2020 NRL Nines: Teams and Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 NRL Nines: Teams and Game Day

Post by gerg »

Only a fool would bet on this, so I'll probably load up. Some sides are clearly more stacked than others but which ones are taking it seriously. The Bulldogs are great odds. They're clearly not as good as other sides but are possibly a side that will have a red hot go at this. They're in a tough pool though with Parra also likely to go all out.

Given I watch nearly every regular season game I'll probably watch this with a few ciders, with my eyeballs and liver regretting the decision.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Titans the best odds IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: February 12, 2020, 5:46 pm Titans the best odds IMO.
They havent named one first grade quality player though
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

simo wrote: February 12, 2020, 6:19 pm
julian87 wrote: February 12, 2020, 5:46 pm Titans the best odds IMO.
They havent named one first grade quality player though
Plenty of first grade quality. They just play reserve grade standard at the Titans.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

*That's the joke*
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What’s with the Valentines Day thing? They done some market research that says divorced fans spend more on NRL?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:35 pm *That's the joke*
Yeah, I was running with it. I didn't do a very good job though. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

It’s on Friday and Saturday? I thought it’d be Saturday/ Sunday
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Sid wrote:It’s on Friday and Saturday? I thought it’d be Saturday/ Sunday
That would make more sense. But y’know... NRL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: February 13, 2020, 11:12 am It’s on Friday and Saturday? I thought it’d be Saturday/ Sunday
It would make more sense to hold it Sat/Sun.

But there's not much of that at HQ.

On a personal level I don't care too much about the 9s. The governing body however needs this to be a massive success. They've taken it across the other side of the country. A predominately AFL state. They're hedging their bets, they need bums on seats big time.
The crowd figures across this event will decide if WA gets a NRL franchise heading into the future. That's how important this tournament is for the NRL and WA rugby league.

I'll watch our boys, if they win that's great, if they loss..that's OK as well.

The prize $$$ is a huge incentive. Some clubs have selected their best..others haven't.

I want our boys back in CBR and healthy after this trip..that's all that matters.
Fans from the East Coast will have to take two days off work to head to Perth..today/tommorrow.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's for tv on the east coast, seeing it's in a dead period where it's not really competing against anything (worth watching)

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: February 13, 2020, 11:53 am It's for tv on the east coast, seeing it's in a dead period where it's not really competing against anything (worth watching)

I understand that.

Fans will watch it on tv. It's our first fix of footy for the year. People are excited for sure.

I bet a lot of people from NSW and that other state? have made a decision not to go purely because of the Fri start..
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd say more cause of the quality of the sides being dished up tbh

If people were going to go they'd be in a position to take Friday and maybe Monday off

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Is there anyone on here going to Perth ?

Does Fergus have long range duel tanks on that chopper ?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: February 13, 2020, 12:17 pm Is there anyone on here going to Perth ?

I heard he had to top off in Alice.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:00 am
zim wrote: February 12, 2020, 9:35 pm *That's the joke*
Yeah, I was running with it. I didn't do a very good job though. :(
My bad :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay 53 is going...

I don't think it is worth going to Perth, to see less than 40 minutes of your team play in a substandard stadium. In addition, the tournament is missing most of the top players from every team. Finally, I have a reasonable suspicion that the Raiders will not be aiming to make the finals, as they want to minimise the game time for their players in the tournament. They've made it absolutely clear that the top first graders in the squad pretty much won't be playing.

It costs $1000 at least to get to Perth from Canberra. If I were booking now, to leave tonight and return Sunday, it'd cost me $1600 at least. That's a lot just in airfares to get there... then there's accommodation, meals... for 40 minutes of your team. I've been to Perth a number of times... it is not like it is that attractive as a destination, to boot.

I should add that I checked this morning how ticket sales are going. You can no longer get two day passes. The only seats available are on the try line or behind the posts. So, I will say it is good that locals at least seem to have got behind it... I guess we will see tomorrow at Saturday how that translates into actual crowds.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

-PJ- wrote:Is there anyone on here going to Perth ?

I’m going both days, I live in WA now and I wouldn’t have flown across the country to attend.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:Bay 53 is going...

I don't think it is worth going to Perth, to see less than 40 minutes of your team play in a substandard stadium. In addition, the tournament is missing most of the top players from every team. Finally, I have a reasonable suspicion that the Raiders will not be aiming to make the finals, as they want to minimise the game time for their players in the tournament.

It pretty much costs $1000 at least to get there from Canberra. If I were booking now, to leave tonight and return Sunday, it'd cost me $1600 at least. That's a lot just in airfares to get there... then there's accommodation, meals... for 40 minutes of your team. I've been to Perth a number of times... it is not like it is that attractive as a destination, to boot.

I should add that I checked this morning how ticket sales are going. You can no longer get two day passes. The only seats available are on the try line or behind the posts. So, I will say it is good that locals at least seem to have got behind it... I guess we will see tomorrow at Saturday how that translates into actual crowds.

