Canberra Raiders return to training at Braddon HQ

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 10, 2020, 12:03 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 10, 2020, 12:01 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: April 10, 2020, 11:33 am Channel 9 have been **** since the day Kerry Packer died.

I know nothing about running a TV network, but I do know they are doing a terrible job of it. It beggars belief that any company can pay hundreds of millions of $$ for a product and then do such horrible job of using or promoting it. They are dead set idiots.

Same with their cricket coverage. From a world leading and innovative product to absolutely hopeless.
They've been unable to move with the times. Had a formula and stuck with it well beyond its use by date. Whenever under threat they go on the attack with these old school media driven agendas underneath the thin veil of news stories. Always have the mentality they will tell the viewing public what it wants.
Yep. I simply cannot fathom how a company can undermine its own product so successfully! It's absolutely mind blowing how inept they are.
Yet rugby league has remained relatively successful regardless. Shows that it's a decent product. You can understand why Murdoch had big plans in taking it to the world stage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by gangrenous »

Azza wrote:Hope this encourages the NRL to change FTA networks come the next rights deal.
They should have changed last rights deal. From memory 7 and 10 put forward a comparable bid. They should have taken it. Agree with everything written here, channel nine agendas and control of the game has been to its detriment. Particularly the ref crackdown mentioned, that was disgusting.

Interestingly I skimmed through the Facebook comments on one of these articles and there was a lot that were anti-9. The NRL should stick to their guns on this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker urges fans to stay home this Easter to hasten rugby league’s return

Canberra captain Jarrod Croker has a clear message for this holiday weekend - “If people want to watch the footy, then they better stay home for Easter. I think if everyone buys into staying home this weekend and buying into what the government has requested we will be all good.”

“I’m sick of training and going for runs on my own and being stuck at home doing nothing. I’m also the same as everyone else. I’m sure everyone is pumped to get the footy back on – it is exciting.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b1129f951b
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Health Minister yet to give NRL the go-ahead to resume 2020 season: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nsw-health ... a1744453dc
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

I'm missing the footy as much as anyone, I reckon, but the NRL announcement has a touch of Trump's "beautiful timeline" about it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So Deputy CMO Paul Kelly is a Raiders supporter

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

-TW- wrote:So Deputy CMO Paul Kelly is a Raiders supporter

I just came here to say that

"There's other people around the teams, Wayne Bennett is in his 70s, he would be in a vulnerable group, Ricky Stuart with the mighty Raiders, he would potential be in a vulnerable group, so thinking about the team, not just the players, but those around them, is important," he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs the 15-round model as the only way to remove any asterisk from the 2020 NRL premier's name.

"The important point is to have a competition that has a high value of integrity and without over complicating the new competition - we've already had two games - I feel as though if we play another 13 games where everyone plays everyone once there's no asterisk beside the grand final winner," he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -asterisk/

'NRL needs to get permission to restart': Deputy CMO says

The NRL still needs to get government permission to restart on their proposed date of May 28.

"Whether May is the time will remain to be seen and definitely they'll need to get some permission to do that," deputy chief medical officer Paul Kelly said. "They're generally very fit young men and women, so they themselves are not at high risk. But there are other people around the teams... Ricky Stuart with the mighty Raiders, he would potentially be in a vulnerable group - although he's a bit younger."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -cmo-says/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-10/ ... y/12141050

PODCAST: League from the Lounge with Canberra Raiders coaching consultant Mick Ennis: https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/leag ... qbTI6DFBcM

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/l ... 1b5a57ab8a
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Brewdle wrote: April 10, 2020, 4:31 pm

"There's other people around the teams, Wayne Bennett is in his 70s, he would be in a vulnerable group, Ricky Stuart with the mighty Raiders, he would potential be in a vulnerable group, so thinking about the team, not just the players, but those around them, is important," he said.

Saw this and loved it too. I think he lives here. Stick is nowhere near 70 though not sure he’d like the Bennett/vulnerable comparison though :lol:
Next step is to suss out if Professor PK is on the Greenhouse!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by Azza »

I just hope the Deputy CMO doesn't turn out to be Nickman.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Azza wrote: April 10, 2020, 6:44 pm I just hope the Deputy CMO doesn't turn out to be Nickman.
The plot thickens... or possibly nickens?
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Oooohhh, I see what you did there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We need to remember that the proposal is not for the players to act like its business as usual. These guys and the support staff will effectively be put in a bubble irrespective of how the draw is managed.

I think it's important that a plan is being drawn up to actively manage the situation, rather than sit on their **** and wait for permission to do something after some nondescript period of time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Date for NRL return welcomed by Canberra Raiders star forward John Bateman

John Bateman has welcomed the announcement of a target return date for the NRL, but says the suspension of the competition has probably put his rehab from shoulder surgery back a week or two.

“Getting that date is important. As players, that’s probably what we’ve struggled to get our heads around – not knowing when we will be back. There’s a date there now and obviously there’s a lot more things to be fine-tuned beforehand, but it’s good to have something to aim for.”

Read more: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... an-2535227
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hudson Young hanging out for a restart I reckon..

An 8 match suspension handed out in August 2019 still not squashed..

It's April.

We are we at with that anyway ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: April 11, 2020, 6:13 am Hudson Young hanging out for a restart I reckon..

It's April.

Four matches still to serve.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2020, 7:24 am
-PJ- wrote: April 11, 2020, 6:13 am Hudson Young hanging out for a restart I reckon..

It's April.

Four matches still to serve.
Thanks GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart responds to suggestion he's in coronavirus 'vulnerable' category

Deputy chief medical officer Paul Kelly yesterday said that both Wayne Bennett and Ricky Stuart were 'vulnerable' in regards to the coronavirus. It prompted a comical response from Stuart - who is only 53 years old - which included a cheeky dig at the Souths supercoach.

“I’m very fortunate that he’s got my welfare in mind," Stuart said. "Don’t worry I’ve been copping it in the past 12 hours, particularly by people such as Craig Bellamy who has a good 15 years on me.

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... aofqj6x51c
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Old School Green wrote: April 10, 2020, 6:19 pm
Brewdle wrote: April 10, 2020, 4:31 pm

Saw this and loved it too. I think he lives here. Stick is nowhere near 70 though not sure he’d like the Bennett/vulnerable comparison though :lol:
Next step is to suss out if Professor PK is on the Greenhouse!
Yes the CMO and Deputy CMO live in Canberra. They work for the Federal Department of Health which is based in Woden.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I agree kiwi..
I'd love nothing more to go and watch the boys every weekend..within reason. With work and family commitments I can't. I can't remember the last time I went to Sydney to catch the Raiders.

The boys were due to play on the CC this year, I had planned to go to that one but Corona has squashed that.
We haven't been in Newcastle for a 4th straight year now..I always go to that one.
We are all busy, hats off to you all that can travel the country watching our boys..I envy you.

I've invested plenty into this club and will continue to do so.

I'm a fan. I know when they're playing and nothing else matters for those 2hrs.

#bleedgreen
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Just goes to show there are a range of opinions out there.

FWIW, I think people are craving live sport - and we all know league is a much bigger draw on TV compared to fans getting off their **** and going to the game (particularly in Sydney). People are now watching Supercar drivers playing video games for crying out loud. :lol:

And yeah, it's almost impossible to see any games being played in front of a live crowd this year, but you never know. You'd almost need a month of zero new cases nation-wide before a game for the authorities to allow crowds back.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2020, 9:21 pm Who’d have guessed?

Sydney Roosters boss Nick Politis demands the NRL restart the competition ladder

The NRL’s most influential official, billionaire Roosters boss Nick Politis, is demanding the season be restarted on May 28 with all 16 clubs on zero points to protect the integrity of the competition. Politis says the competition will become “meaningless” if it resumes over 13 games.

“If you change the draw, you’ve got to start again,” he said. “It becomes meaningless and makes it almost mathematically impossible for the bottom sides to make the top four.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e3ae0f9ef1

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sydne ... 5671389f85

Conference format set to reignite points loss debate: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/confer ... 54j12.html
**** off Politis. If your club didn't treat those two games seriously, then that's your problem.

#sixagain
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Nick Politis demands... :lol:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Politis who has exploited the unfair player market for 25 years is suddenly a fan of fairness and integrity?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You can’t blame him for trying
I don’t think they should reset the ladder, I think it’s fair to say each of those teams had a chance to earn points and those that did should keep them
But as I said initially too, I’m not worried if they do, we’re a really good team, we should be there when the whips are cracking in any which way that occurs
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I'm waiting to hear from Wayne..

Then we'll all know how its going to work.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, to be honest, we beat arguably the worst 2 teams in the comp - but they were legitimate NRL games and all teams had equal opportunity to prepare for those first two rounds.

The argument about teams being behind the 8-ball in a shortened comp is a bit of a furphy. If they got beaten by a better prepared team on the day, then the teams which won should absolutely have the benefit of the hard work which got them the W (in the Rooster's case they got beaten by Penrith and Manly).

If Politis is suggesting that their club treats some games more seriously than others, then that is an issue for them to deal with. Perhaps now they will have 13 more games this season to take seriously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If you play every team once, it’s the fairest possible draw. Hard to imagine how anyone could possibly complain about that. But the Roosters have just done it!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Go for another game of Golf, Politis. I'm sure you can have some bets with Roosters players on the result if you take them so you can circumnavigate the Cap as usual.

Fairness and Integrity indeed. What a stain on the game that club is
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wiki Special wrote:Go for another game of Golf, Politis. I'm sure you can have some bets with Roosters players on the result if you take them so you can circumnavigate the Cap as usual.

Fairness and Integrity indeed. What a stain on the game that club is
Wasn’t Politis fault that he hit a triple bogey on that hole he had a $50,000 bet on. So unlucky.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2020, 9:02 am If you play every team once, it’s the fairest possible draw. Hard to imagine how anyone could possibly complain about that. But the Roosters have just done it!
Absolutely. You can’t get upset he’s trying, that’s why he’s an exceptional team owner.

But there needs to be at least 15 games to have everyone play each other once, and we will be running in a limited timeframe. It would be mad from a scheduling point of view to add 2 Weeks to a post corona schedule to keep uncle Nick happy.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Coastalraider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2020, 9:02 am If you play every team once, it’s the fairest possible draw. Hard to imagine how anyone could possibly complain about that. But the Roosters have just done it!
Absolutely. You can’t get upset he’s trying, that’s why he’s an exceptional team owner.
Disagree. There’s doing the best for your team and there’s being an unreasonable spoiled sore loser.

This is firmly in the latter.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

2020 again!
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yes. In an extremely unusual and difficult set of circumstances, trying to come up with a makeshift draw and a fair and valid comp I was surprised that in amongst all the wacky ideas the NRL actually did manage to come up with a solid, no arguments draw that would actually see a fair winner.

Everyone gets to play everyone; every game counts for 2 points. Finals to follow.

I don't think the Roosters will get much traction with whinging, blind Freddy could see it's the fairest to each club and most easily understandable/sellable format to the fans.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

BadnMean wrote: I don't think the Roosters will get much traction with whinging, blind Freddy could see it's the fairest to each club and most easily understandable/sellable format to the fans.
Blind Freddy actually wanted to halve the points from the first 2 rounds.. for some reason

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-fittl ... 312a891b46
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine