Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by Smurfette »

Cat, we clearly have different views about our government’s interest in locking people in our country, and the NZ Government’s interest in not letting their own citizens come home. No point going on here.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

From your answer GE I take it that you probably wouldn’t take that wager. Nor should you.

Honestly it’s not even worth having the discussion with them. Playing 2 or 3 games versus playing 1 makes **** all difference to the survivability of the code.

There is no serious long term threat to rugby league. Worst case the comp gets suspended, loses millions, isn’t bailed out. A whole bunch of entities declare bankruptcy and when it’s safe to play footy again a new comp will start and there’ll still be demand and a big tv paycheck to drive it. If there’s not, we would have far more serious issues to worry ourselves with.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
Smurfette wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:25 pm
cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:19 pm
Smurfette wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:12 pm
cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:08 pm The sport will survive, it got through world wars, the depression and other crisises.

You arent seeing the players and as importantly the football staff as real people. With real families.

You have not come up with a single example where people are expected- or dictatored to remain away from their family for 6months or more without knowing it was an expectation when they signed up

The toronto team knows its the case when they sign up, and its not during a world wide emergency
I think you know it’s ridiculous to imply that the NSWRL competition in the first half of the 20th century is anywhere close to comparable to the NRL product in 2020.

I understand your point that the players are real people with families, but again, we aren’t talking about locking them up for 6 months. You keep saying 6 months, but no one else is suggesting that.
Yes we are talking 6 months.
GE has posted they are expecting this to peak in August, thats 6 months.

You honestly think this will be over anytime soon?
That’s a 6 month period, yes. But no one is saying the warriors players will or should be trapped here for 6 months. When the competition is inevitably suspended, they will return home. They’re not being detained here. It’s absurd that you keep talking about it like they are.
If New Zealand or Australia lock their borders the Warriors won't be able to return to New Zealand when ever the Nrl say they can

Greenberg might think he can control the world but he can't

I would not be surprised if Jacinta closes the border very soon
They're not locking the borders..

Deadset.. give it a rest

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The grand final will be played in the thunderdome at this rate.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:44 pm
cat wrote:

I think you know it’s ridiculous to imply that the NSWRL competition in the first half of the 20th century is anywhere close to comparable to the NRL product in 2020.

I understand your point that the players are real people with families, but again, we aren’t talking about locking them up for 6 months. You keep saying 6 months, but no one else is suggesting that.

That’s a 6 month period, yes. But no one is saying the warriors players will or should be trapped here for 6 months. When the competition is inevitably suspended, they will return home. They’re not being detained here. It’s absurd that you keep talking about it like they are.
If New Zealand or Australia lock their borders the Warriors won't be able to return to New Zealand when ever the Nrl say they can

Deadset.. give it a rest

No no, he's right. Time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the infected goo inside.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:39 pm From your answer GE I take it that you probably wouldn’t take that wager. Nor should you.

Honestly it’s not even worth having the discussion with them. Playing 2 or 3 games versus playing 1 makes **** all difference to the survivability of the code.

There is no serious long term threat to rugby league. Worst case the comp gets suspended, loses millions, isn’t bailed out. A whole bunch of entities declare bankruptcy and when it’s safe to play footy again a new comp will start and there’ll still be demand and a big tv paycheck to drive it. If there’s not, we would have far more serious issues to worry ourselves with.
Well said
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:
cat wrote:
cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:19 pm Yes we are talking 6 months.

Deadset.. give it a rest

No no, he's right. Time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the infected goo inside.
The PTA is disbanding

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:39 pm From your answer GE I take it that you probably wouldn’t take that wager. Nor should you.

I think you're seriously underestimating the possible consequences. As Don Furner pointed out, the club loses $4m this year if the gates remain closed for the rest of the season. That's not to mention the potential losses of other, more significant revenue streams. When football clubs break even, make a very small profit or lose money for the most part, that's huge. You might not see the clubs becoming insolvent as a problem... but I do.

