All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

The most underrated Raiders of all time

Post by greeneyed »

Underrated XIII: The best NRL players who've never received enough praise

3. JARROD CROKER

If there’s a player who deserves a premiership ring it’s this guy. And he came within minutes of getting it last year. Croker bleeds green and is the heart of that Canberra side.

9. ALAN TONGUE

The fiery redhead was the heart and soul of the Raiders club from his debut in 2000 until his retirement in 2011.
Tongue scored 31 tries in 220 games for the ‘Green Machine’ and finished his career as a one club player.

13. SHAUN FENSOM

Was as loyal to the Green Machine as they come, debuting for the Raiders in 2009 and playing 139 games for the club.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... eyNjcZJOvI

Who are the Canberra Raiders who are the most underrated of all time? Tell us!
edwahu

Re: Underrated XIII: The best NRL players who've never received enough praise

Post by edwahu »

I think amongst Raiders fans those three wouldn't qualify.

For mine I think Thurling was one of the most underrated. Joel Monas and TLL are two that were also really great for us but a pretty much forgotten or considered worse than they were.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

in that nrl list i'd have Merritt overrated and found out as such in origin

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I always thought Justin Morgan was decent in his one year for us. Michael Hodgson is another forgotten player who have us great value.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: April 3, 2020, 9:40 am I think amongst Raiders fans those three wouldn't qualify.

For mine I think Thurling was one of the most underrated. Joel Monas and TLL are two that were also really great for us but a pretty much forgotten or considered worse than they were.
I'd agree Monaghan was very, very good for a long period. He was effective in most facets of the game too. It's like it all got wiped away for being an idiot.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: April 3, 2020, 9:40 am I think amongst Raiders fans those three wouldn't qualify.

Both TLL and Joel played for Australia. That doesnt qualify as underrated. Under achieved, for TLL, yes. But that was injury affected.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: April 3, 2020, 9:55 am in that nrl list i'd have Merritt overrated and found out as such in origin

Tallis would have made the same tackle on Burt or Patten as he did on Hodgson. Im surprised a guy like Blacklock also didnt suffer the same fate. Smaller outside backs arent built for the modern Origin arena. Players are too big.

That doesnt mean all of them werent top flight club players, and Id definitely put them all in that category.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: April 3, 2020, 9:55 am in that nrl list i'd have Merritt overrated and found out as such in origin

Tallis would have made the same tackle on Burt or Patten as he did on Hodgson. Im surprised a guy like Blacklock also didnt suffer the same fate. Smaller outside backs arent built for the modern Origin arena. Players are too big.

That doesnt mean all of them werent top flight club players, and Id definitely put them all in that category.
Merritt was fast, that's all though. Those others you mention were all more rounded

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fensom was a real old school workhorse lock. Type of player every team wanted. HaHe was consistently on of our best players when the rest of the team was going horrible. Unfortunately the as the game got faster his type of player and role became less effective.

AT kinda similar. Lack of size prevented him going to the next level. Had one of the best low tackling techniques in the league. While he had decent ball skills, trying to turn him into a spine player was and abject failure.

One of my favourite underrated Raiders was the Plum. Anybody copping one of his tackles never underrated him. :lol:
Last edited by Northern Raider on April 3, 2020, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: April 3, 2020, 10:29 am
Matt wrote:

Merritt was fast, that's all though. Those others you mention were all more rounded
Addo-Carr is one of those small, fast wingers. He can handle himself at the top level because he has game smarts. Knows how and when to use his speed. Doesn't often put himself in those positions where he gets monstered. For a small guy you rarely see him bundled into touch.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: April 3, 2020, 10:06 am

Both TLL and Joel played for Australia. That doesnt qualify as underrated. Under achieved, for TLL, yes. But that was injury affected.
As I mentioned, I am talking about amongst the fanbase. Rep footy is just a rating by selectors at the end of the day.

In the same way nobody could say Alan Tongue is underrated amongst Raiders fans.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I honestly forgot TLL played for Australia ..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We've had plenty of players that just turned up and did their very best over a lot of years.

Some were better than others. But most did their bit.

For a while there a team list Tuesday without Shaun Fensom was enough to poke my own eyes out.

Alan Rothery, Ben Jones, Andrew Lomu, Jason Williams, Terry Martin, Joe Picker, Glen Turner.

Colin Best for me, I liked him. Solid.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: April 3, 2020, 11:17 am We've had plenty of players that just turned up and did their very best over a lot of years.

Some were better than others. But most did their bit.

For a while there a team list Tuesday without Shaun Fensom was enough to poke my own eyes out.

Alan Rothery, Ben Jones, Andrew Lomu, Jason Williams, Terry Martin, Joe Picker, Glen Turner.

Colin Best for me, I liked him. Solid.
Best was so good in 2008. Him destroying Gasnier is still one of my favourite Raiders moments.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Tongue to lock, M Monaghan to hooker, Fensom wasn't under rated imo
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Monaghan brothers were both very underrated, especially Mick. One player we really could've done with in the 00s instead of losing so easily. As for Joel, even though it's the ESL, surprised to see that he scored a whopping 158 tries in 178 games over there - phenomenal.

