Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2020 NRL Nines: Teams and Game Day

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: February 11, 2020, 9:01 am 2nd string bare minimum as expected

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
The only team Ive seen so far that I would consider 'taking it seriously' is the Panthers.
There is a loooooot of youth going to Perth.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

*chefs kiss*

perfect... Sia and Smelly hopefully just there for cheeky 5-10 minutes jog
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's 15 seconds...

I really don't understand why the NRL is staging the event, under these circumstances. It isn't being supported by the clubs. The NRL isn't sufficiently strong to require proper representation. Then there's the NRL... staging the event at a second grade ground in Perth, with half the competition there to play less than 40 minutes of football, and a couple the equivalent of a full game. And they expect us to fly to Perth for that?!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Eels and Broncos also have strong squads.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Soliola and Lui are good editions to the squad.

These two by all reports are very professional off the field and do the little extras to squeeze the most out of their abilities.

These two and Whitehead are exactly the kind of mentors for our young Raiders players to learn from and get to play with.

There will be plenty of natural ability on show across all the teams at the Nines, the young players who go on to become NRL level players will rely as much on their mental development as their physical development.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: McFadden to coach Raiders at NRL Nines: Having previously coached the Warriors in previous editions of the NRL Nines tournament, Andrew McFadden will take the reigns this weekend for the Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/02 ... nrl-nines/

VIDEO: McFadden: It's good exposure for our young guys: Seven players who were a part of the Raiders Jersey Flegg Grand Final squad last year have been named for the NRL Nines. Coach Andrew McFadden is excited to see them in action this weekend: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/02 ... oung-guys/
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

BJ wrote:I think Soliola and Lui are good editions to the squad.

These two by all reports are very professional off the field and do the little extras to squeeze the most out of their abilities.

These two and Whitehead are exactly the kind of mentors for our young Raiders players to learn from and get to play with.

There will be plenty of natural ability on show across all the teams at the Nines, the young players who go on to become NRL level players will rely as much on their mental development as their physical development.
Well said.
I’m glad we’re taking the team that we are for 2 reasons.
1. Obviously no threat to injury to any of our real stars.
2. I’m actually really keen to see our young guys get an opportunity. HSS and Timoko in particular.

The nines are a joke at this time of the year. But atleast we’ll see how our outside back depth can go should Scott be stood down/ injuries hit us hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Eels, Sharks or Panthers to win based on their squads IMO.

Remember Shaun Johnson thrives in these tournaments.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All the squads now named: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33890&p=1715967#p1715967

You should see the Roosters squad... clearly, clashes with the WCC... but why does it clash?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders assistant coach Andrew McFadden names four Green Machine young guns as players to watch in NRL Nines in Perth

Canberra Raiders assistant coach Andrew McFadden has listed Duwanye Mariner, Semi Valemei, Matt Timoko and Harley Smith-Shields as four young guns who could be part of the next batch of Raiders.

"Duwanye Mariner, he's a good young kid, a middle forward that did a good job in the grand final under-20s game last year. Then there's the exciting outside backs like Semi Valemei, Matt Timoko and Harley Smith-Shields."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Disappointing we're not sending a stronger squad.

If we mannaged to jag it this year, and then the following 299 years, we'd have our new Civic stadium locked in
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I like the selection of Sutton and Havili. Surprised that they risked Oldfield, but he will be a good 9s player.

Decent squad under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see how seriously they treat the games.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 11, 2020, 6:14 pm I like the selection of Sutton and Havili. Surprised that they risked Oldfield, but he will be a good 9s player.

Decent squad under the circumstances. Will be interesting to see how seriously they treat the games.
Same. Looks like they are putting some miles into a few of the players who are unlikely to feature in every game this season + the rookies.

Whitehead and Sia at least get a rest over origin/byes and might even get a rest later on if the season goes swimmingly, or Ricky gives them a light run in the trials.

To me that hints they don't see Oldfield required all year= however long he gets (from a few weeks to half a season), he won't be sacked.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: February 11, 2020, 6:56 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: February 11, 2020, 6:14 pm I like the selection of Sutton and Havili. Surprised that they risked Oldfield, but he will be a good 9s player.

Same. Looks like they are putting some miles into a few of the players who are unlikely to feature in every game this season + the rookies.

Whitehead and Sia at least get a rest over origin/byes and might even get a rest later on if the season goes swimmingly, or Ricky gives them a light run in the trials.

To me that hints they don't see Oldfield required all year= however long he gets (from a few weeks to half a season), he won't be sacked.
I wouldn't read too much into that. They can't base selections of their Nines squad on what may or may not happen with Scott. Oldy is one of our fringe players and they will send as many of those as possible. Nines format might suit him too as he's one of the fastest in the club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: February 11, 2020, 7:20 pm
BadnMean wrote: February 11, 2020, 6:56 pm

I wouldn't read too much into that. They can't base selections of their Nines squad on what may or may not happen with Scott. Oldy is one of our fringe players and they will send as many of those as possible. Nines format might suit him too as he's one of the fastest in the club.
Perhaps. I should clarify by Oldfield not required all year I don't mean as in "never plays", just not going to be for an entire gruelling season of 26+ games.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Melbourne's side is less assed than ours

Literally had Munster and Justin Olam as their top range players

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And the roosters is even less, Sam Verrills the only known player

This is a waste of time

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It always had been a waste of time
it always will be.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:And the roosters is even less, Sam Verrills the only known player

This is a waste of time

chooks have WCC tour

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m going against the grain and saying I like this set up. Only 2 games seems stupid but current tournaments are showing shorter is better.

