Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Danaman137
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 943
Joined: February 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske
Location: Canberra

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Danaman137 »

Good. Should put a bookend on this whole situation for him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7985
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Sid »

Breaking News: Raiders to be investigated by integrity unit over possible illegal 3rd party payment from the NSW Police

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5148
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BJ »

Sid wrote:Breaking News: Raiders to be investigated by integrity unit over possible illegal 3rd party payment from the NSW Police

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Image
User avatar
Raider Azz
Jason Croker
Posts: 4185
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Raider Azz »

Finchy... all I have to say is yikes.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5148
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BJ »

Could this case have gone any worse for police?

Lesson for people, the quicker you realise that you’ve made a mistake and stop what you’re doing the better.

Going further and further into the mire, trying to blame someone else and hoping the affected party will withdraw, is not the answer.

Police Commissioner really hasn’t covered himself in glory either. Certainly doesn’t look like NSW police have learnt any lessons from this debacle for all involved parties.
User avatar
BadnMean
Jason Croker
Posts: 4283
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: September 25, 2020, 5:58 pm Could this case have gone any worse for police?

Lesson for people, the quicker you realise that you’ve made a mistake and stop what you’re doing the better.

Going further and further into the mire, trying to blame someone else and hoping the affected party will withdraw, is not the answer.

Police Commissioner really hasn’t covered himself in glory either. Certainly doesn’t look like NSW police have learnt any lessons from this debacle for all involved parties.
Doesn't exactly fill the civilian population with confidence when you have officers torturing drunks (police job is NEVER to punish, however much they want to- just to investigate and assist) and face smashing aboriginal kids during BLM protests and the Commissioner backs them. It's the old closing ranks starting from the top again. It took a Royal Commission and decades to sort that out last time.

All he has to say, if he doesn't want to condemn young officers is, "We are always looking to learn and improve our policing. There will be appropriate oversight given to this case to ascertain if procedures were appropriately followed or how they can be approved". Non-judgemental and people would have swallowed it, every organisation makes errors but you only worry about those blind to recognising them.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134468
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by greeneyed »

Uncensored Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott reveals darkest hours



There were days Curtis Scott didn't care if he woke up, with the Canberra Raider opening up on the nightmare his life became this year.

"I had rugby league personalities coming out on the radio, coming out on the news, saying this bloke shouldn't even be playing rugby league. It was tough. I'm not going to sit here and say it wasn't tough and I was OK. Some days I didn't want to get up or didn't want to go to training or didn't even care if I woke up or not."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Image
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13378
Joined: February 25, 2008, 3:02 pm
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Begbie »

Finchy does well as a podcast interviewer. Very well indeed.
User avatar
Roy Rover
David Grant
Posts: 719
Joined: July 27, 2005, 1:56 pm
Contact:

Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Roy Rover »

Wasn’t a bad listen but didn’t really provide a whole lot of insight as to why he actually left the Storm.

Seemed like he still pined to be there and kind of reminded me of when a pretty disgruntled FPN joined us from the Roosters.

As far a Scum Bag (when did the filter get switched off?) goes he’s not too bad but the same old self-deprecating jokes about his physique and partying get pretty predictable and wear thin after a while.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134468
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by greeneyed »

Are we getting a Raiders Review this week?
Image
User avatar
Roy Rover
David Grant
Posts: 719
Joined: July 27, 2005, 1:56 pm
Contact:

Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Roy Rover »

Maybe next week. Depends on where the Pork’s head is at.

Also what about the Finch filter?
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134468
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by greeneyed »

Brett Finch

Looks like it’s gone!
Image
User avatar
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 312
Joined: June 13, 2007, 11:38 am
Favourite Player: Big Papa
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Curtis seems like a good young kid who made a mistake being in the wrong place-wrong time and ended up learning some serious life lessons from it. The last 2 minutes really makes you hope he kills it next year! good listen if you skip the bits where finch talking about himself haha
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134468
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott commences legal action against police over botched case

Curtis Scott will take civil action against police for their botched handling of his Australia Day arrest in action that could result in a six-figure damages payout.

“The answer is yes, I’m instructed to go ahead with the claim,” Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone said. “I’d say we’d be in the process of issuing a statement of claim hopefully before Christmas. It should never have got to court, but I couldn't talk them out of it.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/curtis ... 56iqo.html

Raiders player Curtis Scott to sue police over Australia Day arrest, lawyer says: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/curtis-sco ... ea514e3ce5

Raiders star Curtis Scott to sue NSW police for six-figure sum over Australia Day arrest: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 682e14cbf5

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott takes legal action against police: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Image
RedRaider
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8149
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by RedRaider »

Yet another off field distraction for Scott in the pre-season. I understand the reasons, but from a football performance point of view, I do not see this as a positive for the Raiders. He was distracted at the Storm. He has been distracted at the Raiders. Hopefully it does not drag on.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29388
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Botman »

Distractions are not all made equal
The distraction he had coming into the season was one in which he was assaulted by and then slaped with trumped up charges by the police, where by should they stick, his career maybe over. As per his own words, the guy was going to sleep every night wondering if his career was over.

