Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by afgtnk »

Would be a bit of a hollow feeling winning a premiership based on a 13 week season, wouldn't it? The whole integrity of the comp has just been destroyed this season.

Can see opposition fans giving it hard to the team that does.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Ricky Stuart says he'll fight proposal to strip competition points from opening rounds

Post by -PJ- »

And the winning fans giving it back 15 fold..

2020 will always have a * next to it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You'd have thought that the 1997 premierships would have an asterisk next to them too, but they don't. The way the Sydney commentators go on about the Knights' win over Manly... let's just say they seem to have forgotten it was in half a competition.

Whoever wins in 2020, if the season is not cancelled, will have overcome a lot of adversity to do so.
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

A win is a win. If I was at the grand final this year, watching the Raiders win I wouldn't care if it was a 4 comp series or a 25 week comp. I'd be happy either way.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:15 am You'd have thought that the 1997 premierships would have an asterisk next to them too, but they don't. The way the Sydney commentators go on about the Knights' win over Manly... let's just say they seem to have forgotten it was in half a competition.

Whoever wins in 2020, if the season is not cancelled, will have overcome a lot of adversity to do so.
I live in Newcastle, let me just say I’ve only made the ‘1.5 premierships’ joke once in a room full of Knights fans.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:You'd have thought that the 1997 premierships would have an asterisk next to them too, but they don't. The way the Sydney commentators go on about the Knights' win over Manly... let's just say they seem to have forgotten it was in half a competition.

They spoke about that on Fox league live last night.

Gordy basically said you still have to prepare and play who's in front of you on the day to win the trophy.

But we're still in a full competition, just reduced to 16 rounds or whatever it ends up being. Still play every team etc

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: April 7, 2020, 10:24 am
julian87 wrote:You can’t have a 7 round season. **** Origin off for a year and make it te 2 games already plus another 10+ imo
They're not going to get rid of Origin, it makes them way too much money.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
then play them mid week and let the players back up playing 3 games in 6/7 days.

They should be nice and fresh anyways, just remove thurs/fri night footy for the origin time period.
I think you could realistically say 3 games every two weeks. Squads are 30 these days so there is no reason teams can't use their players sensibly.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

afgtnk wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:00 am Would be a bit of a hollow feeling winning a premiership based on a 13 week season, wouldn't it? The whole integrity of the comp has just been destroyed this season.

I think if you beat the Roosters and Storm in a final series to win it then it's as legitimate as any. That's really been the main requirement to winning a comp for over a decade.

No doubt opposition fans will not see it that way though.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

edwahu wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:41 am
afgtnk wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:00 am Would be a bit of a hollow feeling winning a premiership based on a 13 week season, wouldn't it? The whole integrity of the comp has just been destroyed this season.

I think if you beat the Roosters and Storm in a final series to win it then it's as legitimate as any. That's really been the main requirement to winning a comp for over a decade.

No doubt opposition fans will not see it that way though.
The sharks beat us / cows / storm.

No chooks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:35 am
greeneyed wrote:You'd have thought that the 1997 premierships would have an asterisk next to them too, but they don't. The way the Sydney commentators go on about the Knights' win over Manly... let's just say they seem to have forgotten it was in half a competition.

They spoke about that on Fox league live last night.

Gordy basically said you still have to prepare and play who's in front of you on the day to win the trophy.

But we're still in a full competition, just reduced to 16 rounds or whatever it ends up being. Still play every team etc

Seems to be a bit of confusion about what the options actually are. One outlined yesterday was seven games in each conference and that's the regular season over. We'd play the Warriors and Titans twice, and the other five teams in the conference once.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Timbo wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2020, 11:15 am You'd have thought that the 1997 premierships would have an asterisk next to them too, but they don't. The way the Sydney commentators go on about the Knights' win over Manly... let's just say they seem to have forgotten it was in half a competition.

I live in Newcastle, let me just say I’ve only made the ‘1.5 premierships’ joke once in a room full of Knights fans.
born and bred novocastrian, I point out their 1 true premiership constantly

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Idea has been dropped and good riddance - it was a dumb one.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I cant imagine it will be hollow for the club and fans that win it. Certainly i wont view it as hallow
Fans will get try and get their jokes off and the fan base of the winning team wont give the faintest ****. Nor should they
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders relieved as ARLC Chair Peter V'landys intervenes and rules out plan to scrap competition points from opening rounds

The Canberra Raiders' equal-best start to a season in 15 years will stand after ARL commission chairman Peter V'Landys stepped into to scupper plans to erase two rounds from the history books.

"I spoke with Wayne Pearce this morning and we both agreed that it's not going to come under consideration," V'landys said. "The commission has not considered it and it won't be considering it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

NRL backflips on possible plan to strip competition points from completed rounds: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-confer ... d35b0cc030

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... d37d92bf12
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: April 7, 2020, 1:49 pm Idea has been dropped and good riddance - it was a dumb one.
Yeah, not sure it was really an idea to begin with. I reckon it was only a reporter putting the question to Pearce and because he didn't immediately rule it out they all ran with the story.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

A twitspiracy was they leaked it to the media to gage reaction

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Braith Anasta and Sam Burgess on Fox League Live telling us vehemently the competition points from the opening two rounds cannot count under a conference system. Telling us till their blue in the face. Wonder who theyve been talking to.

Meanwhile James Hooper tells us Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett went to see V'Landys yesterday to outline their vision for a conference system...
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I fully disagree with this concept. No team has been weakened, no team has been removed, nothing has made the competition weaker. The only thing it might be, is a little shorter. But that doesn't mean winning it would be easier. We would surely have to play Roosters and Storm at least once or twice to win the comp. If anything, the team who wins should be lauded, as being able to re-start after an unexpected stoppage and massively reduced training time and launch full speed into a season would be quite a feat.

No surprises that it was Trent Robinson who pitched it - how many games did the Roosters win in the first two rounds...? Oh right...none! Can't imagine why the Roosters' coach would want the points from the first two rounds stripped, eh? :roll:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I can handle the conference system, I really hope it can be avoided. But if it had to be I really do think there needs to be a cross over somehow for the finals. The best 2 teams need to be able to make the final otherwise it has no resemblance to the regular comp.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ben Ikin was on Fox League Live too. He was suggesting that the opening round competition points should count if we’re playing for the premiership. But perhaps it won’t be possible to get a premiership competition back on the rails... and the key thing is to play games to get broadcast revenue... and things are so uncertain, all we might be able to do is some form of tournament.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

'97 ARL Grand Final is remembered for the quality of the game, not so much as being the "true" champions or any of that malarkey...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hrundi89 wrote: April 7, 2020, 8:18 pm '97 ARL Grand Final is remembered for the quality of the game, not so much as being the "true" champions or any of that malarkey...
But it was a poor game. It just had a good finish.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

It doesn't have to be great to be great.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
hrundi89 wrote: April 7, 2020, 8:18 pm '97 ARL Grand Final is remembered for the quality of the game, not so much as being the "true" champions or any of that malarkey...
But it was a poor game. It just had a good finish.
But Manly lost! The modern day equivalent was the Cowboys beating the Broncos. Neither game was a classic but great endings and the **** bags lost.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What this Bull about the comp being legit for whoever wins it?

If we end up playing 15 rounds, all bar one away from home and we end up winning it, nobody is telling me the comp is not legit.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Seiffert82 wrote:What this Bull about the comp being legit for whoever wins it?

If we end up playing 15 rounds, all bar one away from home and we end up winning it, nobody is telling me the comp is not legit.
It is a shame the club won’t be able to take advantage of higher crowd numbers off the back of their most successful season since ‘94
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

1997 grand not a good game just a good Finish? :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

I have that grand final in the top 3 to 5 grand finals I have seen and many agree it is up there.

It had it all.
raider 4 life
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:

I cant imagine it will be hollow for the club and fans that win it. Certainly i wont view it as hallow
Fans will get try and get their jokes off and the fan base of the winning team wont give the faintest ****. Nor should they
Wouldn’t it be the fairest comp in years if everyone plays each other once, and then a final series followed?

As opposed to playing an uneven draw where your run depends on channel 9 and foxsports?
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The decision to allow the initial 2 rounds results to stand is the correct one imo. A tick for V'landys.

There will be no rugby league played until the Federal (and NZ) Government relaxes the social distancing rules. Once that is relaxed it will make sense to test every player/trainer/coaching staff member/ref to zero base the Covid-19 free start date. I think we will see the initial re-start of the competition with no fans at stadiums. Why? To reduce the chance of a 'non-tested' fan who may have the virus coming into contact with a player/official who has tested clear.

While not 100% opposed to the conference idea from the point of view of isolating groups of players, I don't see what is wrong with continuing the competition for 2020 using the current draw. All of the players will have been tested so why not continue from whatever start date is allowed? The venues are simply told 'it's on again'. There is no 'perfect' outcome in such a disrupted season. I would look to play out the competition and stage the State of Origin two weeks after the grand final and played over 3 consecutive weeks with both teams given a squad of, say, 25 players to draw from over the 3 weeks of post season Origin footy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The issue is the tests are still in short supply and the plan seems to be to isolate every player and staff member in a room for 14 days with exercise equipment... before it can kick off. Now back to putting all teams in Sydney (Homebush is the main option it seems) which is the centre of the virus... I can’t see that flying with the players.

Players and staff to endure 14-day solitary confinement under bubble plan: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-pr ... 54hzn.html

NRL will ask players to enter a prison-like ‘bubble’. Cam Smith says that’s not on: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fe489c6550
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Cant believe people were really pissed off by this. We would lose our wins over the titans and warriors. We would get to play them again. If it split into conferences we would be in a much easier pool. The only annoying thing out of it is that the roosters would lose two losses. But lets face it, theyre going to be there at the end of the season anyway
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

simo wrote:Cant believe people were really pissed off by this. We would lose our wins over the titans and warriors. We would get to play them again. If it split into conferences we would be in a much easier pool. The only annoying thing out of it is that the roosters would lose two losses. But lets face it, theyre going to be there at the end of the season anyway
I don’t think it’s about the wins or losses, but it’s about the integrity of the competition, honouring the original claims by the NRL about the start of the season and providing the players with some meaning to their original offseason.

Sports efforts and results have to mean something otherwise we may as well just watch ET Rugby League 1991 video game.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The competition hasn't had an draw where every team plays the other the same number of times for 20 years.

On what basis do you ditch the first 2 games? This is only relevant if you have 2 conferences that have their own winner and the two top teams play in a superbowl style grand final. I just don't see why this will be necessary in 5-6 months time when the regular season games are over.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: April 8, 2020, 7:15 am The issue is the tests are still in short supply and the plan seems to be to isolate every player and staff member in a room for 14 days with exercise equipment... before it can kick off. Now back to putting all teams in Sydney (Homebush is the main option it seems) which is the centre of the virus... I can’t see that flying with the players.

Players and staff to endure 14-day solitary confinement under bubble plan: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-pr ... 54hzn.html

NRL will ask players to enter a prison-like ‘bubble’. Cam Smith says that’s not on: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fe489c6550
Penrith is the other site: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b9892c4634
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tbh that makes more sense than a conference system

4 games at ANZ, 2 games at Penrith, 2 at Bankwest

Bus trips up and down the M4