Raiders reflect on the 2019 Grand Final

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders reflect on the 2019 Grand Final

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton reveals he hasn’t watched the grand final... and that the Green Machine doesn't talk about "six again"

It’s time to add Jack Wighton to the list of NRL superstars.

“I haven’t re-watched the grand final yet and I don’t think I will. It’s done – it’s buried. The six-again thing that’s just rugby league. We don’t mention it at training but I still get people coming up in the street though and saying six-again – that’s the only time I ever hear it.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 610d0272ac
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Jack Wighton reflects on the 2019 Grand Final

Post by Seiffert82 »

I bet he wouldn't get tired of that at all.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Doubt he'd care

It the times I've seen him around and said g'day he seems pretty chilled out

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Until you wave goodbye with your hand in the air and he goes all Mike Tyson on your ass.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Really, haven't watched the grand final reply. Come on! Watching film of this game is a great opportunity to see how little lapses in concentration is the difference between winning the big one and being an also ran. Turning around slowly with your back to the play the ball on your try line costs you a try. Taking the wrong option with a pass between winger and centre costs you a try.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Would you want to relive something that painful?

I recall that Blocker Roach, Ben Elias and some other player hadn't watched the '89 GF until a year or so ago when Foxsports sat them down on the couch.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

save it to watch before the next gf we make
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

yurithe1 wrote:Would you want to relive something that painful?

I recall that Blocker Roach, Ben Elias and some other player hadn't watched the '89 GF until a year or so ago when Foxsports sat them down on the couch.
That’s why I now feel we should watch it.

Not watching it affected Balmain players and their performances over the next few seasons. They mellowed after they rewatched the game. I think we have to face up to the game and learn from it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've watched it a couple of times. Certainly painful moments, but so much to be happy about with regards to our intensity and composure, especially after the first 15 mins.

As far as the players go, yeah certainly a few things to learn from the game. It shouldn't haunt them though.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I don’t think I’ve ever had such mixed feelings about an event in my life ever.

On one hand the loss is painful for obvious reasons, and it makes you anxious that you may have missed your one chance at glory, and the next one might not come around for many many years.

On the other hand I have fond memories of grand final day.

Getting about north shore Sydney in the morning in my raiders jersey.

going down into a very green city for pre match beers and having chats with random people from the Raiders diaspora.

Jumping into the trains bound for Olympic Park, packed with raiders fans.

Getting out of the station to a proper sea of green.

Having an absolute pre match party in the beer garden, capped off by the memorable spray given to the roosters as they had to walk through.

And finally, the game itself, which, aside form the result and the controversies was a classic GF battle and one we can be proud of.

God I so desperately want to see us win the premiership.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, that closely reflects my experience of the day. So much fun.

Looking forward to doing it again this year. 😁
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hear hear.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Mickey_Raider wrote: February 22, 2020, 10:23 pm
Jumping into the trains bound for Olympic Park, packed with raiders fans.

Getting out of the station to a proper sea of green.
Yes. That's the moment that's really stuck in my mind. We walked out of the Olympic Park station and there were green jerseys everywhere. And then just as we came out, a spontaneous Viking Clap started. You'd have thought we were in the middle of Canberra, not Sydney. We literally invaded the Park.

When I went back to the stadium last weekend for the first time since the GF it was impossible not to think about it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

I haven’t watched the full replay either. But did watch last nights NRL review with the Roosters plays and Robo. So many good memories, I still had goosebumps watching some of the crowd. I thought the commentary from Robo around the time that Cronk was binned was interesting. Also we also really had them on them on the rack on that 2nd half. The players were saying that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If we'd scored when Joey Leilua didn't pass... I think we'd have broken them.

I've realised I've never watched the recording of the Fox League version of the commentary... here goes... !
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

2 almost identical flick passes. BJ stuffs his Latrell makes his. That is the season difference. Funny neither is with their team anymore.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Reflections on the 2019 Grand Final

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker reveals he is yet to watch grand final after heartbreaking ending

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has revealed that he hasn't watched the 2019 Grand Final yet.

"I haven’t, I’ve only seen little bits of footage of that grand final," he said. "Yeah, I probably won’t watch it, to be honest The only time that I would ever watch it is if we happen to win a grand final, maybe I’ll watch it first and the winning one afterwards to cheer me up."

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... h8eum3ed7w

VIDEO: Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker reveals he has not watched a replay of last year’s grand final loss to the Roosters and why Canberra can prove their doubters wrong in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/24/cro ... e-revenge/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kona_dream wrote: February 23, 2020, 7:13 pm 2 almost identical flick passes. BJ stuffs his Latrell makes his. That is the season difference. Funny neither is with their team anymore.
That's exactly how i felt coming out of the game and after watching the highlights a few months ago.
Probably not going to watch the full replay anytime soon but to me right now, if Beej's pass finds hands and Mitchell's finds grass, we're parading down Northbourne.

Two plays made the difference. They executed their's perfectly, we were slightly off. And that's how it is in these games, the margins are razor thin
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Raiders reflect on the 2019 Grand Final

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I can't believe I sat through 20 years of Sunday Footy Show / Sunday Roast / NRL 360 discussion about "one of these days a referee decision is going to cost a team a Premiership" and thought I had nothing to worry about in that regard.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders reflect on the 2019 Grand Final

Post by Seiffert82 »

Mitchell made a great pass after drawing the remaining defender. Leilua just needed to trust his winger and pass the ball. He just overcooked a simple play.

Anyway, that's history for you.