Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by edwahu »

BadnMean wrote: March 15, 2020, 9:51 am NRL owe the Warriors a huge debt of gratitude here. Hope they stop treating them like an afterthought from now on.

They had every right to avoid the infection and head home to relieved families and a (at present) much lower risk in NZ. The disease seems to involve some lung damage, even in well recovered patients so it's a risk for a healthy professional athlete.

Going to make next round a hard game. Any coach worth his salt will turn that situation into "Make all the time away from the family, your worried mum at home etc all worthwhile. Take it onto the pitch..."

I'm not sure Vlandy's can play the "players need the money" card- aren't their contracts guaranteed? The relatively small number on match payments could be compensated (insurance?).
I'd bet the comp would've continued with a extra bye if the Warriors went home.

As for the contracts, they arent insured against a pandemic. There is an act of god clause in the CBA and they will lose a big chunk of money if the NRLs revenue is 10m+ lower than forecast.

Beyond that if the club's and game have no income they won't be getting paid.

Like I said earlier, this whole thing shows why the NRL desperately needs some real assets.
Last edited by edwahu on March 15, 2020, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: March 15, 2020, 9:51 am NRL owe the Warriors a huge debt of gratitude here. Hope they stop treating them like an afterthought from now on.

They had every right to avoid the infection and head home to relieved families and a (at present) much lower risk in NZ. The disease seems to involve some lung damage, even in well recovered patients so it's a risk for a healthy professional athlete.

Going to make next round a hard game. Any coach worth his salt will turn that situation into "Make all the time away from the family, your worried mum at home etc all worthwhile. Take it onto the pitch..."

I'm not sure Vlandy's can play the "players need the money" card- aren't their contracts guaranteed? The relatively small number on match payments could be compensated (insurance?).
The CBA apparently includes a provision to renegotiate the salary cap in this sort of situation... but the bottom line is that the clubs and NRL will be insolvent, quite quickly. The games stop, the money from the broadcasters stop... there is quickly no money left to pay the players. There is no insurance for this situation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2020, 9:28 am The funniest part of this pressa is listening to PV'Landys say "rugby league"

Anybody else..?
Omg

Rugbugh League
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The nrl should definitely step in and foot (or exempt it from the football operations cap at least so the warriors can do so), what will ultimate be a pretty modest bill to get any immediate family who wish to temporarily relocate into some serviced apartments so the playing group isn’t isolated from wives and children

Not all of them may choose to take that offer up, but those that do should be able to have their families close by

Not that I think this will matter for long, I’ll be stunned if the competition isn’t put on hold sometime in the next 2-3 weeks
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I wonder whether the club's with big leagues clubs like ours would pay the players anyway? Technically is the contract with the Raiders or the NRL?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

julian87 wrote: March 15, 2020, 10:00 am
-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2020, 9:28 am The funniest part of this pressa is listening to PV'Landys say "rugby league"

Anybody else..?
Omg

Rugbugh League
Massive Rugbugh League fan...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: March 15, 2020, 10:02 am I wonder whether the club's with big leagues clubs like ours would pay the players anyway? Technically is the contract with the Raiders or the NRL?
Player contracts are with the clubs. The salary cap is more than covered by the annual grant from the NRL, which is funded by the broadcast deal. Grants from leagues clubs these days are small beer, compared to the annual NRL grant for football clubs. It's possible the clubs can lean on leagues clubs to some degree... but the licensed club industry is itself under pressure, and they are going to be hit as well by people choosing not to congregate at them. They probably won't have the funds to keep their football clubs going for long. They'll have their own obligations to keep the licensed club business solvent and viable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: March 15, 2020, 10:00 am The nrl should definitely step in and foot (or exempt it from the football operations cap at least so the warriors can do so), what will ultimate be a pretty modest bill to get any immediate family who wish to temporarily relocate into some serviced apartments so the playing group isn’t isolated from wives and children

Not all of them may choose to take that offer up, but those that do should be able to have their families close by

Not that I think this will matter for long, I’ll be stunned if the competition isn’t put on hold sometime in the next 2-3 weeks
Yeah, that's the least they can do. Even staring down the barrel of a financial catastrophe. Warriors need some additional assistance for this sacrifice.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Each club is being granted 400k

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Smurfette wrote: March 15, 2020, 9:37 am

Anybody else..?
😂 I noticed too. Reminds me of a statistics lecturer I had who couldn’t say “statistics” properly.

I have been impressed with V’Landys though. Very sensible, comes across as very measured, and is managing some of the dumb, hysteria-driven questions much better than I would.
Possible we had the same lecturer. Apparently it's pronounced stastistics. It's amazing how many times the word stastistc can be said in a statistics lecture. :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2020, 9:57 am

The CBA apparently includes a provision to renegotiate the salary cap in this sort of situation... but the bottom line is that the clubs and NRL will be insolvent, quite quickly. The games stop, the money from the broadcasters stop... there is quickly no money left to pay the players. There is no insurance for this situation.
Exactly. There's no magic money pot to ensure life goes on for everyone regardless of whether the games are played or not.

The players, clubs and officials will be supported by the best possible medical and health care, under the best available advice. Under the circumstances, these are the people least likely to catch the virus, compared to the rest of the community.

There is no reason to shut the comp down, unless absolutely necessary. Arrangements with the draw can be made even if the Warriors are ultimately excluded.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 15, 2020, 11:44 am

Anybody else..?
😂 I noticed too. Reminds me of a statistics lecturer I had who couldn’t say “statistics” properly.

I have been impressed with V’Landys though. Very sensible, comes across as very measured, and is managing some of the dumb, hysteria-driven questions much better than I would.
Possible we had the same lecturer. Apparently it's pronounced stastistics. It's amazing how many times the word stastistc can be said in a statistics lecture. :lol:
I think mine also used to drop the first t. Something like sastistics. Completely wrong anyway. I’d be questioning my chosen field :lol:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Players should be asked to somewhat isolate themselves and they should have doctors testing all players regularly. If the comp dies, so do a lot of careers. It’s way more than just a game and right now, the show must go on.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

@Azza the NRL to collapse by May.

Seriously sounds like they're in a dire financial position from that presser.

Me and wife definitely had a laugh at the pronunciation of rugby league also.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:NRL owe the Warriors a huge debt of gratitude here. Hope they stop treating them like an afterthought from now on.

Going to make next round a hard game. Any coach worth his salt will turn that situation into "Make all the time away from the family, your worried mum at home etc all worthwhile. Take it onto the pitch...".
Stephen Kearney isn't that coach. Watching his press conference yesterday..... geeez ... He can't possibly see out this season. Talking up the positives yesterday - there wasn't a single positive. Even RTS looked disinterested and he has been brilliant the last two years despite the plod around him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Smurfette wrote: March 15, 2020, 11:55 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 15, 2020, 11:44 am

Anybody else..?

I think mine also used to drop the first t. Something like sastistics. Completely wrong anyway. I’d be questioning my chosen field :lol:
:lol: So distracting! It's just about the only thing I remember out of those lectures. Sounds very familiar.

Actually, from memory mine was an economics lecturer - but the word sastistics definitely came up a thousand times during those lectures. Cracked me up.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 15, 2020, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:14 pm
BadnMean wrote:NRL owe the Warriors a huge debt of gratitude here. Hope they stop treating them like an afterthought from now on.

Going to make next round a hard game. Any coach worth his salt will turn that situation into "Make all the time away from the family, your worried mum at home etc all worthwhile. Take it onto the pitch...".
Stephen Kearney isn't that coach. Watching his press conference yesterday..... geeez ... He can't possibly see out this season. Talking up the positives yesterday - there wasn't a single positive. Even RTS looked disinterested and he has been brilliant the last two years despite the plod around him.

Didn't hear the interview, but he's been struggling for years.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

There’s a certain example you set by recruiting and grossly overpaying a player like Adam Blair.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:@Azza the NRL to collapse by May.

I can't think of any business that could survive long term if their major revenue source gets cut

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:00 pm Players should be asked to somewhat isolate themselves and they should have doctors testing all players regularly. If the comp dies, so do a lot of careers. It’s way more than just a game and right now, the show must go on.
Not practical. This goes well beyond the game and you cannot have resources like testing kits and doctors taken up by a sports code just to keep it afloat.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:29 pm

I can't think of any business that could survive long term if their major revenue source gets cut

Concern is the knock on effect. NRL generates revenue for the entire code. If support dries up at local junior club level we could see a some of them go to the wall too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC and NRL COVID-19 update

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and National Rugby League (NRL) can provide the following update about the game’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership.

However, the Commission stressed that given the fluidity of the situation, all options are on the table and it will continue to act on expert advice, with the health and safety of its players the paramount consideration.

In order to continue to have the best expert advice, the ARLC has commissioned a biosecurity and pandemic expert to determine the best practices to minimise the risk of players being infected. The ARLC acknowledges that future options may include suspending games or isolating players.

In the interim, the NRL Telstra Premiership Season will continue in Round Two with stadiums closed to the general public.

The New Zealand Warriors will relocate to Kingscliff for one week while further work is done on the competition. Their home game against the Canberra Raiders will be played on the Gold Coast.

The NRL will continue to examine short and long term options to assist our clubs in remaining financially viable during this period.

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys said all options remained on the table regarding the completion of the 2020 season.

“All options remain on the table. We will continue to play but we will continue to act on the best and most up to date advice from authorities,” Mr V’landys said.

“The decisions we make today may change tomorrow as the situation is fluid and changing by the hour. My commitment is we will continue to listen to expert advice, be agile, and be ready to move in any direction necessary.

“I can’t stress enough that our game has never faced such challenges. The longer it takes the more pressure on our financial viability. It will have catastrophic consequences to the finances of the game.

“An Australia without rugby league is not Australia.”

Mr Greenberg said the NRL was committed to working with the 16 Clubs to manage the game’s response in the best interests of all involved.

“The rugby league community is a strong team and we will work together to get through this, ” Mr Greenberg said.

“The game has never faced anything like this before and we will do everything we can to keep our players healthy and our game strong.”

NRL media release

NRL announces competition to continue despite increased travel restrictions: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/15/nrl ... trictions/

VIDEO: Round two to continue with suspension of season deemed 'catastrophic': https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/15/rou ... astrophic/
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:43 pm
yeh raiders wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:00 pm Players should be asked to somewhat isolate themselves and they should have doctors testing all players regularly. If the comp dies, so do a lot of careers. It’s way more than just a game and right now, the show must go on.
Not practical. This goes well beyond the game and you cannot have resources like testing kits and doctors taken up by a sports code just to keep it afloat.
The team doctor that’s already employed and already accessible to players, is surely qualified to make a preliminary diagnosis and then refer the player on to a dedicated clinic.

They should just monitor the players a lot more closely and frequently than usual, given the circumstances.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Didn't hear the interview, but he's been struggling for years.
The Warriors man of the match award should go to the assistant coach next to him at the presser for keeping the poker face for the whole interview.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 14, 2020, 7:24 pm This virus, isnt anywhere near as bad as its being made out of. If is being fueled by the media. Everyone whi has died have been either eldery or had a prior health problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to the experts on the GH, it causes lung damage and testicular damage. I'm locking myself in a bunker and practising the barnyard animal noise game and particularly the noise of a baby ox.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm quite happy if idiots want to bunker down in their toilet paper forts

They'll stay the **** out of my way

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: March 15, 2020, 1:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:43 pm
The team doctor that’s already employed and already accessible to players, is surely qualified to make a preliminary diagnosis and then refer the player on to a dedicated clinic.

They should just monitor the players a lot more closely and frequently than usual, given the circumstances.
So by testing you mean monitoring. That's OK and expect it's already happening.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: March 15, 2020, 1:10 pm I'm quite happy if idiots want to bunker down in their toilet paper forts

They'll stay the **** out of my way

Unfortunately with all that isolation they might start breeding.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by LastRaider »

Wouldn’t suspending the competition be the best result and running the season into November.

It’s means clubs can all still have the same amount of games, Telecast obligations are met and sponsors will still get the same coverage?

Then teams just need short term funding to support the suspension period which would be like running an extended pre-season
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

-TW- wrote: March 15, 2020, 12:29 pm

Absolutely. Just sounded like this was much more imminent. Like 3 or 4 weeks might kill the NRL as we know it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:Wouldn’t suspending the competition be the best result and running the season into November.

It’s means clubs can all still have the same amount of games, Telecast obligations are met and sponsors will still get the same coverage?

Then teams just need short term funding to support the suspension period which would be like running an e tended pre-season
That's an option that was floated in the CEO meeting

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote: March 15, 2020, 1:22 pm Wouldn’t suspending the competition be the best result and running the season into November.

Then teams just need short term funding to support the suspension period which would be like running an extended pre-season
No, because the broadcast dollars stop immediately, and the game is put on an immediate path to financial collapse. They need to keep playing as long as possible, as that maximises the chances of put contingencies in place, with government bail out seeming to be the best hope of that. The "short term funding" doesn't exist, not at the moment anyway.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Suspending the competition until November would possibly get us nowhere.

I think the current monitor and modify approach is the right one.

Players will want to get paid, but if there’s no competition to televise it will have longer term impacts on the codes viability. I hope the players and their Union can see the bigger picture.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I just don't get this. What is the current requirements for businesses where someone in the office tests positive? Is the whole business being shut down, or are those that test positive being removed treated and those with direct exposure tested? Does a game of rugby league pose a significantly higher risk of contagion than the rest of society? Unless, teams start suffering significant infections than just let the games roll on.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

kona_dream wrote:I just don't get this. What is the current requirements for businesses where someone in the office tests positive? Is the whole business being shut down, or are those that test positive being removed treated and those with direct exposure tested? Does a game of rugby league pose a significantly higher risk of contagion than the rest of society? Unless, teams start suffering significant infections than just let the games roll on.
It’s a highly contagious disease with a long incubation period in a heavy contact sport... use your brain mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk