Cotric signs with Bulldogs on $2 million three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ezy
Brett Mullins

Re: Cotric set to head to Bulldogs on three year deal worth $650,000 a season

Post by Ezy »

Pretty sure the club had one eye on HSS throughout this negotiation.

Very sad to lose Cotric, but if the figures reported are true then good luck to him, and well done Raiders for holding the line.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I cannot fathom this. This is absolute career suicide.

He’ll be catching cold watching Cogger and Lewis fumble about, lose his test and origin jerseys and his next contract will be worth 50% of this one.

Incredibly short sighted of Nick.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Ezy wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:14 pm Pretty sure the club had one eye on HSS throughout this negotiation.

Very sad to lose Cotric, but if the figures reported are true then good luck to him, and well done Raiders for holding the line.
We have really become a club who draws the line and doesn't take **** from anybody, thanks largely to the great man Ricky Stuart. Before he came to the club we were the pushovers of the NRL.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Timbo wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:16 pm I cannot fathom this. This is absolute career suicide.

He’ll be catching cold watching Cogger and Lewis fumble about, lose his test and origin jerseys and his next contract will be worth 50% of this one.

Incredibly short sighted of Nick.
Couldn't agree more.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Good to see the club not bend over to keep players on overs anymore

For how good he is, our deal was more than fair.. the dogs have paid massive overs and he will go there to rot basically

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Is Harley smith shields ready for the step up?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Tom T and Jake T rejected 2 million package deal from Bulldogs, Fifita and Bateman rejected them (albeit location was an issue but press did report Bateman's concerns regarding joining a rebuilding and struggling club), Corey Oates rejected them in 2018 https://www.qt.com.au/news/broncos-star ... c/3481128/ - smart moves

Good luck to Nic. Disappointed but those who think he is going to a better place are wrong. They will continue to struggle for the next few years. Barrett is not a proven established NRL coach (he is a good attacking assistant), they don't even have a sponsor, the spine is the worst in the NRL, politics are rife with all the factions and there are cultural issues with what happened earlier this year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who said Nicks gone ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly offer Nick Cotric five-year deal

Post by sprintman »

GMGT wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:07 pm
sprintman wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:50 pm
LastRaider wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:02 pm I don’t see the dogs as bad move as everyone thinks. New coach for 2021, $3m war chest to buy talent.

Raiders now have a declining roster, we are losing talent left, right and centre. It’s not as bad a move as every thinks
My thoughts exactly.
Losing talent left, right and centre? You mean by losing one forward and one back? It must be doomsday!! That has never happened at any club, in the history of the nrl, ever.
No, on the part that says moving to the Dogs isn’t as bad as some are saying.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Terrible contract for the Dogs. Definitely happy for him to walk on that type of coin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Love4Noa wrote: July 17, 2020, 2:52 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2020, 2:27 pm
Leebola wrote: July 17, 2020, 2:02 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:56 pm Very disappointing, hate to lose a local Canberra junior. The Raiders are doing the right thing, making sure that we don't tie up too much cash in positions like wing or centre these days. It is what successful clubs do. I also don't think his form warrants that sort of money. He was truly outstanding in his first season, and he probably deserved representative selection back then... but when he was actually selected it was his worst season so far. That's not to say he's not still a very good player. It is certainly a big blow to lose a local junior like this and would have liked to have kept him. There is something seriously wrong with the salary cap arrangements, it should not be producing a situation which sees junior development penalised like this.
Totally agree, but the argument against it was that it giving dispensation for junior development disadvantages clubs that don't have the juniors base, like the Roosters...

The NRL is the dictionary definition of short-sighted.
Haha so true. Can't possibly do something that disadvantages clubs that don't contribute to developing junior talent.
Hardly penalised..he was offered half a million based on potential, and decided 650 was what he wanted. That's outrageous money from both parties based on his recent contributions.
I meant the club has been penalised.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

GMGT wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:15 pm
yeh raiders wrote: July 17, 2020, 12:59 pm With no BJ, no Cotric, an ageing Rapana... we are very thin on metre gainers coming out of our own half.

CNK does it ok, Croker doesn’t do it often because it’s not his strength, Curtis Scott currently stinks... who is left?

Any thoughts of making a play at Semi Radradra?
Always been a huge fan of the semi trailer. I wouldn't sign him now though I think he's about 32 years old. Who I would signing though, Sivo from parra, He is semi 2.0.

I would also be signing kikau from the Panthers. Add those 2 to our roster and we will be potentially have a better team that what we do now. At least on par.
While we're at it we should look at that fullback at easts. Don't the cowboys have a 13 that goes alright?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raidersteve wrote:
LastRaider wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:08 pm Letting go of BJ (and paying freight), losing Bateman and Cotric is a complete **** up by the recruiting department. Our gain so far is a half hearted centre who is NSW cup standard!

Unbelievable
Given that we don't lose either Bateman and Cotric until next year it's premature to make a judgement on the recruitment department until we know what they do with the money they set aside for those two players.
Nope it’s a **** up.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I applaud the club for taking a stand and only offering Cotric for what he is worth.

However part of me thinks it could be a lot more legitimate had we not wasted money on Scott. It's criminal Scott is on 500k (even if 300k of it is from Melbourne). You wonder if we used 50k of that money for Cotric and then rely on Valemei, Oldfield and HSS as back ups, you'd have to think we are better off. Cotric is an Australian and NSW representative after all.

Bit concerned that our team is becoming a team of workhorses (Croker, CNK and Luis) and losing a lot of flair (Leilua, Bateman and Cotric).

We have to go to the market. No doubt. Haven't we been linked with Oliver Gildart before? How does he go?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Cotric has played it very smart here. Obviously money is his major motivator. Not only is getting a good deal more but that bumps up even more on a per game basis, as he won't be playing in September for 3 years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's not a **** up at all. It's the result of competing in a market where certain clubs are throwing way overs at players.

It's like the $$ thrown at Boyd to go to the Titans. We should never be trying to compete with that nonsense.

Good on Cotric for cashing in. I thought he'd stay, but now it appears the offer was $150k per season extra, his decision is entirely understandable.

Now with the money offered to Bateman and Cotric to stay, we have around $1.2 million available to hit the market. Hopefully we can jag CHN for around $400-450 which should put us in a reasonably good position.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

GMGT wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:13 pm
GreenMachine wrote: July 17, 2020, 2:17 pm
Botman wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:32 pm
T_R wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:09 pm Very disappointing, but best of luck to him.
I can only imagine there's more to this story. I guess we'll hear it one day (or maybe, like many young Canberrans including myself, he just got to an age where he fancied some time in the big smoke).
I suspect there is a bit of that involved.
It's a real shame but i think he's going to find out rather quickly that the grass isnt greener there. But i wish him all the best, he's a great young player and i hope he isnt wasted there.
There really isn't more involved.
It's money and Sydney.
Prior to this whole covid fiasco, He'd be in Sydney almost every weekend.....I even ran into him with my brother at a bar in Sydney on NYE.
I recall saying to my brother at the time - this ain't good...he seems to love the night life a fair bit (given the number of times we'd seen him)
Good luck to him, he's young, a very good kid I'll add.
I have no doubt we continually make the right call when we don't use overbids to keep non spine / essential players with us.
Gotta say this sounds true, a mate of mine who lives in padstow has said that he has seen cotric around the traps a lot lately.
Sydney nightlife is famously average. Beaches are the major drawcard here. Maybe Nicky is going to learnt to surf.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

UPDATE: Canberra Raiders young gun Nick Cotric set to join Canterbury Bulldogs

Canberra Raiders winger Nick Cotric looks set to leave his home club to join the Canterbury Bulldogs on a deal believed to be worth $650,000 a season over three years from 2021. It's believed the Raiders withdrew their $1.5 million, three-year offer - with an option for two more years - after Cotric's management asked for more money on Wednesday night.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Cotric set to become a Bulldog after rejecting Raiders re-signing offer: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/17/cot ... ing-offer/

Bulldogs get Cotric on monster deal after Raiders pull offer: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a4c1c95c64
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

What about Israel Folau??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

89_90_94_?? wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:04 pm Very safe under the high ball, ok at carrying the ball out of our end but runs to side ways for my liking, good finisher, was lucky to play for NSW and Aus on 2019 form. Would have been good to keep him but not for 600-650k a year. Has never come across as the brightest bloke and his move to bulldogs proves that. Have fun In Sydney Nick, good looking bloke like you will slay the puss.
Cotric is Chad
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 17, 2020, 4:02 pm
GMGT wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:13 pm
GreenMachine wrote: July 17, 2020, 2:17 pm
Botman wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:32 pm
T_R wrote: July 17, 2020, 1:09 pm Very disappointing, but best of luck to him.
I can only imagine there's more to this story. I guess we'll hear it one day (or maybe, like many young Canberrans including myself, he just got to an age where he fancied some time in the big smoke).
I suspect there is a bit of that involved.
It's a real shame but i think he's going to find out rather quickly that the grass isnt greener there. But i wish him all the best, he's a great young player and i hope he isnt wasted there.
There really isn't more involved.
It's money and Sydney.
Prior to this whole covid fiasco, He'd be in Sydney almost every weekend.....I even ran into him with my brother at a bar in Sydney on NYE.
I recall saying to my brother at the time - this ain't good...he seems to love the night life a fair bit (given the number of times we'd seen him)
Good luck to him, he's young, a very good kid I'll add.
I have no doubt we continually make the right call when we don't use overbids to keep non spine / essential players with us.
Gotta say this sounds true, a mate of mine who lives in padstow has said that he has seen cotric around the traps a lot lately.
Sydney nightlife is famously average. Beaches are the major drawcard here. Maybe Nicky is going to learnt to surf.
Raffle night at Padstow RSL???
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

What the **** man

Why..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good way to give up your NSW and Australian position.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Sucks to lose him, a home grown talent but I do applaud the recent stance of the club, not being dragged into bidding wars.

