Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Cotric signs with Bulldogs on $2 million three year deal

Post by Northern Raider »

bleedgreen99 wrote: July 24, 2020, 9:11 am
boomer wrote: July 24, 2020, 8:50 am
bleedgreen99 wrote: July 24, 2020, 8:19 am Something fishy going on at the club. Bateman bails now cotric, both easily in the top tier of raiders players right now. Cotric is the best FB on the books and obvs isn't happy about being stuck out on a wing. I always thought he must be ok with it for rep reasons but clearly not. And if you swap klock with cotric you get basically the same winger but a better FB. It's a no brainer yet the club chooses to play these mind games with it's best young players. This culture is killing the clubs momentum and has been since carney. I'm dead tired of watching the club waste their best young talent
None of what you just said is true.
Classic baby boomer attitude... "you're wrong but I'm not gonna tell you why". You must be on the staff or something?
If you need it explaining.

1. Bateman left because he thought he was worth more money. Tested the market and found out he wasn't worth more money. Ultimately he's decided to head home so he can play footy AND be with his family, which has been even more problematic with global travel restrictions.

2. Don't over think the reason around Cotric leaving. He's going for an extra $400k over 3 years. He is not going from a premiership contender to the wooden spooner for some kind of opportunity.

3. Cotric is not a Fullback. Plenty here (inluding me) wanted to see him have a shot at it. He did get a crack last year when CNK was out. The main thing we learned from that was that Cotric ISN'T a Fullback.

4. Regarding the club playing mind games with young players. I can't respond because there's no evidence of these mind games. Provide examples (other than the false perceptions above) and I may be able to explain why it's wrong.

5. As for the club's culture and momentum being killed since Carney left. That obivously doesn't account for our preliminary final appearance in 2016 and Grand Final last year. Culture and momentum in recent years is the best it's been since we made the mistake of letting guys like Carney, Dugan run amok purely because they were talented juniors.

In summary I'm sorry you still feel that way Todd. Maybe its time to move on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I was pretty keen to try Cotric out at fullback a few years ago, and others said it at the time and they were absolutely right. His lack of sudden agility, speed and ball playing makes for a bad fullback. He's a power power, he's a great winger... might be a great centre, but fullbacck ain't it.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I was wondering if I'd gone completely loop-the-loop and was imagining that time we put Cotric in at fullback and he wasn't great. Good to see others remember that, too.

It's sorta like putting Cotric in at centre. Didn't set the world on fire there, either.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
boomer
David Shillington

Post by boomer »

Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2020, 10:21 am
bleedgreen99 wrote: July 24, 2020, 8:19 am Something fishy going on at the club. Bateman bails now cotric, both easily in the top tier of raiders players right now. Cotric is the best FB on the books and obvs isn't happy about being stuck out on a wing. I always thought he must be ok with it for rep reasons but clearly not. And if you swap klock with cotric you get basically the same winger but a better FB. It's a no brainer yet the club chooses to play these mind games with it's best young players. This culture is killing the clubs momentum and has been since carney. I'm dead tired of watching the club waste their best young talent
Classic baby boomer attitude... "you're wrong but I'm not gonna tell you why". You must be on the staff or something?

1. Bateman left because he thought he was worth more money. Tested the market and found out he wasn't worth more money. Ultimately he's decided to head home so he can play footy AND be with his family, which has been even more problematic with global travel restrictions.

2. Don't over think the reason around Cotric leaving. He's going for an extra $400k over 3 years. He is not going from a premiership contender to the wooden spooner for some kind of opportunity.

3. Cotric is not a Fullback. Plenty here (inluding me) wanted to see him have a shot at it. He did get a crack last year when CNK was out. The main thing we learned from that was that Cotric ISN'T a Fullback.

4. Regarding the club playing mind games with young players. I can't respond because there's no evidence of these mind games. Provide examples (other than the false perceptions above) and I may be able to explain why it's wrong.

5. As for the club's culture and momentum being killed since Carney left. That obivously doesn't account for our preliminary final appearance in 2016 and Grand Final last year. Culture and momentum in recent years is the best it's been since we made the mistake of letting guys like Carney, Dugan run amok purely because they were talented juniors.

Thank you for all that. I really couldn't be bothered writing that. :thumbsup
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: July 24, 2020, 10:25 am I was wondering if I'd gone completely loop-the-loop and was imagining that time we put Cotric in at fullback and he wasn't great. Good to see others remember that, too.

It's sorta like putting Cotric in at centre. Didn't set the world on fire there, either.
That's the crux of it for me. Always thought Cotric could offer more closer in (i.e. centre or fullback). He did get a go there the quality of his output was below what he's done on the wing. Longer term he might develop into a good centre. Not yet though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: July 24, 2020, 10:22 am I was pretty keen to try Cotric out at fullback a few years ago, and others said it at the time and they were absolutely right. His lack of sudden agility, speed and ball playing makes for a bad fullback. He's a power power, he's a great winger... might be a great centre, but fullbacck ain't it.
yea i was always skeptical of cotric at fullback, not many modern day fullbacks are built like nick, Inglis is probably the closest and he was a better centre than FB.
Cotric is a big explosive power player as you say, he'll likely be even bigger in 2-3 years time, i think the extra work/running would force him to either trim down or struggle in the position of fullback and i don't think you really want a trimmed down nick cotric, his size is an advantage in the outside backs, he's a good winger and i reckon he could be a very good centre imo
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

1. Fair point. Didn't think about the current climate and how hard it'd be to be away from kids/family. Reason enough to go home...
4. I don't have any evidence other than the carney situation seemed odd at the time, then the dugan/fergo incidents, also very odd. Looking back, were there mind games going on that influenced their behaviour. With all these incidents what was the common denominator? Different people yet same results...
5. The overall culture has improved no doubt, what i was referring to in particular was the attitude towards young stars, to not give them what they want.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether he's a FB or not. IMO he has all the tools to be an outstanding 1 and that's where the dogs will play him - they're just saying centre so other teams don't prepare for him at the back
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bleedgreen99 wrote: July 24, 2020, 11:24 am

1. Fair point. Didn't think about the current climate and how hard it'd be to be away from kids/family. Reason enough to go home...
4. I don't have any evidence other than the carney situation seemed odd at the time, then the dugan/fergo incidents, also very odd. Looking back, were there mind games going on that influenced their behaviour. With all these incidents what was the common denominator? Different people yet same results...
5. The overall culture has improved no doubt, what i was referring to in particular was the attitude towards young stars, to not give them what they want.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether he's a FB or not. IMO he has all the tools to be an outstanding 1 and that's where the dogs will play him - they're just saying centre so other teams don't prepare for him at the back
Carney was a loose unit, mostly on the turps and had a long rap sheet before he got punted. It was one indiscretion too many. He then went on and got punted from the Roosters and Sharks for other issues. If we're going to criticise the club it would be for not doing something sooner.

Yes, the Dugan incident was was weird and we've seen since then that it's pretty much all on Dugan. Again the club could be guilty of letting him get away with his self centred attitude too long.

On the original topic of Cotric at fullback, I used to have the same opinion as you. Since seeing him at fullback it became apparent he does not have all the tools. In ranking the potential fullbacks on our roster we've seen CNK, Wighton, Simonssen and Rapana all perform better in the position than Cotric did. I didn't see Oldfield play there in the trial but he's yet another option that could be ahead of him. If the Dogs want to try him there then it's worth a shot. Both Meaney and DWZ have shown they're better wingers than fullbacks. Neither is great at the back and they continue to alternate there. While Cotric could fill that role for them, on exposed form he's not going to provide a much needed upgrade for their spine.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Yeah...Nah
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I never really saw Cotric as a fullback, or a centre to be honest. I don't think he has the passing game or the aerial ability.

When he's switched on he's a rep quality winger though. One of the few who can physically deal with the big units out there, but also has the speed to create his own space.

It will be interesting to see what the Bulldogs do with him. They signed a rep winger to premium dollars in the hope of turning him into something else. Big gamble.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on July 27, 2020, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

**** is going on here? Did Friday beers start at lunchtime? Good grief
boomer
David Shillington

Post by boomer »

KingDynamite wrote: July 24, 2020, 6:12 pm **** is going on here? Did Friday beers start at lunchtime? Good grief
:lol:
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Not happy about losing him and posted my concerns that we would well before the Bulldogs offer was made known.

My concerns were based on where we were playing him.

I think the offer we made him was a very good one for a winger but I think someone of his ability was never going to stay in that position long-term.

I don't like seeing talent we produce ourselves playing for other clubs. When there are behavioural issues involved (Dugal and Carney), it's understandable. I can also understand blokes who are originally from elsewhere wanting to move on even if we've played an integral role in their development (Milford and TPJ). Can't say I like seeing someone like TPJ in another team's jersey, even to this day. A bloke who runs that many laps of Charnwood oval should be playing for us.

In Cotric's case there were no behavioural issues involved and he's not from somewhere else originally.

I think he was a class above any of our other outside backs and has considerably more long-term potential.

He was a keeper, imo, and should have been given more opportunities in other positions to demonstrate what he could do.

Watching CNK fail to execute a 3 on 1 against the Roosters last Thursday night should tell you there's room for improvement in some of those positions.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It’s a shame to lose Cotric, I live watching him play but he’s probably going to the club with the worst current salary cap management of any team.

They are desperate and this decision could easily come back to bite them.

The club clearly have big wraps on some of the younger players who can come into those positions and no doubt that played a part in the decision making.

It’s been impossible to fault our recruitment and retention decisions over the past few years so I’m confident the club has got it right this time as well.

For cotric this contract sets him up for life if he’s smart about it. That’s potentially a big trade off for the chance to win a premiership but I can’t honestly say if I would have made a different decision at his age.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2020, 11:58 am

Carney was a loose unit, mostly on the turps and had a long rap sheet before he got punted. It was one indiscretion too many. He then went on and got punted from the Roosters and Sharks for other issues. If we're going to criticise the club it would be for not doing something sooner.

Yes, the Dugan incident was was weird and we've seen since then that it's pretty much all on Dugan. Again the club could be guilty of letting him get away with his self centred attitude too long.

On the original topic of Cotric at fullback, I used to have the same opinion as you. Since seeing him at fullback it became apparent he does not have all the tools. In ranking the potential fullbacks on our roster we've seen CNK, Wighton, Simonssen and Rapana all perform better in the position than Cotric did. I didn't see Oldfield play there in the trial but he's yet another option that could be ahead of him. If the Dogs want to try him there then it's worth a shot. Both Meaney and DWZ have shown they're better wingers than fullbacks. Neither is great at the back and they continue to alternate there. While Cotric could fill that role for them, on exposed form he's not going to provide a much needed upgrade for their spine.
Hmmm can you think of any other outstanding juniors that sucked at their first crack in the spine but is now the main threat?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bleedgreen99 wrote: July 25, 2020, 8:20 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2020, 11:58 am

Hmmm can you think of any other outstanding juniors that sucked at their first crack in the spine but is now the main threat?
If you're referring to Wighton he actually did a decent job at fullback in his first go. He also had the ball skills for the job. I did not see the same traits in Cotric. If you do then that's fine. We obviously see things differently.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think he’s referring to Wighton failing initially at 5/8th.

Which is a fair point. Cotric shouldn’t be a write off for fullback based on a few games a decent time ago. Having said that, you take gambles like that when you need to. It’s lunacy thinking of moving CNK currently, and it’s surprised me how some generally sensible people have thrown that out there.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: July 25, 2020, 9:16 am I think he’s referring to Wighton failing initially at 5/8th.

Which is a fair point. Cotric shouldn’t be a write off for fullback based on a few games a decent time ago. Having said that, you take gambles like that when you need to. It’s lunacy thinking of moving CNK currently, and it’s surprised me how some generally sensible people have thrown that out there.
Wighton failed on execution more so than capability when he first moved to 5/8. He worked on it an ended up being successful in his second stint, which was his 8th year in the NRL. Regardless the Wighton scenario does nothing to support the claim that Cotric is the best fullback on our roster. If we did want to draw the parallel then we can expect Cotric to achieve that status by 2024. The same time his contract ends at the Dogs. ;)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Jack failed in his first stint at 5/8th because he was trying to play more like a traditional halfback. He was confusing himself and overthinking. It's not his game.

He's now playing a lot more to his strengths, which is running. His ball playing has developed, especially during the time he played fullback, but he is very much a running half.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: July 25, 2020, 10:43 am Jack failed in his first stint at 5/8th because he was trying to play more like a traditional halfback. He was confusing himself and overthinking. It's not his game.

He's now playing a lot more to his strengths, which is running. His ball playing has developed, especially during the time he played fullback, but he is very much a running half.
Agree with that and also has no relationship to Cotric at fullback
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was one who supported testing Cotric at fullback, as I’d seen him have great effect in that position I Junior grades. But he doesn’t have the ball playing game needed there in the NRL, not at the moment. He hadn’t trained physically for the role either... both could change I guess, but I’m not sure his body type suits.

We also saw him at centre last year, and he was ineffective in the role. It coincided with him having his worst season to date statistically. And on the eye test. He’s far more dangerous on the wing, he suits taking the early ball forward and making tackle busts. There are better "finishing" wingers in the NRL, and ones with more speed. It really hurts me to see a local junior leave, but the club was right to put a limit on the value of the contract.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm disappointed to see Cotric go. He took a bigger off to play at a weaker club.

Not many go to a lesser club and improve as players. He'll be lucky to consolidate his rep wing spot too.

We have some youth developing nicely in the wing position, but this is still a loss for us.

Ricky and Don are managing our cap nicely, and just like we let Paulo and Boyd go and didn't submit to Batemans ludicrous demands we press on.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Putting $10 on raiders to win 1-12, Cotric for 2 tries or more, papa to score anytime and Johnston to score for wabbits. Expecting a big game from Cotric now the word is finally out that he is leaving.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Is it not strange for the Raiders to not make a statement on it with quote from Nick saying he is focused for the rest of the year yadda yadda?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Cotric could have been the richest guy in Tuggeranong.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Butters wrote: July 25, 2020, 12:16 pm Is it not strange for the Raiders to not make a statement on it with quote from Nick saying he is focused for the rest of the year yadda yadda?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah i was thinking the same thing
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Wait till the end of the season - bye and good luck......
Why put up a statement up now - it is not necessary to state 'focused yada yada' this would be stating the bleeding obvious and be redundant.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he's said nothing the whole time why start now

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Humorously he played both centre and fullback last night!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!