Canberra Raiders veteran Sia Soliola wants to play on

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Off contract at the end of this year, Canberra’s inspirational warrior Sia Soliola says he is determined to show this season shouldn’t be his last.

“Realistically I could give myself a couple of more years,” Soliola said. “Beyond that I am not too sure. Like anything you’d like to think you could get it sorted out as soon as possible. But at the same time I am pretty realistic about how the process works. And I know if I am playing the footy Rick wants from me then things just seem to fall into place.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 594aa8a806
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders veteran Sia Soliola wants to play on

Post by zim »

Really allows them to transition well this year and next. Soliola off the bench full time in 2021.
I reckon Lui could head to the super league for a couple of years 2021, 2022.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Sia's only 33 but it feels like he's been around for at least 20 years.

Happy for him to stay on if he's still got the motivation - it's clear he keeps himself in terrific condition.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:Really allows them to transition well this year and next. Soliola off the bench full time in 2021.
I reckon Lui could head to the super league for a couple of years 2021, 2022.
If Murch moves into the front row I'm happy for Lui to move on. Soliola can do what he wants, he'll know when it's time to move on

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: February 18, 2020, 1:01 pm Sia's only 33 but it feels like he's been around for at least 20 years.

Happy for him to stay on if he's still got the motivation - it's clear he keeps himself in terrific condition.
He won a NSW Premier League premiership in 2004, NRL debut in 2005. That's not far off 20 years.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah, Im 32 and i feel like i've been watching Sia play footy for almost all my life :lol:
His career has been really rather incredible when you tally it up. Incredibly underrated footballer and a giant as a leader

I think he's got more years in him as a middle, and the hope is the young middles step up and allow us to continue to keep some miles off Sia in the regular season and let him ramp up in the post season.

I really feel this guy more than any other has helped the culture of the club and the moment he wants to hang em up, the club has to find him a role to keep him involved imo
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I think people underestimate the impact sia has on the team and club as a whole.
I believe he has made papa into the confident player he is now and really leads the younger players.

As much as Ricky has changed the culture at our club so has sia.

He is the modern day Wiki.
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

cat wrote:I think people underestimate the impact sia has on the team and club as a whole.
I believe he has made papa into the confident player he is now and really leads the younger players.

There’s a reason blokes like Sia and Lui win the annual coaches award. They set the standard off the field, support the coach and just as importantly support their teammates.

They may not be the greatest players in the team (I’m primarily talking Lui here) but every club needs these kind of leaders in their forward pack. Who better could Hors, Guler and Murchie learn the ins and outs of being an NRL player from than a superstar like Paps and a professional like Sia?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I also need to give Josh Hodgson a wrap, talk about a player who gives good ball to his forwards and gets them to run good lines.

He’s overtaken Cam Smith in this one area. If I was a young forward I’d be knocking the Raiders door down to play with Hodgo.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

cat wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:06 pm I think people underestimate the impact sia has on the team and club as a whole.

Yup. Pretty unbelievable fans here voted Fensom over him in the team of the decade. I've mentioned that to a couple neutrals and they've had a good old laugh. Sia has been amazing for us since 2015 on and off the paddock.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

cat wrote:He is the modern day Wiki.
This was the day Wiki transferred his powers to Soliola

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:20 pm
cat wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:06 pm I think people underestimate the impact sia has on the team and club as a whole.

Yup. Pretty unbelievable fans here voted Fensom over him in the team of the decade. I've mentioned that to a couple neutrals and they've had a good old laugh. Sia has been amazing for us since 2015 on and off the paddock.
I don't like this post.

I love Sia. He was a great signing. One of our best ever. His time as a second rower here were superb and considering we signed him because Proctor said no is amazing. To this day he's a better payer than Proctor.

Shaun Fensom was a great, tough player for us in a tough period. He was more than a workhorse, he was a smart attacker and aleader by action as well. Soliola obviously didn't make the 13 because he's played so many different positions in his time here. He probably made the most impact early as a second rower so he's probably more up against Bateman than Fensom anyway. He's played centre as well but would have played prop/bench prop more often than the backrow too.

Those team selections should be individual not team based....like many things that aren't. Much like signings, players commanding more money because they've come from success nearly always kills the new team; Proctor again the classic example. Fensom deserved his spot IMO.

Soliola is a gun. Has been one of our greatest signings. His spot on the bench in our team of the decade is correct though imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Yup over 50% won't like that post. Unfortunately for you I'm entitled to my opinion. Fensom was a good honest toiler, nice guy too. As soon as we started attracting players of the class of Sia he was swiftly moved on at the ripe old age of 28.

The fact he couldn't male first grade smack bang in the middle of his prime as soon as we became competitive is a good indicator there are some rose coloured glasses involved.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Or that the game changed in relation to lock forward play.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2020, 5:56 am Or that the game changed in relation to lock forward play.
Correct. The game very quickly shifted away from people like Fensom, he was mid career and it's hard to pivot when that happens. He's victim of circumstance and evolution.

