Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by raiderskater »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2020, 1:16 pm Yet we have Karen on Facebook telling people the whole thing is a media beatup and the flu kills just as many people.
um, rude, I am telling people it is NOT a media beatup and I think our government has actually handled this quite poorly and slowly.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

raiderskater wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2020, 1:16 pm Yet we have Karen on Facebook telling people the whole thing is a media beatup and the flu kills just as many people.
um, rude, I am telling people it is NOT a media beatup and I think our government has actually handled this quite poorly and slowly.
He's not talking about you...

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Maybe Greenberg should go on another one of his junkets and see what the other leagues are doing around the world.
WorkChoice
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: March 16, 2020, 1:42 pm
raiderskater wrote:

Haha somebody has dubbied here and I'm not quite sure who...
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

raiderskater wrote:

Yes, I know.

But I would rather we call these people idiots like they are and not sully my perfectly nice name.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2020, 2:05 pm
raiderskater wrote:

Haha somebody has dubbied here and I'm not quite sure who...
Potential double dubby situation. A rare yet memorable occurrence.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans due to coronavirus

Post by greeneyed »

Todd Greenberg: A positive test wouldn't mean season shuts down

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said contingency plans were being explored to keep the competition operating in the event more than one club is sent into lockdown by a player or official testing positive for coronavirus.

Similarly, head office is also weighing up the rest of the competition continuing with potential for byes or split rounds being introduced should the Warriors return to New Zealand after this weekend and their players be put into a mandatory 14-day isolation period.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/16/gre ... huts-down/

Todd Greenberg and Graham Annesley media conference: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/16/gra ... g-round-1/

NRL coronavirus news and NRL fan update: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/16/nrl ... s-updates/
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

AFL to cut their season to 17 games. I think the difference between the two codes has been stark. AFL looking so much more professional.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I do wonder whether winning a 17 round premiership will carry the same weight as a fully fledged one.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: March 16, 2020, 7:57 pm I do wonder whether winning a 17 round premiership will carry the same weight as a fully fledged one.

Not the anyone else, but to the fans of the club that won it.... try telling them it counts for nothing.
And ultimately that's all that counts. The fans experience it... ive got a mate who's a big Storm fan, he was there for their GF, he was there for the celebration in Melbourne there after, and he doesnt give a **** the history books dont record it, the memories dont fade, experiecning that moment doesnt change
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

AFL haven't started their season yet. They've had a bit more time to respond.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: March 16, 2020, 7:07 pm AFL to cut their season to 17 games. I think the difference between the two codes has been stark. AFL looking so much more professional.
How so?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: March 16, 2020, 7:07 pm AFL to cut their season to 17 games. I think the difference between the two codes has been stark. AFL looking so much more professional.
Why is that more professional? I'll answer... it's not.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote:
Why is that more professional? I'll answer... it's not.
Yeah I don't really understand how that is necessarily "more professional"

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For those telling us just last night that the world is over-reacting to COVID-19 and that all this is some sort of panic driven by Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and mobile phones... This is what's happened today.

"Italy saw 368 deaths bring its total to 1,809, Spain recorded 97 more deaths for a total of 288, and France reported 29 deaths, giving a total of 120."

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51901976
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Extremely scary.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Kids rugby and touch seasons cancelled up in QLD today, and I imagine countrywide.

TR boys out on a ledge, refusing to be talked down :(

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2020, 8:33 pm For those telling us just last night that the world is over-reacting to COVID-19 and that all this is some sort of panic driven by Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and mobile phones... This is what's happened today.

"Italy saw 368 deaths bring its total to 1,809, Spain recorded 97 more deaths for a total of 288, and France reported 29 deaths, giving a total of 120."

I am genuinely curious how this take comes from the same person who's like "RUGBY LEAGUE MUST GO ON"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2020, 8:51 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2020, 8:33 pm For those telling us just last night that the world is over-reacting to COVID-19 and that all this is some sort of panic driven by Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and mobile phones... This is what's happened today.

I am genuinely curious how this take comes from the same person who's like "RUGBY LEAGUE MUST GO ON"
You clearly haven't been reading my posts closely enough. I've been saying the NRL should do everything recommended. I've never said this isn't a serious problem. But I also believe the games should continue while it is safe. I'm quite happy to see games proceed behind closed doors, in fact, I think it is critical that they do, while it is safe. Because the game quickly will not be viable. I've never said that the NRL and the government shouldn't take this seriously. Frankly, I'm in one or two vulnerable categories myself.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: March 16, 2020, 8:48 pm Kids rugby and touch seasons cancelled up in QLD today, and I imagine countrywide.

TR boys out on a ledge, refusing to be talked down :(
Water polo canned right on the eve of finals. I have a very unhappy daughter there. Junior Rugby League was about to start this weekend for the young fella. Just hoping that can start in a month or so. I need an outlet for his aggression.
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

Hey guys research event 201. Taken place on October 18 2019. It "simulated" a coronavirus outbreak done by the Bill and Melinda gates foundation on the same day that the military games were held in Wuhan.

Bill Gates also appeared in a recent netflix documentry called the next pandemic which the coronavirus was spoken about before this "outbreak".

If your not aware coronavirus is something thats been around since 1965 at the minimum. The sars outbreak was a coronavirus outbreak in 2002.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raider 86 wrote:Hey guys research event 201. Taken place on October 18 2019. It "simulated" a coronavirus outbreak done by the Bill and Melinda gates foundation on the same day that the military games were held in Wuhan.

Bill Gates also appeared in a recent netflix documentry called the next pandemic which the coronavirus was spoken about before this "outbreak".

If your not aware coronavirus is something thats been around since 1965 at the minimum. The sars outbreak was a coronavirus outbreak in 2002.
So you’re saying Bill Gates invented this disease in order to... ?

What exactly?
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by raider 86 »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2020, 10:20 pm
raider 86 wrote:Hey guys research event 201. Taken place on October 18 2019. It "simulated" a coronavirus outbreak done by the Bill and Melinda gates foundation on the same day that the military games were held in Wuhan.

What exactly?
I'm just pointing out the facts. The non disputable facts.

Notice how I said since "1965". Gates was a kid in 65. I said his and Melindas foundation ran a simulation. Im going to assume you havent looked it up.

Do your own research before jumping to conclusions.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 16, 2020, 8:14 pm
How so?
I just think the whole approach of the AFL has been far more professional. Listening to Gill McLachlan tonight, he seemed so much more across the effect this is having on the community that the NRL leaders have. I think it has been bad form the NRL immediately calling on the federal government for money. I think the AFL have been much more open to the realisation that compromises will need to be made than just worrying about the bottom line. The truth is all sports will need to adjust to the lost revenue from this. It may mean the growth of the game will need to be slowed for the next few years.

I get that the AFL weren’t playing on the weekend so didn’t have to deal with the immediate nor do they have a team from another country. I have been critical in the past that some in the AFL administration have wanted to be more statesman than sports official, but when a statesman was needed I think they are delivering.

Just my opinion.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: March 16, 2020, 7:57 pm I do wonder whether winning a 17 round premiership will carry the same weight as a fully fledged one.
I don’t think there is any doubt it will. Perhaps if those 17 games are compromised with some teams having half a side, playing a against a bunch of top ups, or games played with 10 min quarters to play every couple of days it might be a bit different.

Up until 1971, every season was 18 games. There is an argument that it has actually become more fairer with each side playing each other once.

Amazingly, I think it was 1916 that Fitzroy won birth the Wooden Spoon and premiership in the same year. It was during World War 1 and they only had 4 teams. They played some home and away games and Fitzroy came last. All 4 teams played in the finals and Fitzroy turned their form around to beat them all.

That is still counted as a premiership. A reduced NRL season would be the same.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raider 86 wrote: March 16, 2020, 10:36 pm

What exactly?
Is there a point here?

Notice how I said since "1965". Gates was a kid in 65. I said his and Melindas foundation ran a simulation. Im going to assume you havent looked it up.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
raider 86 wrote: March 16, 2020, 10:36 pm

What exactly?
Is there a point here?

I... I don't know what just happened

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm not quite sure what the NRL have done wrong here. All their decisions have been based on rational medical advice.

Also not sure why the AFL concluding a 17 round competition actually achieves anything different to the NRL.

Both competitions are going ahead until medical advice says otherwise. As Peter V'landys has pointed out, these athletes and officials have had the best available support and advice available to them of almost anyone in the world.

It makes absolutely no sense that a sporting competition played behind closed doors should be called off for no reason, while bus drivers, teachers, aged care staff, waiters, centrelink officers and every other neville nobody who interacts with hundreds of people a day are expected to keep the economy going.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Super League suspended

The Rugby Football League and Super League Europe today announce a suspension of fixtures in the Betfred Super League season, initially until 3rd April, during which time the season’s structure and fixture rescheduling will be considered.

This follows the latest Government advice regarding social contact and mass gatherings.

The Super League clubs discussed a range of contingency plans with the RFL at their board meeting in Huddersfield, and the situation will be reviewed with broadcasters and sponsors throughout the initial suspension.

These changes will also apply across other competitions including the Championship, League 1, Betfred Women’s Super League and the community game, with the RFL to have further discussions of the implications at meetings of Championship and League 1 clubs and community board over the next couple of days.

Joint statement from Robert Elstone, the Executive Chairman of Super League Europe, and Ralph Rimmer, CEO of Rugby Football League:

“These are unprecedented times, and they present significant financial and commercial implications for Rugby League, which will be further considered during the period of suspension.

“Super League is also an international competition, and consideration has to be given to our clubs in Canada and France, particularly around travel restrictions and scheduling fixtures.

“Player welfare and maintaining the integrity of the competition are key concerns moving forward. Equally our responsibilities to Rugby League communities remain front of mind for all of us.

“The whole country is facing major challenges – and the support of our fans, partners and stakeholders is needed now more than ever before.”

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... suspension
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The hunt for bog roll has become bigger than the hunt for Osama Bin Laden..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raider 86 wrote:

What exactly?

I haven’t jumped to any conclusions, I just asked you to explain your post.

Seems you’re unable to, but that’s ok too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans due to coronavirus

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:I'm not quite sure what the NRL have done wrong here. All their decisions have been based on rational medical advice.

Also not sure why the AFL concluding a 17 round competition actually achieves anything different to the NRL.

Both competitions are going ahead until medical advice says otherwise. As Peter V'landys has pointed out, these athletes and officials have had the best available support and advice available to them of almost anyone in the world.

It makes absolutely no sense that a sporting competition played behind closed doors should be called off for no reason, while bus drivers, teachers, aged care staff, waiters, centrelink officers and every other neville nobody who interacts with hundreds of people a day are expected to keep the economy going.
Really? It makes no sense to you that essential services which are required for the country to continue to function are still able to continue, yet non-essential activities and large public gatherings are being put on hold in a vain attempt to stop the spread of a virus that has proven the world over to be very, very difficult to contain?

I usually agree with most things you post, Seiff, but I’m afraid in relation to the coronarivus, your opinion is going to be proven to be way, way off the mark.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: March 17, 2020, 6:44 am
Seiffert82 wrote:I'm not quite sure what the NRL have done wrong here. All their decisions have been based on rational medical advice.

Really? It makes no sense to you that essential services which are required for the country to continue to function are still able to continue, yet non-essential activities and large public gatherings are being put on hold in a vain attempt to stop the spread of a virus that has proven the world over to be very, very difficult to contain?

I usually agree with most things you post, Seiff, but I’m afraid in relation to the coronarivus, your opinion is going to be proven to be way, way off the mark.
Since when is a game played behind closed doors a large public gathering? The medical advice is to stop gatherings of more than 500 people. An NRL game wouldn't have a quarter of that.

If everyone involved is fit and healthy, on what logical basis should these games not go ahead? Under the circumstances it provides the country with a public good - providing entertainment that encourages people to stay at home and watch TV.

I don't understand your logic. Should we also shut down restaurants and cafes and lock us in to a massive recession? Stop all mining and manufacturing? Building? Honestly - what other non-essential services should be shut down. You must have an opinion on what other industries can be told to shut their doors for an indefinite period.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 17, 2020, 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's odd that the AFL has already committed to a 17 game season when they have absolutely no idea how their competition could be affected. I wouldn't say they have managed the situation better at all.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: March 17, 2020, 6:57 am

It's odd that the AFL has already committed to a 17 game season when they have absolutely no idea how their competition could be affected. I wouldn't say they have managed the situation better at all.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
They also have no idea what to do with the AFLW season already underway.