Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by -TW- »

Yeah it's hard to see how that would work

I'd say it's all over after this round for a while

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Danaman137 wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:26 pm With this news I expect the season to be shut down... you can’t expect the warriors to be away from their families indefinitely just to keep the game going. These men have wives and children. The cricket team has just been sent home, I expect the same thing for the warriors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps some danger money will persuade them?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Jacinta Ardern’s Quotes

"I make no apologies. This is an unprecedented time.

"If you don't need to travel overseas, then don't. Enjoy your own backyard for a time. Stop handshakes, hugs and hongi.

"We are a tough, resilient people. We have been here before.”

Can something be unprecedented if “we have been here before”. One would suggest if that was the case there was a precedent!!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by LastRaider »

I think it’s time to suspend the competition and put the season on hold. Then come back and play a shortened competition where the teams just play each other once.

Then change the finals format perhaps, and have a 10 team finals series.
Last edited by LastRaider on March 14, 2020, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:34 pm Jacinta Ardern’s Quotes

"If you don't need to travel overseas, then don't. Enjoy your own backyard for a time. Stop handshakes, hugs and hongi.

Can something be unprecedented if “we have been here before”. One would suggest if that was the case there was a precedent!!
I guess she means their general resilience, of which the Warriors are not the best example.

It's an ott move in my opinion.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Commission is meeting at 5pm to discuss.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

One saving grace is those of us who have paid to fly to NZ next week should be able to get a refund or credit.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd guess we are looking at a 1 month suspension at least.

Perhaps a chance of an extended season which would be good. I don't see them giving up the revenue that a shortened season would bring. Unfortunately the NRL having zero assets puts it in a bad position.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:36 pm
Bay53 wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:34 pm Jacinta Ardern’s Quotes

I guess she means their general resilience, of which the Warriors are not the best example.

It's an ott move in my opinion.
Yes the Warriors are playing like lost souls at the moment. But it would be typical of them to extract a digit and score 40 from here.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Danaman137 wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:26 pm With this news I expect the season to be shut down... you can’t expect the warriors to be away from their families indefinitely just to keep the game going. These men have wives and children. The cricket team has just been sent home, I expect the same thing for the warriors.

Im sure their families will be fine, cricket tours go on for months.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

And the Wolfpack seem to manage fine.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Begbie wrote:

Sure, when everything is normal. This is a global pandemic, it’s just footy.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:48 pm I'd guess we are looking at a 1 month suspension at least.

Perhaps a chance of an extended season which would be good. I don't see them giving up the revenue that a shortened season would bring. Unfortunately the NRL having zero assets puts it in a bad position.
It was interesting listening to a show on the AFL website last night. There seems to have been more resistance from the players and clubs to play in closed stadiums, with many preferring to postpone the start of the season.

The commentators were saying the AFL fully expects the season to be shut down at some stage. However, they want to play the full season, so the thinking was if the could scrape out a round or two in closed stadiums that makes it easier. The NRL may feel the same way.

The AFL believe they could miss 4 weeks. Each team has a bye and there is a week off before the finals. They could scrap them and run 2 weeks late before the MCG has to be handed to cricket for the T20 World Cup.

Presumably with us using mostly rectangular stadiums we don’t have any restrictions extending the season if the Kangaroo tour is postponed or cancelled.

Might mean common sense finally prevails and the GF can’t be at the SCG!!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Danaman137 wrote: March 14, 2020, 3:02 pm
Begbie wrote:

Sure, when everything is normal. This is a global pandemic, it’s just footy.

There is a precedent of course (for the benefit of Jacinta that is a similar event that has happened before), the Sunwolves in Rugby have had to base themselves in Australia.

Super Rugby will have no choice but to shut down.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

zim wrote: March 14, 2020, 3:02 pm And the Wolfpack seem to manage fine.
I think you will find the Wolfpack are actually based in England. They only go to Canada for a period to play games and they stay in a university campus.

I am pretty sure Josh McCrones wife and kids are living in England not Canada.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bay53 wrote: It was interesting listening to a show on the AFL website last night. There seems to have been more resistance from the players and clubs to play in closed stadiums, with many preferring to postpone the start of the season.
I do not understand why a crowd in the stands is so important.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think the ESL is still going. Only disruption is Catalan Dragons are playing in front of an empty stadium.