They’ll get a good crowd, the Stadiums walking distance from the CBD. Which is why I think you’ve gone with a short Friday afternoon full Saturday then the previous Saterday/Sunday platform.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd honestly be surprised if more than 10% of the total attendance is from outside WA

And that's probably ambitious

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-TW- wrote: February 13, 2020, 3:24 pm I'd honestly be surprised if more than 10% of the total attendance is from outside WA

And lets not beat around the bush, that is the point of taking it to Perth.

its not to create a destination that pre existing supporters want to travel to, its to take a second teir comp to an area that they are utilising to attempt to bring new fans on board.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: February 13, 2020, 5:02 pm
-TW- wrote: February 13, 2020, 3:24 pm I'd honestly be surprised if more than 10% of the total attendance is from outside WA

its not to create a destination that pre existing supporters want to travel to, its to take a second teir comp to an area that they are utilising to attempt to bring new fans on board.
Yet the new Chairman reputably has the view that he’s not interested in having a team in Perth. Yet you have Cash Converters lining up to back a team there... Brisbane then Perth should be the next two locations. And when I say Brisbane, I don’t mean Redcliffe or Ipswich or somewhere on the road to Logan. I mean Brisbane.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:

Yet the new Chairman reputably has the view that he’s not interested in having a team in Perth. Yet you have Cash Converters lining up to back a team there... Brisbane then Perth should be the next two locations. And when I say Brisbane, I don’t mean Redcliffe or Ipswich or somewhere on the road to Logan. I mean Brisbane.
I thought Vandlys publicly announced that expansion to Perth was not on the table?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Perth Nines a precursor to Perth team? No chance, says V'landys: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/perth- ... 540c0.html

Seems he said it directly...
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: February 13, 2020, 5:25 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I thought Vandlys publicly announced that expansion to Perth was not on the table?

Does anyone in Australia watch the EPL? NFL??

Australia doesn’t have a team - so why do they keep coming out here playing exhibition matches?

Potentially it’s to grow the footprint of their games, increase expose of their partners and sponsors, and increase their tv viewing figures by creating new fans.

Same same.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Canberra Raiders school visit in Perth: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/02 ... -in-perth/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Given nobody in Sydney would give a hoot about I reckon playing it in Perth is a good idea. There's enough well known players to publicise it and most of the public over there wouldn't know the difference between a reserve grader and an regular NRL starter. It will all look the same to them on the field.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

2020 NRL Nines: Teams and Game Day

Post by Postman Pat »

Northern Raider wrote:Given nobody in Sydney would give a hoot about I reckon playing it in Perth is a good idea. There's enough well known players to publicise it and most of the public over there wouldn't know the difference between a reserve grader and an regular NRL starter. It will all look the same to them on the field.
You’d be very surprised how many Eastern staters are over here, and New Zealanders as well, we all know the differences in the squads. The Nines is a perfect comp to place here for a rugby league starved community.

These types of fans won’t be the target market for a new team, but WA loves a sporting event. I think they’d get behind a team tbh.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

9-15pm kickoff is way past my bedtime..

But I'll make an exception for 18mins of green.

Damn you WA and your stooooopid time zones.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He is the Darwin-born fullback who has overcome one shoulder and two knee reconstructions to push his claims for an NRL debut at the NRL Nines

After fending off a host of potentially career-ending injuries, Daine Spencer starred with the Woden Valley Rams in the Canberra competition in 2018 and then excelled for the Raiders in the Jersey Flegg Cup last season. Spencer, along with Dan Keir, son of former Raider Steve, and Penrith born Duwanye Mariner, formerly with the Roosters, will be hoping to impress at the Nines and earn a contract for 2020.

The host of players who can save their careers at Perth NRL Nines tournament. Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 309359f4ce
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given Matt Timoko, Daine Spencer and Dan Keir are in the Raiders' 2020 NRL team gallery: https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/

... I am guessing they'll have contracts or development contracts for 2020.

Mariner probably will get a Mounties contract, I suspect.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Tommy R there too. Good stuff.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

zim wrote:Tommy R there too. Good stuff.
Tom is a big unit and good for him but he isn’t in the same paddock as Medlyn although he rates well above O’Donnell. Timoko will eat the 9’s format along with Spencer and Smith Shields

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:He is the Darwin-born fullback who has overcome one shoulder and two knee reconstructions to push his claims for an NRL debut at the NRL Nines

After fending off a host of potentially career-ending injuries, Daine Spencer starred with the Woden Valley Rams in the Canberra competition in 2018 and then excelled for the Raiders in the Jersey Flegg Cup last season. Spencer, along with Dan Keir, son of former Raider Steve, and Penrith born Duwanye Mariner, formerly with the Roosters, will be hoping to impress at the Nines and earn a contract for 2020.

The host of players who can save their careers at Perth NRL Nines tournament. Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 309359f4ce
Wonder if he played any rugby up here, I’m guessing he left at a young age
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm Bate Man wrote: February 13, 2020, 8:06 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Given nobody in Sydney would give a hoot about I reckon playing it in Perth is a good idea. There's enough well known players to publicise it and most of the public over there wouldn't know the difference between a reserve grader and an regular NRL starter. It will all look the same to them on the field.
You’d be very surprised how many Eastern staters are over here, and New Zealanders as well, we all know the differences in the squads. The Nines is a perfect comp to place here for a rugby league starved community.

These types of fans won’t be the target market for a new team, but WA loves a sporting event. I think they’d get behind a team tbh.
I hope so. Even a reasonable level of interest would be a win for the code.