Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly offer Nick Cotric five-year deal

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: July 11, 2020, 1:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
LastRaider wrote: July 11, 2020, 12:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
LastRaider wrote: July 11, 2020, 10:07 am

There will be and the players union will make sure there is. Head office will see the brunt of the cuts which will result in more funds being pushed to the players. I’ve also been told by a source that the NRL are looking to reform TPA’s which will drive the increase.

I think this will all result in the cap being pushed to $12m within 2-3 years.
Seeing the cap jump to $12m in 2 years would require a significant uplift in revenue beyond that which saw the increase to current $9.6m. I don't know where that revenue would come from. TV rights are locked in. Sponsor funds are diminishing instead of growing. Loss of income in 2020 is going to take at least 2-3 years to recover.

There's battle will be to keep the cap at current levels, let alone see a 25% increase.
If there going to cut head office costs by 50% saving $250,000 per day, where do you think that money is going to go? That’s $91m in savings alone, the players union arn’t going to sit on there hands and not get a share. Revenue for 2021 will increase from 2019

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 54eu8.html
Cutting costs will help mitigate present and future losses. If they somehow manage any significant surplus in the next couple of years it will be directed to more sustainable initiatives. The NRL was heavily criticised before shutdown for not banking enough when they were flush with funds. If they managed to claw things back in the next 12 months they are not going to blow it on a 25% cap increase. You may feel differently on the topic, which you're entitled to. But I'm happy to have a side bet on it.
You have too much faith in the institution. It will only take 12 months and the nrl will be back to its old ways. Clubs, players, referee’s, head office - they will go back to agitating and crying poor in no time.

I’ll also add that V’landy’s is already pushing another Brisbane team so a couple of years of consolidation isn’t on the cards, growth is on the agenda!
I'd say the person who has too much faith in the institution is the one who believes costs will be cut, revenues will jump and players will get a 25% increase as a result. ;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

LastRaider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
LastRaider wrote: July 11, 2020, 10:07 am
Bay53 wrote:
LastRaider wrote: July 9, 2020, 9:23 pm 5 years at $500k is a terrible deal for Cotric. Salary cap is going to keep increasing and he will be locked in. No wonder he is looking for a shorter deal!
Not sure there will be a massive increase in the salary cap over the next five years. The broadcast deal is locked in and doesn’t increase much and I can’t see sponsorship money pouring in any more than in does now.
There will be and the players union will make sure there is. Head office will see the brunt of the cuts which will result in more funds being pushed to the players. I’ve also been told by a source that the NRL are looking to reform TPA’s which will drive the increase.

I think this will all result in the cap being pushed to $12m within 2-3 years.
Seeing the cap jump to $12m in 2 years would require a significant uplift in revenue beyond that which saw the increase to current $9.6m. I don't know where that revenue would come from. TV rights are locked in. Sponsor funds are diminishing instead of growing. Loss of income in 2020 is going to take at least 2-3 years to recover.

There's battle will be to keep the cap at current levels, let alone see a 25% increase.
If there going to cut head office costs by 50% saving $250,000 per day, where do you think that money is going to go? That’s $91m in savings alone, the players union arn’t going to sit on there hands and not get a share. Revenue for 2021 will increase from 2019

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 54eu8.html
If true, you would imagine the smart thing would be to invest that savings in order to future proof the sport, or funnel it towards grass roots... which is future proofing the sport.

Taking that money and throwing it at the players would be very short sighted.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Sooooooo any word on this one apart from the sound of crickets...?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'd encourage Nick to watch what the Dogs dished up last weekend. I have watched every game this year and I had to turn it off 10 minutes into the second half. Putrid game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hoping for an answer on Nick Cotric offer in next few days

Canterbury's chief recruitment target Nick Cotric faces a critical call on whether he will join the Bulldogs despite not knowing who would coach him at Belmore as Canberra look to bring his contract talks to a head by the end of this week.

The Raiders, wary of Cotric's negotiations dragging on at a critical time for the club, want an answer on their five-year, $2.5 million offer to Cotric in the next few days. There is no ultimatum or risk of the deal being pulled.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/14/cot ... r-reshape/
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Now that Pay is gone, I’m concerned that Cotric might be more willing to go there with a new coach at the helm
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Get the boy an MRI if he's choosing Barrett over Stick.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:19 pm Canberra Raiders hoping for an answer on Nick Cotric offer in next few days

Canterbury's chief recruitment target Nick Cotric faces a critical call on whether he will join the Bulldogs despite not knowing who would coach him at Belmore as Canberra look to bring his contract talks to a head by the end of this week.

The Raiders, wary of Cotric's negotiations dragging on at a critical time for the club, want an answer on their five-year, $2.5 million offer to Cotric in the next few days. There is no ultimatum or risk of the deal being pulled.

Turn the pressure up a touch when it's all up in the air at the dogs
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

You’d have to be a bit nuts to accept a Dogs offer at present surely.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

leaving the raiders might be the best thing he can do for his body. strong chance of going down injured this week
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

RichmondRaider wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:19 pm Canberra Raiders hoping for an answer on Nick Cotric offer in next few days

Turn the pressure up a touch when it's all up in the air at the dogs
Good call. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Time to **** or get off the can Nic...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What's the rush?

The Bateman situation was very different. He was piss-farting around with shopping himself around both hemispheres, with his shady manager. Cotric should be given enough time to work out what's best for him.

....then sign our damn contract! :lol:
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Im becoming increasingly concermed the more this drags out. It appears to me the bulldogs are asking him to hold off making a decision until they announce their head coach and it appears that he is playing ball. Suggests to me that he is on his way out, which would be very disappointing but if its going to happen, youd want it to happen quickly so we can start planning for the future.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders reportedly offer Nick Cotric five-year deal

Post by LastRaider »

Yeah I think he is gone too.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Finchy wrote:Now that Pay is gone, I’m concerned that Cotric might be more willing to go there with a new coach at the helm
Pay wasn’t the problem. Not only that, Nic has no idea who the coach is. He’d be mad to say yes
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Finchy wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:30 pm Now that Pay is gone, I’m concerned that Cotric might be more willing to go there with a new coach at the helm
Ah yeah no? He has played under pay at the raiders.. Pay was most definitely a huge reason for cotric even considering the Bulldogs. It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together bud.. and no the answer is not 6. Why on earth would he be more inclined to go to the Bulldogs when they don't even know who their coach is going to be 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

simo wrote: July 14, 2020, 3:09 pm leaving the raiders might be the best thing he can do for his body. strong chance of going down injured this week
I'd have to agree, he's in my supercoach team. So was Guler. And Holmes. And Joey. And Kamicamika. And Collins, Marty Tapau and Liam Knight.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Are Teddy and Keary in your team?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

zim wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:26 pm Are Teddy and Keary in your team?
I should move heaven and earth and players to select them...
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

GMGT wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:29 pm
Finchy wrote: July 14, 2020, 2:30 pm Now that Pay is gone, I’m concerned that Cotric might be more willing to go there with a new coach at the helm
Ah yeah no? He has played under pay at the raiders.. Pay was most definitely a huge reason for cotric even considering the Bulldogs. It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together bud.. and no the answer is not 6. Why on earth would he be more inclined to go to the Bulldogs when they don't even know who their coach is going to be 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️
More willing to go once he knows who the new coach is, bud? Maybe because Pay wasn’t getting results and has won one game all year, champ? Maybe a new coach will get them playing better, meaning it’s a more desirable team to be a part of? Not that hard to figure out
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

If he has a preference to play in a particular position, quite obviously, that's something he would need to discuss with the new coach.

I've said from the start that there's no way he would see his own long term playing future in club football as being on the wing. No way, Jose.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Swiller
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by Swiller »

Plenty of Cotrics around no need to be offering overs.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Sleek the Elite wrote: July 15, 2020, 4:23 am If he has a preference to play in a particular position, quite obviously, that's something he would need to discuss with the new coach.

I've said from the start that there's no way he would see his own long term playing future in club football as being on the wing. No way, Jose.
Not really sure why you would reach that conclusion when
-He's on record saying he likes playing on the wing
-Wing is considered a more important position in the NRL these days, and wingers on average earn more money than centres
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

Finchy wrote: July 15, 2020, 3:59 am
More willing to go once he knows who the new coach is, bud? Maybe because Pay wasn’t getting results and has won one game all year, champ? Maybe a new coach will get them playing better, meaning it’s a more desirable team to be a part of? Not that hard to figure out
Hahah oh my God. Pay has been there for all of about 3/4 Of a season. According to you it's time for a "new coach" when he IS or WAS the new coach you **** numpty. Please name which "new coach" will get them firing big boy??? And guess what else, the dogs have won 1 game all year because their team is **** and pay inherited an absolute rabble of a club. You sound like a dragons or Bulldogs fan who looks for any reason to sack the coach every **** year. NOW **** OFF.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raider Azz wrote: July 15, 2020, 9:43 am
Sleek the Elite wrote: July 15, 2020, 4:23 am If he has a preference to play in a particular position, quite obviously, that's something he would need to discuss with the new coach.

Not really sure why you would reach that conclusion when
-He's on record saying he likes playing on the wing
-Wing is considered a more important position in the NRL these days, and wingers on average earn more money than centres
And, that if Nic's staying was dependant on playing centre, and Raiders have just dropped a centre right next to Nic and are so wrapped in Cotric's ability that they have rolled out a 5 year contract- something offered only to gold standard Raiders, Meninga, Stuart, Daley, Clyde, Campo, Wighton- then he would be playing wing right now if he wanted to, with Oldy also in his preferred position of winger.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

GMGT wrote: July 15, 2020, 11:14 am
Finchy wrote: July 15, 2020, 3:59 am
Hahah oh my God. Pay has been there for all of about 3/4 Of a season. According to you it's time for a "new coach" when he IS or WAS the new coach you **** numpty. Please name which "new coach" will get them firing big boy??? And guess what else, the dogs have won 1 game all year because their team is **** and pay inherited an absolute rabble of a club. You sound like a dragons or Bulldogs fan who looks for any reason to sack the coach every **** year. NOW **** OFF.
Well Mr Rugby League fan, Pay is in his third year coaching the Dogs, not his first season dumbass. And no it's not "time to get a new coach according to me", that was Pay and the board's decision, hence why he just "quit".

Pay did inherit a rabble of a club, but I'll wager literally any other coach will get them to win more than 1 game next year. To quote the great Botman, I'm right, and you **** know it. Now you **** off, champ.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cut the personal remarks, thanks. We've had good year for good footy discussion and no rubbish on the site. Let's keep it up. Posts with derogatory remarks about others will be deleted.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:We've had good year for good footy discussion and no rubbish on the site.
Doesn’t seem right, I’ve posted quite a bit...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs lift their offer to Nick Cotric, but the Canberra Raiders still in the game

Canterbury have upped their offer to Canberra winger Nick Cotric in a bid to lure him away from the nation’s capital, but the Raiders have an ace up their sleeve to secure the representative flyer. In a last-ditch bid to secure Cotric, the Bulldogs have tabled a $1.8 million deal over three years – the club’s maximum.

Canberra have offered the outside back a three-year deal but with an option for a further two seasons in the player’s favour, for a total of $2.5 million.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bf60b99228

Nothing too new there... except for the bit about the option.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I though Canterbury were already at 600k...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: July 15, 2020, 9:39 pm I though Canterbury were already at 600k...
They were at 600k for 3 years and we were at 500k for 5 years a week ago

weird article
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

If it's all about money, we should have already re-signed him based on those figures.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

All player contracts today come with a yearly renegotiate kick stones player option built in to them. Can’t say I am a massive fan of the 5 years but the $500k pa would seem reasonable.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kona_dream wrote: July 16, 2020, 6:49 am All player contracts today come with a yearly renegotiate kick stones player option built in to them. Can’t say I am a massive fan of the 5 years but the $500k pa would seem reasonable.
We have to hope 500k is close enough vs an extra 20k pa in your pocket after taxes, manager and moving/living costs.

I think the 5 years offers great security- it's set your life up money at the promised duration and insurance against all the "what ifs" which can happen to a footballer+ the players option gives him the room to test the market after 3 if he has established himself as a superstar player, or the cap rises, or Raiders go backwards or whichever it is.

It's a pretty good deal.