Good luck to him

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Greedy and disloyal to a club that has nurtured him and enabled him to be a NSW/Test player. That said, that's market forces for you. I'm very glad we pulled the offer in the end. His replacement will be half the cost and comparable. Hope the fully sick nightclubs, hotted up whipps and insta queens make you happy Nic-oh-las. See ya!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Timbo wrote: July 17, 2020, 3:16 pm I cannot fathom this. This is absolute career suicide.

Incredibly short sighted of Sam Ayoub.
Fixed it for you...
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

NSW pick on "previous form" all the time, I'm sure he will still have a spot unless he totally **** it up during an Origin game.

Certainly isn't going to win a premiership down there, or even play finals for the next few years...

He can be great, but he has been pretty average since his Origin stint last year. I would have loved him to stay, but not at the expense of other players, he isn't worth $650K a season.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Well I wish Cotric all the best. I hope he crushes it at the Bulldogs next year!
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Old School Green wrote:Greedy and disloyal to a club that has nurtured him and enabled him to be a NSW/Test player. That said, that's market forces for you. I'm very glad we pulled the offer in the end. His replacement will be half the cost and comparable. Hope the fully sick nightclubs, hotted up whipps and insta queens make you happy Nic-oh-las. See ya!
It easy to have this attitude and I agree it is disheartening to give blokes a start only for them to use that as a stepping stone and **** off. They say rugby league is a business, and it's true.

Goes both ways though, players are one bad season or injury away from a club discarding them and that's potentially their career over.

Good outcome for both parties. Nic gets the cash and we save it and look for new talent.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I've met him a few times around the clubs and he didn't strike me as a disloyal type of person....more a 'not very bright/sharp' type of guy.
Into the simple things....so money + new adventure in Sydney makes sense.
Not the type of guy you should get upset about with respect to 'loyalty'.
Anyway, good luck to him...decent guy and nothing sinister about this choice...just money and the lights of Sydney.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

This is a positive way of looking at it...

Cotric deal still doesn’t solve Dogs’ big issue as $2.5m door opens for Raiders raid

The Raiders were smart to hold out at their $500,000-a-year price for Cotric given the depth of talent they have in the outside backs. The cash put aside for Cotric leaves them with $2.5 million to play around with. The more pressing gap to fill now is in the backrow with John Bateman set to depart at the end of the year. The Raiders will have some cash to throw around too and have been linked to Corey Harawira-Naera, who runs strong lines and could perform a similar role to Bateman. While the Bulldogs have taken Cotric away, the Raiders could get revenge by stealing Harawira-Naera who would go to another level alongside Jack Wighton and George Williams.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2c6bf8ea80
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

We are still in a pretty good spot really. We should have a mini warchest after the departures of Bateman, BJ and Cotric to secure some actual talent, whilst retaining a very good squad in the mean time.

Added bonus is that you know that we don't have to look over our shoulder at the Dogs as an up and coming team to usurp us in the 8, based on their roster management.
Up The Milk
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

It's a bigger issue overall that we have lost two good centres, and replaced them with Scott... Rapana hasn't re-signed either I'm assuming so that means next year we have Croker, Simonsson coming back from a season ending injury, Scott assuming he isn't in jail (that charge is still pending a court date right?).

Oldfield is off contract, not sure if we have offered him an extension.

Valemei might be able to step up but we are THIN on covering injuries even if he can make it.

I guess we can throw some more money at Havili and Starling at least? Are any decent wingers/centres off contract?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 17, 2020, 4:52 pm We are still in a pretty good spot really. We should have a mini warchest after the departures of Bateman, BJ and Cotric to secure some actual talent, whilst retaining a very good squad in the mean time.

Added bonus is that you know that we don't have to look over our shoulder at the Dogs as an up and coming team to usurp us in the 8, based on their roster management.
Absolutely.
Big picture, we have a young group of forwards and quality halves AND cash to spend in a few areas to upgrade our speed / edge and possibly prop.
Part of staying relevant is keeping the squad refreshed and not blowing stupid money on non spine/essential positions.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We should have let him play centre...it sucks