Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders prepare for tough times after NRL season suspension

Post by greeneyed »

NRL measures for 2020 season

The National Rugby League (NRL) will follow the advice from Federal and State governments effectively banning mass gatherings, effective from Monday.

This means from Round Two, all games will be played within closed stadiums and spectators will not be allowed to attend Telstra Premiership games until further notice.

Australian Rugby League Commission chair Peter V’landys AM and NRL chief executive officer Todd Greenberg said games will still be played as scheduled, within empty stadiums, with every match broadcast live on TV, radio and streaming services as advertised. Print and digital media will be allowed within venues.

“We know this will be disappointing for fans but we are dealing with uncertain and unprecedented times,” Mr V’landys said.

“We have always maintained we would follow the advice of health authorities to prevent the further spread of the COVID-19 virus. In doing this, we have been in daily contact with Federal and State agencies and with both Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian today."

All Round One games will proceed as planned this weekend. While fans are encouraged to attend this weekend’s matches, anyone who is experiencing any Coronavirus symptoms or feeling unwell are advised to stay away.

Mr Greenberg said: “We respect today’s decision and our absolute priority is doing everything we can to protect our players and fans and reduce the spread of the virus in the general community.”

“We are acutely aware of the impact this decision will have on clubs, players, fans, and members, and the NRL will continue to work with the Clubs to determine how to best manage this disruption. We are dealing with uncertain and unprecedented times but across the game, we are managing it in a collaborative way.”

The Australian Rugby League Commission and NRL management will meet tomorrow to discuss its contingency plans for the 2020 season.

COVID-19 guidelines, reducing player interaction with the general public outside of game days, released by the NRL yesterday will continue to apply. Along with broadcasters, working media will be permitted to attend games to ensure fans continue to receive widespread coverage of their team’s performance and updates.

Mr Greenberg said the game would continue to keep fans updated on developments.

“Fans are what makes our game so great and we understand their disappointment but public health must come first.

"I want to remind all fans that every match will still be broadcast live on television, radio and via streaming services and the daily newspapers and television news will still continue to cover the competition for the fans.”

NRL media release
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: All NRL games from Round 2 to be played without fans

Post by Makaveli »

"I want to remind all fans that every match will still be broadcast live on television, radio and via streaming services and the daily newspapers and television news will still continue to cover the competition for the fans.”

Love he had to throw this in as if the broadcast partners would allow them not to anyway
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Hang on does this mean Victor can bring back his pelvic thrusts again
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Won’t bother Roosters then
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Xerri being tested for the virus. If it comes back positive they’ll suspend the season for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Danaman137 wrote:Xerri being tested for the virus. If it comes back positive they’ll suspend the season for sure.

Should just kick the Sharks and Broncos out of the comp.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

There's probably nearly 1000 players, support staff eccetera in the NRL so it's improbable to think that no one will get it and yes probably the first confirmed case will suspend the season

In saying that I thought some fella from the AFL was confirmed but maybe not as they are still planning to go ahead with Round 1, albeit closed.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

gangrenous wrote:
Danaman137 wrote:Xerri being tested for the virus. If it comes back positive they’ll suspend the season for sure.

Should just kick the Sharks and Broncos out of the comp.
Fair

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Let's just suspend the season right now and we win the comp on for and against.

Done.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I was planning to go to magic round will this blow over by then ?

rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

I really hope the season goes on. I get the worry about players and their families health and if any players don't want to play, they should be allowed to choose to stand down without consequence.

Having the season allows some normality and hope to the fans.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: March 13, 2020, 7:09 pm I was planning to go to magic round Image will this blow over by then ?

It's in serious danger of being fan free..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Advantage Roosters...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:I was planning to go to magic round Image will this blow over by then ?

Depends how well it's contained, China is only on the downward slope now and it's been 4 months

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: March 13, 2020, 7:42 pm
Sid wrote:I was planning to go to magic round Image will this blow over by then ?

Depends how well it's contained, China is only on the downward slope now and it's been 4 months

I was supposed to be up there for that for some **** **** idiots bucks, and i havent booked a thing and wont be. I doubt it'll be going ahead. I think we're looking at empty stadiums for at least 6-8 weeks, and that's if the NRL dont get a patient zero that requires them to shut it down
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:

I was supposed to be up there for that for some **** **** idiots bucks, and i havent booked a thing and wont be. I doubt it'll be going ahead. I think we're looking at empty stadiums for at least 6-8 weeks, and that's if the NRL dont get a patient zero that requires them to shut it down
Your Japan trip and this bucks... ****

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

They did have 80,000 cases though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: March 13, 2020, 7:58 pm
Botman wrote:

Your Japan trip and this bucks... ****
A miserable result for me all around... though there is always a silver lining, now i dont have to go and hangout with some miserable prick like @nickman for his bucks
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

My invite was lost in the mail clearly
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No, im sure its still coming, just wait by that mailbox. It'll come gangers, it'll come
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Sid wrote: March 13, 2020, 7:09 pm I was planning to go to magic round Image will this blow over by then ?

Tell me about it. I am going to magic round and then supposed to fly to Europe on the Sunday night for 8 weeks.

Also supposed to be going to NZ for the game next week.

Not good.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The NZ herald is also reporting there is some discussion that the games next week will be played at one venue. (Without fans)

If that was the case there would be some argument to use Canberra. It has a surface that can handle the games, the ACT is one of the least affected places, players could potentially be quarantined in the AIS facilities and the whole area can be blocked off pretty easily.

Of course the added complexity of our game is the need to travel internationally when there is an advisory stating reconsider the need to travel internationally. (If they played at one venue obviously the Warriors then have to travel) I am sure many companies and probably the Australian government employees who will restrict international travel on WHS grounds. Of course that also applies to the Raiders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart and the players are talking about the possibility of the game being played in Canberra, or Australia, given the Warriors are already here... and they may not be allowed to go back.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2020, 10:23 pm Ricky Stuart and the players are talking about the possibility of the game being played in Canberra, or Australia, given the Warriors are already here... and they may not be allowed to go back.
There is some sense in that. If international travel doesn’t become possible the NRL season couldn’t go on if the Warriors are not in the same country as everyone else.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Makaveli wrote: March 13, 2020, 7:04 pm There's probably nearly 1000 players, support staff eccetera in the NRL so it's improbable to think that no one will get it and yes probably the first confirmed case will suspend the season

In saying that I thought some fella from the AFL was confirmed but maybe not as they are still planning to go ahead with Round 1, albeit closed.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I think that is right. One would have to think that if the situation is bad enough for these measures, it is impossible not to think that someone will get it.

It is one thing to restrict player interaction with fans, but they are not going to be isolated from friends, family and general society as they go about their lives.

This is what we have seen in other sports where closed doors was first reaction but then this was taken further to shut down the sport.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Sounds like at this stage the arrangements for NZ are a bit different to Australia.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12316649
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Xerri from Cronulla given all clear from Covid-19. Therefore looks like all is going ahead today.

Bronson Xerri cleared of coronavirus after two Sharks players were sent home with flu-like symptoms

Cronulla centre Bronson Xerri has been cleared of coronavirus. Xerri isn’t due to play in the Sharks’ Round 1 game against South Sydney tonight as he is recovering from a shoulder injury.

The Sharks released a statement on Saturday morning confirming their star centre was in the clear and no other player had been tested.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 127892d360
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s good news. Now let’s continue the comp with Sharks and Broncos excluded.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sydney Roosters star Angus Crichton ruled out with pneumonia after undergoing coronavirus test

Sydney Rooster Angus Crichton has been ruled out of tonight’s season opener against Penrith with pneumonia. Crichton has been flattened this week and underwent a precautionary test for coronavirus due to the Roosters recent European trip for the World Club Challenge.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... dfcf2f3f27
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Glad for Xerri and sucks for Crichton but it's only a matter of time.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

raiderskater wrote: March 14, 2020, 1:56 pm Glad for Xerri and sucks for Crichton but it's only a matter of time.
Not sure about that. At this stage there are 200 confirmed cases in Australia. That's less than one person for every 120,000 people in the country.

I'd rather have coronavirus than pneumonia, that's for sure.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

We aren’t playing NZ next week. Their government has put in place mandatory two week quarantine from anyone coming from Australia. Meaning we won’t be going their and they won’t be coming here.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

RTW wrote: March 14, 2020, 2:12 pm We aren’t playing NZ next week. Their government has put in place mandatory two week quarantine from anyone coming from Australia. Meaning we won’t be going their and they won’t be coming here.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
They’re already in Australia though. The talk last night seemed to suggest consideration was being given to playing the game here instead.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Details about the NZ travel ban. Clearly the Warriors will not be able to return to NZ for the foreseeable future or they can’t continue to participate in the competition.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12316692
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

With this news I expect the season to be shut down... you can’t expect the warriors to be away from their families indefinitely just to keep the game going. These men have wives and children. The cricket team has just been sent home, I expect the same thing for the warriors.