Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

#Canberra #Raiders second rower John Bateman with plenty of interesting things to say this afternoon on Fox League Live! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #FoxLeagueLive #rugbyleague

VIDEO: Bateman comes in with jokes: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/leag ... kes!770841
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Seriously if they cant live of $100000 a year, they have screwed them selfs over and got no one else to blame. Esp with them knowing it can only take 1 injury to lose everything.

I work in the mines where im on $100000 a year and work with blokes doing the exact same thing along side me who are on $170000 and sit there listening to them complain about being in debt and got to do over time to pay for things and that theyd be up **** creek if they lost their job. When i pay $1000 a fortnight in child support plus essential things and can still pay debts and enjoy comforts.

Living out side of their means all because they have the money now not taking in consideration of what can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah I earn circa that.

It's not that easy

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' contracts and NRL salary cap facing cuts

Canberra Raiders stars Jack Wighton and Jarrod Croker might have locked in long-term deals, but those contracts could be hit by coronavirus with the salary cup potentially reduced as a result into the future.

"I can't imagine us having the same salary cap anymore so then that changes current contracts. But how that changes we wouldn't have a clue at this stage because nothing's come back at this stage - other than wait and see where it all goes," Jack Wighton's manager Matt Rose said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys will present his plan to slash costs from NRL headquarters on Monday in a move that is expected to hand players an additional $7 million for this year: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a2700b1759
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Living on $100k is not the issue. It's more the change in financial position. A player might have mortgage, school fees, car finance etc based on $300k per annum. Suddenly dropping to $100k might see them immediately in a negative cashflow position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably the only benefit of lending insurance

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stay fit and healthy: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells players the season hiatus is not a holiday

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart says players can ill-afford to treat the next fortnight as a mid-season break before further lockdown measures potentially coming into play in the future.

"We've looked at different programs for different scenarios, to even the extent of if there's no competition," Stuart said. "As time goes on over the coming weeks those scenarios and questions will have answers."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/28/sta ... a-holiday/

VIDEO: Players share their best #StickySelfie: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/27/pla ... ckyselfie/
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:Living on $100k is not the issue. It's more the change in financial position. A player might have mortgage, school fees, car finance etc based on $300k per annum. Suddenly dropping to $100k might see them immediately in a negative cashflow position.
Which is the living outside of their means are, they very well know that it can take just one injury to end their Career so they should be prepaid for that to happen. Which means if they cant live off $100000 then theyve got no one else to blame but them selfs Image

Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

They bleet in the media all the time about trying to earn as much as they can in short notice because they dont know then their career will end, then when something like this happens and they now saying they cant take a pay cut because they fot things to pay off? Please it simply their spending money they have now and not preparing for the worse.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

From what I have seen the NRL players haven't whinged at all, outside Joey a few weeks back.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 28, 2020, 6:40 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Living on $100k is not the issue. It's more the change in financial position. A player might have mortgage, school fees, car finance etc based on $300k per annum. Suddenly dropping to $100k might see them immediately in a negative cashflow position.
Which is the living outside of their means are, they very well know that it can take just one injury to end their Career so they should be prepaid for that to happen. Which means if they cant live off $100000 then theyve got no one else to blame but them selfs Image

By this logic anybody who maintains a lifestyle beyond what can be afforded on minimum wage is living outside their means. Circumstances can change for anybody.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:

By this logic anybody who maintains a lifestyle beyond what can be afforded on minimum wage is living outside their means. Circumstances can change for anybody.
$100000 is far from minimum wage

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 28, 2020, 6:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Think you missed the point.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: March 28, 2020, 6:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Think you missed the point.
The biggest thing is that footballer careers can be short and they know that, unlike public servents and mechanics and anyone else able to esrn big money, the career expectancy is longer, so they should be preparing for the shorter career expectancy

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

This is relates their immediate cash position, not their career length.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:This is relates their immediate cash position, not their career length.
Exactly, they should always be preparing for worse case scenario. And if their bading their life off 3-400000 a year and not preparing for the worse then its their own fault.
These pay cuts are going to teach a lot of players financial leasons and should give them a greater appreciation of people working harder jobs for a lot less money

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

edwahu wrote:From what I have seen the NRL players haven't whinged at all, outside Joey a few weeks back.
Fonua-Blake had a sook the other week saying he had a contract he was expecting to be paid that amount..

Solidifies what a **** human he is

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Was thinking about if/when the comp resumes. Just prior to closure they were looking at isolating everybody at a facility near Gladstone and running the comp from there. Was considering ways this could still be pursued. If they are able still to able to quarantine and test everybody to ensure they were all clear then this could still be done. Not easy (nothing is right now) but it’s achievable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 28, 2020, 7:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote:This is relates their immediate cash position, not their career length.
Exactly, they should always be preparing for worse case scenario. And if their bading their life off 3-400000 a year and not preparing for the worse then its their own fault.
These pay cuts are going to teach a lot of players financial leasons and should give them a greater appreciation of people working harder jobs for a lot less money

Which is circles right back to suggesting everybody should follow a lifestyle based on minimum wage instead their current income.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think if things go well, the competition could start up in the next 6-8 weeks in an isolated envirvonment... but that'll be dependent on how the nation as a whole is handling the spread
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 28, 2020, 7:46 pm I think if things go well, the competition could start up in the next 6-8 weeks in an isolated envirvonment... but that'll be dependent on how the nation as a whole is handling the spread
Gould is saying the season is gone... I hope he’s wrong... but he might be proved right, too. If we’d just been able to play this week, the NRL would at least have had the quarterly payment due on 1 April from the broadcasters... but now they don’t.

Phil Gould: The game will never be the same, but that might not be all bad: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-ga ... 54ert.html
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 28, 2020, 7:46 pm I think if things go well, the competition could start up in the next 6-8 weeks in an isolated envirvonment... but that'll be dependent on how the nation as a whole is handling the spread
That last bit is the key. The competition resuming is relying on the general population following directives, which too many are not. That’s why I was thinking the NRL needs to take matters into their own hands. Might see a number of other organisations start looking to do the same if things don’t take a positive turn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 28, 2020, 7:54 pm
Gould is saying the season is gone... I hope he’s wrong... but he might be proved right, too. If we’d just been able to play this week, the NRL would at least have had the quarterly payment due on 1 April from the broadcasters... but now they don’t.

Phil Gould: The game will never be the same, but that might not be all bad: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-ga ... 54ert.html
I mean he probably knows more than us on this stuff
I saw Eddie McGuire has said similar stuff re the AFL season, so that's probably more instructive than my general thoughts

But australia's situation is trending realitively well. But who really knows? Lot of prognosication over this thing have come and gone and all of them have thus far been wrong at some level.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman shouldering load alone

The full interview with John Bateman on Fox League Live.

He might be stuck largely indoors, but Canberra Raiders star John Bateman is ensuring he keeps progressing his shoulder rehabilitation to be ready when the NRL resumes.

"Just keeping the movement there in my shoulder and try and progress, not standing still. That's the worst thing.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Apparently a Raiders fan, bit of Raiders chat there, this afternoon on Fox League Live.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: March 28, 2020, 9:54 pm

Apparently a Raiders fan, bit of Raiders chat there, this afternoon on Fox League Live.
They are really struggling to fill in 6 hours. It's funny how much more coverage they have now there are no games being played. Imagine if these shows keep going for another 5 or 6 weeks - they'll be incredibly dry.

Yvonne, Kent and Ennis today were the best combo I've seen yet I will admit. I have only been tuning in here and there though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If all contracts end up being null and void, the Sharks will be cheering about ditching Dugan next season.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Seiffert82 wrote:If all contracts end up being null and void, the Sharks will be cheering about ditching Dugan next season.
It also means the Roosters might finally be able to get under the cap
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I have a 12 month FOX watchnrl subscription as I am overseas. Are others getting their money back ? Pls tell me what arrangements you guys are making. They are not paying the NRL for no content and I don;t think I should pay them for having re runs and 3 people talking nonsense on their shows. Pls advise me. Thanks
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 29, 2020, 2:11 pm I have a 12 month FOX watchnrl subscription as I am overseas. Are others getting their money back ? Pls tell me what arrangements you guys are making. They are not paying the NRL for no content and I don;t think I should pay them for having re runs and 3 people talking nonsense on their shows. Pls advise me. Thanks
I tried to get my season pass refunded from the raiders and they basically have closed up shop like the rest of the NRL so I’d say if you have about zero chance so best enjoy your re-runs
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL players might have to draw on drastic measures

The NRL and Rugby League Players Association are working towards an agreement on how much the players will be paid while games are unable to be played.

"I think we'll be OK. I've been fortunate enough to be in the game for awhile. There'll be different avenues that we'll probably have to look at like a lot of other people outside the game are probably doing," Sia Soliola said. "Freezing their mortgages, trying to access their super, maybe getting a loan from the bank.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Glenn Lazarus on Fox League Live: https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 6923622400
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 29, 2020, 9:55 am
Seiffert82 wrote:If all contracts end up being null and void, the Sharks will be cheering about ditching Dugan next season.
It also means the Roosters might finally be able to get under the cap
Wonders may never cease!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders‪ on Twitter

Legendary prop Glenn Lazarus showing his true colours! Green! | Fox League Live

via @YouTube‬

‪#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr #Canberra #Raiders‬
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders putting bricks in place for training during season suspension

Wheelbarrows and bricks. That's as basic as the Canberra Raiders have made some training programs to ensure everyone can get the work done they need to.

"We've put wheelbarrow sessions together and brick sessions together. We've just had to innovate," Ashley-Jones said. "Your Harley Smith-Shields, he's not a problem, he's got the best home gym you've ever seen. Johnny Bateman's got a fair set up, but then you've got the other players with zero."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -in-place/
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

wonder if the club has thought about reaching out to a local club lime/s who are now shut and asking about hiring their equipment to set up home gyms for players during this period

No idea how feasible that is, but for players who dont have the full set up, it could be worth considering