Laurie Daley recounts how the Canberra Raiders were signed by Super League 25 years ago

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Laurie Daley recounts how the Canberra Raiders were signed by Super League 25 years ago

Post by greeneyed »

Laurie Daley

It's hard to believe that 25 years have flown by this week since the ARL-Super League war kicked off. It was the night all hell was about to break loose in rugby league and I was right in the thick of it. Everything changed when the Canberra Raiders were in Townsville to take on the Cowboys on April 1 1995.

They laid it all out for me and then cut to the chase. They offered me a seven-year deal that was worth eight or nine times what I was currently earning at the Raiders and said if I signed there and then, I could walk out with a cheque that was equivalent to the money I'd earned for the entire 1994 season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
fulivai
David Grant

Re: Laurie Daley recounts how the Canberra Raiders were signed by Super League 25 years ago

Post by fulivai »

1995 was our first trip to Townsville, we won a tight game for memory. It really is unbelievable that's 25 years ago but then again given its the same amount of time we haven't won a comp, feels like another lifetime ago.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Laurie Daley recounts how the Canberra Raiders were signed by Super League 25 years ago

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Mat Rogers goes into this in a bit of depth on the Betoota Advocate podcast. Was really good insight
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Content is a problem right now. Ink has to be spilt and pages need to filled... but Daley already gave a considerably indepth insight in his experience in his book haha