Our club CEO said this, about the prospect of the season being cancelled:

"That's when you'd have the rescue package. You'd hope that the NRL will come forward. [But] they can't save 16 clubs. The cost wouldn't be there if you had no one coming through the gate, but nor would the revenue. But you've still got to pay the players, you've still got to pay the staff. It's hard to fathom what would happen."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

I have to say... that sounds pretty serious. I'm hoping we can play as long as possible and still get a season in.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

GE, people are more then important money
Vaccinated
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

This virus, isnt anywhere near as bad as its being made out of. If is being fueled by the media. Everyone whi has died have been either eldery or had a prior health problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s a game with a billion dollar TV contract. I can’t see that it can disappear on the basis of a single missed season. Someone bails that out sans the Titans perhaps

Of course we’d all like to see it continue as long as possible. Been waiting 26 damn years for this premiership!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Elcaptcroker wrote:This virus, isnt anywhere near as bad as its being made out of. If is being fueled by the media. Everyone whi has died have been either eldery or had a prior health problem

Like yeah I get an element of limiting spread, ensuring it doesn't mutate into something worse but this hysteria is insane

These measures represent something's that's widespread killing people, which it isn't... So either we aren't being told the full story, or its massively overblown based on the hysteria.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Hooper on Fox League saying the NRL wanting to find a way for the competition to proceed... and well done to them.

The ARLC to have a hook up with the 16 clubs tomorrow morning and then Peter V'landys and Todd Greenberg to have a press conference at 10am.

NRL will be seeking assistance from the federal government to to protect the code from bankruptcy, with assistance needed to far exceed the $235 million racing industry package for equine flu: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 0db3759e18
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

-TW- wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote:This virus, isnt anywhere near as bad as its being made out of. If is being fueled by the media. Everyone whi has died have been either eldery or had a prior health problem

Like yeah I get an element of limiting spread, ensuring it doesn't mutate into something worse but this hysteria is insane

These measures represent something's that's widespread killing people, which it isn't... So either we aren't being told the full story, or its massively overblown based on the hysteria.

100%

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

cat wrote:

Deadset.. give it a rest

TW,

They may not be closing the borders, but within a few days I think you will find there will be minimal flights into NZ.

I think the one thing there is a general consensus on is playing behind closed doors is not a long term solution. At some stage if this goes on the football will be suspended.

Then those players have got to get back to NZ (of course not all the Warriors players are Kiwis) and then presumably need to come out of the community for a couple of weeks.

I see there is a press conference is set for 10am and they hope to carry on. Admirable sentiments, but the reality is a number of sports have had similar views over past days and in nearly every case, it hasn’t lasted very long.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:35 pm Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of.

It's reasonable for the NRL to make a decision that, say, if this goes on for longer than a month the season will be suspended, but spending a few extra weeks in a 4 star hotel in Australia is hardly akin to being locked in an offshore processing facility away from your family for years. Let's be rational for a minute.
I think you are missing the point. If this is necessary and ongoing, the rest of the world is not going on as normal.

Plus if it is really as widespread as some are predicting (I am not totally convinced of that) then it is impossible to think that the virus wouldn’t seep it’s way into the player lockdown, and then with everyone together 24/7 it will spread like wildfire.
The rest of the working world is entirely expected to continue business in Australia and New Zealand. At this stage we have 206 confirmed cases across both countries - approx 1 in every 145,000 people.

Life simply has to go on. These players won't be kept in lockdown isolation, but sensible measures will be taken. I have not read or heard any sensible rationale as to why football players need to stop playing football while the rest of the world continues to operate around them.

They may not see their loved ones for a few weeks. They will continue to get paid. They will get over it.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 14, 2020, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: March 14, 2020, 7:29 pm

I don’t disagree with much of that but fact is the NRL needs to work within the reality of the world, even if the world has gone mad.

I reckon games with closed stadiums will last a week at best.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 7:39 pm
Bay53 wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:35 pm Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of.

It's reasonable for the NRL to make a decision that, say, if this goes on for longer than a month the season will be suspended, but spending a few extra weeks in a 4 star hotel in Australia is hardly akin to being locked in an offshore processing facility away from your family for years. Let's be rational for a minute.
I think you are missing the point. If this is necessary and ongoing, the rest of the world is not going on as normal.

Plus if it is really as widespread as some are predicting (I am not totally convinced of that) then it is impossible to think that the virus wouldn’t seep it’s way into the player lockdown, and then with everyone together 24/7 it will spread like wildfire.
The rest of the working world is entirely expected to continue business in Australia and New Zealand. At this stage we have 206 confirmed cases across both countries - approx 1 in every 120,000 people.

Life simply has to go on. These players won't be kept in lockdown isolation, but sensible measures will be taken. I have not read or heard any sensible rationale as to why football players need to stop playing football while the rest of the world continues to operate around them.

They may not see their loved ones for a few weeks. They will continue to get paid. They will get over it.
I expect most companies and the Australian Public Service will either ban or severely restrict all travel this week.

Personally I think it is madness but it is the reality of what we are living.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect that Australia has learned something from how other countries have handled the spread of coronavirus. Countries that didn't take it seriously now face serious outbreaks. I don't have any problem with the NRL complying with the advice of the best advice from the Australian government and their health experts. They seem to be very sensible.

Complying with that advice doesn't require our competition to stop, not at the moment, anyway... and it is great to see Peter V'landys will be providing some strong leadership on the path for the code in this environment. Things will no doubt change, things will be messy... but I'm glad V'landys is the chairman right now, given his record.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the way, putting players into low or lower risk environments doesn't mean that they're being put into hospital style quarantine. That would be impossible. It's doubtful the NRL will be seeking to play games out of the coronavirus quarantine stations on Christmas Island or Darwin.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You’re suggesting to spend all this time, angst and energy organising for all the players and support staff to have some special living arrangements away from family so that in all likelihood in the next fortnight someone can test positive for nought?

Just doesn’t really seem worth the effort.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:16 pm You’re suggesting to spend all this time, angst and energy organising for all the players and support staff to have some special living arrangements away from family so that in all likelihood in the next fortnight someone can test positive for nought?

That's my issue too

The NRL is a patient zero away from having to shut it all down... and it seems fairly unlikely to think that patient zero wont happen, so to what end here?

I can tell you right now, if were a warriors player, and being asked to abandon my wife and kids for an undisclosed period of time, i'd tell them to get totally, and completely ****
My job is an NRL player, but i have other responsibilites as a father and husband, and that is more important than footy.

It's unfathomable how selfish you'd have to be to think your right to watch footy is more important than a players family committments.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:16 pm You’re suggesting to spend all this time, angst and energy organising for all the players and support staff to have some special living arrangements away from family so that in all likelihood in the next fortnight someone can test positive for nought?

I'm not saying that they should move the players to Darwin, Townsville and Brisbane to play from the same venue. I'm just pointing out that there are some straw men arguments in the thread.

I am simply saying if the NRL complies with the guidance of government, at present they can and sensibly should continue to play. The other consequences are very serious, so we should take every sensible step to keep playing as long as we can. The NRL has a very good understanding of their obligations under their contracts, the financial consequences of not staging games. I will say this for Peter V'landys... I am pretty confident he understands all that... is hard headed, logical, sensible, thinks things through and will protect the game and its financial interests.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Botman wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:20 pm

That's my issue too

The NRL is a patient zero away from having to shut it all down... and it seems fairly unlikely to think that patient zero wont happen, so to what end here?

I can tell you right now, if were a warriors player, and being asked to abandon my wife and kids for an undisclosed period of time, i'd tell them to get totally, and completely ****
My job is an NRL player, but i have other responsibilites as a father and husband, and that is more important than footy.

It's unfathomable how selfish you'd have to be to think your right to watch footy is more important than a players family committments.
Some people talking sense!!!

The game will survive, yes it will lose money and lots of it,so are many many other companies and economies

Who cares!!!

These guys , and i include everyone involved have families they need to be with.

Find a new hobby until this blows over

To be honest I thought better of some raiders fans. We have always put player welfare ahead of success and our own enjoyment

Should we send the refs, tv crew, journos into camp with them too?
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:24 pm

I'm not saying that they should move the players to Darwin, Townsville and Brisbane to play from the same venue. I'm just pointing out that there are some straw men arguments in the thread.

I am simply saying if the NRL complies with the guidance of government, at present they can and sensibly should continue to play. The other consequences are very serious, so we should take every sensible step to keep playing as long as we can. The NRL has a very good understanding of their obligations under their contracts, the financial consequences of not staging games. I will say this for Peter V'landys... I am pretty confident he understands all that... is hard headed, logical, sensible, thinks things through and will protect the game and its financial interests.
I'm also sure he will put player welfare first, unlike some on here
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:20 pm

That's my issue too

:hi Botman!

The issue is encapsulated by Wayne Bennett. His solution of quarantining the player "somewhere in the north"... I don't think that's a great idea.

But he has summed up the nub of the issue. This is the key...

"You all know the TV studios have clauses in their contract if we don't fulfil eight matches every week … the contract would be null and void," he said.

"There's probably about $90 million still to be paid to players for the next part of their contracts. If the TV contracts fall over, then who pays the players' contracts for the rest of the year?

