Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: 2020 NRL Nines: Teams and Game Day

Post by Neeeegz »

bonehead wrote: February 16, 2020, 8:23 am
Neeeegz wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 15, 2020, 7:58 pm
Johno wrote:Seems like a few injuries racking up, we've dodged a bullet in that regard
Is it dodging a bullet if you don’t show up to the gun fight?
Same thing hey, the team's that played their first graders will be quicker on the draw.
I've seen what happened in 2017 and 2018. I'm skeptical, especially against the wooden spooners, at home, on a Friday night free to air to start the season.
6pm fox game

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Cheers
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’d rather see an NRL touch tournament.

Each team pulls together their top 12 touch players.

Benji, Papenhuyzen, Moses, Ponga etc all running a muck.

Less injury risk, better participation of the most entertaining players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I posted yesterday the team was on the bus to the airport. Incorrect. They are spending this afternoon at a beach in Perth.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

yeh raiders wrote: February 16, 2020, 12:29 pm I’d rather see an NRL touch tournament.

Touch would be more like the nrl game so you wouldn't need to change your play and training as much
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: February 16, 2020, 5:24 pm
yeh raiders wrote: February 16, 2020, 12:29 pm I’d rather see an NRL touch tournament.

Touch would be more like the nrl game so you wouldn't need to change your play and training as much
How is touch footy more like 13 a side rugby league than nines?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:

No it wouldn't

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Ok i was wrong settle down
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The kids are alright! Six young stars who put their names up in lights at the Nines

Canberra may not have progressed past the pool stages, but they still showed they had plenty of young talent in their ranks. One such talent is Matt Timoko, who scored a double in his first game against Gold Coast using speed and power to get to the tryline on both occasions.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ec37048886
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Nines could land in Newcastle and Canberra in 2021 and 2022

Todd Greenberg has declared Nines footy is here to stay - with Newcastle and Canberra the leading host city contenders for 2021 and 2022.

"Our [TV audience] high point on Friday night was 200,000 viewers with an average of 160,000," Greenberg said. "The broadcast numbers are higher than the World Cup Nines and the previous Auckland Nines. The day one TV numbers are above the first day of the Test match (cricket) this summer, so it's clear Nines is a very good pre-season product for us."

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a40eb26c04
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greenberg says they are in final stages of negotiations for future host cities, with several local governments, both in regional NSW and Queensland... hopes to settle the venues in the next month or two.

Says they've been talking to "Canberra and Newcastle, we've been talking to Queensland, so we've got lots of options - it's just a matter of which ones we pick". Maybe no one told him the ACT seems to have said no...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, he seems to be talking out of his bum.

The ACT would be a terrible option for the 9s. Take it somewhere regional to promote the code.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 17, 2020, 3:46 pm Yeah, he seems to be talking out of his bum.

The ACT would be a terrible option for the 9s. Take it somewhere regional to promote the code.
We're regional...

The issue with the Nines is... you need a stadium that can hold at least 20,000... or at least has one decent, large grandstand... and has facilities that can accommodate 16 teams in terms of sheds and other facilities and proper spaces to warm up and down. You need stadiums with decent facilities for television broadcasts... plus radio and press media... and sponsors. You also need towns/cities that are large enough to accommodate 16 teams and the visitors that would want to attend.

Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra are the only real viable regional options in NSW. The Gold Coast and Townsville are the only viable regional places in Queensland... but they're likely to be too hot in February (you risk that just about anywhere in Australia, really). Melbourne would be pretty perfect, actually.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It think they just need to accept that the concept in its current form is garbage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola wrapped in cotton wool, but impressed by the Canberra Raiders young talent at the NRL Nines in Perth

Sis Soliola was one of the few top-line Canberra players in Perth for the NRL Nines but spent the majority of it wrapped in cotton wool. A host of rookies who did play caught his eye - including Harley Smith-Shields, Matt Timoko, Darby Medlyn, and a "nice surprise" in back-rower Kai O'Donnell.

"Daine Spencer, man, he was a little ball of energy. You couldn't slow him down, he really enjoyed it. For those guys to run out and be in that environment would have been a really good experience.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:It think they just need to accept that the concept in its current form is garbage.
Yeah it's a waste of time

The fact we had 4 of our squad not play a single minute and 1 had 1 run demonstrates that.

They should just can the rules around sending "big names" and name purely junior and fringe squads.

Let the clubs roll out the big names to mingle with fans only

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2020, 3:59 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: February 17, 2020, 3:46 pm Yeah, he seems to be talking out of his bum.

We're regional...

The issue with the Nines is... you need a stadium that can hold at least 20,000... or at least has one decent, large grandstand... and has facilities that can accommodate 16 teams in terms of sheds and other facilities and proper spaces to warm up and down. You need stadiums with decent facilities for television broadcasts... plus radio and press media... and sponsors. You also need towns/cities that are large enough to accommodate 16 teams and the visitors that would want to attend.

Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra are the only real viable regional options in NSW. The Gold Coast and Townsville are the only viable regional places in Queensland... but they're likely to be too hot in February (you risk that just about anywhere in Australia, really). Melbourne would be pretty perfect, actually.
You know what I mean. We may technically be regional, but we don't need NRL promoted here in the offseason. It would be a disaster in Canberra this time of year. Or any time for that matter.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm not clear what purpose the Nines is meant to achieve. Timing clashes with world club challenge and disrupts preseason preparations. The comp is a truncated format. Can't work out what benefit teams get from taking it seriously
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 17, 2020, 5:49 pm I'm not clear what purpose the Nines is meant to achieve. Timing clashes with world club challenge and disrupts preseason preparations. The comp is a truncated format. Can't work out what benefit teams get from taking it seriously
The purpose is rather clear imo.
The code is VERY deidcated to trying to carve itself out a 365 day calander.

They're looking at what the NBA and NFL do and see how they have annual events that keep them in the news cycle and discussion year round and trying to replicate it. To that point, they achieve their goal

No one is talking about the AFL, Union, Cricket or anything in this period. Its RL focused. The product and result dont matter. Content is king. Create events that generate discussion in the papers, talk on radio, new feeds... just keep everyone talking about RL. Which stars are playing? Great stories of young kids making a leap, worn down vets trying to make a mark, player X is doing this charity. Who looked good? Who's the next big thing? Here's a highlight, here's a sound bite from every coach fed into the local markets.

Content. Just keep feeding the beast. That's all it is. 365 day calander
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: February 17, 2020, 7:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 17, 2020, 5:49 pm I'm not clear what purpose the Nines is meant to achieve. Timing clashes with world club challenge and disrupts preseason preparations. The comp is a truncated format. Can't work out what benefit teams get from taking it seriously
But we already have the perfect continual stream of off season content? Young Perese just contributed. Its worked for years, why change it?
The purpose is rather clear imo.
The code is VERY deidcated to trying to carve itself out a 365 day calander.

They're looking at what the NBA and NFL do and see how they have annual events that keep them in the news cycle and discussion year round and trying to replicate it. To that point, they achieve their goal

No one is talking about the AFL, Union, Cricket or anything in this period. Its RL focused. The product and result dont matter. Content is king. Create events that generate discussion in the papers, talk on radio, new feeds... just keep everyone talking about RL. Which stars are playing? Great stories of young kids making a leap, worn down vets trying to make a mark, player X is doing this charity. Who looked good? Who's the next big thing? Here's a highlight, here's a sound bite from every coach fed into the local markets.

Content. Just keep feeding the beast. That's all it is. 365 day calander
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

All publicity is a good publicity...

But good publicity is better than bad. The code wants to be providing consistent and positive talking points to keep the code in the news cycle.
And the reason for that is two fold:

1. it gives the code year round coverage, which drives up rights costs, which brings money into the game
2. It offsets the bad stuff, it's hard to get bogged down in Jack DeBelin facing jail time on rape charges when you've got to run coveage on the International games, the nines, and then all the player transfer drama

Edit: it's one of MANY reasons why im pro draft. You want to create a calander, you want to own a period of the off season media wise? Do a draft and do it well, if you do it well and properly, you own the back pages for 2 months in the off season.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:I'm not clear what purpose the Nines is meant to achieve. Timing clashes with world club challenge and disrupts preseason preparations. The comp is a truncated format. Can't work out what benefit teams get from taking it seriously
Content. While people tune in, and Fox give them money for it, the NRL will continue to roll it out
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: February 17, 2020, 8:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I'm not clear what purpose the Nines is meant to achieve. Timing clashes with world club challenge and disrupts preseason preparations. The comp is a truncated format. Can't work out what benefit teams get from taking it seriously
Content. While people tune in, and Fox give them money for it, the NRL will continue to roll it out
Content for contents sake. Timing is terrible. We're in the lead up to the regular season. If they want content they can mandate at least 2 pre-season trials per team and boost coverage.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I watched all bar one game on Friday night

It was great to have rugby league on you could watch and absolutely not give a **** about. Similar to what the bbl is for cricket.

The world cup nines was the same

But in terms of making it a big deal that clubs will send full strength sides to, it's a waste of time

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders rookie Matt Timoko stakes NRL claim

There were plenty of youngsters who caught the eye in last weekend's NRL Nines - and none moreso than Raiders rookie Matthew Timoko. Timoko has been pencilled in to the Raiders' development squad this season, but could get a taste of NRL football if he continues to improve.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-n ... b1093aaf67
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: February 17, 2020, 4:59 pm
Northern Raider wrote:It think they just need to accept that the concept in its current form is garbage.
Yeah it's a waste of time

The fact we had 4 of our squad not play a single minute and 1 had 1 run demonstrates that.

They should just can the rules around sending "big names" and name purely junior and fringe squads.

Let the clubs roll out the big names to mingle with fans only

I don't think everyone views it as a waste of time. You had 5 or so teams sending pretty much the strongest side possible. I was looking forward to it, I thought Friday/Saturday worked better and I liked the mix of sides not giving a **** and sides trying to win it. The Saturday is a bit of a slog though as a viewer.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I went to the Nines and enjoyed it. I think it is a really fun footy carnival with a new game every 25 mins.

I think if it was played somewhere like Newcastle it would be a terrific success.

I know my idea won’t be popular with a lot of people but I would like to see it worth 2 competition points for the winner and one of the runner up.

I think if you had that, it would make it really interesting.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I was going to suggest automatic finals berth. Bring on the wildcard!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, may as well give premiership points for preseason trials too.