Cotric signs with Bulldogs on $2 million three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Cotric set to head to Bulldogs on three year deal worth $650,000 a season

Post by Beejay »

Real shame to lose Cotric, but I think the club played this one well.

The whole thing that Stuart said about him having every chance to stay if he wanted to and that we've now pulled the offer and have moved on, sends a strong message to other players in our squad.
If other teams are going to offer ridiculous contracts then you just have to let them go.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Cotric set to head to Bulldogs on three year deal worth $650,000 a season

Post by LastRaider »

So next year at the moment we will have the weakest backline in the NRL. We can barely score points now, god help us next year

Cotric is a moral for dally m centre of the year in 2021. (No one else capable of scoring dally m points at the dogs)
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

LastRaider wrote: July 22, 2020, 11:38 am So next year at the moment we will have the weakest backline in the NRL. We can barely score points now, god help us next year

Cotric is a moral for dally m centre of the year in 2021. (No one else capable of scoring dally m points at the dogs)
we will be fine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: July 22, 2020, 11:38 am Cotric is a moral for dally m centre of the year in 2021. (No one else capable of scoring dally m points at the dogs)
Not a snowballs chance in hell unless the Dogs make SIGNIFICANT upgrades at fullback and the half on his side of the field
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Cotric signs with Bulldogs on $2 million three year deal

Post by Mercury »

Cotric has shown where he really wanted to go (rorters).
Dogs were a reluctant compromise on his part - it was the money.
If the dogs don't massively improve and go deep into finals in the next 1 (possibly 2) years he will bail.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

LastRaider wrote:So next year at the moment we will have the weakest backline in the NRL. We can barely score points now, god help us next year

:lol:
You have to win games to get dally m points.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some weird assertions being made here.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Seiffert82 wrote:Some weird assertions being made here.
Agreed. Let's not all pile on him now.

A club offered him an extra $450k over three years - he went. He's a bloody good winger - great finisher and we all wish he stayed at the club for 500k a year.

I'll be cheering on Nick's career.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 10:22 am Furner's role shouldn't be forgotten in this - he screwed big time by allowing that written in.

My hope that he will be replaced by someone to take this club to the next level from an admin point of view is slowly fading. He looks to be here for life.
Classic agenda driven nonsense.

When this first blew up in the Grand Final week, Channel 7 reported that Bateman was contracted on $400k per season, with a contract clause to renegotiate at the end of each year based on performance. We obviously also had to pay Wigan a $360k transfer deal to seal his release.

On face value that's an absolute steal for the club when he became the second rower of the year and helped us make a Grand Final.

In the meantime Bateman changes managers and agitates for a significant pay rise.

True to the contract clause, Bateman and Furner negotiate a pay rise to $580k for 2020. This all seems reasonable to me.

Then Bateman agitates a bung shoulder playing test football and also demands a release to cash in on his fame. So far he has got his pay rise from the club and has played zero games for us this season.

What part of that outcome is on Furner's head? The original deal of $400k per season was a fantastic one for the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So much for the “report” of a back flip...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2020, 12:37 pm Some weird assertions being made here.
Fandom is a disease.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Cotric will have plenty of time during the final series to come to count his extra money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Very sad :( Best of luck to him though.

Will remember his debut season as probably the best winger debut season I have ever seen. Also ironically the same year which was one of the most (if not the most) disappointing seasons ever after our success in 2016..
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

pacman wrote: July 22, 2020, 2:00 pm Very sad :( Best of luck to him though.

Will remember his debut season as probably the best winger debut season I have ever seen. Also ironically the same year which was one of the most (if not the most) disappointing seasons ever after our success in 2016..
He was no Jack Elsegood IMHO.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

LastRaider wrote: July 22, 2020, 11:38 am So next year at the moment we will have the weakest backline in the NRL. We can barely score points now, god help us next year

Your assuming the Dogs figure out ways of getting the ball to him with their patchwork halves options.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 22, 2020, 2:46 pm

He was no Jack Elsegood IMHO.
:lol: Truth
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yep.

He was great that year and very good every other year. It was fun to watch him grow into an Origin and 'Roos player. Never put a foot wrong on or off the field.

He got offered a 30% pay rise. Plenty of people would jump at that if their current employer couldn't come near it. Good luck to him, I'll still barrack for him to succeed.

Disclaimer: I was Nic's PE teacher in Year 10, he was a good egg even back then, humble, friendly, treated others well- when it would be easy to have gone the other way at that age with that size and talent.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah good on him. Hard to begrudge the guy for taking massive overs at the end of his contract to set himself up.

I'm also kinda happy it took an extra $150k per season for the Dogs to get him. That's a huge premium.

I expect him to have a solid end to the season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2020, 12:49 pm What part of that outcome is on Furner's head?
The part where he was contractually able to agitate for a bump up every season, opening up the possibly of the player trying to hold the club to ransom, creating instability with the squad, and inadvertently derailing the side.

It was a dumb clause and should be called out as such. He's the CEO, he is responsible.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 4:34 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2020, 12:49 pm What part of that outcome is on Furner's head?
The part where he was contractually able to agitate for a bump up every season, opening up the possibly of the player trying to hold the club to ransom, creating instability with the squad, and inadvertently derailing the side.

It was a dumb clause and should be called out as such. He's the CEO, he is responsible.
If the original (incredible) contract value was as reported then, clause or no clause, Bateman would clearly have still pushed for an increase or release. Surely you understand that.

The clause was designed to keep that negotiation in-house, but Bateman changed managers and turned it into a **** circus.

Now he's heading back to Wigan on less money than he's on here, after the club granted him a release from the final year of his contract.

Again, I'm not sure what Furner has ultimately done wrong here? Granted the player a release to return home? The clause to renegotiate his salary with the club ultimately didn't make a damn difference, other than keeping him properly paid in 2020.

This **** storm was created by Bateman, not Furner or the clause.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on July 22, 2020, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2020, 4:40 pm

Again, I'm not sure what Furner has ultimately done wrong here?
Allowed the provision of that clause in his contract. Surely you understand that?

There's no agenda mate. If Furner manages to seal CHN, I'll congratulate him for a job well done on redeeming himself after this.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 4:45 pm

Allowed the provision of that clause in his contract. Surely you understand that?

There's no agenda mate. If Furner manages to seal CHN, I'll congratulate him for a job well done on redeeming himself after this.
Explain to me what the clause has done. Allowed Bateman to ask for a release? Made him go home? What's with the clause?

You've had an agenda for years. You just want to blame Furner for the behaviour of Bateman and his new manager.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Should I do it? Hmmm. Dunno - do I need permission or something?

Nah **** it, who cares.

Here it is: good grief.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote:

I'd say your avatar says there is a massive agenda.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Furner didn’t allow any provision
His role in this stuff is a sounding board for Stuart and Mulholland and to formalise agreements reached.

If the clause was in there, it’s because Stuart and co approved of it. Simple as that. Anyone who thinks Ricky Stuart is leaving things like this which impact his ability to build a squad to Furner hasn’t paid attention to Stuart’s coaching career

If there are options or clauses in contracts that allow for players to renegotiate or leave, there is no way that’s being done without Stuart’s nod of approval
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 4:55 pm Should I do it? Hmmm. Dunno - do I need permission or something?

Nah **** it, who cares.

:lol: solid. Just as I expected.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

afgntk is a very black and white person, then he drives his arguments hard to whichever way he sees the world to the point where he becomes wrong.

A pity he drives his otherwise good brain in such a fashion.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 4:55 pm Should I do it? Hmmm. Dunno - do I need permission or something?

Nah **** it, who cares.