I really like them pulling back on how many first graders want to go. Good on the clubs rolling the dice to try to win it will be good to watch imo. The pressure will be on those teams to win and the thinner squads (us, Roosters and Eagles given current circumstances and who they’ve lost) have decided to not risk it and I reckon that’s fine.

The time difference at Perth and switching to Friday/Saturday not makes sense to me. It’s in prime time and easier to watch on tv than the Auckland version.

I don’t care about the result but given the ridiculous cricket fixtures this year I’ll be tuning in keenly.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just looking through all the team lists for the first time I can't actually believe how many top players have been named. Every year there are injuries in meaningless games yet some teams are running the gauntlet. Sure, they may not get game time but why risk it? Why would the sharks play or even name Graham after a horrendous run with injuries recently? Taumololo? Why?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: February 11, 2020, 10:19 pm Just looking through all the team lists for the first time I can't actually believe how many top players have been named. Every year there are injuries in meaningless games yet some teams are running the gauntlet. Sure, they may not get game time but why risk it? Why would the sharks play or even name Graham after a horrendous run with injuries recently? Taumololo? Why?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Not sure what the minimum requirements are for this tournament, but the NRL required a certain number of the top squad for the Auckland Nines... and I expect they’ve done that again. I suspect the Roosters have been exempted.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:And the roosters is even less, Sam Verrills the only known player

This is a waste of time

And Nick Davis...
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders assistant Andrew McFadden who takes the reins for the #NRL9s. He reveals the young guns to watch in Perth.. and speaks on the re-signing of Jack Wighton. Nine News Canberra reports... http://ow.ly/g0wM50yjRPg

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Should have named Scott. He hasn’t been suspended yet so would have been good to give him a run before the season begins.

$1m prize money, surprised we aren’t taking it more seriously. Simonnson would have went well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nine to watch at the Nines

HARLEY SMITH-SHIELDS (RAIDERS)

Canberra folk reckon that Smith-Shields is the one to watch this season, especially given the uncertainty surrounding Curtis Scott.

With Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana heading on at the end of last year, Smith-Shields has a chance to impress Ricky Stuart this weekend and stake a claim for a backline spot.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/perth- ... 7ef49d0c7e

Time to shine: 16 players to watch at NRL Nines

Canberra Raiders
NRL.com says: Harley Smith-Shields

Canberra have prioritised youth in their squad, naming seven players who featured in the club's 2019 Jersey Flegg grand final.

Centre Harley Smith-Shields won the NSWRL Flegg Player of the Year award and could use the Nines as boost for a potential round one berth.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/12/tim ... rth-nines/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: February 11, 2020, 7:31 pm Melbourne's side is less assed than ours

Literally had Munster and Justin Olam as their top range players

I'd argue, given their squad makeup, that Cameron Munster is their most important player. I'm astonished he's going and imagine he'll play one minute and come off the field. He's their only first grade standard half.

Manly is the team that has phoned it in the most with their squad. Taupau is their only genuinely seasoned first grader in the 18. Garrick has had one season and Waddell/Elliott are fringe players.

As I said last night I like that clubs have the choice here.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Should be fun to watch a couple of games I'm not at all emotionally invested in!

I don't care one iota that most clubs don't treat this too seriously. It's not a serious tournament, but it's still a good promotion for the code. Plenty of high quality players and up and comers to watch.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'll watch the Raiders games. Who knows if they play more than 2. Hard to work out what you need to make top 2 in your pool. Might watch a couple of the other games if I'm in front of the TV at the time. Not that interested in the women's matches.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Market to win the tournament for those compelled to punt.

Parramatta Eels 5.00
Brisbane Broncos 6.00
Cronulla Sharks 6.00
Penrith Panthers 7.50
Nth Queensland Cowboys 9.00
South Sydney Rabbitohs 10.00
St George Illawarra Dragons 17.00
Wests Tigers 17.00
Gold Coast Titans 19.00
Newcastle Knights 21.00
New Zealand Warriors 23.00
Canberra Raiders 26.00
Manly Sea Eagles 26.00
Melbourne Storm 26.00
Canterbury Bulldogs 34.00
Sydney Roosters 51.00
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surprisingly short odds for the Raiders. I will be very surprised if they play more than the two games.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: February 12, 2020, 4:00 pm Surprisingly short odds for the Raiders. I will be very surprised if they play more than the two games.
I think they're just bundled in with the other teams sending nearly all reserve grade players. Who knows which teams are going to actually be trying to win through. Titans might be one of them. They have talent in their squad and imagine most trying to make a good impression for the new coach. 19.00 worth a spec bet.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Penriths a good bet at 7.50, pretty close to a first string squad

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: February 12, 2020, 4:12 pm Penriths a good bet at 7.50, pretty close to a first string squad

Yeah, surprisigly gone with their full NRL spine. Question is how much time they spend on the field in both their matches and how hard they're trying.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: February 12, 2020, 4:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 12, 2020, 4:00 pm Surprisingly short odds for the Raiders. I will be very surprised if they play more than the two games.
I think they're just bundled in with the other teams sending nearly all reserve grade players. Who knows which teams are going to actually be trying to win through. Titans might be one of them. They have talent in their squad and imagine most trying to make a good impression for the new coach. 19.00 worth a spec bet.
Yeah, I reckon the Titans are a team that could really be going for it. They have nothing to lose and will want to use this tournament to get some cohesion across the first string squad.