Canberra Raiders return to training at Braddon HQ

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by greeneyed »

‪@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

‪#Canberra #Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson hoping English combinations could give Green Machine advantage when 2020 competition resumes. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr‬

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... ge!772052‬
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 12, 2020, 11:40 am
Coastalraider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2020, 9:02 am If you play every team once, it’s the fairest possible draw. Hard to imagine how anyone could possibly complain about that. But the Roosters have just done it!
Absolutely. You can’t get upset he’s trying, that’s why he’s an exceptional team owner.
Disagree. There’s doing the best for your team and there’s being an unreasonable spoiled sore loser.

This is firmly in the latter.
If we are sitting here at 0/2, Ricky Stuart, DFJ and this fan base (maybe you included) would all be in total agreement with Politis on this.
And you're living a fairy land if you think otherwise.

You cant blame Politis for trying, and nor could you blame our club if situation was reversed.
That's their job, to try and get the best result for their clubs. It's precisely why our club has come out so publicly about keeping the points! :lol:
You dont really think Stuart is piping up about us being strongly against starting at 0 because he believes in the integrity of those games do you? I would genuinely weep for you if that's the **** you're buying. :roflmao

He's doing it for the same reasons they're doing it. We're 2-0 and they're 0-2. Records reversed and the same comments would be made by the opposite club!

The onus is on NRL HQ to understand this and take ALL the comments in the context they are provided in and give them the appropriate weighting... i.e NONE. The individual club's views on this arent relevant. They need to do the best and fairest thing for the competition whole.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players agree that competition points from opening rounds should be retained

A working group of players from all 16 NRL clubs last week agreed that points should be kept from the opening two rounds of the 2020 campaign. The debate was reignited on Sunday when Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis called for all points previously won this season to be scrapped ahead of the planned May 28 resumption.

Officials from Cronulla and the Warriors - whose teams, like the Roosters, have yet to pick up a point - echoed Politis’ call.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cb09dab901
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2020, 5:03 pm Officials from Cronulla and the Warriors - whose teams, like the Roosters, have yet to pick up a point - echoed Politis’ call.
STUNNER :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2020, 9:02 am If you play every team once, it’s the fairest possible draw. Hard to imagine how anyone could possibly complain about that. But the Roosters have just done it!
Absolutely. You can’t get upset he’s trying, that’s why he’s an exceptional team owner.
Disagree. There’s doing the best for your team and there’s being an unreasonable spoiled sore loser.

If we are sitting here at 0/2, Ricky Stuart, DFJ and this fan base (maybe you included) would all be in total agreement with Politis on this.

You cant blame Politis for trying, and nor could you blame our club if situation was reversed.
That's their job, to try and get the best result for their clubs. It's precisely why our club has come out so publicly about keeping the points! :lol:
You dont really think Stuart is piping up about us being strongly against starting at 0 because he believes in the integrity of those games do you? I would genuinely weep for you if that's the **** you're buying. :roflmao

He's doing it for the same reasons they're doing it. We're 2-0 and they're 0-2. Records reversed and the same comments would be made by the opposite club!

The onus is on NRL HQ to understand this and take ALL the comments in the context they are provided in and give them the appropriate weighting... i.e NONE. The individual club's views on this arent relevant. They need to do the best and fairest thing for the competition whole.
I totally disagree that many Raiders fans would want to try and the points overturned if we were 0 and 2. Yes there would be the odd one, but You really love trying to target all Raiders fans as whingers whilst you stay holier than thou.

Even Roosters fans that I know don’t think they should be resetting the points, but I think this media stink is actually a typical Politis play.

Argue for something you are not going to win, whilst banking the next small battle you need to win. He’s successfully done this on third party deals and sponsorship agreements in the past. Politis Smoke and mirrors.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

BJ wrote: April 12, 2020, 5:13 pm
Botman wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

I totally disagree that many Raiders fans would want to try and the points overturned if we were 0 and 2. Yes there would be the odd one, but You really love trying to target all Raiders fans as whingers whilst you stay holier than thou.

Even Roosters fans that I know don’t think they should be resetting the points, but I think this media stink is actually a typical Politis play.

Argue for something you are not going to win, whilst banking the next small battle you need to win. He’s successfully done this on third party deals and sponsorship agreements in the past. Politis Smoke and mirrors.
Yeah agreed. That's a load of tripe, botman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Remove the asterisk: Why only one revamped NRL fixture makes sense

There is only one competition format which makes sense at this point in time should the NRL return on May 28. Play 13 more games, with each club playing all other teams once. Whether you draw certain sides at home or away is a pill you simply have to swallow.

A conference system won't necessarily leave an asterisk next to the premiership winners, but there will always be questions hovering over a side who didn't play all of their rivals.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah nah Botman.

I agree with your earlier posts about potentially resetting the points if it’s a conference system and the whole setup is different.

If the NRL chooses this option for the season (playing everyone once and filling in those you haven’t already played), there is no valid reason to scrub the points. It’s purely poor sportsmanship.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raider47 wrote: April 12, 2020, 5:28 pm
Botman wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

I'm calling tripe as well. If we were 0-2 and DFJ or Sticky was crying for opening round points to be canned most of us would be telling them to suck it up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

A 15 round comp, inclusive of the first 2 rounds is the best possible outcome. If they have to play in 2 bubble conferences for a few weeks to restart the comp, that makes sense.

There is no logical reason to wipe the first two weeks of the comp unless they have to implement some weird conference setup.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The best part is that the Rooters are 0-2.

Lovely, just lovely.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ch9 are on tilt. Politis having a bleat. See, some good can come out of this pandemic.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: April 12, 2020, 6:27 pm Yeah nah Botman.

I agree with your earlier posts about potentially resetting the points if it’s a conference system and the whole setup is different.

If the NRL chooses this option for the season (playing everyone once and filling in those you haven’t already played), there is no valid reason to scrub the points. It’s purely poor sportsmanship.
Frankly, if it is a conference style system, we shouldn't be playing for the premiership. A seven game regular season would not be legitimate.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2020, 6:34 pm
Botman wrote:

I'm calling tripe as well. If we were 0-2 and DFJ or Sticky was crying for opening round points to be canned most of us would be telling them to suck it up.
Have any of you guys actually read this forum? :roflmao :roflmao

Not a **** chance boys, roughly 20% of the traffic on this site is dicussing how the NRL is always doing things that help clubs like the roosters and **** club like ours becasue they favour them. If the roosters and/or broncos were at 2-0 and us at 0-2 and they werent resetting the points, this place would RED HOT.

I cant even believe you guys are arguing against this! :roflmao

Edit: and FWIW, that's ok! This is how **** works with stuff like this, the clubs and fans at 2-0 want to keep the points, and the 0-2 team want the comp reset. No one is doing anything wrong there, as said it's up to the NRL to ignore the heavily skewed opinions based on situations and deliver the best outcome for the league, without worrying about any club... and for that, i agree with the proposed solution, the results stand and we run a 13 round comp where everyone plays each other once.

Everyone is doing what they should here.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by gangrenous »

Including botman. Being wrong as usual, and doubling down.

I mean if I’m wrong botman - Let’s start with a credible reason for wiping the points based on the proposed comp.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 12, 2020, 7:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2020, 6:34 pm
Botman wrote:

Have any of you guys actually read this forum? :roflmao :roflmao

Not a **** chance boys, roughly 20% of the traffic on this site is dicussing how the NRL is always doing things that help clubs like the roosters and **** club like ours becasue they favour them. If the roosters and/or broncos were at 2-0 and us at 0-2 and they werent resetting the points, this place would RED HOT.

I cant even believe you guys are arguing against this! :roflmao
Tell you what. Next time we have an 0-2 start and the comp gets suspended for a pandemic then Sticky complains that the opening round points shouldn't count we can see what the majority reaction is on this forum. Then we'll know who's right. Until such time you can't claim the high ground on this hypothetical situation you brought up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 12, 2020, 7:18 pm Including botman. Being wrong as usual, and doubling down.

I mean if I’m wrong botman - Let’s start with a credible reason for wiping the points based on the proposed comp.
You're conflating the two issues.
There is no credible reason for wiping the points. I've said this multiple times. Keeping the points is the right decision.

But you are off you're head if you think Ricky Stuart, DFJ and this fan base, and GH at large, would be backing a plan that involved keeping the competition points if we are 0-2 right now rather than 2-0.

Im not pushing back against the decision, im pushing back against the idea that somehow our club and most definitely our fan base is so god damn benevolent that we'd go against our own best interests to support the right decision. And i tender the entire history of the GH as my evidence that there is no slight, percieved or otherwise, no disadvantage, reasonable or otherwise, no error, accidental or otherwise that has ever been gracefully accepted by this fanbase :lol:

If the Roosters were 2-0 and we were 0-2, and Politis publicly stated how hard he'd fight a call to strip points and the NRL then days later accepted that the points must stand, it would 100000% be viewed as just another example of how much influencial the roosters hold. There is not a single doubt in my mind about that.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The bigger issue is not just Politis and his garbage call for the points to be scrapped.

It's that Politis basically admitted the Roosters didn't take the first two games seriously. And it's not even like they were playing Warriors and Titans like us - games we took plenty seriously.

This should be the issue we should be hammering Politis on. Not that the Roosters are 0-2 which is the only reason he wants this, but that they didn't take the opening two games seriously.

If Sticky had come out and said we didn't take the opening two games seriously, I'd be incandescent with rage. I hated enough that we didn't take the last round of last year seriously, but the opening two games! And they played Penrith and Manly, not two teams you could half-ass it in.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Roosters took the first two games seriously. It’s Politis scrounging for an excuse.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman, you can argue about what The GH would do. I’m not particularly interested in that fight. There’s a big spectrum here and you’d get people in all baskets.

But my argument to you, is that there’s no justification for Politis taking his stance beyond being a poor loser. There is no logical defence of stripping the points based on that version of the comp restart. It shows in that the best Politis can come up with is the adult version of “well I wasn’t trying yet, doesn’t count” you’d more likely hear in a playground.

So if we’re talking about what I would be saying in the event the shoe were on the other foot, I’m happy to say that I wouldn’t be seriously arguing for the points to be stripped. You might not always agree with my reasoning, but I do defend my viewpoints with reasoned arguments.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

HIs justification is its in the best interests of the sydney roosters.
That's his job. That's his logic. Again, if you think Stuart and DFJ wouldnt be saying the same thing Politis is if we were 0-2, then you're incredibly naive.
As i said originally, you can't blame him for trying... its not a coincidence that the winless clubs have all reportedly supported Politis's views, and the undefeated teams have pushed back strongly against it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I can and will blame him for trying when his entire argument is essentially based around “because I want it to be so”.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah Ok, i get it.
Politis is the big bad of the NRL for a club like ours. He's Darth Vadar and anything he does HAS to... HAS TO be met with complete and total derision. But he's not said or done anything here that every other CEO wouldnt do in that position. There is no neferious play here, nothing other than a CEO eager to get a mulligan on a tough start.

If this statement came from Andrew Hill (he's the bulldogs CEO, according to my google search) the response would be "lol, nice try" which is about all it deserves. And all it's been given by the powers that matter. The only reason this is even on the radar of the GH is because of who said it, not what was said.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Yeah Ok, i get it.
Politis is the big bad of the NRL for a club like ours. He's Darth Vadar and anything he does HAS to... HAS TO be met with complete and total derision. But he's not said or done anything here that every other CEO wouldnt do in that position. There is no neferious play here, nothing other than a CEO eager to get a mulligan on a tough start.

If this statement came from Andrew Hill (he's the bulldogs CEO, according to my google search) the response would be "lol, nice try" which is about all it deserves. And all it's been given by the powers that matter. The only reason this is even on the radar of the GH is because of who said it, not what was said.
I disagree every CEO does what he has done.

You also downplay his leverage. The players reportedly took a vote on this today. That’s not the NRL management saying “lol, nice try”

Ultimately he has said something in public that you agree has no logical basis, but we’re not allowed to call that out.

For once in your life just admit that your initial comments were a bit off the mark and move on.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Either you believe Politis has the power to potentially make this happen, in which case Raiders fans have every right to be up in arms about potentially losing earned competition points to the whims of a rival CEO coming from no logical standpoint.

Or you believe he doesn’t, in which case he’s making unnecessary, stupid arguments in public with nothing to gain apart from turmoil. Which certainly deserves some solid ridicule from Raiders fans.

It is astonishing the mental gymnastics that you will undertake to try and come from an unbiased position, that you end up arguing the ridiculous.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Anyone else embarrassed by the way our code is carrying on, the way some of the NRL officials are carrying on you would think restarting the 2020 season is the be all and end all.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

The first 2 rounds were played and settled. This was in 2020. NOW: What if we only lost 2 games to the pandemic? Would we scrap points? What about 4 games? 6 games?

Fact is, there are 2 games for each team in the bank. Most will recall, this health crisis was well under way before game 1. We didn't know if we'd be let in for that first game.

So, all teams prepared, played the games and a result is recorded.

Resetting the ladder makes no more sense that saying
"we will restart at round 12, so let's just adopt the ladder from round 12 last year, and keep playing."

If raiders were 0-2, I would sneakily hope they would reset. But I would know that this pie in the sky.

Just like Uncle Nick.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Politis is just saying his piece, but the way he has done it definitely just comes across as a massive cry.

They played 2 games of footy with the same preparation as everyone else. They lost. This is not a brand new season. Bad luck.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Riaan wrote: April 12, 2020, 10:53 pm Anyone else embarrassed by the way our code is carrying on, the way some of the NRL officials are carrying on you would think restarting the 2020 season is the be all and end all.
I'd suggest every single business that has had to shut down are doing their best to make plans to restart as soon as it's safe and practical to do so - and if they aren't, they are idiots.

I hate to break it to you, but for the NRL as an organisation playing the game Rugbah League is the be all and end all. That's what they do. What else do you expect them to do? Sit on their **** and do absolutely nothing for the rest of the season?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Don't you sleep Seiff ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 12, 2020, 10:47 pm Either you believe Politis has the power to potentially make this happen, in which case Raiders fans have every right to be up in arms about potentially losing earned competition points to the whims of a rival CEO coming from no logical standpoint.

Or you believe he doesn’t, in which case he’s making unnecessary, stupid arguments in public with nothing to gain apart from turmoil. Which certainly deserves some solid ridicule from Raiders fans.

It is astonishing the mental gymnastics that you will undertake to try and come from an unbiased position, that you end up arguing the ridiculous.
Haha, that’s a wild accusation from you of all people
I love how you painted that either or situation too. Beautiful stuff

Your problem is your utter and total inability to ever try and see things from another perspective. All you want to do here is see this for the raiders perspective, and that this is some nefarious plot to **** the raiders.

He’s running a club that’s 0-2, and there is talk about a 13 week competition, 2 games over 24 is easier to overcome then 2 in 15, so he takes a shot. It’s a desperate shot and one he knows isnt going to work but his job as roosters ceo is to take it none the less.

You don’t need to be aggrieved by it. But you are. You can’t ever not be aggrieved by it.

Ultimately a power broker at a club made a statement to try and garner a positive result for the club he’s employed at... the same as ours did btw.

But you want to act like this some unspeakable crime. It’s pretty funny
Last edited by Botman on April 13, 2020, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

If we were 0-2 and faced the prospect of a shortened comp pretty sure a bunch of people here would be raising the same argument as the Roosters' supremo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: ACT Chief Minister uncertain on NRL return date, but Raiders free to train if health advice allows

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr casts uncertainty on NRL's return date, but Raiders free to train if health advice permits

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has cast doubt on the NRL's plans to resume the competition next month, but says the Canberra Raiders would be free to train in the capital if health advice allowed. Barr also said the Raiders would be able to play at an empty Canberra Stadium if health authorities deemed it safe to do so.

"I don't blame them for wanting to plan, wanting to restart and wanting to get back into the competition. Of course every sporting code wants to do that but from this vantage point it does seem highly unlikely," Barr said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

All NRL teams can stay in NSW: Police Commissioner: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/all-nrl-te ... a3bac2934c

Winless Gold Coast Titans say competition points from opening rounds should stand: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/keep-nrl-p ... ff7ba7a412
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders free to train if health advice allows

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart and Canberra Raiders players adapting to life in isolation

Raiders head coach Ricky Stuart has spoken about his week in isolation, maintaining contact with the playing group, celebrating one of his assistant's birthdays and what jobs he is doing to help the new Centre of Excellence stay in good condition.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/14/stu ... isolation/

Rugby League Icons: Mal Meninga: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/14/mal ... e-career2/

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has been buoyed by the support offered by Channel Nine boss Hugh Marks after they met on Tuesday: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/14/vla ... r-meeting/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/live-b ... 35db8cf9a2

Queensland premier doubts Origin can proceed, while ScoMo supportive of plans for NRL return, but has a warning on ‘ambitious’ date: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... c165c1826d

PM offers cautious support for NRL's return bid: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/14/pm- ... eturn-bid/

Buzz doubles down on Channel Nine’s hypocrisy in ugly NRL war: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/channe ... 8c660cd2a4
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders free to train if health advice allows

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Anyone heard any news on Rappa ?