Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:19 pm James Hooper suggesting the NRL is considering isolating all teams in Brisbane, Darwin and Townsville to play.

Surely GIO with a bunch of dorms next to the stadium and world class facilities is a good option?
You’d think so...
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:20 pm
Bay53 wrote: Plus they probably didn’t pack enough clothes.
Just loan them Raiders gear.

But yeah, don’t think you can ask them to stay in a foreign country in a pandemic for football.
I guess if they send all the players somewhere like Darwin it doesn’t matter much whether they are from NZ, Canberra or Sydney. I can’t see the players association wearing it to be honest.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:23 pm I don’t understand Brisbane... aren’t there quite a few cases in SE Queensland?
Yes

And then there are a the cases every where who have not been tested cause they thought it was just the flu or sniffles
Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

There have been rugby league officials for a century wishing they could lock up all the players and only let them out for games.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think you can absolutely expect professional sportspeople to be away from their families for a few weeks. Sure, put a line under how long this goes on for, but at the end of the day they are paid good money to deliver a product to the fans. If they are physically able to do so, I don't see why that expectation isn't there.

This may sound harsh, but it's not like they have family back home dying from cancer...and if they do, then maybe they should consider going home.

I also don't get the AFL players having a sook about playing in front of no fans. So what's the alternative, not playing at all so the fans don't get to watch any football, while all the players still get paid? These guys are paid to deliver a product. If everyone is fit and well to play, why shouldn't they deliver the product, like the vast majority of football leagues are still doing around the world.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:29 pm I think you can absolutely expect professional sportspeople to be away from their families for a few weeks. Sure, put a line under how long this goes on for, but at the end of the day they are paid good money to deliver a product to the fans. If they are physically able to do so, I don't see why that expectation isn't there.

It's not like they have family back home dying from cancer.

I also don't get the AFL players having a sook about playing in front of no fans. So what's the alternative, not playing at all so the fans don't get to watch any football, while all the players still get paid? This might sound harsh, but these guys are paid to deliver a product. If everyone is fit and well to play, why shouldn't they deliver the product?
As I’ve mentioned earlier, this is standard operating procedure for the Toronto Wolfpack. They spend a month away from a Canada and a month away from England at a stretch.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of.

It's reasonable for the NRL to make a decision that, say, if this goes on for longer than a month the season will be suspended, but spending a few extra weeks in a 4 star hotel in Australia is hardly akin to being locked in an offshore processing facility away from your family for years. Let's be rational for a minute.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Let’s think about this practically - you take all the players and isolate them in one or two locations - you then need to isolate the coaches, trainers, officials - anyone who has contact with the players.

Someone outside presumably has to cook their food, clean the lodgings etc. Then there needs to be training grounds provided. What do they do outside of the few hours playing and training.

All this whilst presumably the rest of society including their family, friends and children are getting sick.

I am not convinced that we need to play any games without crowds, but these other suggestions to basically put them in prison could work for a week or two, but can’t be done long term.

The broadcast rights for EPL, NBA, La Liga, PGA tour, ATP tennis etc are worth a bit too and they haven’t gone down this path.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:31 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:29 pm I think you can absolutely expect professional sportspeople to be away from their families for a few weeks. Sure, put a line under how long this goes on for, but at the end of the day they are paid good money to deliver a product to the fans. If they are physically able to do so, I don't see why that expectation isn't there.

It's not like they have family back home dying from cancer.

I also don't get the AFL players having a sook about playing in front of no fans. So what's the alternative, not playing at all so the fans don't get to watch any football, while all the players still get paid? This might sound harsh, but these guys are paid to deliver a product. If everyone is fit and well to play, why shouldn't they deliver the product?
As I’ve mentioned earlier, this is standard operating procedure for the Toronto Wolfpack. They spend a month away from a Canada and a month away from England at a stretch.
They are not restricted to their lodgings 24/7 whilst they are there.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

The toronto wolf players know this and agree to this when they sig up.

Expecting every team to agree to do it for even a month is crazy
Firstly how do we know in a months time the government hasnt said no movement at all, stay where you are and they get stuck?

Secondly we aren't just talking about players here , we are talking about all football staff too. And many are not paid that well and certainly didnt sign up to be away from their families for this long

Anyone who thinks they should just suck it up cause they are paid to play footy are not looking at the big picture here nor seeing the players and support staff for who they are.

