Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: March 22, 2020, 4:52 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 22, 2020, 4:09 pm The AFL was left with no choice with SA and WA effectively "closing their borders", by requiring self isolation for anyone who enters.

If NSW, Victoria, Queensland and the ACT follow, the NRL in all liklihood don't have any choice either. They would have had to take the "Townsville option" earlier to avoid it.

I don't really care what the AFL decide. The NRL will do the right thing for the NRL and I'm sure the rugby league community will support what they decide, as they're showing a great deal of leadership.
Steve, if the NRL was to continue, it would be the only professional sporting code IN THE WORLD still going. I know this is the utopia you have always dreamed of, but you just need to be realistic.

I am now firmly of the belief that continuing now will do more harm for the sport in the long term than the short term gain.
You seem to believe the NRL's decisions revolve around what the AFL does, but they don't. The NRL will get advice from government and medical experts and take the decisions in the best interests of the NRL, its players and clubs. The rugby league community will bind together and get behind whatever the NRL does. They've shown extraordinary leadership.

I personally think the NRL will also soon face no choice, like the AFL, as State and territory governments will close down the borders on the east coast, probably tonight.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Domestic travel restrictions add further turmoil to NRL and Canberra Raiders seasons

Post by -TW- »

Leadership?

They're only continuing to play as they know they'll be broke within 6 weeks

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited by -TW- on March 22, 2020, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Making decisions on the best available information and on medical advice is hardly akin to being a gambling addict on the pokies.

Like all businesses, they will continue to make decisions as information comes to hand or as further restrictions are imposed. Nothing wrong with doing that.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Seiffert82 wrote:Making decisions on the best available information and on medical advice is hardly akin to being a gambling addict on the pokies.

Like all businesses, they will continue to make decisions as information comes to hand or as further restrictions are imposed. Nothing wrong with doing that.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

If a group of 2000 odd people were isolated within a state that had closed its borders and shut down a lot of it's services they are probably the safest group in the country which is kind of what putting all the teams in one location is.. All falls apart when one person gets the virus but i can see at least why they are considering it

Only viable option left otherwise they will have to shut down surely

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:25 pm Leadership?

That's like a gambling addict going back to the machines in the hope of a payout to sustain the lifestyle..

I agree they're pressing on because they know they're screwed otherwise. Not sure your analogy is a good one though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:25 pm Leadership?

That's like a gambling addict going back to the machines in the hope of a payout to sustain the lifestyle..

I agree they're pressing on because they know they're screwed otherwise. Not sure your analogy is a good one though.
Acknowledged, withdrawn

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:02 pm
Bay53 wrote: March 22, 2020, 4:52 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 22, 2020, 4:09 pm The AFL was left with no choice with SA and WA effectively "closing their borders", by requiring self isolation for anyone who enters.

If NSW, Victoria, Queensland and the ACT follow, the NRL in all liklihood don't have any choice either. They would have had to take the "Townsville option" earlier to avoid it.

I don't really care what the AFL decide. The NRL will do the right thing for the NRL and I'm sure the rugby league community will support what they decide, as they're showing a great deal of leadership.
Steve, if the NRL was to continue, it would be the only professional sporting code IN THE WORLD still going. I know this is the utopia you have always dreamed of, but you just need to be realistic.

I am now firmly of the belief that continuing now will do more harm for the sport in the long term than the short term gain.
You seem to believe the NRL's decisions revolve around what the AFL does, but they don't. The NRL will get advice from government and medical experts and take the decisions in the best interests of the NRL, its players and clubs. The rugby league community will bind together and get behind whatever the NRL does. They've shown extraordinary leadership.

I personally think the NRL will also soon face no choice, like the AFL, as State and territory governments will close down the borders on the east coast, probably tonight.
I have thought all along that if one code closed, the other would most likely follow. I don’t think the NRL would be being subservient to the AFL, if the NRL shut down first, I think there would have been extraordinary pressure to for the AFL to do the same.

