Papalii says family reasons behind flu injection stance

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NRL makes landmark call on Canberra Raiders trio

Post by Northern Raider »

Plenty of work sites with strict conditions of entry relating to health and safety. If you don't accept those conditions you don't get to enter. Those places don't pander to divas who take offense at the wording of waivers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I know plenty of people over the last 3 years that got so sick they needed weeks off work, and they had the flu shot.
I've never had one personally, and haven't got sick at all in that time.
So, why the **** should people be forced to have something that's not proven as 100% effective ?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Neeeegz wrote: May 8, 2020, 8:58 am I know plenty of people over the last 3 years that got so sick they needed weeks off work, and they had the flu shot.
So, why the **** should people be forced to have something that's not proven as 100% effective ?
They are not being forced to have a flu shot so any argument along those lines is moot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Neeeegz wrote: May 8, 2020, 8:58 am I know plenty of people over the last 3 years that got so sick they needed weeks off work, and they had the flu shot.
Because it's 60% effective? You wear a seatbelt don't you?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

edwahu wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:28 am
What a silly comparison. A seatbelt is better than 60% effective...
Try again
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

say it with me, "risk mit-i-ga-tion"
Dont delete this GE
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Raiders stars protest as NRL considers banning players

Post by hrundi89 »

DarkRaider wrote: May 7, 2020, 6:35 pm
Bay53 wrote: May 7, 2020, 3:07 pm
Timbo wrote: May 7, 2020, 1:30 pm This also makes me question all the charity work Sia has done as being incredibly irresponsible.

Imagine if he’d visited your kid who has cancer in hospital and today you’re finding out he’s an anti-vaxxer.

The flu can kill a kid with leukaemia. But hey, muh beliefs and opinions!
I think this is a very unfair comment and reflective of what we are likely to see where current standards are used to re-write history.

I would estimate that 95% of the players in the NRL didn’t get the flu shot in 2019 and no one thought worse of them for it. NRL players would not have been considered in the vulnerable category in the past. There were definitely no restrictions or protocols that anyone entering a hospital was required to have had a flu shot. The government only provided financial assistance to cover the cost for a select handful of the community although many employers also covered the cost. Perhaps NRL players were in this category.

Anti-vaxxer arguments are normally about children not getting the vaccinations for things like measles, rubella etc not flu shots for adults.

Clearly there won’t be things like hospital visits this year, but in future years it may well be that 90+% of the population have a flu shot, so refusal may be seen as a reason to stay away but please don’t try to apply 2020 standards to past years.
According to Phil Gould in his podcast, for a long time it’s actually been standard procedure for every player at every NRL club to get the shot.

No doubt there’d be refusals every year and so the clubs would have had a fair idea that this was coming from certain players.
When I worked at WT from 2005 to 2008 it was mandatory for all staff, including those of us in the marketing department.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Neeeegz wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:36 am
Try again
Actually seatbelts are about 50% effective in reducing fatal injuries and 60% at reducing serious injuries in an accident.

Why do you think 60% effectiveness in reducing the flu isn't enough? That's hundreds of thousands of lives saved a year.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

gergreg wrote: May 7, 2020, 9:02 pm Seeing as the NRL has just opened the door for these blokes it would be really interesting to see what would happen if the NSW and Australian government responded with a 'no jab no play', tougher stance.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
The Qld Government is asking questions along these lines this morning. The Health Minister has expressed concerns that the NRL’s plan included a ‘no jab, no play’ policy (according to the media report), and that the NRL has already failed to implement the plan shown to the government for approval. A further meeting between the Qld CHO and NRL is to happen today.

Not that I really care if we were to have a comp without Qld teams, but it’s an ordinary look for the NRL.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Queensland government needs to also question their Union affiliates who continue to have their employees work in building construction without Flu jabs and not adhering to social distancing.

Queensland government will also need to ask questions about their State public servants and teachers who have not had their Flu shot.

The Queensland premier seems intent on firing shots at the NRL but never questioning her own hypocrisy.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

BJ wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:55 am Queensland government needs to also question their Union affiliates who continue to have their employees work in building construction without Flu jabs and not adhering to social distancing.

Queensland government will also need to ask questions about their State public servants and teachers who have not had their Flu shot.

The Queensland premier seems intent on firing shots at the NRL but never questioning her own hypocrisy.
I genuinely don’t know in the first case, but there is currently no requirement for run of the mill public servants to have a flu shot in Queensland, so I don’t think the comparison is valid (and I think you might have sone biases coming through :) ).

The government’s issue is that the NRL has said they will do one thing, the government has given approval on that basis, and the NRL has turned around and done something else. Raising concerns about that is completely reasonable.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The plan submitted to governments always included a waiver... didn't it? That's what I read anyway.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2020, 10:17 am The plan submitted to governments always included a waiver... didn't it? That's what I read anyway.
That’s what I thought. The media reporting this morning suggests otherwise, but I don’t know how accurate it is.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -flu-jabs/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Smurfette wrote: May 8, 2020, 10:25 am
greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2020, 10:17 am The plan submitted to governments always included a waiver... didn't it? That's what I read anyway.
That’s what I thought. The media reporting this morning suggests otherwise, but I don’t know how accurate it is.

Peter V'landys says it was in the plan the governments had approved: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1024676
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2020, 10:32 am

Peter V'landys says it was in the plan the governments had approved: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1024676
Peter V'landys has been saying a lot over the last six weeks, with much of it directly contradicted by the government within a few hours of him saying it.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Largely then I think the government should move on. Makes you wonder though about the specific wording of the plan. Going back to my first post on this, you would think people refusing vaccinations on purely religious or cultural grounds would not be so bothered about signing a waiver that says not getting the flu shot poses some health risks...

Anyway, hopefully the governments decide they’re satisfied and we can just get on with it.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Listening to Hadley. QLD and NSW CMO’s aren’t happy. Full vacc was a requirement, and guaranteed by the NRL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: May 8, 2020, 11:14 am

Peter V'landys has been saying a lot over the last six weeks, with much of it directly contradicted by the government within a few hours of him saying it.
And after that, what V’landys said gets confirmed.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2020, 12:15 pm

Ive found that very interesting... the cycle is something you can set your watch.
V'landys come out and makes an announcement, state and federal authorities say "well we havent agreed to that, those comments are premature" and within 24 hours the state and federal authorities agree to what was announced.
:lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Smurfette wrote:
BJ wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:55 am Queensland government needs to also question their Union affiliates who continue to have their employees work in building construction without Flu jabs and not adhering to social distancing.

I genuinely don’t know in the first case, but there is currently no requirement for run of the mill public servants to have a flu shot in Queensland, so I don’t think the comparison is valid (and I think you might have sone biases coming through :) ).

The government’s issue is that the NRL has said they will do one thing, the government has given approval on that basis, and the NRL has turned around and done something else. Raising concerns about that is completely reasonable.
Yes I was actually being glib about the public servants getting Flu shots.

But any biases I have..... are multiplied by NSW and QLD governments who seem happy to publicly fire off shots at the NRL but actively ignore other sectors of business who are acting far worse and have infinitely caught and created more cases of Covid than NRL employees.

Which obviously isn’t statistically hard whilst NRL Covid cases are still at Zero.

How about the State Governments attack Mining, Construction and Clothing retail employees who have actually caught and spread the virus.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'm confused as to how "religion" is being used to be anti-vax. Which ancient religious text forbids vaccinations? Verses please? I'll bet there aren't any. It's like using religion as an excuse to be anti-5G or something. Ridiculous.

I also note that only 3% of NRL players were against the flu jab. So what about all the other religious or Polynesian players at other clubs that were ok with the jab? Either it's got nothing to do with religion, or they don't take it seriously.

When ScoMo introduced the "no jab no play" policy, I thought initially there was only one minor religious cult somewhere that was believed to be against vaccinations on religious grounds, but later revealed that wasn't the case, so there were no need for exemptions based on religious grounds. But now all of sudden these players are using "religion" to not get the flu shot? Seems convenient.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

edwahu wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:44 am
Neeeegz wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:36 am
Try again
Actually seatbelts are about 50% effective in reducing fatal injuries and 60% at reducing serious injuries in an accident.

Why do you think 60% effectiveness in reducing the flu isn't enough? That's hundreds of thousands of lives saved a year.
Just as an aside, once seat belts were made mandatory, a car accident injury called "flail chest" virtually disappeared from Emergency Depts. Unrestrained drivers would be propelled forward into the centre of the the steering wheel and have their sternum smashed inwards. Steering wheel designs have changed since then to further reduce the likelihood of this happening.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

BJ wrote: May 8, 2020, 12:55 pm
Smurfette wrote:

But any biases I have..... are multiplied by NSW and QLD governments who seem happy to publicly fire off shots at the NRL but actively ignore other sectors of business who are acting far worse and have infinitely caught and created more cases of Covid than NRL employees.

Which obviously isn’t statistically hard whilst NRL Covid cases are still at Zero.

How about the State Governments attack Mining, Construction and Clothing retail employees who have actually caught and spread the virus.
Because construction workers and professional rugby league players are not the same??
The construction industry has been deemed an essential service to help and try to prevent the economy from completely collapsing, while the NRL is a niche industry that has managed to get an exemption from state and federal governments and is now trying to move the goal posts from which they agreed. Why is this hard for you to understand??
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Riaan wrote:
BJ wrote: May 8, 2020, 12:55 pm
Smurfette wrote:

Because construction workers and professional rugby league players are not the same??
The construction industry has been deemed an essential service to help and try to prevent the economy from completely collapsing, while the NRL is a niche industry that has managed to get an exemption from state and federal governments and is now trying to move the goal posts from which they agreed. Why is this hard for you to understand??
What makes you think I don’t understand that?

I’m pointing out the hypocrisy between political comments NOT why some Industry’s should or should not be open for business.

Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

This is a flu jab nightmare. Whilst I get the jab myself every year, and I understand the risk mitigation around players who don't get it could be at higher risk to covid-19, I am sceptical of the push to enforce this. The example I would use is what would they do in a case of a player being a Type 1 Diabetic. By nature, this puts the player at higher risk of contracting infections etc. They could take the flu shot, but still be at a higher risk. Would this player then be banned? It's opening a pandoras box I think. Sure it's easier if the players just get the jab and move on, but it would be really **** should the premiership window be slammed shut by something like this because Papa is pretty integral to the team, as are Sia and Taps.
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2020, 12:30 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2020, 12:15 pm

Ive found that very interesting... the cycle is something you can set your watch.
V'landys come out and makes an announcement, state and federal authorities say "well we havent agreed to that, those comments are premature" and within 24 hours the state and federal authorities agree to what was announced.
:lol:
V'Landys: The government said we're allowed to do this

Government: Ummm.... no you haven't

V'Landys: Yeah you have

Government: Yeah you have

Repeat.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I'm pretty sure V'Landys got his approach from The Office. It's exactly how Pam for the Office Administrator job
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

1992 wrote: May 7, 2020, 8:48 pm If a woman gets an abortion she is brave and strong...her body..her choice.

If someone does not want to be injected with lord knows what...they are dumb.

Download the tracking app. Things are setting up nicely in the 20's. 😎
Ah, I knew some **** would bring this argument.

Pray tell, how many other people are affected by a woman's decision to abort? Exactly, nobody. Vaccination and abortion are not comparable topics in the slightest.

Sia, Papa and Taps could bring down their whole team with this. They could cause the end of livelihoods if their stance is part of the reason that the governments refuse the NRL permission to restart. And that's not even getting into the whole spreading-it-to-vulnerable people thing.

Get on your bike, pal.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

sprintman wrote: May 8, 2020, 11:42 am Listening to Hadley. QLD and NSW CMO’s aren’t happy. Full vacc was a requirement, and guaranteed by the NRL.
Hadley had become a mouthpiece for Ch9 anti-NRL propaganda so I'll take anything he says with a grain of salt. He may be accurate but I can't trust his impartiality on the topic.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2020, 2:12 pm
sprintman wrote: May 8, 2020, 11:42 am Listening to Hadley. QLD and NSW CMO’s aren’t happy. Full vacc was a requirement, and guaranteed by the NRL.
Hadley had become a mouthpiece for Ch9 anti-NRL propaganda so I'll take anything he says with a grain of salt. He may be accurate but I can't trust his impartiality on the topic.
It's popping up on a few journos on twitter. Governments are saying the NRL promised 100% vaccinations unless medically exempt and that's part of the deal for the restart.

Once again it seems V'landys spoke without consulting anyone.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

@ChrisGarry7
BREAKING: re Bryce Cartwright.. He's signed new waiver. HOWEVER, government has made it clear to NRL this morning, new waiver isn't good enough and they want everyone to have a flu shot and "No Jab, No Play" rule enforced. Massive drama to develop during day @7NewsBrisbane

Well this will be interesting.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If this follows the same pattern as everything else, im setting the line of midday tomorrow before the government agree to allow the competition to restart with the new waivers.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

On this one I'd be happy for the Government to dig the heels in. This is a WH&S requirement to enter a work site under strict biosecurity measures during a global pandemic. If people have a moral issue with it then that's fine but they cannot enter that work site without having the shot.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2020, 2:51 pm On this one I'd be happy for the Government to dig the heels in. This is a WH&S requirement to enter a work site under strict biosecurity measures during a global pandemic. If people have a moral issue with it then that's fine but they cannot enter that work site without having the shot.
Me too. I hope they do stick to their guns.
V'landys seems to get what he wants though from what ive seen
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2020, 2:51 pm On this one I'd be happy for the Government to dig the heels in. This is a WH&S requirement to enter a work site under strict biosecurity measures during a global pandemic. If people have a moral issue with it then that's fine but they cannot enter that work site without having the shot.
As would I.

My disappointment in these three is immeasurable and I would rather play without them than pander to their sense of entitlement.