This distraction is one of wondering just how much the police will be forced to give him for their actions. It will be a 6 figure settlement in his favour, and i cant imagine he's having any level of consternation about this outcome.

One was a matter of his life and career. This is a matter of how much he's awarded for their treatment.
FWIW, from a PR point of view, i dont think the NSW police would be very interesting in having this linger, they wont want a high profile/highly publisised case of police misstreatment like this. I dont think it will linger, i would be good money this is settled for a non disclosed amount fairly quickly.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
RedRaider
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8149
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by RedRaider »

If only he had got into that Cab and went to his Hotel room like he told his team mates he was going to.....
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29388
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Botman »

If only the police didnt assault him and stubbornly try and make those absurd charges stick...
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 34270
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson
Location: Canberra

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 29, 2020, 7:32 pm If only the police didnt assault him and stubbornly try and make those absurd charges stick...
They must be trying to meet a budget spendings figure, coz I truly can't believe that they pushed forward having seen the footage.
RedRaider
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8149
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by RedRaider »

“It pisses me off, quote me on that,” Stuart said.“But I don’t want to comment on anything outside that until I hear the full story. I have to know the facts first and I haven’t heard Curtis’s side of the story.”

Sticky has proved to be correct in his initial reaction. I reckon he will have had discussion/s with Scott about the decisions taken to put himself into an unwelcome situation. If the learning is to go home when you've had a skin full and told your mates that's what you are going to do, then well and good. If the learning is other than that, then the unstable ride may well continue.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29388
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Botman »

Literally from the **** quote

" I have to know the facts first and I haven’t heard Curtis’s side of the story."

He knows it now. His side has been validated in a court of law to the point where he is suing for damages. Stuart has been quite clear of his support for Scott since the nature of this arrest was clear.

Scott HAS to address some issues with his committment off the park. No questions about that, it's been a theme throughout his career. And if he cant address it, he will not have a career much longer. But putting yourself in a positon to be the victim of, to be frank, assault by the police force is not a thing. What ever he does or does not do, he is not responsible for the police abusing their position of power.
Last edited by Botman on November 29, 2020, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 134468
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by greeneyed »

It’s a bit unclear who the damages will be sought from... presumably the NSW Police Department, but possibly individual police I suppose. The individuals won’t have cash to fight or pay up... so presumably it’s not the individuals. Maybe someone with legal qualifications could say. But if it is the NSW Police Department, they probably won’t give up public funds easily... They may well fight the civil litigation. The reaction of the NSW Police Commissioner was that they did the right thing. Now it’s hard to see how any reasonable person could claim that... but that’s what their leader said...
Image
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29388
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Botman »

Red's arguement here reminds a lot of the trash **** Bull around what women must do to avoid sexual assault
"dont put yourself in positon to be a victim"

Miss me with that victim blaming Bull.
Victims arent to blame for the perpetrators actions. Pure and simple. Scott has to knuckle down and grow up, that's not in question. Most 22 yer olds have to do that also, i certain did. But the fault of this situation is entirely down to police misconduct and nothing else. And they'll pay him a hefty price for it.

I know he played like **** and we all want an out on his contract, but the simply reality here is Curtis Scott committed what amounts to misdemeanours at best, and is the victim, and not the perpetrator a violent crime.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
RedRaider
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8149
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by RedRaider »

Botman wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:16 pm Scott HAS to address some issues with his committment off the park. No questions about that,
Agreed
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29388
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Botman »

Me: You have made a point, i guess? If you squint and ignore the other glaring faults. But are lacking in almost every other way imaginable

Red:
RedRaider wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:38 pm
Botman wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:16 pm You have made a point
Agreed
This **** guy. Honestly
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
User avatar
Raiders_Pat
Dean Lance
Posts: 869
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:06 pm
Botman wrote: November 29, 2020, 7:32 pm If only the police didnt assault him and stubbornly try and make those absurd charges stick...
They must be trying to meet a budget spendings figure, coz I truly can't believe that they pushed forward having seen the footage.
People on the police end of things must not have reviewed the footage properly... that's all I can think of. The officers who assaulted Scott would not have closely followed the case either as it would have been just one of many assaults they committed in the year. They probably weren't even aware that somebody was challenging their arrest and if they were aware, they probably thought it was going to disappear like every other case. That's how this went all the way to court. Also, police can be incredibly stubborn when they have made mistakes, from my experience. They will let it drag through the courts because very rarely will it come back to bite them even if they have broken the law to arrest you or charge you. The worst that can happen to them is they will receive paid leave. The issue is the lack of accountability and that's how poor cultures like this emerge. The introduction of body cams was supposed to be an accountability measure but it's plain to see that it was symbolic more than anything else.

edit: I just want to add that I'm not anti-police. I just think NSW police need to clean up their act. The culture is abysmal.
User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8789
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

RedRaider wrote: November 29, 2020, 7:05 pm Yet another off field distraction for Scott in the pre-season. I understand the reasons, but from a football performance point of view, I do not see this as a positive for the Raiders. He was distracted at the Storm. He has been distracted at the Raiders. Hopefully it does not drag on.
He was distracted on the field by decoy runners too.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1030
Joined: July 25, 2007, 5:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Smurfette »

greeneyed wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:18 pm It’s a bit unclear who the damages will be sought from... presumably the NSW Police Department, but possibly individual police I suppose. The individuals won’t have cash to fight or pay up... so presumably it’s not the individuals. Maybe someone with legal qualifications could say. But if it is the NSW Police Department, they probably won’t give up public funds easily... They may well fight the civil litigation. The reaction of the NSW Police Commissioner was that they did the right thing. Now it’s hard to see how any reasonable person could claim that... but that’s what their leader said...
I saw this reporting around the time Scott’s case was thrown out. The NSW Police Force is quite accustomed to paying out for their officers’ misbehaviour it seems.

“Nearly $90 million of taxpayer money has been paid out by NSW Police in hundreds of civil claims alleging police brutality, unlawful searches and illegal arrests over the last four financial years, NewsLocal reveals.

...

A total of $89.62 million has been settled across 968 cases between the 2016/17 and the 2019/20 financial years, averaging a $92,583 payout to each victim. The shocking number of cases — and the massive bill to the public — include matters of unlawful arrests, illegal arrests, false imprisonment, trespass, assault, harassment and malicious prosecution.”

https://rlc.org.au/rlc-media-89m-civil- ... e-revealed

The report also mentions that about 300 claims are made a year, meaning more than 75 per cent across that time resulted in a settlement.
User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 34270
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson
Location: Canberra

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 30, 2020, 2:51 pm
Matt wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:06 pm
Botman wrote: November 29, 2020, 7:32 pm If only the police didnt assault him and stubbornly try and make those absurd charges stick...
They must be trying to meet a budget spendings figure, coz I truly can't believe that they pushed forward having seen the footage.
People on the police end of things must not have reviewed the footage properly... that's all I can think of. The officers who assaulted Scott would not have closely followed the case either as it would have been just one of many assaults they committed in the year. They probably weren't even aware that somebody was challenging their arrest and if they were aware, they probably thought it was going to disappear like every other case. That's how this went all the way to court. Also, police can be incredibly stubborn when they have made mistakes, from my experience. They will let it drag through the courts because very rarely will it come back to bite them even if they have broken the law to arrest you or charge you. The worst that can happen to them is they will receive paid leave. The issue is the lack of accountability and that's how poor cultures like this emerge. The introduction of body cams was supposed to be an accountability measure but it's plain to see that it was symbolic more than anything else.

edit: I just want to add that I'm not anti-police. I just think NSW police need to clean up their act. The culture is abysmal.
Fair call.
Very logical
Bay53
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6251
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Bay53 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 30, 2020, 2:51 pm The officers who assaulted Scott would not have closely followed the case either as it would have been just one of many assaults they committed in the year.
Hopefully this is not the case!!
User avatar
simo
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9292
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by simo »

Smurfette wrote: November 30, 2020, 8:05 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 29, 2020, 8:18 pm It’s a bit unclear who the damages will be sought from... presumably the NSW Police Department, but possibly individual police I suppose. The individuals won’t have cash to fight or pay up... so presumably it’s not the individuals. Maybe someone with legal qualifications could say. But if it is the NSW Police Department, they probably won’t give up public funds easily... They may well fight the civil litigation. The reaction of the NSW Police Commissioner was that they did the right thing. Now it’s hard to see how any reasonable person could claim that... but that’s what their leader said...
I saw this reporting around the time Scott’s case was thrown out. The NSW Police Force is quite accustomed to paying out for their officers’ misbehaviour it seems.

“Nearly $90 million of taxpayer money has been paid out by NSW Police in hundreds of civil claims alleging police brutality, unlawful searches and illegal arrests over the last four financial years, NewsLocal reveals.

...

A total of $89.62 million has been settled across 968 cases between the 2016/17 and the 2019/20 financial years, averaging a $92,583 payout to each victim. The shocking number of cases — and the massive bill to the public — include matters of unlawful arrests, illegal arrests, false imprisonment, trespass, assault, harassment and malicious prosecution.”

https://rlc.org.au/rlc-media-89m-civil- ... e-revealed

The report also mentions that about 300 claims are made a year, meaning more than 75 per cent across that time resulted in a settlement.
Those are some very unattractive figures
Dont delete this GE
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6975
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Phil Graham
Location: Marsden Park

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 30, 2020, 2:51 pmPeople on the police end of things must not have reviewed the footage properly... that's all I can think of. The officers who assaulted Scott would not have closely followed the case either as it would have been just one of many assaults they committed in the year. They probably weren't even aware that somebody was challenging their arrest and if they were aware, they probably thought it was going to disappear like every other case. That's how this went all the way to court. Also, police can be incredibly stubborn when they have made mistakes, from my experience. They will let it drag through the courts because very rarely will it come back to bite them even if they have broken the law to arrest you or charge you. The worst that can happen to them is they will receive paid leave. The issue is the lack of accountability and that's how poor cultures like this emerge. The introduction of body cams was supposed to be an accountability measure but it's plain to see that it was symbolic more than anything else.

edit: I just want to add that I'm not anti-police. I just think NSW police need to clean up their act. The culture is abysmal.
Back in my Workers Comp days*, we would have to deal with NSW Police claims a fair bit. The lengths they would go to in order to have claims denied was abysmal. They would bring 3 - 4 people to a meeting, and have them literally stand over you. One would sit down, and the others would just stand in uniform in the meeting, and try to intimidate the Claims Advisors to deny psych claim an Officer may have tried to make.

I've often wondered if they go to those extremes to get a claim for one of their own denied, what do they do on the job?

*No, I won't look at your knee, if you think the injury is work related, speak to your employer
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Johno
David Furner
Posts: 3761
Joined: December 12, 2013, 9:28 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Johno »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 1, 2020, 11:02 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: November 30, 2020, 2:51 pmPeople on the police end of things must not have reviewed the footage properly... that's all I can think of. The officers who assaulted Scott would not have closely followed the case either as it would have been just one of many assaults they committed in the year. They probably weren't even aware that somebody was challenging their arrest and if they were aware, they probably thought it was going to disappear like every other case. That's how this went all the way to court. Also, police can be incredibly stubborn when they have made mistakes, from my experience. They will let it drag through the courts because very rarely will it come back to bite them even if they have broken the law to arrest you or charge you. The worst that can happen to them is they will receive paid leave. The issue is the lack of accountability and that's how poor cultures like this emerge. The introduction of body cams was supposed to be an accountability measure but it's plain to see that it was symbolic more than anything else.

edit: I just want to add that I'm not anti-police. I just think NSW police need to clean up their act. The culture is abysmal.
Back in my Workers Comp days*, we would have to deal with NSW Police claims a fair bit. The lengths they would go to in order to have claims denied was abysmal. They would bring 3 - 4 people to a meeting, and have them literally stand over you. One would sit down, and the others would just stand in uniform in the meeting, and try to intimidate the Claims Advisors to deny psych claim an Officer may have tried to make.

I've often wondered if they go to those extremes to get a claim for one of their own denied, what do they do on the job?

*No, I won't look at your knee, if you think the injury is work related, speak to your employer
Workers comp days?

Wentworth Avenue,
Surry Hills? HOD ?
Boomercm
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 346
Joined: June 21, 2009, 7:18 pm
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Boomercm »

Bay53 wrote: December 1, 2020, 9:08 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: November 30, 2020, 2:51 pm The officers who assaulted Scott would not have closely followed the case either as it would have been just one of many assaults they committed in the year.
Hopefully this is not the case!!
There is no way it was their first time at that rodeo. Their behavior up, all the way through really but at least until the handcuffing, was super well rehearsed. All acting in sync as a team.
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24126
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Seiffert82 »

"Don't resist mate, don't resist!" they implore the sleeping body as they handcuff his limp wrists, and try to completely disorient him with blinding lights straight into his face. The tazer to keep the completely inebriated and half asleep person under control was just the icing on the cake.

:lol: heroic work there from the NSW police force. Keeping the streets safe.

I just hope Scott learns to stay clear of these situations in the future.
Post Reply