The fact Fox League have shown the AFL press conference about 4-5 times suggests it has some relevance to Rugby League.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

irvste wrote:If a group of 2000 odd people were isolated within a state that had closed its borders and shut down a lot of it's services they are probably the safest group in the country which is kind of what putting all the teams in one location is.. All falls apart when one person gets the virus but i can see at least why they are considering it

What’s to stop them continuing if that situation arises and they contain it within themselves?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

irvste wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:37 pm If a group of 2000 odd people were isolated within a state that had closed its borders and shut down a lot of it's services they are probably the safest group in the country which is kind of what putting all the teams in one location is.. All falls apart when one person gets the virus but i can see at least why they are considering it

Yes, these people are the least likely workforce to get infected, but the decision may be taken out of their hands.

If the health authorities are genuinely interested in shutting the spread of this virus down, stopping an organisation like the NRL while not closing public service offices would be a cynical and pointless exercise of the highest order.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:
irvste wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:37 pm If a group of 2000 odd people were isolated within a state that had closed its borders and shut down a lot of it's services they are probably the safest group in the country which is kind of what putting all the teams in one location is.. All falls apart when one person gets the virus but i can see at least why they are considering it

Yes, these people are the least likely workforce to get infected, but the decision may be taken out of their hands.

If the health authorities are genuinely interested in shutting the spread of this virus down, stopping an organisation like the NRL while not closing public service offices would be a cynical and pointless exercise of the highest order.
I'd be pretty confident that by the end of the week the majority of the public service will be working remotely

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:49 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

I'd be pretty confident that by the end of the week the majority of the public service will be working remotely

Well, most of the big departments don't have the IT infrastructure to do so. Apparently the ATO have the capacity for 10% of their 20,000 workforce to work from home. There is no way Defence or Agriculture could do it either. Some areas of Social Security can, others can't. Not sure about Health.

It's certainly going to impact. I suspect there will be a good chunk of paid leave given.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

In these situations people are looking for somewhere to direct their anger, rational or not. I don't think being the odd man out is a good position for the NRL to be in.

Maybe in the days of semi professionalism and suburban footy it would be viewed as heroic but not modern players. They will just be painted as greedy and it will the recovery tougher. Even if those saying it will still tune in.

It sucks and some clubs will go to the wall but to me it's at that point now.
Last edited by edwahu on March 22, 2020, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

If, and it is a big if, the season was able to continue the first week of June, we could play out the full season and have the Grand Final the last weekend in November.

That assumes you don’t have a weekend off for Origin. You could still play Origin that weekend but club games would not have Origin players. You could lose another week if you combined the two rounds of four games currently scheduled before Origin 1 and 3.

Only ground that wouldn’t be available is the SCG. Even if the ANZ stadium rebuild does still happen, there is no way the tender process will now be finished to start work this year. Therefore that is available for the finals.

Next year, half the NRL was still going to be going to November in a World Cup, so not inconceivable to play the game to then.

We do that, no memberships need to be refunded, sponsors get the full season, broadcast commitments are fulfilled and everyone, including Jack, gets paid.
Last edited by Bay53 on March 22, 2020, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

To think, about 3 weeks ago the biggest issue in Rugby League was their simply the best ad.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Origin probably will be postseason.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the ANZ redevelopment is scrapped considering they've pumped billions into the economy

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:05 pm In these situations people are looking for somewhere to direct their anger, rational or not. I don't think being the odd man out is a good position for the NRL to be in.

Maybe in the days of semi professionalism and suburban footy it would be viewed as heroic but not modern players. They will just be painted as greedy and it will the recovery tougher. Even if those saying it will still tune in.

Clubs will only go to the wall if the sport as a whole doesn’t adjust to the new realities.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:10 pm
edwahu wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:05 pm In these situations people are looking for somewhere to direct their anger, rational or not. I don't think being the odd man out is a good position for the NRL to be in.

Clubs will only go to the wall if the sport as a whole doesn’t adjust to the new realities.
I'd have money on the RLPA refusing to adjust.

I do hope some of the private money that is around the game steps up at this point.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:09 pm Origin probably will be postseason.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the ANZ redevelopment is scrapped considering they've pumped billions into the economy

Origin - the only guarantee is they will hold off origin until crowds can come. If the NRL is suspended and we are 2-3 months behind then it can probably still be played mid season.

ANZ stadium - I agree but regardless no work will start in 2020.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I reiterate what I said before, unless the NRL do something stupid, not one single person who loves rugby league is not going to stop loving it due Coronavirus. (Hoping that not too many people perish)

This is a disaster for Rugby League but if we adapt, we not only survive, but in time flourish.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:48 pm

How are they the least likely workforce to get infected? You know half of the NRL hooks up with anything that slides into their Instagram DMs. Clubs can’t watch these guys 24/7, it’s a matter of if not when someone gets infected.
On the other hand if another round gets us an extra 13 million then I can see why they are persevering.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote:I reiterate what I said before, unless the NRL do something stupid, not one single person who loves rugby league is not going to stop loving it due Coronavirus. (Hoping that not too many people perish)

This is a disaster for Rugby League but if we adapt, we not only survive, but in time flourish.
I agree with absolutely everything you’ve said in this discussion, Sean. We all love the game, but reality has to sink in sooner or later
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL doesn't have to "fall in line" with the AFL as some posters seem to be suggesting. The NRL is a professional sports organisation with strong leadership and they have been playing on while they have advice that it is safe. I support them and the future of our sport is in their hands. They will be responsible and sensible and I believe the rugby league community will support them. I don't think they will risk anyone's health.

Basically, since last Monday, I have taken the personal decision to pretty much not go anywhere but the supermarket, when I saw the US close bars, cafes and restaurants etc... despite there being no evidence so far of community spread of the virus in the ACT.

I do find the suggestion that the NRL is somehow subservient to the decisions of the AFL... well let's just say I disagree with that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL to consider shifting comp to country Queensland

The NRL will consider relocating the entire competition to country Queensland in a last-ditch bid to save the game from a $500 million hit that threatens to end the game in this country.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e27274eec4
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who is saying that GE?

People are just saying the writing is on the wall for the NRL. It can’t realistically continue.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The first article along the lines I was talking about is already out:

Rugby league looks like it’s putting rugby league first, the nation second, and even the most ardent supporter understands that is not right: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/how-mu ... 54csk.html
Last edited by edwahu on March 22, 2020, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: March 22, 2020, 7:57 pm NRL to consider shifting comp to country Queensland

The NRL will consider relocating the entire competition to country Queensland in a last-ditch bid to save the game from a $500 million hit that threatens to end the game in this country.

Gee - you’d be pretty excited if you lived in that country town without any threat of a killer virus, and all of a sudden 500 city folk moved in for the month :nooo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Prime Minister now announcing close downs...

Restaurants and cafes, clubs, gyms, religous ceremonies and licenced venues to be closed tomorrow from midday. Shopping centres won't be closed. No need to go and panic buy.

Schools... children should go tomorrow. Parents will be able to keep children home. Schools will remain open. Schools will aim to provide distance learning as soon as they are able. Schools will remain open after the end of this term, they will open for the next term. Victoria's term will close on Tuesday. If children remain at home, they should not be allowed to remain free. This term break is not a "holiday", there should be no trips away, no congregating. Families should not travel and they should observe social distancing. Schools will open for the next term, for those children whose parents choose to send them.

National Cabinet to meet again on Tuesday.

Chief Medical Officer...

We have to live differently. It seems many young people don't get it. There have been a significant increase in cases. We have to stop the spread. There have been events where 35 people have picked up the virus. We have to live differently, very differently. We have seen some irresponsible people who have spread the virus. We have to be rigid. If you come home from overseas, you must quarantine for two weeks. No exceptions. We can control, we can contain, but all Australians must contribute.

Risk to children is very low. Consensus view at this time is that schools should remain open.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 22, 2020, 8:10 pm Prime Minister now announcing close downs...

Restaurants and cafes, clubs and licenced venues to be closed tomorrow.

Schools... children should go tomorrow. Parents will be able to keep children home. Schools will remain open. Schools will aim to provide distance learning as soon as they are able. Schools will remain open at the end of this term. Victoria's term will close on Tuesday. If children remain at home, they should not be allowed to remain free. This term break is not a "holiday", there should be no trips away, no congregating. Families should not travel and they should observe social distancing.

That part might tip Nickman over the edge
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The more I think about it and watching AFL 360 who are going through the issues which are exactly the same no matter your feelings about any particular sport or code, I just think there is only one way the NRL can stuff this up - that is to continue playing.

$13 million in the pocket next weekend will cost the sport millions in the long run and destroy all of its integrity.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL clubs under threat as all league clubs and pubs shut from Monday amid national lockdown

The federal and the state governments have ordered clubs, pubs and other venues to close in a bid to limit the spread of the coronavirus which could prove a hammer blow to NRL clubs.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced ‘Stage One’ of the next phase of restrictions due to the coronavirus which will be reviewed in a month’s time.

According to regulations, as of midday Monday, registered and licensed clubs, licensed premises in hotels and pubs, entertainment venues, cinemas, casinos and nightclubs will be closed.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bay53 wrote:The more I think about it and watching AFL 360 who are going through the issues which are exactly the same no matter your feelings about any particular sport or code, I just think there is only one way the NRL can stuff this up - that is to continue playing.

$13 million in the pocket next weekend will cost the sport millions in the long run and destroy all of its integrity.
There is provision in the CBA to cut player wages. The players are just going to have to wear it financially, just like most of the rest of the community.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Prime Minister now announcing close downs...

Restaurants and cafes, clubs, gyms, religous ceremonies and licenced venues to be closed tomorrow from midday. Shopping centres won't be closed. No need to go and panic buy.

Schools... children should go tomorrow. Parents will be able to keep children home. Schools will remain open. Schools will aim to provide distance learning as soon as they are able. Schools will remain open after the end of this term, they will open for the next term. Victoria's term will close on Tuesday. If children remain at home, they should not be allowed to remain free. This term break is not a "holiday", there should be no trips away, no congregating. Families should not travel and they should observe social distancing. Schools will open for the next term, for those children whose parents choose to send them.

Chief Medical Officer...

We have to live differently. It seems many young people don't get it. There have been a significant increase in cases. We have to stop the spread. There have been events where 35 people have picked up the virus. We have to live differently, very differently. We have seen some irresponsible people who have spread the virus. We have to be rigid. If you come home from overseas, you must quarantine for two weeks. No exceptions. We can control, we can contain, but all Australians must contribute.

Risk to children is very low. Consensus view at this time is that schools should remain open.
He straight out bottled it. Recommendation to 'National Cabinet' was much stronger (hence VIC, NSA and ACT going off early).

Should have gone hard, early.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Riaan wrote: March 22, 2020, 6:34 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 22, 2020, 5:48 pm

How are they the least likely workforce to get infected? You know half of the NRL hooks up with anything that slides into their Instagram DMs. Clubs can’t watch these guys 24/7, it’s a matter of if not when someone gets infected.
On the other hand if another round gets us an extra 13 million then I can see why they are persevering.
If these guys are that loose, then I'd suggest they are at more risk of infecting themselves, and others, if they are left to their own devices for a couple of months. At least if they are training and playing under strict supervision there is a real chance they can control themselves for that period.

I understand what you're saying. There is a real reputational risk for the NRL to continue, but I honestly believe the medical risk for the comminity isn't improved in the slightest if the NRL was canned. It could actually be slightly worse if the season was cancelled.

Not everyone will agree. I understand that too.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk