All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: Canberra Raiders offer Nick Cotric three-year deal

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:50 pm
Botman wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:46 pm We won't though. He wants to play centre and if he doesnt play there into the future, and last week, he wont be here.
Who says? I have never heard Nick Cotric say this. Oh... it’s a joke!
Botman ? Yeah he's a good joke alright.. I'd love to see Nick keep the right centre role. He is built for it
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:As i said before, i dont see any reason why a player who's repped his state and country as a winger, and has no reason to believe he can't continue to do so, would be willing to go and play for a **** club playing outside those halves, where he wont get those rep honours just to play a position that is being devalued

Unless they drastically overpay him, we'll be able to match any offer and keep the guy.

If they are wanting to drastically overpay him, we should reluctantly let him walk because you should never pay significantly over value unless it's for a transcendant spine player,
Not only the halves, but there’s no guarantee Pay will be the coach next year. His manager should be saying players typically avoid clubs with poor halves and NFI who will be coaching them
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders legend’s warning for off-contract flyer as Bulldogs circle

Canberra legend Laurie Daley has warned off-contract Raiders winger Nick Cotric to be wary of leaving to join Canterbury on big dollars, saying the pressure to perform at the battling Bulldogs is a risk.

Daley‘s advice comes as the battle for Cotric’s signature is heating up with the flyer’s agent hoping to secure a five-year deal, but Cotric wants a three year deal.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1f93682aa4
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I'm confused by this part of the article:

"However, it’s understood that Cotric is only interested in a three-year deal as rivals Canterbury circle for his signature.

The Bulldogs are willing to offer a $750,000 contract over three years, while the Raiders are happy to start negotiations around the $500,000 mark also for three seasons.

Canterbury wants to lure a top-line player like Cotric in a bid to climb off the bottom of the competition ladder, but they are unwilling to offer him a deal over three years."
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Should be "unwilling for more than 3 years".... but 750k? **** me do not match that please.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

If the dogs are offering 750k, I would let him walk. No way would I pay that for Cotric.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He'd be silly not to take that if that is what is on offer. 250k+ per year extra. He'll be 24/25 when that deal finishes. He'd have a career after them no matter how bad they are.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i agree with you fellas
I love Cotric and really hope he plays out his career with us, but that's a bit rich for my blood for an outside back, at either centre or wing
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

2.25m for three years or 1.5m for three years. As much as the Bulldogs suck, you can't turn down that kind of money. I'd be sad if he goes, but you can't begrudge him that sort of pay rise.

Also, what a stupid decision by the Bulldogs to waste that kind of money on an outside back. He won't win them more games, they should invest that money in a gun half/hooker/fullback. That kind of deal will only cripple them for years to come.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Yep. Can not begrudge him for taking the money here. We’ve gotten value out of his contracts so far but we cant be paying those kind of dollars when we have decent quality coming through in that position on far less coin.
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

$750k is crazy for a borderline rep winger.

**** me they are desperate. In saying that, it sounds like they reneged on the Bateman offer, so I'd take this report with a grain of salt.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

$750k/year is def overs for Cotric. A good club wouldn't offer that for a winger. The Dogs won't overcome their salary cap issues any time soon...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Have had a strong feeling he's going to leave for a while now.

As tough as it would be to lose a young rep player like him, a great kid and local junior, this is the circle of life when it comes to the salary cap. It's not an easy thing to say this, but when push comes to shove, it's guys like him that we have to be willing to lose. Just look at the Roosters - we all whinge about their perceived sombrero, but they're also there willing to let go out and out stars like Mitchell, Ferguson, Maloney, and RTS for the great good of the club. To another club that would seem madness.

In the past, we'd throw big money at quality players like Nick to the detriment of more vital positions. If we're pushing past what we're prepared to offer after a thorough prior analysis of his worth to us, then we're doing it wrong. It will come back to bite us, somewhere and somehow. Almost any player is replaceable and that's exactly what the most ruthless clubs have shown in the pursuit of sustained success. We cannot be any different and the system cannot be compromised for any player.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: July 8, 2020, 1:40 pm Have had a strong feeling he's going to leave for a while now.

As tough as it would be to lose a young rep player like him, a great kid and local junior, this is the circle of life when it comes to the salary cap. It's not an easy thing to say this, but when push comes to shove, it's guys like him that we have to be willing to lose. Just look at the Roosters - we all whinge about their perceived sombrero, but they're also there willing to let go out and out stars like Mitchell, Ferguson, Maloney, and RTS for the great good of the club. To another club that would seem madness.

In the past, we'd throw big money at quality players like Nick to the detriment of more vital positions. If we're pushing past what we're prepared to offer after a thorough prior analysis of his worth to us, then we're doing it wrong. It will come back to bite us, somewhere and somehow. Almost any player is replaceable and that's exactly what the most ruthless clubs have shown in the pursuit of sustained success. We cannot be any different and the system cannot be compromised for any player.
Agreed. It might be a different story if he was only playing on the wing because he was waiting for his shot at fullback but the guy is an out and out winger... not saying that wingers aren't important but those are the positions where you really want to maximise your value for money.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

If this is legit then he should definitely take it. From his perspective and age he would be crazy not to.That is seriously ridiculous overs for him.
Maybe go a bit higher than we have currently or chuck in a player option but we surely won’t even entertain matching that type of money.
Last edited by Old School Green on July 8, 2020, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Hang on - Is that Post-Covid money being offered? What about all the paycuts etc the players are in line to take?
If that's still the case, that's a huge red flag

**Edit** Did some reading, I think the 20% cut is for this year only
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 8, 2020, 1:47 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 8, 2020, 1:40 pm Have had a strong feeling he's going to leave for a while now.

Agreed. It might be a different story if he was only playing on the wing because he was waiting for his shot at fullback but the guy is an out and out winger... not saying that wingers aren't important but those are the positions where you really want to maximise your value for money.
Speaking of fullback and to look at the other side side of the 'ruthless coin' - assuming that HSS can step up into Nick's position, we need to use that money to upgrade on CNK (as much as a lot of people on here don't want to hear that).

If we can then can then shift CNK to right centre on his wage and offload Scott somehow, we probably come out of this better off financially and quality wise in the medium term. That's a judo move right there.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Agree with what appears to be the previous consensus.

No one will begrudge Nick taking a huge pay rise and leaving, and no one in their right mind would anticipate that he would leave his home town and a club which is at worst highly competitive, for a basket case like the Bulldogs on similar money.

Raiders will, as has been their wont over the last couple of years, do the right thing here and not be held to ransom.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on July 8, 2020, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: July 8, 2020, 2:00 pm
Speaking of fullback and to look at the other side side of the 'ruthless coin' - assuming that HSS can step up into Nick's position, we need to use that money to upgrade on CNK (as much as a lot of people on here don't want to hear that).

If we can then can then shift CNK to right centre on his wage and offload Scott somehow, we probably come out of this better off financially and quality wise in the medium term. That's a judo move right there.
If the club wanted to offload Scott I don't think it would be overly difficult. Surely another club would be willing to take him on at around the $350k/year mark which would result in us having to fork out $150k/year of his salary. It's not the worst outcome.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If that is a real offer Don should drive Cotric to Belmore before the borders close again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Just want to check I'm reading this correctly. Bulldogs are offering $750k per year for 3 years?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2020, 3:09 pm Just want to check I'm reading this correctly. Bulldogs are offering $750k per year for 3 years?
Seems to be the only way to read it, as $750,000 over three years, as $250,000 is about half his probable market value at most clubs.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Ridiculous offer if true...
Bulldogs will be in cap Purgatory for a very long time throwing wads of cash on non spine players...
Good luck to him if he takes it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 8, 2020, 3:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2020, 3:09 pm Just want to check I'm reading this correctly. Bulldogs are offering $750k per year for 3 years?
Seems to be the only way to read it, as $750,000 over three years, as $250,000 is about half his probable market value at most clubs.
If that's the case I won't begrudge Cotric accepting that sort of deal. I also won't criticise the Raiders for not coming close to it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders offer Nick Cotric three-year deal

Post by LastRaider »

Did Dean Pay have a big influence on him whilst at Canberra? Maybe it’s not just money either, Cotric might be wanting a coach change as well as the intensity levels between Dean and Ricky would be quite different
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 8, 2020, 3:50 pm Did Dean Pay have a big influence on him whilst at Canberra? Maybe it’s not just money either, Cotric might be wanting a coach change as well as the intensity levels between Dean and Ricky would be quite different
Will Dean Pay be coaching the Dogs next year?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And even if he is, which would probably be an upset at this point, he will have survived by the skin on his teeth, if results dont come (and spoiler alert, they wont spending that kind of money on outside backs given that spine) how long into 2022 will he last?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Given the Dogs were reported to offer Bateman $2m over 3 years (let's say slightly less than $700k per season), I'm still in shock over what Cotric is reported to have been offered.