TLL is also a good shout. We forget how good he was at his peak - absolute beast. If he managed to stay injury free with us he would've been in contention for our all-time best side IMO.

In time I think Jordy Raps will be considered underrated. Such a complete winger at his peak a few seasons ago but possibly without the plaudits to go with it.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That's a very ordinary attempt at a team. Being white and mediocre makes you under rated apparently.

Thompson, Bolton and Croker the only truly under rated players there IMO. Tongue was a dire hooker. Merritt ended up very over rated. Aubusson being under rated has become a bit of a meme. The halves suck etc etc
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 3, 2020, 10:41 am
Matt wrote:

Tallis would have made the same tackle on Burt or Payten as he did on Hodgson. Im surprised a guy like Blacklock also didnt suffer the same fate. Smaller outside backs arent built for the modern Origin arena. Players are too big.

Addo-Carr is one of those small, fast wingers. He can handle himself at the top level because he has game smarts. Knows how and when to use his speed. Doesn't often put himself in those positions where he gets monstered. For a small guy you rarely see him bundled into touch.
I don't think he's really that small. He'd be 6 foot and 90 kgs maybe? He's not as big as some of the others but faster and more powerful.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: April 3, 2020, 1:52 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 3, 2020, 10:41 am
Matt wrote:

I don't think he's really that small. He'd be 6 foot and 90 kgs maybe? He's not as big as some of the others but faster and more powerful.
88kgs, and 6'0", yes.

Which is the pretty similar to Luke Burt (88kgs and 5'10"), Patten (89kgs and 6'1") and Merritt (90kgs and 5'11")
Blacklock was only 83kgs, but 6'0" with those chicken legs.

No wonder Brett Hodgson was rag dolled, he was 78kgs and 5'9". WOW! I would have said similar to Burt
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: April 3, 2020, 1:50 pm That's a very ordinary attempt at a team. Being white and mediocre makes you under rated apparently.

Thompson, Bolton and Croker the only truly under rated players there IMO. Tongue was a dire hooker. Merritt ended up very over rated. Aubusson being under rated has become a bit of a meme. The halves suck etc etc
But harsh on the Chad IMO.

I dont think there is a guy on that list that doesn't belong. They were all better than club land, even if most/ all wouldnt be capable at the next level.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

As far as the Raiders go, Michael Monaghan and Michael Hodgson are right up there IMO. Colin Best was pretty handy too...a real surprise.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Galea was quite good for us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mick Hodgson did a job for us too

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: The most underrated Raiders of all time

Post by -PJ- »

Boneys on the money, I agree with boney.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We've had quite a few under rated players actually.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Good call on Galea. I’d add Withers in there for good measure. Could put on a decent whack for a smaller guy
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I always loved watching Phil Graham. Could score a long range try. I remember watching with a bunch of Eels supporters when he ran the length of the field off an intercept in what was one of the highest scoring games!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I remember a game against the Tigers at home, somewhere between '01 and '03, where Graham scored a hattrick and simply looked unstoppable. At that point I thought he could be anything, there was a lot of Brett Mullins about him and a similar sort of anticipation everytime he got the ball.

Shame he never managed to make it to rep level.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Scott Logan.
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Mark Bell and Matthew Wood were both very good as was Brandon Costin. I have vague memories of Rod Jensen's spead and evasiveness, and Jamahl Lolesi was solid and consistent through some tough times.
I agree Michael Monohan was let go far too easily, this guy could play.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

A crack at an underrated Raiders lineup, based on the posts so far

1. Mark Bell
2. Phil Graham
3. Colin Best
4. Danny Galea
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Matthew Wood
7. Lincoln Withers
8. Nigel Plum
9. Michael Monaghan
10. Scott Logan
11. Michael Hodgson
12. Joe Picker
13. Alan Tongue

14. Andrew Lomu
15. Trevor Thurling
16. Alan Rothery
17. Ben Jones
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 5, 2020, 11:00 am A crack at an underrated Raiders lineup, based on the posts so far

1. Mark Bell
2. Phil Graham
3. Colin Best
4. Danny Galea
5. Joel Monaghan
6. Matthew Wood
7. Lincoln Withers
8. Nigel Plum
9. Michael Monaghan
10. Scott Logan
11. Michael Hodgson
12. Joe Picker
13. Alan Tongue

14. Andrew Lomu
15. Trevor Thurling
16. Alan Rothery
17. Ben Jones
Was just about to post suggesting Scott Logan.

He was no flash in the pan, put in years of top notch service.

Hit hard, made yards. Played as many as Pongia and Lomax for us and honestly I've got him in the same bracket as them, just ahead of Todd. Lazo, Papa, Backo, Wiki (depending where you play him) as our top bracket.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

David Atkins.

Mark Asbock.

Darren Porter.

peter penaia.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Scott Logan
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Logan charging back from dropouts, how good to watch was he!

Edrick The Entertainer