I bet if i went back and found posts from Roger at the time Fensom was at his peak, it would be nothing but praise. And rightly so. He was great for us during that early period of his career when his style suited the footy being played, and when it moved away from that he very quickly became obsolete. But it's unfair to retrospectively judge his early days against criteria of the new style. Against his peers at his peak, he was as good or better than 95% of forwards
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I remeber having a yarn with toungie in 08 and we were speaking about the culture and the leaders at the club.. toddy was in the media for all the wrong reasons etc. He commented how the loss of wiki had a massive impact on the club. Its possibly the greatest endorsement i could attribute any player, but i reckon sia has a similar affect on our current group. Its hard to describe it and you often dont know its there till its gone, but this bloke represents everything that is good about our culture and i am loath to think that at some point he will need to retire
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Sorry cat, just realised i regurgitated the same message you had pointed out. Needless to say i am in agreement
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think fensom was just busted in the end which is hardly surprising given he had absolutely no regard for his own wellbeing, continuously placing the club interests ahead of his own
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I love Sia. Absolutely has been a key in turning us from a rabble into a legitimate NRL team that can beat anyone in the comp. I hope he plays for as long as he can perform. I am actually hoping Ricky puts him on the bench this season as I feel it will help extend his career and honestly we would have one of the best bench forwards in the comp if he did.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Would love Sia to stay at the club permanently in whatever capacity.
Definitely a great impact player to have off the bench for now.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

FROG wrote: February 19, 2020, 7:49 am Sorry cat, just realised i regurgitated the same message you had pointed out. Needless to say i am in agreement
No problem :)

Sia appears to be very settled in Canberra, fingers crossed we can work something out so he stays involved with the team for decades to come

I also think we only hear a third of the great things he does off the field. He is one special human being
Vaccinated
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: February 19, 2020, 7:42 am
greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2020, 5:56 am Or that the game changed in relation to lock forward play.
Correct. The game very quickly shifted away from people like Fensom, he was mid career and it's hard to pivot when that happens. He's victim of circumstance and evolution.

I bet if i went back and found posts from Roger at the time Fensom was at his peak, it would be nothing but praise. And rightly so. He was great for us during that early period of his career when his style suited the footy being played, and when it moved away from that he very quickly became obsolete. But it's unfair to retrospectively judge his early days against criteria of the new style. Against his peers at his peak, he was as good or better than 95% of forwards
Yup and the premier players in the game adapt. No doubt Fensom's whole hearted style of play also contributed to his relatively short career. I'd have him on the bench in the all decade team, but head to head with Sia there is just too much of a gap in talent and physical impact.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 19, 2020, 5:51 am Yup over 50% won't like that post. Unfortunately for you I'm entitled to my opinion. Fensom was a good honest toiler, nice guy too. As soon as we started attracting players of the class of Sia he was swiftly moved on at the ripe old age of 28.

The fact he couldn't male first grade smack bang in the middle of his prime as soon as we became competitive is a good indicator there are some rose coloured glasses involved.
That sort of player's prime is definitely when they're young and fit IMO and as others have said the game and how it is played moved pretty swiftly away from the Fensoms, Johnsons and Lucks. They're now endangered if not extinct.

Did Soliola even play a full season of lock for Canberra? I think he was there in 16 but also used off the bench and from 17 onwards pretty much played prop and bench prop.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

julian87 wrote: February 19, 2020, 9:42 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 19, 2020, 5:51 am Yup over 50% won't like that post. Unfortunately for you I'm entitled to my opinion. Fensom was a good honest toiler, nice guy too. As soon as we started attracting players of the class of Sia he was swiftly moved on at the ripe old age of 28.

That sort of player's prime is definitely when they're young and fit IMO and as others have said the game and how it is played moved pretty swiftly away from the Fensoms, Johnsons and Lucks. They're now endangered if not extinct.

Did Soliola even play a full season of lock for Canberra? I think he was there in 16 but also used off the bench and from 17 onwards pretty much played prop and bench prop.
Soliola played on 16 games at lock: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33817

Fensom the deserved winner of that poll IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 19, 2020, 9:31 am

Yup and the premier players in the game adapt. No doubt Fensom's whole hearted style of play also contributed to his relatively short career. I'd have him on the bench in the all decade team, but head to head with Sia there is just too much of a gap in talent and physical impact.
Some premier players are able to adapt, and some can't and are then no longer premier players.
The ability to adapt and evolve with the sport is what makes you an all time great. But not being capable of that evolution doesnt diminish what you achieved or what sort of player you were in the sport prior to the evolution.

Fensom was a very good player, he was not able to adapt, and thus became a very not good player. But you cant just ignore the first part of his career and ignore it and dismiss it because he never adapted.

You're a basketball guy, yeah? This is like the Carmelo argument. People can say what ever they want to say about him now, and how his iso ball, jab step long two stuff just doesnt wash in today's basketball, and they're right. He doesnt help you win games in today's NBA... but before that evolution he was one of the best 5-10 players in the league. You cant just say because his style doesnt suit the game today that he was NEVER good.

Fensom debuted in 2009 and up until probably 2014-15, his style and what he gave his team made hugely positive contributions towards winning games. That's no long the case, but again, you cant just retroactively say he always sucked because he's his style isnt relevant now
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

cat wrote:
FROG wrote: February 19, 2020, 7:49 am Sorry cat, just realised i regurgitated the same message you had pointed out. Needless to say i am in agreement
No problem :)

Sia appears to be very settled in Canberra, fingers crossed we can work something out so he stays involved with the team for decades to come

I also think we only hear a third of the great things he does off the field. He is one special human being
I went to the mcdonalds family christmas day at epic last year and sia was there with his kids, he was spending the day enjoying it with them. I was talking to one of the workers there and he was telling me that he would off his own bat go and give the people running the rides a break and run drinks to them and helped when ever needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Sia can do whatever the hell he wants.

I put full trust in him to not ask for more than he is worth, and to know exactly when the right time is for him to hang up the boots and move into a mentorship role.

He's one of a kind.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

julian87 wrote: February 18, 2020, 11:28 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 18, 2020, 9:20 pm

100%, he is def behind the culture at this club
raider 4 life
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

EJ wrote: February 18, 2020, 10:06 pm
cat wrote:He is the modern day Wiki.
This was the day Wiki transferred his powers to Soliola

Oh wow. I'd forgotten about that.

Imagine trying to tackle that thing. :shock: :nooo
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: February 19, 2020, 11:46 am

Some premier players are able to adapt, and some can't and are then no longer premier players.
The ability to adapt and evolve with the sport is what makes you an all time great. But not being capable of that evolution doesnt diminish what you achieved or what sort of player you were in the sport prior to the evolution.

Fensom was a very good player, he was not able to adapt, and thus became a very not good player. But you cant just ignore the first part of his career and ignore it and dismiss it because he never adapted.

You're a basketball guy, yeah? This is like the Carmelo argument. People can say what ever they want to say about him now, and how his iso ball, jab step long two stuff just doesnt wash in today's basketball, and they're right. He doesnt help you win games in today's NBA... but before that evolution he was one of the best 5-10 players in the league. You cant just say because his style doesnt suit the game today that he was NEVER good.

Fensom debuted in 2009 and up until probably 2014-15, his style and what he gave his team made hugely positive contributions towards winning games. That's no long the case, but again, you cant just retroactively say he always sucked because he's his style isnt relevant now
That's a pretty insightful comparison.

In saying that, I love the Fenno and bloody hate Carmelo Anthony. :lol: I was over watching the mighty Celts play the Thunder a couple of years ago. Oklahoma completely choked on the back of Anthony being a complete passenger in the 4th. "Get the ball to Melo" I was screaming down the stretch. Oh how I laughed.

Good times. Gooood times.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He struggled a bit last year.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: February 19, 2020, 8:36 pm He struggled a bit last year.

I expected him to... but I don't think he did. He was pretty effective. Low errors, still breaking the odd tackle, good yards, finds his front, basically no defensive errors. Whichever way you want to slice it Sia was one of our most effective props last year- the only reason I don't give him outright second best is Hors' excellent offload game but that's a bit of an instruction thing- young Hors has some skill and should be showing it, Sia should be playing it tight.

Ideally this year, Sia produces just more of the same and Hors and Guler slide past him as 2nd and 3rd props by end season. Sia doing exactly the same but now as our 4th prop vs Lui or Sutton doing that role... That's exciting.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: February 19, 2020, 11:46 am

As you said Melo was a top 5-10 guy in his prime, even at the time you'd find plenty argued against his style. Hard games to compare as in the NBA with only 5 players on the court they have a much greater ability to influence the game, so Melo shone much brighter as an individual then Fenno. I would have had Fenno in the 40 - 60 top ranked players in the game for a a few seasons, and even that ranking probably has a bit of Raiders bias in it. He was a fantasy star no doubt about that, and very reliable defensively. I don't think he ever had a massive impact on our success as a team though, which is not necessarily an unfavourable thing to say as we won about 40% of our games over his prime.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Hard not to love both Fenno and Sia, what makes it more pronounced is by all accounts they are nice guys in personal life.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 20, 2020, 8:35 am I don't think he ever had a massive impact on our success as a team though, which is not necessarily an unfavourable thing to say as we won about 40% of our games over his prime.
I'd argue strongly one of the reasons such poor squads were able to muster a 40% win rate was because of Fensom.
Without his workrate and effort, i think we'd be much closer to 25-30% over that period. Those teams were... just dreadful in many of the key areas of the game