"Then every club has 30-to-40 admin-coaching staff on their books. Sponsors will pull their sponsorship because they're getting no value for money … so it's huge.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/14/nor ... ove-games/

If the NRL can arrange to keep the competition rolling, I support it. And I don't think the NRL is going to ask too much of the players to do what's needed to keep the competition running.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Gee if the whole comp gets put in quarantine, lock up your daughters when they come out.

There will be some serious testosterone to be released!!
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

If the Warriors players choose to stay home to be with family, let them. You have to consider their circumstances. No employer can expect any employee to uproot to a different country at short notice (for same pay) unless previously negotiated.

Unfortunately for the NRL and the broadcasters, that means one less game per week and no doubt a lot of money lost. However if it means that the sport can continue, it has to.

On a lighter note, replacing the Warriors with a BYE will go a long way to saving face if they intend on playing like they did today for the whole season.

It sure is a tricky situation and whichever way they decide to go, not everyone is going to be happy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW, I wholeheartedly reject the idea that anything I have said suggests any lack of concern for player welfare. There are people who seem to like to put words into other people's mouths... or misrepresent the motivations of others. What I have said is that a lot of other workers have it a whole lot tougher than what is being proposed - or do it already - are paid a whole lot less to do it, and that there is an example in our own code of basing in another location for an extended period. I believe some of the proposals around are perfectly reasonable asks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The financial impacts are significant, no question

But those implications haven’t stopped leagues which dwarf ours from making the correct and responsible public health decision. If the nrl really thinks they can just plow on through pass this, they’ll be sadly mistaken I think
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:56 pm If the Warriors players choose to stay home to be with family, let them. You have to consider their circumstances. No employer can expect any employee to uproot to a different country at short notice (for same pay) unless previously negotiated.

Unfortunately for the NRL and the broadcasters, that means one less game per week and no doubt a lot of money lost. However if it means that the sport can continue, it has to.

On a lighter note, replacing the Warriors with a BYE will go a long way to saving face if they intend on playing like they did today for the whole season.

It sure is a tricky situation and whichever way they decide to go, not everyone is going to be happy.
I'm certain the Warriors will find 17 players willing to play. They might do a whole lot better than the 17 who played today!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:56 pm BTW, I wholeheartedly reject the idea that anything I have said suggests any lack of concern for player welfare. There are people who seem to like to put words into other people's mouths... or misrepresent the motivations of others. What I have said is that a lot of other workers have it a whole lot tougher than what is being proposed - or do it already - are paid a whole lot less to do it, and that there is an example in our own code of basing in another location for an extended period. I believe some of the proposals around are perfectly reasonable asks.
They can reasonably ask I relocate myself to Darwin for 2, 4, 6 weeks? Who knows how long
And as a husband and father I will reasonably tell them to go and **** themselves

I’m not abandoning my wife and kids so their wheels keep turning. That’s just me though.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Well i can guarantee you would not find 17 raiders players willing to do it and it is highly unlikely given a choice most clubs would
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:56 pm BTW, I wholeheartedly reject the idea that anything I have said suggests any lack of concern for player welfare. There are people who seem to like to put words into other people's mouths... or misrepresent the motivations of others. What I have said is that a lot of other workers have it a whole lot tougher than what is being proposed - or do it already - are paid a whole lot less to do it, and that there is an example in our own code of basing in another location for an extended period. I believe some of the proposals around are perfectly reasonable asks.
They can reasonably ask I relocate myself to Darwin for 2, 4, 6 weeks? Who knows how long
And as a husband and father I will reasonably tell them to go and **** themselves

I’m not abandoning my wife and kids so their wheels keep turning. That’s just me though.
That's up to you, not going to debate on it. But certainly on more than one occasion, my work expected I relocate myself for extended periods. It was part of the job.

Personally, I believe what Wayne Bennett is proposing is expecting far more people relocate than is necessary. I guess we will see what happens.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Botman wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 8:56 pm BTW, I wholeheartedly reject the idea that anything I have said suggests any lack of concern for player welfare. What I have said is that a lot of other workers have it a whole lot tougher than what is being proposed - or do it already - are paid a whole lot less to do it, and that there is an example in our own code of basing in another location for an extended period. I believe some of the proposals around are perfectly reasonable asks.

I agree. But when you are a professional sports person and your family are relying on your pay cheque to survive, maybe you’d decide that you’d rather play in a different country than have your whole career wiped out due to the entire industry you work in collapsing.

If this was to happen, these players would be going back to driving trucks and being labourers. Their $500k contracts would turn into $50-$80k a year jobs.

I’m sure they will be given the choice. However, hopefully they are made aware of the ramifications to the code if they do choose to forfeit their season.