Canberra Raiders return to training at Braddon HQ

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Canberra Raiders return to training at Braddon HQ

Post by greeneyed »

ARL Commission set to sign off on season return and eyeing off 21 May as start date

The ARL Commission is tomorrow expected to sign off on the return of the NRL competition from as early as May 21. A Sydney-based, 15-round season is the preferred option of the two proposals that will be discussed at the NRL innovation committee meeting tomorrow morning.

The Raiders are expected to stay in Canberra and travel to Sydney on game day.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/commis ... 54icc.html

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/arl-commis ... a3b6108272

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fe489c6550

Sydney players to remain at home, Queensland teams, Storm, Warriors to come to Sydney for at least two weeks, charters might follow, presumably depending on border restrictions. Raiders and Knights to travel to Sydney on game day.

It'd be the ideal situation to see all teams play each other once. I think the NRL might be being a bit too optimistic on the re-start...
Image
kona_dream
Simon Woolford
Posts: 444
Joined: May 13, 2010, 2:31 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by kona_dream »

Looking foward to some footy. It is all coming together as I had hoped except shortening the season. My bet @2.15 for a restart of the comp before July 1 is looking so good they are no longer accepting bets.

Bring back the NRL!
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26992
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

The want to keep about 500 people in a "bubble". What better place than the most densely populated place in the country with the highest concentration of virus cases. For accommodation they can put them all up in backpacker hostels in Bondi.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24101
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good news.

Forget the infection rate, the raw number of new infections is at levels of 3 weeks ago, despite a huge increase in testing.

The date surprises me a bit as you would assume that means contact training would have to be allowed to commence around the beginning of May. In saying that, I suspect in 1-2 weeks time the limitation on public gatherings will be gradually eased.

It is interesting that they are basing it in Sydney though.

I wonder what it means for the Warriors.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

May day could answer NRL prayers

The ARL Commission set to meet to decide on Thursday afternoon whether a May 21 start date is feasible. One option would see all players put into 14 days isolation, but it seems it is not preferred.

"That wouldn't bother me. It just means 14 days of sleep," Josh Papalii said. "If we had to do it to get back to playing I'm happy to do it. But if we're going to do the 14 days and end up not playing then there's no point doing it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Image
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24101
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Seiffert82 »

Surely they will arrange for all the players and support staff to be tested in a months time. Get the stats up.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Posts: 4022
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by raiderskater »

May 21 seems very early...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32341
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by -TW- »

raiderskater wrote:May 21 seems very early...
Considering the fact the infection rate is ~2% per day now, where it was expected to be much higher when they pulled the trigger it's not that unexpected

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders speak about new reality for NRL players

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson says players ‘have a duty’ to revive season

Canberra’s star Englishman Josh Hodgson only moved into a new house on Tuesday. Now is not the perfect time for Hodgson to be talking about up and leaving his young family for an extended period so he can go and play footy, but he also understands that rugby league is the job that puts a roof over their heads.

“We have spoken about it,” Hodgson said. “It would be really hard at home with my wife on her own with the kids and no real family here to help out.But at the end of the day we both kind of said the same thing, you have got to do what you have to do to get the game going again.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 276d956c02
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says preferred option is for all 16 teams to face each other once

Canberra chief executive Don Furner, who is part of the ‘Project Apollo’ innovation committee, says his preference is for all 16 teams to face each other once.

“Absolutely. That’s the only way you can go. You can’t just come up with another competition. We’ve got to make it as authentic as possible. That’s why playing each other once, having the semi-finals near enough to where they would have been, trying to keep Origin near enough to where it would have been (is important).”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 760f0f3037

Furner vows to uphold NRL comp integrity: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/gallen-wan ... f06724cacd

Inside the blockbuster coaches’ call to plot Super Bowl-style NRL revival: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2fa6cf7fd0
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

Brad Fittler calls on NRL to halve points from first two rounds as restart nears: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-fittl ... 312a891b46

Makes absolutely no sense. Complete nonsense. The Roosters and Rabbitohs really are doing everything possible to wipe the opening rounds.
Image
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24101
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fittler's an idiot. It's like the idea to start the season with 3 Origin games. Makes absolutely no sense.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Posts: 403
Joined: November 11, 2019, 8:40 pm
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by GMGT »

greeneyed wrote: April 8, 2020, 10:22 pm Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says preferred option is for all 16 teams to face each other once

Canberra chief executive Don Furner, who is part of the ‘Project Apollo’ innovation committee, says his preference is for all 16 teams to face each other once.

“Absolutely. That’s the only way you can go. You can’t just come up with another competition. We’ve got to make it as authentic as possible. That’s why playing each other once, having the semi-finals near enough to where they would have been, trying to keep Origin near enough to where it would have been (is important).”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 760f0f3037

Furner vows to uphold NRL comp integrity: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/gallen-wan ... f06724cacd

Inside the blockbuster coaches’ call to plot Super Bowl-style NRL revival: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2fa6cf7fd0
Love your work Donny Boy... agree completely. The two conference idea sounds **** ridiculous.
User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7966
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:Brad Fittler calls on NRL to halve points from first two rounds as restart nears: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-fittl ... 312a891b46

Makes absolutely no sense. Complete nonsense. The Roosters and Rabbitohs really are doing everything possible to wipe the opening rounds.
Filter doesn’t even give a reason as to why..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7966
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Sid »

Even though Raiders would have the toughest draw from any team from here on in I like the idea of every team playing each other once

Not sure about playing in Sydney though, even if it makes the most logistical sense it does raise a great risk of a player contracting the virus which will just put a halt on everything again
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24101
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Seiffert82 »

FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9013
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by gergreg »

Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Agreed and if possible in a neutral location, ie not Suncorp stadium

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5132
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by BJ »

Sid wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Brad Fittler calls on NRL to halve points from first two rounds as restart nears: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-fittl ... 312a891b46

Makes absolutely no sense. Complete nonsense. The Roosters and Rabbitohs really are doing everything possible to wipe the opening rounds.
Filter doesn’t even give a reason as to why..
BJ Mole doesn’t agree with Fitler’s idea to halve points and instead promotes tripling existing points.

Raiders on 12 points Roosters 0. No reason for this approach will be given either.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26992
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: April 8, 2020, 11:25 pm
greeneyed wrote:Brad Fittler calls on NRL to halve points from first two rounds as restart nears: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-fittl ... 312a891b46

Makes absolutely no sense. Complete nonsense. The Roosters and Rabbitohs really are doing everything possible to wipe the opening rounds.
Filter doesn’t even give a reason as to why..
Becsause Roosters don't have any. Come on Sid, get with the program.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26992
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 9, 2020, 6:47 am FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Is the thought process around splitting into groups due to logistics?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:04 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 9, 2020, 6:47 am FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Is the thought process around splitting into groups due to logistics?
It’s the bio security advice. Putting 640 people in one place... as soon as one person is diagnosed the whole competition stops for two weeks.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: April 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Agreed and if possible in a neutral location, ie not Suncorp stadium

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I found it strange that Queensland kept being raised as a location. The border is closed and only Queensland residents can cross it. Even putting that aside, at the very least, every time anyone goes into Queensland there’s a two week isolation period. While that restriction exists, you can’t get other teams into the State.
Image
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26992
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:04 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 9, 2020, 6:47 am FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Is the thought process around splitting into groups due to logistics?
It’s the bio security advice. Putting 640 people in one place... as soon as one person is diagnosed the whole competition stops for two weeks.
What happens if somebody tests positive when they're in 2 groups?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20216
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by -PJ- »

How funny is Brad Fittler ?

He's that guy you invite around for the bbq to laugh at...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:30 am
greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:04 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 9, 2020, 6:47 am FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Is the thought process around splitting into groups due to logistics?
It’s the bio security advice. Putting 640 people in one place... as soon as one person is diagnosed the whole competition stops for two weeks.
What happens if somebody tests positive when they're in 2 groups?
They shut down half the competition for two weeks.
Image
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2779
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: April 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Agreed and if possible in a neutral location, ie not Suncorp stadium

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Agree 100%. It might as well be a stadium with a view, so it looks good on TV. Like Central Coast stadium.

That way I can watch from the bridge :roflmao
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9013
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by gergreg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Agreed and if possible in a neutral location, ie not Suncorp stadium

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I found it strange that Queensland kept being raised as a location. The border is closed and only Queensland residents can cross it. Even putting that aside, at the very least, every time anyone goes into Queensland there’s a two week isolation period. While that restriction exists, you can’t get other teams into the State.
I think part of the reason of having 2 groups of teams playing at central locations is to minimise costs. I remember Gladstone was touted as a potential location earlier but the problem there is the broadcasting setup. That is partly why QLD (southeast) is mentioned. But there are other possibilities like Central coast, Perth. Not sure that central coast has the accommodation for 8 teams? Despite the infection rate being high in Sydney at least ANZ/Homebush is more neutral than Suncorp and they have accommodation right next to the stadium. And they could setup a decent isolation zone in the area.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2779
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: April 9, 2020, 11:14 am
greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Seiffert82 wrote:FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Agreed and if possible in a neutral location, ie not Suncorp stadium

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I found it strange that Queensland kept being raised as a location. The border is closed and only Queensland residents can cross it. Even putting that aside, at the very least, every time anyone goes into Queensland there’s a two week isolation period. While that restriction exists, you can’t get other teams into the State.
I think part of the reason of having 2 groups of teams playing at central locations is to minimise costs. I remember Gladstone was touted as a potential location earlier but the problem there is the broadcasting setup. That is partly why QLD (southeast) is mentioned. But there are other possibilities like Central coast, Perth. Not sure that central coast has the accommodation for 8 teams? Despite the infection rate being high in Sydney at least ANZ/Homebush is more neutral than Suncorp and they have accommodation right next to the stadium. And they could setup a decent isolation zone in the area.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Ill set some tents up for the lads at my joint on the Central Coast. Problem solved.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26992
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2020, 10:08 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:30 am
greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 9:04 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 9, 2020, 6:47 am FWIW, I reckon with such an early proposed start, they could probably split the teams in two groups of 8 and play in two "bubbles" for the first 5 weeks (i.e. you have 7 other teams in your conference, so if you've played 2 of them already there is a minimum of 5 teams you haven't already played); so that gives an extra 5 weeks for the COVID-19 curve to flatten while the players are in isolation, and hopefully by then (end of June) the borders will be well and truly open so each team can go home and you just play the last 8 rounds as normal - but most likely in front of no crowds.
Is the thought process around splitting into groups due to logistics?
It’s the bio security advice. Putting 640 people in one place... as soon as one person is diagnosed the whole competition stops for two weeks.
What happens if somebody tests positive when they're in 2 groups?
They shut down half the competition for two weeks.
Which is a whole new problem in itself.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32341
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by -TW- »

Without being blasè about the whole thing, the risk of a player being infected is considerably lower now than when we stopped.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

Channel Nine launch attack on NRL

Channel 9 has launched a stunning attack on the NRL in a spray that could end the career of CEO Todd Greenberg. The NRL is about to sign off on a May season return date but has apparently not properly consulted Channel 9.

“At 9 we had hoped to work with the NRL on a solution to the issues facing rugby league in 2020, brought on so starkly by COVID-19,” a spokesperson told the Herald.“But this health crisis in our community has highlighted the mismanagement of the code over many years.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 15ced907e3

Nine for years, underpaid the NRL, and have exploited it to the maximum degree... rather than act as a genuine partner to build the code. They still seem to think they should administer the NRL and decide upon the scheduling of matches.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL will sign off today on a May return. Here’s exactly how it’s going to work

The Project Apollo meeting has kicked off at 10am Thursday at Rugby League Central in Moore Park and is strongly tipped to ratify a 15-round version of the competition and push for a start date of either May 21 or 28. Points already accrued in the opening two rounds will be retained.

There will be 13 rounds of NRL football to make a 15-game season in total – meaning the grand final can be played in October.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 569e98161a
Image
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26992
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2020, 12:32 pm Channel Nine launch attack on NRL

Channel 9 has launched a stunning attack on the NRL in a spray that could end the career of CEO Todd Greenberg. The NRL is about to sign off on a May season return date but has apparently not properly consulted Channel 9.

“At 9 we had hoped to work with the NRL on a solution to the issues facing rugby league in 2020, brought on so starkly by COVID-19,” a spokesperson told the Herald.“But this health crisis in our community has highlighted the mismanagement of the code over many years.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 15ced907e3

Nine for years, underpaid the NRL, and have exploited it to the maximum degree... rather than act as a genuine partner to build the code. They still seem to think they should administer the NRL and decide upon the scheduling of matches.
Interesting stuff. Agree with you that Ch9 has dictated to the NRL for far too long. What surprised me is that any proposed new format has not been vetted by the broadcaster given they will be source of funds for it. NRL provide the product, TV sells it to the public. Neither one can succeed without the other.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2020, 2:02 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2020, 12:32 pm Channel Nine launch attack on NRL

Channel 9 has launched a stunning attack on the NRL in a spray that could end the career of CEO Todd Greenberg. The NRL is about to sign off on a May season return date but has apparently not properly consulted Channel 9.

“At 9 we had hoped to work with the NRL on a solution to the issues facing rugby league in 2020, brought on so starkly by COVID-19,” a spokesperson told the Herald.“But this health crisis in our community has highlighted the mismanagement of the code over many years.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 15ced907e3

Nine for years, underpaid the NRL, and have exploited it to the maximum degree... rather than act as a genuine partner to build the code. They still seem to think they should administer the NRL and decide upon the scheduling of matches.
Interesting stuff. Agree with you that Ch9 has dictated to the NRL for far too long. What surprised me is that any proposed new format has not been vetted by the broadcaster given they will be source of funds for it. NRL provide the product, TV sells it to the public. Neither one can succeed without the other.
Maybe they could have just picked up the phone? They've reportedly been very uncooperative in talks to date. They clearly see this as an opportunity to ditch the contract at current rates and low ball the NRL on a new one. The NRL should stand up to them. I fully expect V'landys will.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134357
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders to remain at home and play in Sydney under preferred option for season re-start

Post by greeneyed »

An NRL return will be good for everyone - provided it's not too soon
OPINION
David Polkinghorne

Everyone who's lost their job or knows they could at any second wants to be working. Even if it involves staring at the same four walls of your house every hour of the day. And NRL players are no different. That's why they're so keen to return to the field. And if it's safe to do so then they should be allowed to. Along with everyone else whose jobs are safe to return to. But there's also reasons the game shouldn't come back.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -too-soon/
Image
Post Reply