Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by gangrenous »

CMO wrote: Risk to children is very low. Consensus view at this time is that schools should remain open.
And of course they’re not just transferring it between households amongst the low risk children are they?!...

And the risk to the teaching staff which is skewed to the upper end of working age probably would be...

What is going on? Stick to your guns states. This is madness.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Prime Minister now announcing close downs...

Restaurants and cafes, clubs, gyms, religous ceremonies and licenced venues to be closed tomorrow from midday. Shopping centres won't be closed. No need to go and panic buy.

Schools... children should go tomorrow. Parents will be able to keep children home. Schools will remain open. Schools will aim to provide distance learning as soon as they are able. Schools will remain open after the end of this term, they will open for the next term. Victoria's term will close on Tuesday. If children remain at home, they should not be allowed to remain free. This term break is not a "holiday", there should be no trips away, no congregating. Families should not travel and they should observe social distancing. Schools will open for the next term, for those children whose parents choose to send them.

National Cabinet to meet again on Tuesday.

Chief Medical Officer...

We have to live differently. It seems many young people don't get it. There have been a significant increase in cases. We have to stop the spread. There have been events where 35 people have picked up the virus. We have to live differently, very differently. We have seen some irresponsible people who have spread the virus. We have to be rigid. If you come home from overseas, you must quarantine for two weeks. No exceptions. We can control, we can contain, but all Australians must contribute.

Risk to children is very low. Consensus view at this time is that schools should remain open.
He straight out bottled it. Recommendation to 'National Cabinet' was much stronger (hence VIC, NSA and ACT going off early).

Should have gone hard, early.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
"The virus has hit Australia, Prime Minister, what should we do"
"Let's just see how this plays out for a few weeks. No need to panic at this stage"

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by The Nickman »

Somebody want to tell me why someone on the Gold Coast is still allowed to jump in their car and drive here? Surely that’s going to spread the virus more than me going to a cafe in an area that is coronavirus-free?

The restrictions are stupid, they need to lock down the areas that have the virus and lock them down hard! You can’t just apply a blanket rule across the state and allow people to still travel freely between towns.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2020, 6:47 am Somebody want to tell me why someone on the Gold Coast is still allowed to jump in their car and drive here? Surely that’s going to spread the virus more than me going to a cafe in an area that is coronavirus-free?

The restrictions are stupid, they need to lock down the areas that have the virus and lock them down hard! You can’t just apply a blanket rule across the state and allow people to still travel freely between towns.
There was talk of suburb lock downs , ones that had the virus. It will happen but like everything so far it will be too late
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Somebody want to tell me why someone on the Gold Coast is still allowed to jump in their car and drive here? Surely that’s going to spread the virus more than me going to a cafe in an area that is coronavirus-free?

Agreed. Just another example of the she'll be right mentality.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm with you here buddy. There are areas unscathed or with no known community transmission (yet). They need to be protected.

At least they made protecting indigenous communities a priority early on
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Bay53 wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:25 pm I reiterate what I said before, unless the NRL do something stupid, not one single person who loves rugby league is not going to stop loving it due Coronavirus. (Hoping that not too many people perish)

This is a disaster for Rugby League but if we adapt, we not only survive, but in time flourish.
This. For all the talk of financial doom and gloom (for NRL and other sports), no one is pointing to the truth that they still have a billion dollar product that returns straight to it's original value as soon as we're all allowed out in public. The RL will without doubt have to jeopardise mid-term growth for immediate investment (extend broadcast deals at a reduced rate and the like), the effects of which will be felt for many years to come, but there is no way that this situation will become untenable with even half-competent management.

The only exception would be a reckless decision to play on in spite of all evidence not to, and a dire consequence as a result. The NRL can now say they've held on as long as they could - and no doubt have generated at least a small amount of good will from fans for doing so - but enough is enough. The risks far outweigh the benefits of continuing, it's time to stop. To believe otherwise is to say that the NRL has more knowledge and innovation than every other sporting league in the world put together - we all know that sadly that isn't true. This is madness.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I'm yet to hear a real reason why the season should be shut down. All I'm constantly hearing is "every other sport has done it" or "people will turn against the NRL" (despite there not being any real evidence that this will actually happen) - neither of these being good reasons to do so.

The NRL has repeatedly said they are working closely with the government and with shut down if the advice is to do so. Their situations are not similar to the other sports that have shut down - all the teams are on one side of the country (unlike the AFL), and there has not been a player test positive (unlike other sports overseas)

I really don't understand why there is such a push from people here to shut the competition down despite there no real reason to do so at this stage.
Last edited by Raider Azz on March 23, 2020, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raider Azz wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:23 am I'm yet to hear a real reason why the season should be shut down. All I'm constantly hearing is "every other sport has done it" or "people will turn against the NRL" (despite there being any real evidence that this will actually happen) - neither of these being good reasons to do so.

The NRL has repeatedly said they are working closely with the government and with shut down if the advice is to do so. Their situations are not similar to the other sports that have shut down - all the teams are on one side of the country (unlike the AFL), and there has not been a player test positive (unlike other sports overseas)

I really don't understand why there is such a push from people here to shut the competition down despite there no real reason to do so at this stage.
The post above yours spells it out pretty clearly.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

edwahu wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:27 am
Raider Azz wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:23 am I'm yet to hear a real reason why the season should be shut down. All I'm constantly hearing is "every other sport has done it" or "people will turn against the NRL" (despite there being any real evidence that this will actually happen) - neither of these being good reasons to do so.

