Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Off
Laurie Daley

Re: Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by Off »

Rubbish viewing anyway atm.
This place is woke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by -PJ- »

As a Rugbrugh League fan this is the worst possible outcome...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Anyone concerned about our own future at the Raiders? We rely big time on Leagues Clubs... :?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raider47 wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:21 pm Anyone concerned about our own future at the Raiders? We rely big time on Leagues Clubs... :?
I think the clubs have a lot of assets and are in a relatively good position compared to many businesses even if they do have to shut down for a period of time.

I would think the cost cutting will be extreme but we should survive.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:21 pm Anyone concerned about our own future at the Raiders? We rely big time on Leagues Clubs... :?
Absolutely. The only way to survive will be to cut staffing massively... putting people on leave gives the NRL and clubs a credit in accounting terms. Player salaries will have to be cut proportionate to the loss of revenue.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Did the Mole get one right?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Press conference about to occur on Foxsports
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brent Read from the Australian has just said its over...

The comp will be shutdown..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL press conference at 6:10pm.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans due to coronavirus

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 21, 2020, 6:26 am I'll be VERY surprised if Round 3 goes ahead.
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 21, 2020, 11:41 am
Dr Zaius wrote: March 21, 2020, 10:12 am
Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 21, 2020, 9:59 am
Azza wrote:
Nickman said that about round 2. At some stage one of you has to be right.
Throw enough darts you're bound to hit the board eventually

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
With the comp still running now here will need to be a significant change in events for them to stop e.g. player or staff test positive, full social distancing policy put into place, total ban on air travel etc. Otherwise I expect it to continue indefinitely as is.
Any or all of those things are likely to happen at some point.

I can see it now. Midseason, top of the table, premiership favourites. Competition cancelled.
I'm guessing we'll see a ramp up in controversy and pressure over whether it is in good taste to continue this week. Already been murmurs the past week.
Called it. Y'all owe me a drink. Please toss it from 2m away.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL set to suspend 2020 competition due to coronavirus

Post by greeneyed »

Brent Read saying that no firm time line has been set for resumption.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

A little numb right now..
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

How can they , this is a ever changing beast. I was suprised the AFL were talking around dates or a 17 comp starting x date.

Hopefully this country gets on top of it and we can all return to normal lives.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider47 wrote:Anyone concerned about our own future at the Raiders? We rely big time on Leagues Clubs... :?
Us and 14 other clubs..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 23, 2020, 4:57 pm Brent Read saying that no firm time line has been set for resumption.
And that's the way it has to be. We could be in this hole for a while yet looking at Europe... and it's about to get a whole lot deeper.

Stay safe, everybody
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This discussion on Fox is nonsense.

Equine flu is not comparable. It was the only industry impacted in a time of calm.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Media conference about to happen so we can expect more clarity then.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL set to suspend the 2020 competition due to coronavirus. Canberra Raiders fans, press conference scheduled for 6:10pm.

V'landys and Greenberg NRL update https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/23/vla ... l-update-/ via @NRL

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Have to say Pete did all he could.

NRL in good hands with this bloke, happy for him to pump Greenberg when things settle down.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

#pete4pm
WorkChoice
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Somebody want to tell me why someone on the Gold Coast is still allowed to jump in their car and drive here? Surely that’s going to spread the virus more than me going to a cafe in an area that is coronavirus-free?

The restrictions are stupid, they need to lock down the areas that have the virus and lock them down hard! You can’t just apply a blanket rule across the state and allow people to still travel freely between towns.
Too late
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Press conference...

V'landys... Pandemic and biosecurity experts recommended that they cannot guarantee the safety of the players if the game continues, given the very rapid rate of spread of the virus. That advice was delivered mid afternoon and the Commission met immediately. No decision on length of suspension, will look at all the options over the next week.

Greenberg... advice has changed and so have our decisions. Today is a difficult day for the NRL and the clubs. We will do everything possible to

Have told the players not to turn up for training tomorrow, they should continue to self isolate. NRL offices closed until May 1.

V'landys... the Warriors have only a day to return, plus Queensland closed borders. No option off the table, but we must .

Probably the biggest financial challenge the game will ever face in its history. It is a catastrophe. Rugby league will survive, I can't guarantee it will be in its current form.

Greenberg... we've got scenarios developed, confident we can get a season in. The cost base has to be re-set, it will have to be across the whole game. Need to stick together, we will come out the other end.

V'landys... we will do our best to ensure all the clubs remain viable. I haven't deviated from the position that the NRL would like to be a part of the government's economic stimulus.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

It was the only decision that could be made.

Doesn't mean that it isn't a very sad day.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hopefully the players and staff take a lot of care with their social interactions. They've been well sheltered so far so they're in a good position to stay clear of the virus.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Dear oh dear. I can’t see this being short term.

If this is six months or more, I can’t see all 16 clubs making it to the other side. And from when I’ve heard Don speaking over the last little while, it sounds as though that we are far from bulletproof.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Which clubs are most at risk financially?

Titans. Who else?

Raiders Group of clubs is going to take a significant hit financially. This might not go well for us.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:21 pm Hopefully the players and staff take a lot of care with their social interactions. They've been well sheltered so far so they're in a good position to stay clear of the virus.
Spot on NR..

Now is the time the players are most vulnerable. They've been in a club bubble and now there back with family and friends..social distancing won't be enough and in my opinion the chances of a player contracting this virus has just multiplied 1000 fold..
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I dont think the NRL will let clubs die. Not through this. They will do their best to keep clubs afloat
As Todd said there is going to be a reset . Wages , salary cap etc is going to be much lower once this is over
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:23 pm Which clubs are most at risk financially?

Titans. Who else?

Raiders Group of clubs is going to take a significant hit financially. This might not go well for us.
Tigers, Titans, Dogs, Manly, Dragons.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

From what I've heard Manly are the most vulnerable by a distance, followed by the Sharks and Warriors. That was the talking heads on Fox though so may not be entirely accurate.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on March 23, 2020, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:25 pm I dont think the NRL will let clubs die. Not through this. They will do their best to keep clubs afloat
As Todd said there is going to be a reset . Wages , salary cap etc is going to be much lower once this is over
I don't think they will be able to carry clubs which can't at least partially pay their own way anymore. A lot of the money they need now was used to save clubs already.
Last edited by edwahu on March 23, 2020, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

How's Crapnulla going to survive ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL suspends competition due to coronavirus pandemic

The NRL is taking the unprecedented step of suspending the season due to the global coronavirus pandemic.

"Our pandemic and biosecurity experts said due to the outbreak it is no longer safe for our players to play," Chairman Peter V'landys said. "We are going to look at all the options. We thank the players for all their players and fans for the support. This decision hasn't been taken lightly. Our experts are very concerned with the rapid rate.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/23/nrl ... -pandemic/

Experts advise it's no longer safe to play: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/21/cor ... t-updates/

NRL media release: NRL suspends season

The Australian Rugby League Commission and the National Rugby League has tonight announced it will suspend the 2020 Telstra Premiership Season until further notice.

In response to both the revised medical advice from government health officials and biosecurity experts, coupled with the travel bans introduced by the Queensland and New Zealand governments, the NRL said it was unable to continue the competition. The Commission will monitor the situation daily and review the competition next month.

Australian Rugby League Chairman Peter V’landys said it was a devastating day for rugby league, but in light of the dramatic shift in advice and restrictions, it was the only possible outcome.

“This is a dark day in our game’s history,” Mr V’landys said. “But we had to take this unprecedented action as there was simply no other option.

“We have always said we would continue but only as long it was safe to do so.

“When the advice tells us, we can no longer guarantee player safety because of the rapid rate at which infection is spreading, we must act accordingly. We will monitor the advice daily and recommence when it is simply safe and prudent to do so.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the challenge to the game’s future was enormous but rugby league will endure the challenge, no matter it’s length or severity.

“Our game has never faced a challenge like this. So, while this is a tough day for our game, we know it is a tough time for everyone across the entire community.” Greenberg said.

“But we respect that the increasing risk means we must act to protect our players, staff and the community.

“The impact of this decision on those who work within rugby league will be significant. All we can do as a sport, and a community, is remain united and follow the expert advice to keep ourselves and our families safe.

“So, while we cannot say with certainty what the future holds, I know the rugby league community as a whole will work through this as a team.

“We are all in this together and we will get through this together.”
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: March 23, 2020, 5:28 pm How's Crapnulla going to survive ?
They have cash from selling off their swamp.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Hopefully addin fonua blake doesn't do it too hard. Muppet.