Now now champ let's not turn this into something it doesn't need to be...champ
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

There is no chance in hell Stuart has the last say/final approval in the ins and outs of contracts. Sure, Furner most probably wouldn't tell him what player to sign and who not to sign. When it comes to money though and resource allocation throughout the organisation, Furner is his boss, he isn't Furner's. If we at any stage develop significant cap issues, it's Furner ass on the line.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: July 22, 2020, 5:01 pm Furner didn’t allow any provision
His role in this stuff is a sounding board for Stuart and Mulholland and to formalise agreements reached.

If the clause was in there, it’s because Stuart and co approved of it. Simple as that. Anyone who thinks Ricky Stuart is leaving things like this which impact his ability to build a squad to Furner hasn’t paid attention to Stuart’s coaching career

If there are options or clauses in contracts that allow for players to renegotiate or leave, there is no way that’s being done without Stuart’s nod of approval
Ultimately it was a clause that provided for an open and honest performance conversation between the club and player at the end of each year.

Nothing about the way this played out had anything to do with the clause. Bateman clearly wanted to double his $400k deal. When the club wasn't going anywhere near his demands, he ultimately requested a release and ended up going home.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

:?:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 5:06 pm There is no chance in hell Stuart has the last say/final approval in the ins and outs of contracts. Sure, Furner most probably wouldn't tell him what player to sign and who not to sign. When it comes to money though and resource allocation throughout the organisation, Furner is his boss, he isn't Furner's. If we at any stage develop significant cap issues, it's Furner ass on the line.
Clauses that allow a player to renegotiate impact directly on Stuart’s ability to recruit players like CHN

You’ve lost your mind if you think
A) Stuart is letting anyone but himself make calls on things the impact his squad so dramatically

B) that Stuart answers to Furner.

You’ve got the power balance all wrong. And as far as football operations go, this is Stuart’s club and he answers to no one bar Bonehead and his cronies.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Nah **** it, who cares.

I'll allow it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Looks to me like the delay in this was probably to time it up with the release of CHN, softens the blow a bit
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: July 22, 2020, 5:19 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2020, 5:06 pm There is no chance in hell Stuart has the last say/final approval in the ins and outs of contracts. Sure, Furner most probably wouldn't tell him what player to sign and who not to sign. When it comes to money though and resource allocation throughout the organisation, Furner is his boss, he isn't Furner's. If we at any stage develop significant cap issues, it's Furner ass on the line.
Clauses that allow a player to renegotiate impact directly on Stuart’s ability to recruit players like CHN

You’ve lost your mind if you think
A) Stuart is letting anyone but himself make calls on things the impact his squad so dramatically

B) that Stuart answers to Furner.

You’ve got the power balance all wrong. And as far as football operations go, this is Stuart’s club and he answers to no one bar Bonehead and his cronies.
He's only recruiting CHN because there's a clause written into his predecessors contract allowing him to leave.

Unless I'm massively wrong, we aren't different to any other sporting organisation. The CEO and Board control the money and its expenditure because if we go tits up, they're the ones that have to answer.

The CEO, the guy ultimately responsible for player wages and the salary cap from a management perspective, tells the coach/recruiting people we've got X amount of money to work with this year, next year, year after to spend on players. It's all projected.

Coach and recruitment determine who they need and prioritise according to the constraints of the budget laid out for them. They give the list of names to the CEO, and (I assume) they all together work at different levels to try lure players in. CEO doesn't tell them who to sign, but tells them who we can and can't afford. As for stipulations in the contracts, all the legal mumbo jumbo, all the different clauses you can put in it, potential bonuses that can be triggered at different stages - there is not one single chance Stuart oversees that. A coach isn't responsible for it. I'm sure he has SOME say. Fair to assume that his level of influence is above that of a regular NRL coach, but he would not be outcalling the CEO when it comes to money. That's quite literally the main job of any CEO.

As for the power balance - Ricky Stuart cannot get Don Furner sacked through his own directive, even if he approaches the board. Although Furner can't sack Stuart by himself, he can certainly take it to the board for their approval. If you remember, it's our CEO who nominated our coach to the board to take the job from his brother, who he personally had to inform that he was gone; it doesn't happen the other way around.