Cotric signs with Bulldogs on $2 million three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly offer Nick Cotric five-year deal

Post by Coastalraider »

And hopefully he enjoyed singing that victory song last night. Won’t be doing much of that with the dogs.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Andrew Webster reporting on 2KY that there was a rumour last night Cotric signed with the Dogs, both clubs and agent Ayoub categorically deny, expect announcement in the coming days.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Can someone explain Ricky's aversion to playing Cotric in the centres? Moving Rapana there after Oldfield went off was baffling. Defensively we were a rabble at times on the right after that change.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I reckon he is gonski
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Might be reading too much into it, but I think he is gone too. Smith mentioned on Fox that there was an announcement coming possibly as soon as tomorrow - you make the announcement before the game if he is staying. His body language post game with the guys and Stuart seemed to reflect it, too.

Would be pretty damn disappointing to lose a 21 year old International Raiders junior.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Very frustrating if he leaves. He has such safe hands, great finisher, strong defensively, makes good hard runs early in the set. We will miss him for sure. He has a different kind of x-factor to BJ, but an x-factor we will miss nonetheless. And despite being rubbished by GMGT for suggesting it, I reckon the change of coach at the Dogs will be the clincher for him going there. I reckon if Pay stayed he wouldn't sign with them.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think it's a mistake for him to sign with the Dogs but it's his business. We made him a good offer and if he goes, so be it.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Wiki Special wrote: July 17, 2020, 7:29 am Can someone explain Ricky's aversion to playing Cotric in the centres? Moving Rapana there after Oldfield went off was baffling. Defensively we were a rabble at times on the right after that change.
1. Stubbornness.
2. Poor judgement in relation to the particular player and position in question.

Giving that Fijian kid a run last night and then talking him up post-game as potentially being another Noa Nadruku is a tell-tale sign that Cotric is going. It's a diversion.

The reality is that losing local junior Cotric would be a dreadful outcome for the club. Absolutely woeful. Top shelf clubs don't lose home grown talents like him.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I will be shattered to lose Cotric but would have accepted it if it meant we kept Bateman (the Bateman loss is a huge one). If we lose both it is diabolical.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We've made a good competitive offer, if the Dogs want to pay overs and he wants to take it, so be it. Wish him all the best.
It sucks but that's footy, losing wingers isnt a huge concern for me
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:09 am We've made a good competitive offer, if the Dogs want to pay overs and he wants to take it, so be it. Wish him all the best.
I'd be very disappointed to see Cotric as a local junior go, but as Raider_69 says - we've made a decent offer by all reports, and just like Shannon Boyd there's another club that appears to be prepared to offer overs. Bad of us, ultimately bad for the bulldogs but Cotric should most definitely jump on it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

We have a fair old War chest if Cotric leaves
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Don’t compete with clubs who offer overs for your non-spine players. We have to hold the line.

If Cotric has rocks in his head and thinks the Bulldogs will be good for his career, then good luck to him.

He will be leaving an awesome training facility, a stable coaching team and board, the opportunity for finals football and deserting his teammates and his home club.

I still think he’ll stay. He just can’t be that dumb and surely a manager has the long term interests of a 21 year old player in mind.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:21 am
Botman wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:09 am We've made a good competitive offer, if the Dogs want to pay overs and he wants to take it, so be it. Wish him all the best.
I'd be very disappointed to see Cotric as a local junior go, but as Raider_69 says - we've made a decent offer by all reports, and just like Shannon Boyd there's another club that appears to be prepared to offer overs. Bad of us, ultimately bad for the bulldogs but Cotric should most definitely jump on it.
Yep, when you look at contribution to the team the outside backs can only make so much difference. That is why they don't command the big $$. Cotric is one of the best in the game but there is smaller gap between what he delivers and somebody like Ikuvalu who is 4th on the Roosters depth chart and would be close to NRL minimum pay.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:56 am Don’t compete with clubs who offer overs for your non-spine players. We have to hold the line.
Thats it in a nutshell
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

that's the thing I guess, we've got room to develop guys like Semi, Timoko and HSS this year if necessary but I'll still be gutted if he goes for such a minimal difference in take home pay

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders666 wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:31 am We have a fair old War chest if Cotric leaves
Without knowing the finer details it would appear so. About $1.2m allocated for Bateman and Cotric. Puts us in a position to compete for any decent quality players that may come on the market. Obviously we will need a winger and backrower to cover those guys.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:11 am
Raiders666 wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:31 am We have a fair old War chest if Cotric leaves
Without knowing the finer details it would appear so. About $1.2m allocated for Bateman and Cotric. Puts us in a position to compete for any decent quality players that may come on the market. Obviously we will need a winger and backrower to cover those guys.
Wingers And centres should be developed from within. Only way to get value out of them and its quite simply the best place to get value in a squad.
I too would prefer he stays and hope he does But weve set a competitive offer and thats it
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:56 am Don’t compete with clubs who offer overs for your non-spine players. We have to hold the line.

If Cotric has rocks in his head and thinks the Bulldogs will be good for his career, then good luck to him.

He will be leaving an awesome training facility, a stable coaching team and board, the opportunity for finals football and deserting his teammates and his home club.

I still think he’ll stay. He just can’t be that dumb and surely a manager has the long term interests of a 21 year old player in mind.
If he goes, I think it'll be the bright lights of Sydney that are the drawcard as much as anything.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

BadnMean wrote: July 16, 2020, 10:14 am
kona_dream wrote: July 16, 2020, 6:49 am All player contracts today come with a yearly renegotiate kick stones player option built in to them. Can’t say I am a massive fan of the 5 years but the $500k pa would seem reasonable.
We have to hope 500k is close enough vs an extra 20k pa in your pocket after taxes, manager and moving/living costs.

I think the 5 years offers great security- it's set your life up money at the promised duration and insurance against all the "what ifs" which can happen to a footballer+ the players option gives him the room to test the market after 3 if he has established himself as a superstar player, or the cap rises, or Raiders go backwards or whichever it is.

It's a pretty good deal.
I get why it is such a good deal for the player. It is exactly what I would push for as a player. No downside risk, with plenty of upside if things are going well. I am more concerned that it is the reverse situation for the club. Plenty of downside risk if the player is injured not playing well. The club is on the hook for 5 years with no upside because if the player is playing well and is being paid unders he just leaves.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Nick has been sensational this season...Really hope he stays. You can tell how frustrated he gets when CNK refuses to pass to him
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The more I read about Cotric the more I’m hearing that he really wants to play centre. Is that right? Is sticky being stubborn and keeping him on the wing?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders666 wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:40 am Nick has been sensational this season...Really hope he stays. You can tell how frustrated he gets when CNK refuses to pass to him
Imagine how frustrated he would be at the end of that Bulldogs backline.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Remember when Wighton was leaving because it was always his dream to play centre?
It's just what the media does. Speculate that a player is leaving because of
*checks notes*

Isn't in a position they've played before.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:32 am

If he goes, I think it'll be the bright lights of Sydney that are the drawcard as much as anything.
The bright lights of Belmore.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I think he decided to move on quite some time ago. Just from stuff I read from a particular poster on the Dogs forum.
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

It's like choosing between pissing your career down the drain or not pissing your career down the drain. How hard can it be. For the difference of 100k too, sure it's still a lot of money but for an nrl player it's not at the end of the day and there is no way I would be leaving the raiders to go to a bottom 4 team simply for an extra 100k. Career suicide.

Before you make your decision Mr Cotric, don't forget to pick up the phone and give Mr Shannon Boyd a call, ask him how it panned out for him.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

BJ wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:56 amsurely a manager has the long term interests of a 21 year old player in mind.
sUrElY a MaNaGeR hAs ThE lOnG tErM iNtErEsTs Of A 21 yEaR oLd PlAyEr In MiNd.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:53 am

The bright lights of the dumpster fire which is Sydney.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

hrundi89 wrote: July 17, 2020, 11:00 am
BJ wrote: July 17, 2020, 9:56 amsurely a manager has the long term interests of a 21 year old player in mind.
Exactly 😂😂. You clearly don't know managers if you think they have his best interests in mind. They literally see dollar signs and that's all they care about.. the bigger the contract the more money for them.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

GMGT wrote: July 17, 2020, 11:00 am

Steady on, mate...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

hrundi89 wrote: July 17, 2020, 11:02 am
GMGT wrote: July 17, 2020, 11:00 am

Steady on, mate...
Pardon me? :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:55 am I think he decided to move on quite some time ago. Just from stuff I read from a particular poster on the Dogs forum.
Link? What did they say?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

hrundi89 wrote: July 17, 2020, 11:00 am
Yeah BJ, you might want to retract that comment. :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:52 am
Raiders666 wrote: July 17, 2020, 10:40 am Nick has been sensational this season...Really hope he stays. You can tell how frustrated he gets when CNK refuses to pass to him
Imagine how frustrated he would be at the end of that Bulldogs backline.
All the chances Nic Meaney and Marcello Montoya will be creating for him :roflmao