measles outbreak that infected thousands (3% of the total population) and killed 80 is fresh in their memories, especially because it happened primarily due to low immunisation rates in Samoa!

I don't mean to sound insensitive either because religious and cultural freedoms are important and help to make Australia great, however until they explain their reasoning the stance simply seems like more typically petulant anti-vax bollocks.
You've lost much respect for our 3 players over this? Christ almighty that's poor. I've lost much respect for you as a fan and I don't even know you!
It’s not poor, it’s completely reasonable.

These three are putting their pseudoscience nonsense above the well-being of their teammates and the community. They’re also role models in the islands, where kids are dying from preventable diseases due to distrust of vaccines.

Sia’s done a stack of charity work. How would you feel if he’d visited your sick child in hospital finding out he’s an anti-vaxxer? The flu can kill a kid with leukaemia.

Any-vaxxers always go on about personal choice. Except their choice can kill other people. It’s selfish, it’s ignorant and it’s entitled.
Christ almighty. For starters sia is not selfish, ignorant or self entitled.. he is one of the most humble and caring people you'll ever meet. Secondly you are absolutely CLUELESS. If Sia visited my kid in hospital and I found out he is an antivaccer why would I be worried if my own child was vaccinated??? You obviously cant get it from someone else if you are vaccinated yourself! If your child was not vaccinated and got the flu due to "meeting sia" then wouldn't you think that would come back on YOU and be your fault for not vaccinating your own kids to keep your family safe? If you want to protect your family from the flu you need to vaccinate them, if they have been vaccinated there is no way sia can kill them with his community visits. 🙄😶🙃
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GMGT wrote: May 11, 2020, 10:05 am Christ almighty. For starters sia is not selfish, ignorant or self entitled.. he is one of the most humble and caring people you'll ever meet. Secondly you are absolutely CLUELESS. If Sia visited my kid in hospital and I found out he is an antivaccer why would I be worried if my own child was vaccinated??? You obviously cant get it from someone else if you are vaccinated yourself! If your child was not vaccinated and got the flu due to "meeting sia" then wouldn't you think that would come back on YOU and be your fault for not vaccinating your own kids to keep your family safe? If you want to protect your family from the flu you need to vaccinate them, if they have been vaccinated there is no way sia can kill them with his community visits. 🙄😶🙃
What if the child Sia is visiting in the hospital is not vaccinated because the child is immunocompromised, as is not uncommon in a paediatric ward?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2020, 10:26 am
GMGT wrote: May 11, 2020, 10:05 am Christ almighty. For starters sia is not selfish, ignorant or self entitled.. he is one of the most humble and caring people you'll ever meet. Secondly you are absolutely CLUELESS. If Sia visited my kid in hospital and I found out he is an antivaccer why would I be worried if my own child was vaccinated??? You obviously cant get it from someone else if you are vaccinated yourself! If your child was not vaccinated and got the flu due to "meeting sia" then wouldn't you think that would come back on YOU and be your fault for not vaccinating your own kids to keep your family safe? If you want to protect your family from the flu you need to vaccinate them, if they have been vaccinated there is no way sia can kill them with his community visits. 🙄😶🙃
What if the child Sia is visiting in the hospital is not vaccinated because the child is immunocompromised, as is not uncommon in a paediatric ward?
Exactly.

I wonder how many of the homeless people he works with have the flu vaccine as well.

GMGT is up in arms because I’m criticising him for doing charity work. Just because he has the best of intentions does not make it wildly irresponsible for him to be working with at-risk people as an anti-vaxxer.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players refusing shot won't hinder NRL restart in NSW, says Chant

NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant has indicated that NRL players who refuse the flu vaccination will not hinder the game's May 28 restart date in the eyes of the government.

I'm aware that Queensland chief health officer has indicated that is a requirement for Queensland," Chant said on Monday morning. "We have not specifically endorsed a particular NRL plan, we've given them the broad principles they need to comply with in terms of their occ (occupational) health and safety obligations."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/anti-v ... 54rqd.html
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

It looks like Papalii and Tapine participated in contact training today - so presumably all three have been cleared to play?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Swiller
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by Swiller »

Im with the boys, take your flu shot and shove it up your ****...
Complete waste of time if your immune system is kicking goals.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Toviii wrote:It looks like Papalii and Tapine participated in contact training today - so presumably all three have been cleared to play?
I think it was announced on Saturday or Sunday that the Canberra players had taken the shot. I wonder if the QLD government's hard line stance convinced them.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Swiller wrote:Im with the boys, take your flu shot and shove it up your ****...
Flu shot is usually applied to the upper arm.

Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

gergreg wrote:
Toviii wrote:It looks like Papalii and Tapine participated in contact training today - so presumably all three have been cleared to play?
I think it was announced on Saturday or Sunday that the Canberra players had taken the shot. I wonder if the QLD government's hard line stance convinced them.

Oh must have missed that! Thanks
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 11, 2020, 6:37 pm

Ricky Stuart said on radio on Saturday morning that the team would train Sunday and that the medical officer would be giving the Players more information etc. David Riccio said on The Sunday Footy Show that he was hearing whispers that the Canberra players might get the shot.

But definitely no report/confirmation they have had the shot.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Swiller wrote: May 11, 2020, 6:26 pm Im with the boys, take your flu shot and shove it up your ****...
I hope your boss applies that same principle next you want a pay rise

Swiller: Hey boss, whadda reckon about a a pay rise?
Boss: Pay rise? What? It would be a complete waste of time to do that when you're kicking goals as is.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Swiller wrote: May 11, 2020, 6:26 pm Im with the boys, take your flu shot and shove it up your ****...
I've never had one yet wild bill
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:30 pm

Boss: Pay rise? What? It would be a complete waste of time to do that when you're kicking goals as is.
For someone that can use big words. You sure say some dumb **** at times..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:40 pm

From you, no higher compliment could be paid :P

Honestly that's how i view the fluvax, people say it's not very effective because it hovers around 40-60%... If i can make amy immune system 40-60% better against something like Influenza, that's pretty god damn good...

You can be kicking goals in any walk of life, including financial. Doesnt mean you dont stop trying to give yourself every advantage to continue to kick goals. Im in extremely good health (severe drinking problem aside!) but i get to take a shot in the arm which has less risk in me getting in my car and driving to work, and it has a 40-60% effectiveness against an illness that is super common and absolutely miserable to get?

Sign me the **** up. That's a no brainer.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wish there was a vaccine that could make me 40%-60% less likely to get cancer. I wouldn’t be refusing it on the basis it wasn’t 100% effective.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Northern Raider wrote: May 11, 2020, 11:05 pm Wish there was a vaccine that could make me 40%-60% less likely to get cancer. I wouldn’t be refusing it on the basis it wasn’t 100% effective.
Why would you? We’ve had a future Nobel laureate a few posts ago tell us you don’t need it if you’re immune system is kicking goals!
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:54 pm
Neeeegz wrote: May 11, 2020, 7:40 pm

From you, no higher compliment could be paid :P

Honestly that's how i view the fluvax, people say it's not very effective because it hovers around 40-60%... If i can make amy immune system 40-60% better against something like Influenza, that's pretty god damn good...

You can be kicking goals in any walk of life, including financial. Doesnt mean you dont stop trying to give yourself every advantage to continue to kick goals. Im in extremely good health (severe drinking problem aside!) but i get to take a shot in the arm which has less risk in me getting in my car and driving to work, and it has a 40-60% effectiveness against an illness that is super common and absolutely miserable to get?

Sign me the **** up. That's a no brainer.
Haha, you say drinking problem like it's not something we all have... 🤣🤣
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

Timbo wrote: May 12, 2020, 12:34 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 11, 2020, 11:05 pm Wish there was a vaccine that could make me 40%-60% less likely to get cancer. I wouldn’t be refusing it on the basis it wasn’t 100% effective.
Why would you? We’ve had a future Nobel laureate a few posts ago tell us you don’t need it if you’re immune system is kicking goals!
Ahhh Hello...
Don't drink, smoke, eat **** and exercise but no, lets hope for something to shove into your arm.

Going by your logic then we should inject the **** into us to give us the flu to reduce the chance of getting the flu when our immune systems are working fine. If it's not broken ... you know the rest.
Swiller
Peter Jackson

Post by Swiller »

"a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease."

Let's not refer to it as a Vaccine for starters because it is not. So you can't really call out anyone on this as it should just be a choice and no one should be attacked if they're in good health and do not need it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Swiller wrote: May 12, 2020, 8:19 am "a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease."

Let's not refer to it as a Vaccine for starters because it is not. So you can't really call out anyone on this as it should just be a choice and no one should be attacked if they're in good health and do not need it.
I'm a little confused by this post. Where is the quoted section from and what is it referring to? Knowing that might help me better comprehend the 2nd paragraph.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m looking forward to the view from Dr Zaius on the propositions that the flu vaccine gives you the flu... and that it isn’t a vaccine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If there was a yearly jab that made you 40-60% less likely to get ball and breast cancer, what would the uptake of that jab be? 98%? 99%? :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I reckon 99% of people would have a yearly needle if there was a simple vaccine that would ensure you can earn over half a million dollars for the year it covers.....

Oh wait, that’s what this flu jab means to these NRL players.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: May 12, 2020, 9:18 am I’m looking forward to the view from Dr Zaius on the propositions that the flu vaccine gives you the flu... and that it isn’t a vaccine.
Pretty confident the Doc will let that slide through to the keeper....

The facts have been stated, clearly, effectively and concisely. If people choose not to recognise the mass of medical data available that probe the effectiveness of vaccines, then it’s really not worth the argument is it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:19 am
greeneyed wrote: May 12, 2020, 9:18 am I’m looking forward to the view from Dr Zaius on the propositions that the flu vaccine gives you the flu... and that it isn’t a vaccine.

The facts have been stated, clearly, effectively and concisely. If people choose not to recognise the mass of medical data available that probe the effectiveness of vaccines, then it’s really not worth the argument is it.
I do think if there is misinformation being spread, that should be pointed out, myself. It is scientific, medical fact that the flu vaccine cannot give you the flu. And the flu vaccine is certainly a vaccine.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:29 am
Coastalraider wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:19 am

I do think if there is misinformation being spread, that should be pointed out, myself. It is scientific, medical fact that the flu vaccine cannot give you the flu. And the flu vaccine is certainly a vaccine.
I agree, and the good doctor had done an amazing and factual job of outlining that, and it has still been ignored by some.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:

This.

He is clearly an antivaxxer. They operate by forming their conclusions, looking for "evidence" no matter how dodgy to support said conclusions, while simultaneously ignoring facts and well reasoned opinion. Every time you response you will be met with a scatter gun of cherry picked misinterpreted half truths.

It's best just to label him for what he is, an antivaxxer, acknowledge that anything he says hence forth is unreliable, ignore him and move on.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:38 am
Coastalraider wrote:

This.

He is clearly an antivaxxer. They operate by forming their conclusions, looking for "evidence" no matter how dodgy to support said conclusions, while simultaneously ignoring facts and well reasoned opinion. Every time you response you will be met with a scatter gun of cherry picked misinterpreted half truths.

It's best just to label him for what he is, an antivaxxer, acknowledge that anything he says hence forth is unreliable, ignore him and move on.

On a totally seperate subject, I’ve found some really interesting facts about a common misconception here - I suggest you should all do your own research into this, and come up with your own conclusions.

https://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_ ... ot_a_globe
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: May 12, 2020, 11:02 am
Dr Zaius wrote: May 12, 2020, 10:38 am
Coastalraider wrote:

This.

On a totally seperate subject, I’ve found some really interesting facts about a common misconception here - I suggest you should all do your own research into this, and come up with your own conclusions.

https://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_ ... ot_a_globe
Thanks. It's about time someboby revealed the truth. All you round earthers have been spreading your fallacies too long.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Qld Chief Medical Officer has come out today and stated the only exemption granted on the flu shot will be for medical reasons. Means no training or playing for the Titans duo, and effectively face season out unless they take the jab.

I assume it’d mean our lads couldn’t play in Qld unless they have medical reasons not to have the flu shot. Would be good to hear something from the club as to where this is all at.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland government holds firm on flu shots impacting Canberra Raiders trio

The Canberra Raiders have been dealt a blow with the Queensland government refusing to budge on their insistence all NRL players need an influenza injection to be able to play or train in their state.

It means Josh Papalii, Sia Soliola and Joe Tapine will need to decide whether to have the flu shot or risk not being able to play in Queensland.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Queensland shuts its borders to NRL anti-vaxxers. Queensland government will only grant flu-shot exemptions to NRL players on medical grounds: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c2f10e2063

PODCAST: Let's Talk with Brett White: This week Canberra Raiders Assistant Coach Brett White shares some of his own personal stories on how to deal and manage adversity during tough times: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/05 ... ett-white/