Dean Pay is just putting together a St George or Gold Coast style cap mess for the next bloke to sort out.

In saying that...how about the $750 MILLION for Patrick Mahomes! :shock: Now there's a gutsy contract.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: July 8, 2020, 4:43 pm Given the Dogs were reported to offer Bateman $2m over 3 years (let's say slightly less than $700k per season), I'm still in shock over what Cotric is reported to have been offered.

Dean Pay is just putting together a St George or Gold Coast style cap mess for the next bloke to sort out.

In saying that...how about the $750 MILLION for Patrick Mahomes! :shock: Now there's a gutsy contract.
Mahomes playing wing or centre?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nothing gutsy about that Mahomes deal
This is a guy just finished his 2nd year as a starter who’s already a sb mvp, league mvp and almost broke the season passing td record

If he sees that deal out as it is today, within 6 years of that deal his yearly average will be considered a bargain

(Also it won’t, that deal will be re-done 3-4 times in the 12 years to convert existing money into gtd money and prorate that’s over the length of the deal to create cap space... side note, the nfl salary cap is extremely complicated and interesting)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: July 8, 2020, 5:24 pm Nothing gutsy about that Mahomes deal
This is a guy just finished his 2nd year as a starter who’s already a sb mvp, league mvp and almost broke the season passing td record

If he sees that deal out as it is today, within 6 years of that deal his yearly average will be considered a bargain

(Also it won’t, that deal will be re-done 3-4 times in the 12 years to convert existing money into gtd money and prorate that’s over the length of the deal to create cap space... side note, the nfl salary cap is extremely complicated and interesting)
What happens if he blows out his knee next season, can they write it off the books?

I thought the NFL cap is around $200m. Haven't they just handed a third of that to one player? In a squad of 53. Seems like a slightly risky move to me. :lol:

Dunno, I guess any long term deal for young players are a calculated risk. Especially when you need to retain a functional team around them.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on July 8, 2020, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

zim wrote: July 8, 2020, 12:56 pm Should be "unwilling for more than 3 years".... but 750k? **** me do not match that please.
Seems a strange line then, considering it also says Cotric is only looking for a three year deal.

So Cotric wants 3 years, Bulldogs and Raiders have offered three years, Bulldogs won't offer more than 3 years. That's great, because he's not asking more more than 3.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 8, 2020, 5:28 pm
Botman wrote: July 8, 2020, 5:24 pm Nothing gutsy about that Mahomes deal

What happens if he blows out his knee next season, can they write it off the books?

I thought the NFL cap is around $200m. Haven't they just handed a third of that to one player? In a squad of 53. Seems like a slightly risky move to me. :lol:

Dunno, I guess any long term deal for young players are a calculated risk. Especially when you need to retain a functional team around them.
Ahh that’s the joy of nfl contracts
Of the reported 500m usd reported in the deal, only 140mil of it is guaranteed for injury

So if he blows out his knee tomorrow at training and has to have his leg cut off, they’re only on the hook for 140m
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote: July 8, 2020, 5:30 pm
zim wrote: July 8, 2020, 12:56 pm Should be "unwilling for more than 3 years".... but 750k? **** me do not match that please.
Seems a strange line then, considering it also says Cotric is only looking for a three year deal.

So Cotric wants 3 years, Bulldogs and Raiders have offered three years, Bulldogs won't offer more than 3 years. That's great, because he's not asking more more than 3.
Seems straightforward, but it's not quite that simple.

I believe the sticking point is that he would actually have to play for the Bulldogs for 3 years.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

But his manager is. It's quite odd. Manager wants 5 so it runs past his contract with nick