Sydney fans rorted

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Sydney fans rorted

Post by gangrenous »

This has probably already been discussed, feel free to ignore if it has.

Greeneyed gets upset about the Raiders taking a home game away. But the trend of Sydney teams doing this to the Raiders means that Sydney fans are now really copping it.

As far as I can see there’s only 3 games in the regular season that are in Sydney this year. One is Penrith (arguably Sydney...), one is Manly (worst stadium in Sydney?), one is Jubilee (credit to the Sharks they don’t even have a stadium and they’ve probably still given Sydney fans the most accessible match of the year). Nothing at Olympic Park, nothing at Bankwest...

This sucks. Also means the team must have a lot of bloody travel.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: Sydney Fans Rorted

Post by cat »

Agree, apart from the whole customs thing the raiders travel just as much as the warriors, in some ways more

- auckland game- 2 flights each way
- cowboys game 2 flights
- Tamworth either 2 flights or a long long drive
- perth and gokd coast games have limited direct flights
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Sydney fans rorted

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: February 23, 2020, 5:47 pm This has probably already been discussed, feel free to ignore if it has.

Greeneyed gets upset about the Raiders taking a home game away. But the trend of Sydney teams doing this to the Raiders means that Sydney fans are now really copping it.

As far as I can see there’s only 3 games in the regular season that are in Sydney this year. One is Penrith (arguably Sydney...), one is Manly (worst stadium in Sydney?), one is Jubilee (credit to the Sharks they don’t even have a stadium and they’ve probably still given Sydney fans the most accessible match of the year). Nothing at Olympic Park, nothing at Bankwest...

This sucks. Also means the team must have a lot of bloody travel.
I’ve been on about this too. Which makes the Raiders taking their home games away EVEN WORSE!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I noticed this as well. Upgraded my membership from the 2 away tix to the 4 home tix as a result. $25 more and I can make a weekend out of it with some friends/family
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

GE, the raiders were strongly encouraged to take the game away by the NRL

I wonder if the thought process behind the tigers, roosters and dogs taking us away was to nullify the flow on effects from the grand final, trying to prevent us from having the crowd advantage
Vaccinated
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

If it's any consolation to the being unable to get there as a fan factor, at least the players seem to perform on away days (and week).
Last edited by Raider47 on February 23, 2020, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote:GE, the raiders were strongly encouraged to take the game away by the NRL

I wonder if the thought process behind the tigers, roosters and dogs taking us away was to nullify the flow on effects from the grand final, trying to prevent us from having the crowd advantage
I’m sure it’s the opposite. That we’d be a lower crowd drawing game.

Although that would be debatable if we repeated 2019 form you’d think.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: February 23, 2020, 6:12 pm GE, the raiders were strongly encouraged to take the game away by the NRL

I completely understand all the ins and outs.

1) We have essentially sold a home game so the NSW Government would give money to the new Raiders HQ. And sold it to the Wagga Council. The sum of the money clearly outweighed the financial penalty imposed by the ACT Government. That doesn’t make it right. Not everything the club does is right. Taking our home games away from home isn’t right.

2) The NRL SHOULDN’T be telling the Raiders to take games away. We are the only team in the middle of NSW Country. The NRL has no idea what they’re doing half the time. There are too many teams in Sydney, yet the NRL deliberately puts these teams up against each other in Sydney and tries to force us into games in the bush. It’s not right.

3) There is no conspiracy preventing the Raiders from having a home ground advantage. It is driven by money. Poorly directed.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: February 23, 2020, 6:41 pm
cat wrote: February 23, 2020, 6:12 pm GE, the raiders were strongly encouraged to take the game away by the NRL

1) We have essentially sold a home game so the NSW Government would give money to the new Raiders HQ. And sold it to the Wagga Council. The sum of the money clearly outweighed the financial penalty imposed by the ACT Government. That doesn’t make it right. Not everything the club does is right. Taking our home games away from home isn’t right.