The post above has added nothing new to what has already been said (although it was very well written), and my points still stand.
Last edited by Raider Azz on March 23, 2020, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raider Azz wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:28 am

The post above has added nothing new to what has already been said (although it was very well written).
Yep, but that to me is a valid and real reason to shut the comp down. The risk being greater than the reward at this point.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:31 am

The post above has added nothing new to what has already been said (although it was very well written).
Yep, but that to me is a valid and real reason to shut the comp down. The risk being greater than the reward at this point.
I think RA is asking what is that "risk" exactly?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greenberg says governments behind continuation

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg says the Federal Government and its state counterparts have encouraged the game's powerbrokers to keep the 2020 competition going as long as possible.

"Our circumstances are a little different to the AFL, although in saying that we are going to take advice today from both federal and state government, and obviously our health experts," Greenberg said ahead of another Commission meeting on Monday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/21/cor ... t-updates/
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Northern Raider wrote:
edwahu wrote: March 23, 2020, 11:31 am

I think RA is asking what is that "risk" exactly?
Exactly.

Risk of infection? The players are isolated. And if the entire NRL moves into a camp, they will be even more isolated which lowers that risk greatly.

Yes, if a player is infected they'll shut it down. But there's no real reason to do so unless that happens.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

As Bay has said, reputational risk and damage to the game longer term.

I do think the camp thing could work. It could be spun the right way.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If they moved all of the players out to **** nowhere TODAY and kept them isolated I'd be happy with the comp continuing.

But there's just no way they should continue to travel to keep the comp going. People shouldn't be allowed to travel between towns already!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2020, 12:02 pm If they moved all of the players out to **** nowhere TODAY and kept them isolated I'd be happy with the comp continuing.

But there's just no way they should continue to travel to keep the comp going. People shouldn't be allowed to travel between towns already!
Could send them all to Rocky if they can get past your blockade at Gympie.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland closes its borders

Queensland Cabinet has taken the decision to close its borders, plunging the plan for the NRL season to continue - or be relocated to Gladstone into fresh doubt. Even if the NRL did decide to continue, it could have huge ramifications for the Titans, Cowboys and Broncos.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 812d88c6c5

There seems little alternative now but to suspend.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Play it at st gregs. Enough dorms too house all teams and the best footy field going around. Nrl much keep going. Ill be so bored without it and i dont think i can afford raising another child
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, that is surely it. Best they could manage is to tweak the draw and get maybe 1 more round.

Fingers crossed all clubs make it out the other side.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: March 23, 2020, 1:05 pm Play it at st gregs. Enough dorms too house all teams and the best footy field going around. Nrl much keep going. Ill be so bored without it and i dont think i can afford raising another child
Stock Tip: 9 months time, invest in suppliers of baby products.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Apparently players flew into QLD last night?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Season over.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Brew wrote: March 23, 2020, 1:30 pm Apparently players flew into QLD last night?

Somebody reported that the NRL was already aware and had prepared. Running the whole NRL out of the facility at Calliope might be happening very rapidly. Guess we won't have to wait long to find out either way.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I did hear they wanted to get to April 1st so the next quarter of TV money gets paid. If that's the case they could just change the draw and have the QLD based teams play each other again, then call it quits.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: March 23, 2020, 1:30 pm Apparently players flew into QLD last night?

Are you asking us or telling us?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: March 23, 2020, 1:59 pm I did hear they wanted to get to April 1st so the next quarter of TV money gets paid. If that's the case they could just change the draw and have the QLD based teams play each other again, then call it quits.
Warriors will have to drive up the road to make up the 4th team. They're just over the boarder at Kingscliff
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ours didn't. They were training at Braddon today.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

saw a tweet from the Mole that said NRL staff have been told they are on annual leave from tomorrow
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:

Asking for a friend

In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: March 23, 2020, 2:22 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Asking for a friend

Is your friend Ricky Stuart??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 23, 2020, 2:18 pm saw a tweet from the Mole that said NRL staff have been told they are on annual leave from tomorrow
So that confirms the comp is still running
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

So apparently NRL are looking at splitting into two conferences and relocating us to QLD.

Yep.

NRL’s radical two-conference, two-state plan to survive national lockdown

The NRL is in emergency talks about splitting the 16-team competition into conferences to counter the shutdown of the Queensland borders.

As the landscape in Australia changes by the hour, NRL powerbrokers are thrashing out alternative options in a bid to try and keep rugby league afloat.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0aeb921a63
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danny Weidler saying on Nine News that NRL is briefing clubs at 5:45pm and a major announcement at 6pm. Suggests that the NRL may have a change of heart about going on, due to the Queensland border closure.

@9NewsSyd on Twitter

#BREAKING: The @NRL is set to announce it will be SUSPENDING the season. @Danny_Weidler #9News

https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1241970828088131584

NRL set to suspend 2020 season: reports

The NRL is set imminently suspend the 2020 season sources confirm.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 812d88c6c5

Canberra Raiders making Canberra Stadium coronavirus ready: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Good.
This place is woke.