New Zealand Warriors reportedly interested in signing Jack Murchie

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

New Zealand Warriors reportedly interested in signing Jack Murchie

Post by kiwi raider »

Article over here that states the Warriors are after Murchie, would be a pretty random player to name so you would think there must be something behind it.

Sam Lisone likely on his way out at Warriors as club eye replacement options

The Warriors are likely to let Sam Lisone leave the club, even with Bunty Afoa picking up a season-ending injury. There have already been discussions at the Penrose-based club about who to bring in for Lisone, with one of the names understood to be the Canberra Raiders' Jack Murchie. Murchie comes off contract at the end of the season, so would need an early release.

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/wa ... nt-options
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by greeneyed »

I wouldn't want to lose Murchie, he's shown so much promise in the past, but he might be feeling like a path to first grade is presently blocked.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2020, 8:15 pm I wouldn't want to lose Murchie, he's shown so much promise in the past, but he might be feeling like a path to first grade is presently blocked.
Lost Liam Knight to Souths where he’s starring, and just signed a four year extension. Losing Murchie might not be a good idea.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

sprintman wrote: February 19, 2020, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2020, 8:15 pm I wouldn't want to lose Murchie, he's shown so much promise in the past, but he might be feeling like a path to first grade is presently blocked.
Lost Liam Knight to Souths where he’s starring, and just signed a four year extension. Losing Murchie might not be a good idea.
Starring is a bit of an exaggeration. He's done well to secure a spot in their top 17. Works hard but still has very questionable hands.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Knight and mitch barnett showed so much more promise than murchie has with the opportunities he has had to date. I thought its looked as though he has bulked up over the off-season and was looking to play with a bit more aggression in the 9s, which in turn led to some errors. Id like to keep him provided we dont need to break the bank but i wouldnt be shattered if he left for a better opportunity
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I like the look of Murchie in the middle. Not sure on his motor, but he definitely has the combination of strength, legspeed and footwork to make an impact. I'm not surprised other clubs are looking closely at him.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 19, 2020, 10:51 pm
Starring is a bit of an exaggeration. He's done well to secure a spot in their top 17. Works hard but still has very questionable hands.
Cook and Bennett have said he will lead their pack this yr.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yes but he has yet to star. This year will be a career year for him if it goes well.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 20, 2020, 11:46 am
Is that because he's been "starring" for them or because they've run out of Burgesses?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: February 20, 2020, 6:54 am I like the look of Murchie in the middle. Not sure on his motor, but he definitely has the combination of strength, legspeed and footwork to make an impact. I'm not surprised other clubs are looking closely at him.
At the 9s he looked a bit big to be playing on the edge. There's plenty of opportunity for a young middle forward at the Raiders. Paps and Taps are cemented in. Sia is at the back end of his career. It's there for whoever takes the biggest steps forward out of Horse, Guler, Murchie and Young.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Horsburgh and Guler should be absolutely locked in as first graders from here forward barring injury pretty much. That leaves Sutton, Lui, Havili, Young and Murchie fighting for 2 bench spots.

Hors will play Origin this year barring injury I'd say.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2020, 12:29 pm
Matt wrote: February 20, 2020, 11:46 am
Is that because he's been "starring" for them or because they've run out of Burgesses?
Youre right, the Burgi are no longer plural, as only Tom remains, but last yr he proved what all the Jr coaches and 'experts' believed, that he had ability to be a good FGer. 'Starring' is probably overstating, but he is better than avg. The only reason I dont think we missed a trick by losing him, is that we have Guler, Horse and Young, should he keep his hands to himself.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: February 20, 2020, 12:42 pm Horsburgh and Guler should be absolutely locked in as first graders from here forward barring injury pretty much. That leaves Sutton, Lui, Havili, Young and Murchie fighting for 2 bench spots.

'Should' is the key word there. They have to maintain their trajectory to do that. They won't get the same rookie latitude from this point on. The main thing you would like to see from both is an increased workload without impacting performance.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2020, 2:13 pm
julian87 wrote: February 20, 2020, 12:42 pm Horsburgh and Guler should be absolutely locked in as first graders from here forward barring injury pretty much. That leaves Sutton, Lui, Havili, Young and Murchie fighting for 2 bench spots.

'Should' is the key word there. They have to maintain their trajectory to do that. They won't get the same rookie latitude from this point on. The main thing you would like to see from both is an increased workload without impacting performance.
Looking at the Mounties trail team named today, looks like its Lui vs Guler for that last bench spot. I suspect Sutton and Havili will both be there too. So my 4 is, Havili, Horse, Sutton and Lui/Guler
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 20, 2020, 2:53 pm

Looking at the Mounties trail team named today, looks like its Lui vs Guler for that last bench spot. I suspect Sutton and Havili will both be there too. So my 4 is, Havili, Horse, Sutton and Lui/Guler
Lui played about 2 mins of the 9s. Means he's no chance of 1st grade. ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart made it pretty clear in The Canberra Times this week that he's playing middles in this game, based on their need to get miles in the legs... and match fitness. After last year, I'm not seeing these lists as a pointer for first grade Round 1!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm not quite putting Guler in the same category as Horsburgh. I think Red has demonstrated an ability to come in and change the tempo of a game or impose himself in both attack and defence. Guler has proven an ability to come in and do a job, but at a level no different to any other 4th or 5th choice front rower. Big year for both of them to see how they progress. Guler certainly took a step up later in the season.

I agree that it's important that their impact isn't diminished with more minutes.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

of course souths say they think knight will star in their pack because they spent all their $$ in the backs and have a very weak list of front rowers, he was ok for souths last year as he was for us, i hardly think he got much better at souths, just more oppertunity and minutes.
raider 4 life
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The improvement in Guler and Horsburgh is what Stuart has been fighting for since he came here.

Competition for spots.

Those two had to push themselves past Lui and Sutton. It’s now game on for all the second tier forwards to try and win a position. May the best man win.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Ricky Stuart made it pretty clear in The Canberra Times this week that he's playing middles in this game, based on their need to get miles in the legs... and match fitness. After last year, I'm not seeing these lists as a pointer for first grade Round 1!
Yes, Lui didn't play much, if at all, during the trials last year and I (and others) took it as a sign he was on the outer. But he was named in rd 1.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Sutton needs to step up or consider his future imho.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

sprintman wrote: February 20, 2020, 7:39 pm Sutton needs to step up or consider his future imho.
I'm on the fence about him right now. Looks great sometimes and others seems to struggle with the pace.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2020, 8:28 pm
sprintman wrote: February 20, 2020, 7:39 pm Sutton needs to step up or consider his future imho.
I'm on the fence about him right now. Looks great sometimes and others seems to struggle with the pace.
Didn’t get an injury free pre season last year. A tad short on fitness maybe?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm hoping Sutton has a big year. I've said elsewhere on the GH that he looked genuinely disappointed with how he had played last year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: New Zealand Warriors reportedly interested in signing Jack Murchie

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Jack Murchie reportedly keen to head to Auckland and the New Zealand Warriors, for the chance of more first grade

The Warriors have released Sam Lisone to the Titans, meaning they have two free spots on their roster for this season. The Warriors are keen on Canberra Raiders 22-year-old forward Jack Murchie.

Murchie would need a release to join the Warriors as he's in the last year of his contract with Canberra. But it is understood he is keen to come to Auckland, where he would have a better opportunity to get game time.

Read more: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 543d7.html
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’d be holding onto him for this year. He’s under contract and he’s a capable first grade reserve. I wouldn’t disagree if the club decided not to stand in his way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: February 22, 2020, 5:21 pm I’d be holding onto him for this year. He’s under contract and he’s a capable first grade reserve. I wouldn’t disagree if the club decided not to stand in his way though.

Agree.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If the guy wants out, you let them go. He has barely sniffed FG since 20s despite all the wraps.
There are plenty of forwards running around at other clubs looking for chances.
Also, maybe that Leo Thompson gets a run.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

That's a shame.

Boy the Warriors are struggling. What is going so wrong with their development and junior pathways into that team?
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2020, 5:39 pm
Danaman137 wrote: February 22, 2020, 5:21 pm I’d be holding onto him for this year. He’s under contract and he’s a capable first grade reserve. I wouldn’t disagree if the club decided not to stand in his way though.

Agree.
I definitely wouldn’t be letting him go. If he wants more time hook in like horse does and treat every minute of every game you play as an opportunity to show your wares and your want. Stick has shown if you have a crack and you’re playing well then you get your shot. What you do with it determines if you keep it. As it should be in successful professional sports teams
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

It would be a huge gamble for him to go, many a career has died across the ditch
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

cat wrote:It would be a huge gamble for him to go, many a career has died across the ditch
Now that’s a great point. I do wonder if another year with the Raiders and learning from some of our forwards would be a better long term decision for your career.

So many of these blokes disappear amongst the Warriors system.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

This would make me kind of sad, because I think he really has potential, but we do have a bit of a traffic jam and if he wants to play firsts I can understand it.

That said, I don't think it's harmful to have a logjam of forwards reminding Hudson Young not to **** up again. Horse is very very good and I thought Guler's back half of last year was outstanding, really underrated. I'd like to see Ryan Sutton pick up some more and of course I'm a big proponent of Lui, who I think is really underrated by folks here. So, when you look at that lineup of names...still, what if something goes wrong?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd be a bit disappointed if he goes. Unless Warriors are dangling a certain top 17 spot, surely he'd fancy his chances here...

Papa, Sia, Tapine, Hors, Guler- let's say they are locks (and Guler should be an inspiration that you can push your way in)...

Lui, Sutton, Young- one of whom was dropped last year... one is suspended for a month and on his last chance at the club and far from established... one of whom, well if you looked at his form last years back end and don't think you can top it then by all means leave.

There's at best a starting bench spot up for grabs, at worst he's one injury, suspension or origin period away from debut...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't think we can really afford to let him go honestly.

Young misses the first 5 weeks. John Bateman might miss the start of the season. Luke Bateman will miss the first 8 or more weeks. Collins isn't in Stuart's plans at all. Scott and Kris might be missing.

We could possibly only have 1 fit forward reserve to start the season if we let Murchie go.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.