2) The NRL SHOULDN’T be telling the Raiders to take games away. We are the only team in the middle of NSW Country. The NRL has no idea what they’re doing half the time. There are too many teams in Sydney, yet the NRL deliberately puts these teams up against each other in Sydney and tries to force us into games in the bush. It’s not right.

3) There is no conspiracy preventing the Raiders from having a home ground advantage. It is driven by money. Poorly directed.

1) long to plan in place here, as much as i hate having 1 less home game i understand why we did it. Raiders also smartly are picking their battles with the NRL

2) pretty much every Sydney team takes games away, yes the fans still get more "local" games but they are also taking games away

As long as its only 1 I can live with it, I actually love a good country trip away
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: February 23, 2020, 7:33 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 23, 2020, 6:41 pm

1) long to plan in place here, as much as i hate having 1 less home game i understand why we did it. Raiders also smartly are picking their battles with the NRL

2) pretty much every Sydney team takes games away, yes the fans still get more "local" games but they are also taking games away

As long as its only 1 I can live with it, I actually love a good country trip away
The Raiders should be prioritising their home supporters, not acceding to a vague admonition from the NRL that games should be played “away”.

The NRL fixes the draw so Sydney teams play each other, largely. If Sydney teams take games away, they still play the vast bulk of their games in Sydney. Some even still play the same number of games at their home venue, even after taking home games “away”. Sydney fans get the bulk of their club’s games in Sydney even if they take home games away.

The NRL should not be telling the Raiders to shift home games, they should be the last team they’re saying that to. They won’t force the Broncos to...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:GE, the raiders were strongly encouraged to take the game away by the NRL

Seriously... MORE conspiracy rubbish...

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ve said it a million times. If the NRL wanted to support and grow country rugby league. Ensure regional teams are shown on free to air TV in regional areas.

Not much Foxtel being purchased in Nimmitibell or Tumut. These folks should be seeing Raiders games each weekend (at least on delay).

Same story for Cowboys, Titans, Knights etc.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think this topic was about our away games rather than our home games away from Canberra Stadium, a topic that has been discussed a lot on this site.

The truth is we do seem to play a lot of away games at venues other than the Sydney home grounds.

This year we have Tigers in Tamworth, Roosters in Perth, Bulldogs in Brisbane and Souths on the Central Coast. Dragons are in Wollongong which is one of their home grounds but alternatively it could be in Sydney.

I think the issue has been that we haven’t been considered a big drawing home game for the Sydney clubs so one that can be sold away hence the reason we have played in Bathurst, Mudgee, Cairns, Darwin, New Plymouth, Albury etc over recent years.

Whether that will change now that we are one of the stronger teams is probably debatable because the Storm have probably played as many games in Adelaide and Perth as anyone in recent times.

This year there does have to be some slack given for the fact that this year there are a number of grounds unavailable and of course we choose to play away at Magic Round so that is going to be against another team not from
Brisbane, fair odds they will be from Sydney.

I think the Raiders attitude has been that where other clubs play their home games is their business and our players probably prefer to play at country venues than in Sydney. I am not sure our record actually reflects that. We seem to have lost most of these games whereas we have a reasonable record in Sydney and last year it was great.

The only time there has ever been a hint of negativity out of the Raiders was when we beat Souths in Cairns and Ricky talked about how Sydney clubs didn’t respect us.

It should be remembered that our first game in Darwin was actually due to Ricky. He was coaching Parra at the time and suggested taking the Raiders to Darwin in winter would be an advantage for his team. Of course by the time the game came around he was coaching us.

As a fan who goes to most away games it does add to the cost. Most Sydney games we can be up and back in the day. The flip side is I have been to a lot more places because of it.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

BJ wrote: February 23, 2020, 8:22 pm I’ve said it a million times. If the NRL wanted to support and grow country rugby league. Ensure regional teams are shown on free to air TV in regional areas.

Not much Foxtel being purchased in Nimmitibell or Tumut. These folks should be seeing Raiders games each weekend (at least on delay).

320 people in Nimmitabel. Hour and a half drive to Bruce, at least. Somehow, much as i love them, I don't imagine they feature in NRL HQ strategic planning. Or even Raiders strategic planning, sadly.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Bay53 wrote: February 23, 2020, 9:32 pm I think this topic was about our away games rather than our home games away from Canberra Stadium, a topic that has been discussed a lot on this

As a fan who goes to most away games it does add to the cost. Most Sydney games we can be up and back in the day. The flip side is I have been to a lot more places because of it.
Agree bay53, as a Sydney raiders fan i am getting pretty close to 24 weekends away but I get some great weekends and get an excuse to visit some cool country towns.
There is no way i would randomly go to Tamworth for a weekend, but off i go with 3 days tacked on (long service leave i love you) to see a few more towns on the way

Did the same for mudgee and Albury was right over Easter so mount koszisco up I came!
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bay53 wrote: This year there does have to be some slack given for the fact that this year there are a number of grounds unavailable and of course we choose to play away at Magic Round so that is going to be against another team not from
Heaven forbid they make magic round a home game for the Broncos Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 23, 2020, 9:45 pm
BJ wrote: February 23, 2020, 8:22 pm I’ve said it a million times. If the NRL wanted to support and grow country rugby league. Ensure regional teams are shown on free to air TV in regional areas.

320 people in Nimmitabel. Hour and a half drive to Bruce, at least. Somehow, much as i love them, I don't imagine they feature in NRL HQ strategic planning. Or even Raiders strategic planning, sadly.
Raiders appreciate their catchment areas. You are right that NRL has no clue. There's a story Don tells about the NRL exec who came down and told him the Raiders meant little as a market- small city- and when Don patiently tried to engage with the guy and explain the Raiders also have real attachment for everyone from the Highlands to the Riverina, even the South Coast etc the guy just dismissed that too. Didn't care, no idea. So I can see it may not figure in their planning. Don asked the guy if he was aware 33% of the players in the NRL came from that region, y'know, who make his product... He was hoping that got their attention.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

BadnMean wrote: February 24, 2020, 11:10 am

Raiders appreciate their catchment areas. You are right that NRL has no clue. There's a story Don tells about the NRL exec who came down and told him the Raiders meant little as a market- small city- and when Don patiently tried to engage with the guy and explain the Raiders also have real attachment for everyone from the Highlands to the Riverina, even the South Coast etc the guy just dismissed that too. Didn't care, no idea. So I can see it may not figure in their planning. Don asked the guy if he was aware 33% of the players in the NRL came from that region, y'know, who make his product... He was hoping that got their attention.
If this is true, I find it utterly, utterly galling. Larger than Townsville; same size as Newcastle; the Gold Coast is where sports go to die; Auckland is a RU town; we're competing with Melbourne in terms of membership and crowd size; Sydney has nine teams and unless I'm mistaken Brisbane is the only team that makes a profit off the gate.
Somebody needs to get these fools a map and point out this place ain't the USA or Europe. We've got six cities with 1m+ populations, including Auckland. Two of those cities have no top level RL, and two more are largely owned by other sports.
Curtis Scott's old lawyer was right - these idiots live in their own kingdom.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It has been an issue with the NRL/NSWRL for ever.

Everyone knows NSW stands for Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong... especially in Rugby League. The Raiders are only in the comp because the Campbelltown bid fell over.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Leebola wrote: February 24, 2020, 1:36 pm
BadnMean wrote: February 24, 2020, 11:10 am

If this is true, I find it utterly, utterly galling. Larger than Townsville; same size as Newcastle; the Gold Coast is where sports go to die; Auckland is a RU town; we're competing with Melbourne in terms of membership and crowd size; Sydney has nine teams and unless I'm mistaken Brisbane is the only team that makes a profit off the gate.
Somebody needs to get these fools a map and point out this place ain't the USA or Europe. We've got six cities with 1m+ populations, including Auckland. Two of those cities have no top level RL, and two more are largely owned by other sports.
Curtis Scott's old lawyer was right - these idiots live in their own kingdom.
I believe it is true. It was roughly in the era when Raiders were told they could "wither on the vine" for all some cared at HQ. It may not (hopefully) be representative of all the execs but certainly one or two at least.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/don-fu ... qjc5m.html
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Yeah the fact the Grand Final replay is in Perth of all places really sucks....

This is why I finally bit the bullet and got a season ticket in Canberra instead of an away member cause I’ll be going to more games at Bruce then Sydney.

And although I love using my works corporate box at ANZ, I’m glad we play the Bulldogs at Suncorp...we might finally get a win at Suncorp! And I’ll be there

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Agree entirely! Never seen a season as bad as this for Sydney fans in respect to game attendance.

I'm sure the Sydney stadium renovations have something to do with it as well but will barely make an away game this year until we hit the grand final at SCG.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gangrenous wrote: February 24, 2020, 6:27 am
Bay53 wrote: This year there does have to be some slack given for the fact that this year there are a number of grounds unavailable and of course we choose to play away at Magic Round so that is going to be against another team not from
Heaven forbid they make magic round a home game for the Broncos
I don’t think the NRL has forced any club to make it a home game. They have put up the money and the same 8 teams that accepted last year have chosen to be the home teams again this year.

Manly had previously chosen to take their home game against Brisbane to Suncorp and that has continued with the Magic Round.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Sydney fans rorted

Post by gangrenous »

Or how about they just tell the Broncos “the game is at your home, It’s a home game” and put up the money for 7 teams?!

Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Agreed. I was looking at this last night and had to add in the Central Coast game as the only other relatively close option. I am away for a couple of the weekends we do play here so not happy.

It's Bull.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I've subbed in Wagga for a trip to Sydney - I might make the game at Penrith but that's about it really. Shame, I was looking forward to another trip to Bankwest and that nicely comfy Parkroyal nearby.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Oh yeah. Forgot to add that the Penrith game is Easter Sunday as well. So for a lot of people that’s no good too.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gangrenous wrote: February 24, 2020, 5:05 pm Or how about they just tell the Broncos “the game is at your home, It’s a home game” and put up the money for 7 teams?!
Because they are trying to get more content at Suncorp not less.

To be fair by far the second biggest city and currently the best venue gets 12 games a year plus the magic round.

I don’t think that is over the top.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Best way to get more content at Lang Park is admit the Brisbane Bombers as soon as possible, not add to the advantages of the Brisbane Broncos.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Bombers is a **** terrible name.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:It has been an issue with the NRL/NSWRL for ever.

Everyone knows NSW stands for Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong... especially in Rugby League. The Raiders are only in the comp because the Campbelltown bid fell over.
Really? I hadn't actually heard this. Why would a Campbelltown bid be looked at favourably when the Magpies were struggling financially at that time.

What game are we playing in Magic rd? Hoping it's earlier in the weekend than last year - the ground was **** by the time we played.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: February 24, 2020, 9:26 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:It has been an issue with the NRL/NSWRL for ever.

Really? I hadn't actually heard this. Why would a Campbelltown bid be looked at favourably when the Magpies were struggling financially at that time.

What game are we playing in Magic rd? Hoping it's earlier in the weekend than last year - the ground was **** by the time we played.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
This tells the story: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22094#p668881

Western Suburbs did not relocate to Campbelltown until 1987.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:Best way to get more content at Lang Park is admit the Brisbane Bombers as soon as possible, not add to the advantages of the Brisbane Broncos.
I would rather see the Dolphins get the nod.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I reckon Newcastle fans get it worse tbh. No game in what, 4 years?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah 2016 draw was the last game

The two games I'd be keen to go to are Newcastle and Wollongong, but Wollongong is always on a Sunday

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk