Your Raiders XVII during your lifetime

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Your Raiders XVII during your lifetime

Post by edwahu »

Cranky Old Man wrote: April 22, 2020, 5:25 pm I see Sam Backo nominated in surprisingly many teams. As a bloke I really liked Sam, good hearted, happy go lucky and generous, and very talented. I played against him a few times, and around the sheds he was popular, his talent recognised but he was considered a bit "soft", and used to cop an inordinate amount of sledging as a consequence. I was overseas when he came into grade, and on return I was a bit shocked to see him there, but old Don Furner sure had a better eye for potential than I ever did.
I still find it hard to believe he would make any All Time team.
Interesting perspective. I'd always have Backo in my all time team based on his record but I really can't remember him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In first grade, he was anything but “soft”. One of my favourites... hated seeing him play for the Broncos.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: April 22, 2020, 6:04 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: April 22, 2020, 5:25 pm I see Sam Backo nominated in surprisingly many teams. As a bloke I really liked Sam, good hearted, happy go lucky and generous, and very talented. I played against him a few times, and around the sheds he was popular, his talent recognised but he was considered a bit "soft", and used to cop an inordinate amount of sledging as a consequence. I was overseas when he came into grade, and on return I was a bit shocked to see him there, but old Don Furner sure had a better eye for potential than I ever did.
I still find it hard to believe he would make any All Time team.
Interesting perspective. I'd always have Backo in my all time team based on his record but I really can't remember him.
Search up some Raiders games from '88 on Youtube. He tears it up in some of them.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

1. Mullins
2. Noa
3. Mal
4. Wiki
5. Negas
6. Daley
7. Stuart
8. Lazo
9. Walters
10 Papa
11. B Kennedy
12. Furner
13. Clyde

14. Jason Croker
15. B Todd
16. Lomax
17. Pongia
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I've been a fan since '89 (when I was 9 years old) but was a diehard fan from '94 onwards, so my team is a little 94-centric, I'll admit that. I still think our '95 team was one of the best ever.

1. Brett Mullins
2. Kenny Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Jarrod Croker (if we're playing inside/outside centre, Croker would be the outside centre)
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Glenn Lazarus
9. Steve Walters
10. Ruben Wiki (interchangeable with Papalii)
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Bradley Clyde

14. Terry Campese
15. Jason Croker
16. Quentin Pongia
17. Josh Papalii (interchangeable with Wiki)

Now **** off, I've got work to do.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He's back from monitoring the highway with his shotgun!

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017