I went to Perpignan once. Boring joint. We left early and went to Lyon and ate snails. True story.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think Blake Green was self isolating in the defensive line there. He was socially distancing himself from any Newcastle player.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes you can. The Toronto Wolfpack does it... they base away from England/Canada for weeks on end, repeatedly. The broadcasting dollars are way too significant. The NRL will keep playing as long as they can, the broadcasting dollars are far too significant.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Empty Canberra Stadium could hit Canberra Raiders finances to the tune of $4 million

A closed Canberra Stadium will cost the Raiders $4 million if the fan ban stays in place for the rest of the NRL season.

"A normal game we'd net $60-$70,000 after costs. But we'd have to refund members tickets, gate tickets, people who'd bought corporate hospitality," Furner said. "I reckon about $300-$400,000 a game. So say we had no crowds for one game, no crowds for another game and all of a sudden it's over a million bucks roughly. If you refund everybody."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL clubs face million dollar hit: Furner: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-clubs- ... 48034a4b83
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

NZ government announcing that people entering the country after midnight Sunday will require a period of 14 days isolation. This would effect the Warriors. Looks like they are staying in Australia.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

At the end of the day the players will decide and I would suspect they will not want to stay. I doubt given the deadline there is enough time for the NRL to convince them otherwise.
Last edited by edwahu on March 14, 2020, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

If the NRL plays Round 2 I highly doubt we’ll see Round 3
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2020, 3:38 pm At the end of the day the players will decide and I would suspect they will not want to stay. I doubt given the deadline their is enough time for the NRL to convince them otherwise.
They're employees on big dollars, they'll do what they're directed to do. The NRL should be hard line with them IMO. You forfeit your games while they continue.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The comp will be suspended next week IMO, by Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 3:45 pm
edwahu wrote: March 14, 2020, 3:38 pm At the end of the day the players will decide and I would suspect they will not want to stay. I doubt given the deadline their is enough time for the NRL to convince them otherwise.
They're employees on big dollars, they'll do what they're directed to do. The NRL should be hard line with them IMO. You forfeit your games while they continue.
Says someone without small children and close Islander family.
No way should they be expected to stay here if they want to go home. This isnt the defence force, they didnt sign up for potentially months or more apart with the fear ( be it real or not) that their entire family will be sick

They need to go home
Vaccinated
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

cat wrote:
No way should they be expected to stay here if they want to go home. This isnt the defence force, they didnt sign up for potentially months or more apart with the fear ( be it real or not) that their entire family will be sick

They need to go home
100% agree Cat.
I don’t care how much money they’re on, we’re in a global pandemic and it’s just **** footy.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:13 pm

They need to go home
Plus they probably didn’t pack enough clothes.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

James Hooper suggesting the NRL is considering isolating all teams in Brisbane, Darwin and Townsville to play.

Surely GIO with a bunch of dorms next to the stadium and world class facilities is a good option?
Last edited by edwahu on March 14, 2020, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Bay53 wrote:
cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:13 pm

They need to go home
Plus they probably didn’t pack enough clothes.
Not gonna lie, this was the first thing I thought about when the news came through Image

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

@bay53 or toilet paper and we dont have enough to spare!
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by gangrenous »

Bay53 wrote: Plus they probably didn’t pack enough clothes.
Just loan them Raiders gear.

But yeah, don’t think you can ask them to stay in a foreign country in a pandemic for football.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

This is the time when you think - “I think I turned the stove off”
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t understand Brisbane... aren’t there quite a few cases in SE Queensland?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:19 pm James Hooper suggesting the NRL is considering isolating all teams in Brisbane, Darwin and Townsville to play.

Surely GIO with a bunch of dorms next to the stadium and world class facilities is a good option?
Same thing as the warriors players,
We can not expect these players, coaches, support staff etc to move to Brisbane, Darwin or Townsville for potentially the next 6 months or longer and leave behind families and other important people/pets.
What will Elliott do without his pups!
Vaccinated