Canberra Raiders back Michael Oldfield to step up

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Same Old same Old: Canberra Raiders back Michael Oldfield to step up when needed

It almost sums up Michael Oldfield's NRL career - an opportunity could open up for the Canberra Raiders back thanks to the uncertainty surrounding Curtis Scott. But it might not and, as usual, all Oldfield can do is be ready for when an opportunity comes.

"Obviously Curtis has had a little mishap there, but we don't know how things are going to play out. For me it's the same thing every year. It's just put myself in the best shape and form I can be.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders back Michael Oldfield

Post by Seiffert82 »

He's been a hell of a handy pickup, especially out on the wing.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders back Michael Oldfield to step up

Post by FROG »

Agree. Incredible depth player who knows his place and always does his job
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

The try he scored last year turning on the afterburners was incredible.

It's a yes please for me, ticks all the boxes.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's an NRL standard winger. Could start at any number of clubs.
He comes in and does his job and does it well as a winger... would like to avoid him being used as a centre.. but he did have solid performances there too

Nothing but love for Oldy
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

just a bit injury prone but I'd love to see his gps peak speeds

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s not often your depth is a fan favourite. It’s hard not to love what he brings to the team!
Last edited by gangrenous on February 13, 2020, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

After his initial stint with Manly he found it hard to crack 1st grade. At Panthers he was also a victim of the over supply of outside backs. Shifting to the Raiders let him move a couple of spots up the depth chart. Doesn't let us down when he's called upon and has a real knack for sniffing a try.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I was surprised how good he was on the wing, ill look forward to him playing whenever he gets named.
Great person to have in the squad.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yep. I never have a worry when he comes in, on the contrary I actively enjoy watching him play. If the team shapes up with him as our starting winger for the year, I'm fine with that- my only concern would be depth behind him.

I love the energy he brings to rucking out off our line. He goes HAM and it's exciting. Hopefully inspires the others too- I remember one game last year he just crashed right through their line as they tried to pin us down. Solid size and contact in defence too.

The pace is welcome. I guess his hands are just average, which is maybe why he never quite nailed down an NRL spot. His style is also very direct. He had one wobbly game at centre but IIRC it was vs Latrell...
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

Haven't had this much love for a backup winger since King Carey.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ezy wrote: February 26, 2020, 2:34 pm Haven't had this much love for a backup winger since King Carey.
Phil Carey?

There's still a few old games on youtube where he gets a run. He was a good 'un.
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

BadnMean wrote: February 26, 2020, 5:25 pm
Ezy wrote: February 26, 2020, 2:34 pm Haven't had this much love for a backup winger since King Carey.
Phil Carey?

There's still a few old games on youtube where he gets a run. He was a good 'un.
The one and only ;) Those flowing golden locks.....
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Curtis had a "little mishap"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

He's fantastic and I love him. I have two abiding memories:

1. The long-range try from the base of the scrum against the Cowboys where he literally turned the afterburners on so quickly he was through before they even realised he had the ball and he did the length-of-the-field sprint in like ten seconds (I'm pretty sure I actually timed it)

2. I don't remember who we were playing, but the gap was closing...and Oldy shot through it so quickly the two defenders literally faceplanted each other.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:Yep. I never have a worry when he comes in, on the contrary I actively enjoy watching him play. If the team shapes up with him as our starting winger for the year, I'm fine with that- my only concern would be depth behind him.

I love the energy he brings to rucking out off our line. He goes HAM and it's exciting. Hopefully inspires the others too- I remember one game last year he just crashed right through their line as they tried to pin us down. Solid size and contact in defence too.

The pace is welcome. I guess his hands are just average, which is maybe why he never quite nailed down an NRL spot. His style is also very direct. He had one wobbly game at centre but IIRC it was vs Latrell...
He was busted in that game too from memory, but yeah Mitchell took him to the cleaners

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We all like and respect Michael Oldfield, but I think players like Harley Smith Shield or Matt Timoko have a higher ceiling. I see an argument for experience in the side, given the injuries etc in the squad. But best to start the youngsters on their path as soon as we can, IMO.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Oldfield if we need a wing replacement, HSS if we need a centre replacement

In saying that, if Scott is out I wouldn’t be opposed to
1. CNK
2. Buckets
3. Toots
3. Cotric
4. Oldbeard
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2020, 6:47 pm We all like and respect Michael Oldfield, but I think players like Harley Smith Shield or Matt Timoko have a higher ceiling. I see an argument for experience in the side, given the injuries etc in the squad. But best to start the youngsters on their path as soon as we can, IMO.
i would normally agree, im an agist and ceiling over floor guy
But honestly, it's the titans, Oldy can do a job and help us get off on the right foot, in this circumstance, given the test of depth and new combinations, i think a conservative approach would be the way to go

That said, if Stick rolled the dice on one of the young kids, philisophically, i couldnt knock it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree with botty. 1 Oldbeard please.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: March 2, 2020, 7:19 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2020, 6:47 pm We all like and respect Michael Oldfield, but I think players like Harley Smith Shield or Matt Timoko have a higher ceiling. I see an argument for experience in the side, given the injuries etc in the squad. But best to start the youngsters on their path as soon as we can, IMO.
i would normally agree, im an agist and ceiling over floor guy
But honestly, it's the titans, Oldy can do a job and help us get off on the right foot, in this circumstance, given the test of depth and new combinations, i think a conservative approach would be the way to go

That said, if Stick rolled the dice on one of the young kids, philisophically, i couldnt knock it.
I agree with this.

I also recognise that the NRL is a very long season given the nature of the sport and toughness of the top competition though. We're as thin as I've seen the first grade side start the season for aaaaaages given Bateman, Bateman, Kris, Young, Leilua leaving, the Scott dilemma, maybe Havili and Sutton to miss round one. With that happening I'd be backing experience to start us off.

But as Bot said you pretty much have to back Ricky as it stands.

......... is Timoko officially top squad yet? It's potentially concerning that he might not be but Valemei is IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We don’t have any announcements yet on Timoko or Spencer.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Spencer reminds me of Tongue, the build and headgear I suppose

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer