I was there. Go the Milk !!
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by T_R »

That's terrible news.

What happened??

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Old School Green wrote: April 17, 2020, 9:37 pm Mitch Cronin passed away 😔
Seems so, according to Jordan Rapana’s Instagram. That’s terrible. Met his folks one day at a game, lovely people. Far too young. Good young player.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Old School Green wrote:Mitch Cronin passed away Image
Wow terrible news.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: RIP Mitch Cronin

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders player and Wynnum Manly Seagulls captain Mitch Cronin dies, aged 27

Former Canberra Raiders and Wynnum Manly Seagulls captain Mitch Cronin has died suddenly, aged just 27. He was found dead in his swimming pool by family members after cooling off following a weights session on Friday afternoon. The death is being treated as a training accident and reportedly a possible heart attack.

He was part of the Canberra system for many years where David Furner, now an assistant coach at the Newcastle Knights, transformed him from a fullback.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7c05fecc18

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... h-c-984493
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

RIP. Horrible news.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Damn that’s bad news anyone know the cause, just told his former high school coach from Clairvaux and he’s asked.

In the old Rugby League PS game I used to use him heaps, anything to get McCrome off the team.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He was found dead in his swimming pool by family members after cooling off following a weights session on Friday afternoon. https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7c05fecc18
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: April 18, 2020, 9:51 am He was found dead in his swimming pool by family members after cooling off following a weights session on Friday afternoon. https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7c05fecc18
Oh my god, that's horrific.

RIP Mitch :(
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

R.I.P. That's tragic to pass away at such a young age with plenty still to do and give.

Fox Sports is reporting that he might have suffered a heart attack after the weights session.

I really rated him when he was with us. Just needed more time to develop, I thought.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Terrible. I'm devastated. Far too young. RIP Mitch.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders mourn the death of former player Mitch Cronin

The rugby league community is in mourning following the death of former Canberra Raiders player Mitch Cronin on Friday. The Wynnum Manly Seagulls captain was found dead in the swimming pool at his parents' home following a weights session. Former Raiders star Jordan Rapana led the tributes on social media.

"Man I still don't want to believe it! You got me through some of the toughest times of my life! I love you my brother, Fly high u absolute legend love u forever brother," Rapana wrote on Instagram.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/04 ... ch-cronin/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/18/lea ... s-aged-27/

https://www.wynnumseagulls.com.au/mitch ... statement/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

‪Remembering former #Canberra #Raiders player Mitch Cronin who sadly passed away yesterday. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #RIPMitch‬

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... in!772560‬
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Devastating loss from something so innocuous.
A reminder to us all about the fragility and preciousness of life.
RIP Mitch Cronin and thoughts and prayers with family and friends 😥
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Awful news.

RIP Mitch

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Very sad news.

In many ways he is what our junior programs are about. Despite a great under 20s career, he wasn’t able to take the next step to NRL. However, he went home to Qld and became one of the most consistent players in the local comp.

Rest In Peace.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Also doubly sad that someone who has passed away so young and was so popular across rugby league, can only have 10 people at his funeral.

Normally you would expect a huge amount of people wanting to pay their respects.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That's shocking news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Mitch.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jordan Rapana about to appear on Fox League Live.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rugby league remembers a ‘fantastic leader of men’ after shock death of 27yo Mitch Cronin

Jordan Rapana on Saturday paid an emotional tribute to his former Raiders teammate Mitch Cronin.

“I was hesitant to do this interview as it’s so raw, it only just happened yesterday, but I just wanted Australia and the world to really know how good of a bloke Mitch is,” Rapana said.“He’s one of those guys where he’s everybody’s best mate. He wasn’t a loud guy, he didn’t talk much. He was quite shy and very reserved who didn’t like the limelight. But his action spoke louder than words.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/rugby- ... d6db9974d3

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mitch-cron ... 8ff23f7f4e

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Jordan Rapana's emotional tribute to his friend and former #Canberra #Raiders team mate Mitch Cronin: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... ute!772584

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Jordan did very well. Heartbreaking.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Incredibly sad
Condolences to his friends and family. Gone far too young

As a footballer I remember him in 20’s as being a super underrated part of a pretty good team. Pretty skilled player who I think could have been a solid NRL outside back if he was blessed with a touch more natural speed.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Very very sad news.

Condolences to the Cronin family.

Rest easy Mitch..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Gone too soon. A tragic loss for his family, friends and team mates. Rest In Peace.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Was he the guy Charlie raved about?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:Was he the guy Charlie raved about?

Yep.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Rest in Peace Mitch Cronin. Horrible news. A young life cut way too short.

It's scary how this can happen to young professional athletes in top physical condition and with the amount of testing done on them, almost with no warning it seems. Feels like it occurs far too often too.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Certainly a concern to have sportsman training unsupervised during COVID.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds absolutely awful.

The vast majority of sportspeople train unsupervised the majority of the time. It's not like he had a cardiac arrest in an empty gym. Not sure what this has to do with COVID.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 18, 2020, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

dubby wrote: April 18, 2020, 8:50 pm Was he the guy Charlie raved about?

He was a really good player in 20s and for Mounties but in some ways his versatility meant he became a jack of all trades, master of none, always filling a hole rather than being in a settled position. Full back, Centre, five eight, hooker, bench utility, I reckon he played them all.

Always have fond memories of what seemed to regularly be Sunday mornings when our 20s team would win easily especially in 2012 when we really were the best team in the comp until about 5 mins into the GF.

Sadly the circumstances of Mitch’s death are eerily similar to what happened to Kato.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:Sounds absolutely awful.

The vast majority of sportspeople train unsupervised the majority of the time. It's not like he had a cardiac arrest in an empty gym. Not sure what this has to do with COVID.
No I’m not sure either. I was just wondering whether a player who suffers a severe heart reaction from training would be safer with or without teammates and qualified trainers around them. Will some players push themselves too hard, without expert monitoring on hand? But maybe these are just ticking time bombs?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Could be wrong but my understanding is that these situations are ticking time bombs, and very hard to detect beforehand.

Of course having people around would help in order to provide quick aid, but that wouldn't be at the forefront in the mind of a professional athlete in his peak physical years.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: April 19, 2020, 10:35 am Could be wrong but my understanding is that these situations are ticking time bombs, and very hard to detect beforehand.

Of course having people around would help in order to provide quick aid, but that wouldn't be at the forefront in the mind of a professional athlete in his peak physical years.
There is cases in the Nfl where players have played years and years with a team, get traded and the heart abnormality gets picked up by the new teams doctor in the trade physical. You seem to hear every year or so about some poor bastard just dropping dead on the field

As you said, these things are very easily missed, and to the time bomb analogy, in many cases short of the bomb going off in on a table with the team of heart surgeons prepped and ready, there is not much chance of surviving
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Shocking news, condolences to Mitch's family and friends.

There was a real push from some of us on the GH for him to get a genuine crack at first grade.

Life is too short...very sad.
WorkChoice
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

In the curent times with only 10 people allowed at a funeral I wonder if the family would either hold off on a funeral or do a memorial later on

Touch wood i haven't lost anyone lately but i would imagine it would be even harder then normal for those left behind with no closure/ending being the funeral.

How do you grasp the idea they have gone and not just in lockdown with the rest of us...
Vaccinated