Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans due to coronavirus

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: March 18, 2020, 6:51 pm AFL is going ahead tomorrow.

I think that gives the NRL the confidence to also go ahead.
The NRL hasn’t been sitting back waiting for the AFL in any of this. The NRL is the code showing a bit of leadership and confidence. They don’t need any ratification from the AFL. The AFL has been dithering. And their players are saying they don’t support the AFL plan.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
raiderskater wrote: March 18, 2020, 6:32 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 5:28 pm No known case of community transmission in the ACT, but when they're only testing people who've been overseas or those in contact... and then we know there are large numbers of people with symptoms not being tested...
The first guy was community transmission. Now, they think he brought it back from Sydney. But it's not the point. He hadn't been overseas.

And yes, I know there are large numbers of people with symptoms not being tested. I'm one of them. Fortunately as days progress I am growing more certain I just had a cold. I'm not really a fan of what some doctors are describing this thing does to your lungs.

I don't think we make round 3. As I was saying on a figure skating forum, just last week we were chatting about whether Worlds (meant to start today) would go ahead behind closed doors. Now most of the Americans who were planning on going are ordered to shelter in place and Australians can't leave the country and we're starting to see numbers explosions. That's just in one week. Give it another, and footy will be the last thing on anyone's mind. Even mine.
Yep, I’m one as well. I’ve been off work since Monday. Started with headache, full body ache. Turned into fever last night, feel like someone is sitting in my chest today, like a chest jnfection. Still no sore throat. Spent an hour in the triage line tonight waiting to speak to someone, they said because I had t been overseas or ‘known’ to have been in contact with a carrier there was nothing they could do. Didnt even ask for symptoms.

Im sure it’s nothing, but considering that’s the triage line you would think they would ask??? I’ve been in domestic flights and to public events where know carriers have been...
That's a bit odd. When I went to the doctor today he very deliberately went through the three "test questions".

Have you been o/s in the past two weeks and have symptoms?
Have you been in contact with somebody who has Covid 19, and have symptoms?
Do you have the symptoms; fever, sniffles, respiratory issues?

It's my understanding that if you answer yes to any of these (doesn't have to be all) then they test you?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 7:25 pm

The NRL hasn’t been sitting back waiting for the AFL in any of this. The NRL is the code showing a bit of leadership and confidence. They don’t need any ratification from the AFL. The AFL has been dithering. And their players are saying they don’t support the AFL plan.
Disagree. All sports are watching each other closer than ever. Really to work together than be apart.

It would be very naive to think if something happens in one code with this virus, that it wouldn’t affect other codes.

Of course there is also a common thread in that the pay tv broadcaster and for that matter the streaming broadcaster is the same.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: March 18, 2020, 8:17 pm

Disagree. All sports are watching each other closer than ever. Really to work together than be apart.

It would be very naive to think if something happens in one code with this virus, that it wouldn’t affect other codes.

Of course there is also a common thread in that the pay tv broadcaster and for that matter the streaming broadcaster is the same.
I was expecting you to disagree! ;) But there is no doubt that the NRL has been the code out on the forefront, the whole time. They haven't been waiting for anyone. I've been impressed by Peter V'landys and the response of the ARLC. Lots of leadership shown. And the NRL is the code with all the options still available to them. The AFL is the code that has dithered until one day before their season starts, to decide they'll play.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Brewdle wrote: March 18, 2020, 7:09 pm Premier League considering following the NRL lead https://www.sportbible.com/football/rea ... INPQfo_Bq8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who'd a thunk 'eh!? Someone at EPL HQ did the maths.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The AFL have absolutely been watching the NRL make a decisive decision, while the season is underway. I still have no idea what the logic is behind their 17 game proposal. Makes zero sense.

Play the game until it's unsafe to do so and adapt accordingly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 8:19 pm

I was expecting you to disagree! ;) But there is no doubt that the NRL has been the code out on the forefront, the whole time. They haven't been waiting for anyone. I've been impressed by Peter V'landys and the response of the ARLC. Lots of leadership shown. And the NRL is the code with all the options still available to them. The AFL is the code that has dithered until one day before their season starts, to decide they'll play.
I'd like everyone to sit back and imagine what would be happening if Peter Beattie was still head of the ARLC.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: March 18, 2020, 8:52 pm

I'd like everyone to sit back and imagine what would be happening if Peter Beattie was still head of the ARLC.
We'd be getting a lot of blather but not much else. Greenberg is good on blather, but V'landys seems to be pretty good in a crisis so far.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Seiffert82 wrote:Bold prediction. I believe time will tell that the NRL's response to this situation will be a model for how these extreme circumstances should be handled.

The AFL's half-arsed plan to shorten the season is neither here nor there, and the overseas comps that shut down entirely seemed to do so without a great deal of thought on what the alternatives might look like.

Not a single person has been able to explain to me why it's important to society as a whole that the NRL competition shuts down, other than the 'fact' that 'everyone' is doing it. That's not leadership - that's just panic.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If staff at Woolworths, Coles and a whole lot of other shops around Australia are continuing to work and deal with the public, I’m sure Rugby League players can continue to work in a tightly controlled and hygienically managed environment.

No matter what the situation going forward, many people in many jobs will still have to work, otherwise it’s chaos without police, medical staff, IT systems, Fireman etc etc.

The NRL and players need to manage risk, not try and remove all risks.

I guarantee more players will get Coronavirus if they stop playing in a controlled environment then if they are left to their own devices and suddenly have to manage their health for themselves.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2020, 8:34 pm The AFL have absolutely been watching the NRL make a decisive decision, while the season is underway. I still have no idea what the logic is behind their 17 game proposal. Makes zero sense.

I have no doubt the AFL is watching the NRL and vice versa. By that I mean whether they play each weekend. They are also very much watching the government. Quite simply if Morrison had said this morning they shouldn’t play we wouldn’t be playing this weekend. Similarly if an infection is transmitted in a game or within a club in one code, I guarantee the other code will stop. If a player gets infected from outside, that is a different matter.

On the subject of the 17 game season, first of all it has been talked about before. It is generally felt that a 17 game season where everyone played each other once or 18 games which also allow double ups of local derbies plus a few breaks would produce the best possible football. This is somewhat modelled on the NFL.

Secondly, the AFL clearly believe the comp will stop at some stage. The NRL think they can plot through. No one knows who will be right. I am sure if things go much better than expected the AFL won’t be having a GF in July.

Thirdly, the AFL has to have an end date. Pretty much all their venues are used for cricket and with the T20 World Cup it makes it even harder. The NRL doesn’t have this issue. The grand final could be on New Years Eve or possibly even later. Yes, the planned venue for the GF would be out of action but that would be the only one. There is a very good chance the previous venue will become back available.

Finally, I think the AFL has a bit more cash reserves to cope with the lost revenue.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dithered. What a load of crap. 15 hours ago the government could have shut the whole country down.

I guarantee you the NRL are just on the edge. They just probably do it with a bit more bravado.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: March 18, 2020, 10:28 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2020, 8:34 pm The AFL have absolutely been watching the NRL make a decisive decision, while the season is underway. I still have no idea what the logic is behind their 17 game proposal. Makes zero sense.

I have no doubt the AFL is watching the NRL and vice versa. By that I mean whether they play each weekend. They are also very much watching the government. Quite simply if Morrison had said this morning they shouldn’t play we wouldn’t be playing this weekend. Similarly if an infection is transmitted in a game or within a club in one code, I guarantee the other code will stop. If a player gets infected from outside, that is a different matter.

On the subject of the 17 game season, first of all it has been talked about before. It is generally felt that a 17 game season where everyone played each other once or 18 games which also allow double ups of local derbies plus a few breaks would produce the best possible football. This is somewhat modelled on the NFL.

Secondly, the AFL clearly believe the comp will stop at some stage. The NRL think they can plot through. No one knows who will be right. I am sure if things go much better than expected the AFL won’t be having a GF in July.

Thirdly, the AFL has to have an end date. Pretty much all their venues are used for cricket and with the T20 World Cup it makes it even harder. The NRL doesn’t have this issue. The grand final could be on New Years Eve or possibly even later. Yes, the planned venue for the GF would be out of action but that would be the only one. There is a very good chance the previous venue will become back available.

Finally, I think the AFL has a bit more cash reserves to cope with the lost revenue.
Thanks 53, the grounds issue does make sense. To that extent giving all teams the chance to play each other once makes sense, should the season be reduced.

I don't think the Federal Government is in the business of shutting industries down unless there is a public benefit in doing so; so I suspect that is a low risk for high level sport, if they follow the other guidelines. I just find it interesting that the AFL has already decided to reduce the length of their season before a ball has been kicked in anger.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 18, 2020, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bay53 wrote:

The NRL has the same issue, the scg is being used for the world cup.

So unless the GF is being played at Bankwest then it needs to be done before it starts

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: March 18, 2020, 10:34 pm

Dithered. What a load of crap. 15 hours ago the government could have shut the whole country down.

I guarantee you the NRL are just on the edge. They just probably do it with a bit more bravado.
If the government shuts shop, everyone does. The AFL doesn’t have any more professionalism, gumption or organisation than the NRL.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: March 18, 2020, 10:25 pm If staff at Woolworths, Coles and a whole lot of other shops around Australia are continuing to work and deal with the public, I’m sure Rugby League players can continue to work in a tightly controlled and hygienically managed environment.

No matter what the situation going forward, many people in many jobs will still have to work, otherwise it’s chaos without police, medical staff, IT systems, Fireman etc etc.

The NRL and players need to manage risk, not try and remove all risks.

I guarantee more players will get Coronavirus if they stop playing in a controlled environment then if they are left to their own devices and suddenly have to manage their health for themselves.
I think that’s a fair point. I was originally hoping they would play for purely selfish reasons (I want to watch footy) but was fully expecting the comp to be stopped. I’m now thinking it makes sense to persevere and manage the risk as best as possible.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: March 18, 2020, 6:50 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 5:28 pm No known case of community transmission in the ACT, but when they're only testing people who've been overseas or those in contact... and then we know there are large numbers of people with symptoms not being tested...
The first guy was community transmission. Now, they think he brought it back from Sydney. But it's not the point. He hadn't been overseas.

And yes, I know there are large numbers of people with symptoms not being tested. I'm one of them. Fortunately as days progress I am growing more certain I just had a cold. I'm not really a fan of what some doctors are describing this thing does to your lungs.

I don't think we make round 3. As I was saying on a figure skating forum, just last week we were chatting about whether Worlds (meant to start today) would go ahead behind closed doors. Now most of the Americans who were planning on going are ordered to shelter in place and Australians can't leave the country and we're starting to see numbers explosions. That's just in one week. Give it another, and footy will be the last thing on anyone's mind. Even mine.
Yep, I’m one as well. I’ve been off work since Monday. Started with headache, full body ache. Turned into fever last night, feel like someone is sitting in my chest today, like a chest jnfection. Still no sore throat. Spent an hour in the triage line tonight waiting to speak to someone, they said because I had t been overseas or ‘known’ to have been in contact with a carrier there was nothing they could do. Didnt even ask for symptoms.

Im sure it’s nothing, but considering that’s the triage line you would think they would ask??? I’ve been in domestic flights and to public events where know carriers have been...
Just try and get healthy and stay at home, mate. If you DO have it, it’s very unlikely it’ll be serious, but the important thing is that you don’t spread it around the community.
That’s the plan for now, and I’m going to try and get in touch with my gp today. I just want to understand if/how much I should be concerned about what I can and can’t do. If it isn’t the big one, I can just social distance, which with a family etc is a whole lot easier than quarantine...

It’s unlikely it’s the big one, but I don’t want o be that **** who ended up having it and spreading it everywhere...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Reduce costs to survive': ACT government's message to Canberra Raiders

The ACT government has warned Canberra's premier sporting teams to "reduce costs to survive".

"This is a once in a century economic shock and no level of federal government or ACT government intervention will be able to fully offset the impacts of this global crisis on the sports industry. The football codes and individual football teams will need to look seriously at significantly reducing their costs if they are to survive this.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: March 18, 2020, 8:16 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

That's a bit odd. When I went to the doctor today he very deliberately went through the three "test questions".

It's my understanding that if you answer yes to any of these (doesn't have to be all) then they test you?

No. They'll only test you if you answer yes to one of the first two. Trust me, I was in my Dr's office Sunday with a chest-rattling cough, temp over the COVID mark, a very sore throat, and sniffling, my doc was on the phone to the CDC, and as soon as I said I hadn't been overseas or had known contact with a known case the CDC just were not interested.

The numbers will have a false sense of security about them because they just are not testing enough people.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

How much risk are the players put in by continuing to play? I understand that the vast majority of us should be taking on a quarantine mentality, but keeping one professional league running thats filled with extreme low risk elite athletes wouldnt make a dent on the curve would it?
The point that some of these players have elderly family members and they could pass it on to them is ridiculous. They should be maintaining a distance from them at this time regardless.
Dont delete this GE
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I also see the NRL as a job for the players and many more.
I still have to work , many of us are all still working . The players should continue to work whilst taking all the precautions and necessary health advice.
The players can self isolate like the rest of us can. Life has to go on.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

raiderskater wrote: March 19, 2020, 7:06 am
Coastalraider wrote:

No. They'll only test you if you answer yes to one of the first two. Trust me, I was in my Dr's office Sunday with a chest-rattling cough, temp over the COVID mark, a very sore throat, and sniffling, my doc was on the phone to the CDC, and as soon as I said I hadn't been overseas or had known contact with a known case the CDC just were not interested.

The numbers will have a false sense of security about them because they just are not testing enough people.
Who is the CDC?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: March 19, 2020, 7:26 am How much risk are the players put in by continuing to play? I understand that the vast majority of us should be taking on a quarantine mentality, but keeping one professional league running thats filled with extreme low risk elite athletes wouldnt make a dent on the curve would it?
The point that some of these players have elderly family members and they could pass it on to them is ridiculous. They should be maintaining a distance from them at this time regardless.
On that last point, most people in the high risk area should be practising their own social distancing. Much easier to keep away from other people than try to make other people stay away from you. My in-laws are both in their 70's and normally pick the kids up after school while we're at work. Thats changed now and I've taken on the afternoon school duties. Beyond that they're keeping clear of crowds and close public contact. Doesn't mean they become hermits. Can still go to the beach, talk walks etc.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: March 19, 2020, 7:06 am The numbers will have a false sense of security about them because they just are not testing enough people.
I'm hearing this a lot. Thing is they have limited resources for testing so health services have to be selective and focus on the more likely cases. At any given time there tens of thousands of people with a cold/cough/flu and most are looking to get tested. Of the people that are meeting the test criteria less than 1 in 50 are coming back with positives. If they start testing everybody showing the common symptoms then this ratio could drop even further. Therefore the opposite could be true and a "False sense of security" is more likely a false sense of alarm.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2020, 5:36 pm
Riaan wrote: March 18, 2020, 5:28 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2020, 4:13 pm
Riaan wrote: March 18, 2020, 4:03 pm
The Nickman wrote: March 18, 2020, 3:45 pm I don't have any "issue" all I've done is stated repeatedly that I don't think we'll get to Round 3. And we're not in a different situation to ANY of the countries who are "a bit out of control", we're just further behind them on the curve.

At the start of the week we had 200 cases, yesterday it was 450, today we're currently over 550 and climbing, by the weekend we'll have a thousand cases. That's completely consistent with literally every other country at the rate they increased their cases. But this time next week we'll have somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 cases and the government will be locking everything down that they can.

Apologies if you've misconstrued any of my posting to suggest that I think they should shut the comp down now, I still don't understand how you've interpreted that message from my posts.

And my reason for saying your opinion is "way, way off the mark" is due to the many posts you seem to have on the topic pointing to this whole thing being a bit of a beat-up and a bit of an exaggeration. That's simply not the case. This is serious, and there's a reason why our government is moving as quickly as they are.
Spot on, some are people deluded if they think the NRL should carry on through this.
Even as a business with a duty of care to their employees I'm pretty shocked that the leadership is carrying on like this. As I said before, enjoy this weekends footy because you probably will be watching replays for the next few months.
Do you understand the basic concept that the players don't get paid if they don't play? Do you even understand that these guys are at greater risk of dying or ending up in a wheelchair by playing the game of rugby league compared to catching the virus playing the game?

Do you also understand that they are probably at greater risk of catching the virus mixing with the general public if they are all told to go home and sit on their **** for 6 months?

How would you respond if your boss told you to go home and not get paid for six months as a "duty of care" for your wellbeing?
Mate, the company I work for sent everyone home this afternoon to work from home for the foreseeable future. Casual staff have been told to expect reduced hours for the next few months or no work at all, So I understand all your points quite well.
Get your head out of the sand, this is a serious situation and I think it’s only a matter of time before a player or club official tests positive and that will be the end of the season anyway.
Are you still getting paid?

Were you asked to take an indefinite period of time off without pay?

You seem quite concerned about the players welfare. For their benefit, and for the rest of society, would you take an indefinite period of time off your job without pay? Maybe you should donate part of your salary to the casual staff.

Mate, I'm not sure I'm the one with my head in the sand.
Nah not yet but I wouldn't rule it out, I'm probably safe for the next couple of months and then its probably going to get interesting if the country go into partial shut down. This thing is massive, I just listened to a interview with the Mayor of New York and he was saying they are making decisions on the basis of keeping as many people alive as possible. Hopefully it won't be as bad here but that looks unlikely.
This seasons on borrowed time brother, the NRL would be better to try and renegotiate a shortened season from the end of August to the end of October.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Today's going to be a pretty critical day in Australia to see how our latest measures are taking effect.

We'll have a fair idea where this thing is going by this time tomorrow morning.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Thanks Nickman. Looking forward to your updates, very grateful for your expertise.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: March 19, 2020, 10:02 am Thanks Nickman. Looking forward to your updates, very grateful for your expertise.
I just hope he puts it in idiot speak for those of us on a lesser playing surface.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 19, 2020, 10:07 am
Azza wrote: March 19, 2020, 10:02 am Thanks Nickman. Looking forward to your updates, very grateful for your expertise.
I just hope he puts it in idiot speak for those of us on a lesser playing surface.
No No No. That would be a waste of his precious time, there are many in the community that need his expertise for more important things related to this pandemic.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Smurfette wrote: March 19, 2020, 7:35 am
raiderskater wrote: March 19, 2020, 7:06 am
Coastalraider wrote:

Who is the CDC?
ACT Communicable Disease Control.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: March 19, 2020, 9:59 am Today's going to be a pretty critical day in Australia to see how our latest measures are taking effect.

The latest measures are only a few days old. Given the time gap between when people potentially contracted the virus to showing symptoms, getting tested and receiving results it could take several more days to see if they've had any impact.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Northern Raider wrote: March 19, 2020, 11:13 am
The Nickman wrote: March 19, 2020, 9:59 am Today's going to be a pretty critical day in Australia to see how our latest measures are taking effect.

The latest measures are only a few days old. Given the time gap between when people potentially contracted the virus to showing symptoms, getting tested and receiving results it could take several more days to see if they've had any impact.
Are you new? Nickman is the resident expert around here on all things coronavirus. I think he'd have a better idea than some other random clown.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

Just a thought and happy to be corrected if wrong.

I have a memory a few years back where there was a particularly bad flu season, and a number of clubs where particularly hard hit. At that stage I'm sure I recall that the medical opinion was that as these are finely tuned athletes, they are often impacted harder and more susceptible than others.

I also recall approx. 20/30 years ago glandular fever nearly wiped out the Bulldogs squad and they had to go into emergency quarantine to stop the whole squad from getting it.....admittedly, hygiene back then was nothing like it is now.
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raider Azz wrote: March 19, 2020, 11:38 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 19, 2020, 11:13 am

Are you new? Nickman is the resident expert around here on all things coronavirus. I think he'd have a better idea than some other random clown.
Still have to keep him on his toes
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

raiderskater wrote: March 19, 2020, 11:09 am
Smurfette wrote: March 19, 2020, 7:35 am
Who is the CDC?
ACT Communicable Disease Control.
Thanks. Kept thinking of the US one.