People with families and lives away from footy, real people
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cat is on the money. Can’t see it happening.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The players might have a different view once their very big pay cheques stop. It is pretty simple... no games, the broadcasting dollars stop... the NRL is obliged under the broadcasting deals to deliver the games. Now, it would go to negotitations and there'll probably be requests for help from government. But the money doesn't grow on trees. No games, no broadcasts, no advertising dollars and revenue for the broadcasters and the revenue for the clubs and the bulk of revenue for the game and clubs dries up. The lack of gate takings from playing behind closed doors will be the least of the clubs' problems. That's small bickies compared to the collapse of the sport.

Staying on in Australia in a hotel for a while... so as to minimise the damage as much as possible... seems like a reasonable ask. The longer the NRL delivers games, the better. And who knows what happens in terms of medical developments which might turn things around.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:35 pm Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of.

It's reasonable for the NRL to make a decision that, say, if this goes on for longer than a month the season will be suspended, but spending a few extra weeks in a 4 star hotel in Australia is hardly akin to being locked in an offshore processing facility away from your family for years. Let's be rational for a minute.
I think you are missing the point. If this is necessary and ongoing, the rest of the world is not going on as normal.

Plus if it is really as widespread as some are predicting (I am not totally convinced of that) then it is impossible to think that the virus wouldn’t seep it’s way into the player lockdown, and then with everyone together 24/7 it will spread like wildfire.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Act of god' clause could cost NRL players, clubs millions

An "act of god clause" in every NRL player's contract stipulates that some of the costs associated with the fan lockout will be passed onto the players. A provision in the Collective Bargaining agreement allows the NRL to cut and suspend payments to players in the event of the game suffering an unforeseen financial catastrophe.

The clause gives the clubs and NRL officials power to renegotiate the 2020 salary cap and cut payments if the game doesn't meet financial obligations, including the NRL losing revenues of $10 million or more in a year.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-stars- ... 17b5d3a671
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:01 pm The players might have a different view once their very big pay cheques stop. It is pretty simple... no games, the broadcasting dollars stop... the NRL is obliged under the broadcasting deals to deliver the games. Now, it would go to negotitations and there'll probably be requests for help from government. But the money doesn't grow on trees. No games, no broadcasts, no advertising dollars and revenue for the broadcasters and the revenue for the clubs and the bulk of revenue for the game and clubs dries up. The lack of gate takings from playing behind closed doors will be the least of the clubs' problems. That's small bickies compared to the collapse of the sport.

Staying on in Australia in a hotel for a while... so as to minimise the damage as much as possible... seems like a reasonable ask. The longer the NRL delivers games, the better. And who knows what happens in terms of medical developments which might turn things around.
Mate it's just a game!
Look I personally think this is worldwide over reaction but based on what is going on I am sure we can all live without footy for awhile.

I am sure the players will be happy to lose a bit of money rather then be forced away from their family in this world wide panic/emergency

And as i said we arent just talking about players, we would be expecting ALL football staff to go, physios, doctors, trainers, gear stewert, ceo, coaches, stats guy etc

You want them all to leave their family so you can watch 80min of footy a week?
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Bay53 wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 14, 2020, 4:35 pm Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of.

I think you are missing the point. If this is necessary and ongoing, the rest of the world is not going on as normal.

Plus if it is really as widespread as some are predicting (I am not totally convinced of that) then it is impossible to think that the virus wouldn’t seep it’s way into the player lockdown, and then with everyone together 24/7 it will spread like wildfire.
I'm with you Bay53,

Yes we all love our footy but as they say in Frozen you got to let it go
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:The toronto wolf players know this and agree to this when they sig up.

Firstly how do we know in a months time the government hasnt said no movement at all, stay where you are and they get stuck?

Secondly we aren't just talking about players here , we are talking about all football staff too. And many are not paid that well and certainly didnt sign up to be away from their families for this long

Anyone who thinks they should just suck it up cause they are paid to play footy are not looking at the big picture here nor seeing the players and support staff for who they are.

Considering there's an act of God clause where they won't get paid.. I'm sure they'll deal with it.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:15 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:01 pm
The players might have a different view once their very big pay cheques stop. It is pretty simple... no games, the broadcasting dollars stop... the NRL is obliged under the broadcasting deals to deliver the games. Now, it would go to negotitations and there'll probably be requests for help from government. But the money doesn't grow on trees. No games, no broadcasts, no advertising dollars and revenue for the broadcasters and the revenue for the clubs and the bulk of revenue for the game and clubs dries up. The lack of gate takings from playing behind closed doors will be the least of the clubs' problems. That's small bickies compared to the collapse of the sport.

Mate it's just a game!

Look I personally think this is worldwide over reaction but based on what is going on I am sure we can all live without footy for awhile.

I am sure the players will be happy to lose a bit of money rather then be forced away from their family in this world wide panic/emergency

And as i said we arent just talking about players, we would be expecting ALL football staff to go, physios, doctors, trainers, gear stewert, ceo, coaches, stats guy etc

You want them all to leave their family so you can watch 80min of footy a week?
It is an entirely reasonable ask, given the massive implications for the code, the clubs... and the players. It is not uncommon for workers to spend considerable amounts of time away from home, lots longer than football players do, and they're nowhere near as well paid. We're not talking about "a bit of money" if the season is suspended or cancelled. It is going to be a very serious situation. Some, if not all clubs, would not be able to withstand it... and the NRL couldn't save them all... without government help. It is best to minimise the damage for as long as possible... and I know the NRL and clubs understand that. That's why they're aiming to have games played. The whole thing falls over if games are not played.

The projections I've read suggest coronavirus will peak in Australia in August. This is not a matter of waiting a few weeks until the "panic" stops. The NRL is seeking a path to play as much of the season as possible and I support them in doing so. They're protecting the sport... and I suspect it is going to need it.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:41 pm It is an entirely reasonable ask, given the massive implications for the code, the clubs... and the players. It is not uncommon for workers to spend considerable amounts of time away from home, lots longer than football players do, and they're nowhere near as well paid. We're not talking about "a bit of money" if the season is suspended or cancelled. It is going to be a very serious situation. Some, if not all clubs, would not be able to withstand it... and the NRL couldn't save them all... without government help. It is best to minimise the damage for as long as possible... and I know the NRL and clubs understand that. That's why they're aiming to have games played. The whole thing falls over if games are not played.

The projections I've read suggest coronavirus will peak in Australia in August. This is not a matter of waiting a few weeks until the "panic" stops. The NRL is seeking a path to play as much of the season as possible and I support them in doing so. They're protecting the sport... and I suspect it is going to need it.
Nailed it GE. 100% agree with your analysis.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

GE, its even bigger money with the NBA etc

I get you are passionate about the NRL and the Raiders

So am I but these are not normal times and no its not common for your "boss" to tell you to leave your family for 6months during a crisis.

Those cases you give the people involved agree to it

The cruise shop industry is closing for 30 + days , its worth a lot more then the NRL

People need to stop thinking just about themselves and their need for football.

You need to remember these guys- the players and staff all have families

Guys you might just need to find another hobby for a few months!

Can i suggest model train set making, drawing, write a book, bonsai or teddy bear making
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:39 pm
cat wrote:The toronto wolf players know this and agree to this when they sig up.

Considering there's an act of God clause where they won't get paid.. I'm sure they'll deal with it.

I have a feeling they will be more concerned about their family and happy to lose a bit, its not like they are living pay day to pay day
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 5:55 pm GE, its even bigger money with the NBA etc

So am I but these are not normal times and no its not common for your "boss" to tell you to leave your family for 6months during a crisis.

The cruise shop industry is closing for 30 + days , its worth a lot more then the NRL

Can i suggest model train set making, drawing, write a book, bonsai or teddy bear making
You might want to re-consider my motivations. I've explained them, and they are driven by a concern for the sport - with the financial consequences possibly being quite dire. I believe that relocating the Warriors for an extended period is quite reasonable in the circumstances - and indeed, we have an example of it in rugby league, let alone more broadly. But you keep coming back with the same points, so there's no point discussing it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Also those who keep saying "well the NBA and EPL are doing it" there are confirmed cases in those leagues, whole teams are in isolation...

Until that happens the potential loss of suspending or cancelling games could kill clubs, and even the game..

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/14/war ... trictions/

Interesting article
One player has a baby due in 2 weeks, others have very young babies at home.

The Warriors haven't actually decided to all stay yet
Vaccinated
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:I'd guess we are looking at a 1 month suspension at least.

Perhaps a chance of an extended season which would be good. I don't see them giving up the revenue that a shortened season would bring. Unfortunately the NRL having zero assets puts it in a bad position.
Might not be that easy to have an extended season. Other sports / events might have the grounds booked. It might not be logistically possible.

They were suggesting this for the F1, to move the missed rounds to the end of the season, but it’s not that easy, especially for Melbourne, to close off main roads ad hoc
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

You might want to re-consider my motivations. I've explained them, and they are driven by a concern for the sport - with the financial consequences possibly being quite dire. I believe that relocating the Warriors for an extended period is quite reasonable in the circumstances - and indeed, we have an example of it in rugby league, let alone more broadly. But you keep coming back with the same points, so there's no point discussing it.
The sport will survive, it got through world wars, the depression and other crisises.

You arent seeing the players and as importantly the football staff as real people. With real families.

You have not come up with a single example where people are expected- or dictatored to remain away from their family for 6months or more without knowing it was an expectation when they signed up

The toronto team knows its the case when they sign up, and its not during a world wide emergency
Vaccinated
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

It’s highly unlikely that they’ll be made to stay for six months, and I don’t think GE is advocating for that. I think it’s entirely reasonable, and likely, that the Warriors will stay here for the short term so the NRL can get as many games in as possible before the inevitable suspension of the competition. At the current rate at which the situation is evolving, that’s probably only a couple of weeks away at most. But GE is right - the financial implications of this for clubs and the game are huge. The NRL is not going to suspend the competition solely because of the Warriors’ predicament, so it’s really in their best interests to make this work.

As a side note, coronavirus doesn’t love warm temperatures, so probably better that they’re here than in NZ anyway.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:08 pm

The sport will survive, it got through world wars, the depression and other crisises.

You arent seeing the players and as importantly the football staff as real people. With real families.

You have not come up with a single example where people are expected- or dictatored to remain away from their family for 6months or more without knowing it was an expectation when they signed up

The toronto team knows its the case when they sign up, and its not during a world wide emergency
I think you know it’s ridiculous to imply that the NSWRL competition in the first half of the 20th century is anywhere close to comparable to the NRL product in 2020.

I understand your point that the players are real people with families, but again, we aren’t talking about locking them up for 6 months. You keep saying 6 months, but no one else is suggesting that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What would you like to wager that the warriors are in Australia for longer than 2 weeks from today GE?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Smurfette wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:08 pm

It’s highly unlikely that they’ll be made to stay for six months, and I don’t think GE is advocating for that. I think it’s entirely reasonable, and likely, that the Warriors will stay here for the short term so the NRL can get as many games in as possible before the inevitable suspension of the competition. At the current rate at which the situation is evolving, that’s probably only a couple of weeks away at most. But GE is right - the financial implications of this for clubs and the game are huge. The NRL is not going to suspend the competition solely because of the Warriors’ predicament, so it’s really in their best interests to make this work.

As a side note, coronavirus doesn’t love warm temperatures, so probably better that they’re here than in NZ anyway.
If we or New Zealand follow other countries and close our borders then the Warrior players could potentially be stuck away from their families, including new babies for more thwn 6months.

China has been closed for months, Italy closed etc

Yes it will cost the game a lot, but its costing everyone a lot. Japan will lose billions on the Olympics, cruise companies, airlines, restaurants , holiday resorts etc.

We will survive. These players will never get over not seeing family members if they pass away, children grow up, the first months more of their first child etc.

Its just a game guys. These people are real with real feelings, real families
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Smurfette wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:12 pm

I think you know it’s ridiculous to imply that the NSWRL competition in the first half of the 20th century is anywhere close to comparable to the NRL product in 2020.

I understand your point that the players are real people with families, but again, we aren’t talking about locking them up for 6 months. You keep saying 6 months, but no one else is suggesting that.
Yes we are talking 6 months.
GE has posted they are expecting this to peak in August, thats 6 months.

You honestly think this will be over anytime soon?
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:14 pm What would you like to wager that the warriors are in Australia for longer than 2 weeks from today GE?
I would not at all be surprised that within the next month or so, a player tests positive for coronavirus. We are told that it will peak in Australia in August. I hope it is not the case that a player tests positive any time soon. But if we do, we're probably on a rapid path to some form of suspension of the season. This is going to be a very messy path, but, in my view, we need to play as much of the season as we possibly can before this becomes very serious. That keeps some of our options open as a code. It is going to be crippling for the game if the season is suspended for a long period, or cancelled. I'm not sure people are comprehending how serious this could become... nor how serious the financial consequences are for the game. Obviously, the broader consequences for people's health... and the broader economy could be even more serious.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:19 pm

That’s a 6 month period, yes. But no one is saying the warriors players will or should be trapped here for 6 months. When the competition is inevitably suspended, they will return home. They’re not being detained here. It’s absurd that you keep talking about it like they are.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Smurfette wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:25 pm
cat wrote: March 14, 2020, 6:19 pm

That’s a 6 month period, yes. But no one is saying the warriors players will or should be trapped here for 6 months. When the competition is inevitably suspended, they will return home. They’re not being detained here. It’s absurd that you keep talking about it like they are.
If New Zealand or Australia lock their borders the Warriors won't be able to return to New Zealand when ever the Nrl say they can

Greenberg might think he can control the world but he can't

I would not be surprised if Jacinta closes the border very soon
Vaccinated