Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by -PJ- »

Vic cops would have shot him dead..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Elcaptcroker »

-PJ- wrote:He is facing charges of resisting arrest after being approached by police in the Moore Park area.

Now..

There must have been a reason the fuzz wanted to arrest him right ? They don't make random arrests on citizens because they're bored. So CScott has resisted police attempts to arrest him..

This is bad.

He's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy..
They must of been bored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 9, 2020, 10:27 pm
raiderskater wrote: September 9, 2020, 10:19 pm
BJ wrote: September 9, 2020, 9:56 pm Yep. This outcome proved a perfect example of the problem with standing down players before a court case.
How so? Scott would still have been paid, still have been allowed into the COVID bubble and still allowed to train with the boys. He'd then be free to be named now. I know that's not ideal, and he'd be lacking match fitness, but it's hardly like being sacked.

I assume you're hinting at de Belin, and I have never had any problem with him being stood down. The optics of that case are appalling. At best he's a dirtbag who cheated on his pregnant wife (since de Belin's team don't seem to be arguing that no sexual relation took place), and at worst he's a gang rapist. The NRL would be crucified for allowing a rapist to play if they did and the court finds him guilty.
I was referring to Scott in the context of the no fault policy. I have no problem with de Belin being stood down for what he has been accused of and charged by the police. I'm not comparing the two.
As we have seen subsequently, de Belin's case for dismissal of the case for lack of evidence has been dismissed recently.
You cant criticise the NRL for many things, and i have and the i still have concerns over the NFSD policy, but so far i think the NRL has nailed every single case in terms of the NFSD, including this one. So kudos is owed to them on that imo
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

NFSD was brought in for serious charges carrying 11+ year gaol terms.

Jack DeBelin facing multiple charges of sexual assault that hasn't gone away over 18 months of legal haggling.

Manase Fainu facing charges including grievous and reckless bodily harm.

Dylan Walker was charged with domestic violence after his partner rang 000 but later dropped her charges.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Gang rape...

Stabbed a bloke...

Acted a drunken yobbo and fell asleep in a park...

(allegedly in some cases)

Seems like they got the serious ones from the dumb ones.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: September 10, 2020, 8:39 am NFSD was brought in for serious charges carrying 11+ year gaol terms.

Jack DeBelin facing multiple charges of sexual assault that hasn't gone away over 18 months of legal haggling.

Dylan Walker was charged with domestic violence after his partner rang 000 but later dropped her charges.

NFST has an AUTOMATIC application of offences exceeding 11+ year gaol term, but has discretionary implementation on shorter offences.

For an extreme example, lets say a player punches a female reporter in the face. The sentence is unlikely to exceed 11 years, but the optics of the case would be so bad for the sport a discretionary application could be applied until the legal case is concluded, at which point contracts could be torn up.

From a legal point of view the Scott case should never had made it this far. Im appalled at the way the police have made this 'arrest' on a drunk bloke under a tree. The correct legal decision has been made and the officers should be reprimanded. But at some point after the timeline in yesterdays footage finished, 3 police officers felt threatened enough that pepper spray and a taser were required... and all yesterdays proceeding explained that whatever happened after the wrongful and ridiculous handcuffing was not admissible in court. It doesn't explain that nothing happened, or what happened to lead to that point.

As another example, there have been a number of NRL players in recent years that have been suspected of assault towards their partners or girldfriends. The legal system says that charges need to be laid for an investigation to occur. The fact that the women decided not to press charges dont change the fact that the players are likely grubby humans and potentially guilty, it means the system doesnt allow for it to be looked into.

Now I dont know what happened on that night, it may have been as simple as the cops completely stuffed up and started electrocuting a drunk man under a tree while he was asleep. But the rhetoric around here is he is completely fautless in the whole scenario, and that hasnt in any way been proven, only that the charges laid on him are inadmissible due to the cops completely stuffing up step 1 of the whole process.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 5:55 pm NWA said it best....
Shut up.

666...WOW! You are crazy, man. Wanna drink Woodstock cans at the park, bro?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I don’t think anyone reasonable poster on GH thinks Scott was faultless.

But the police certainly escalated a bad situation by clearly overreacting to a sleepy and drunk young fella.

Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I was stoked when we first signed Scott and despite his indifferent form, I’m very optimistic he will turn into a good buy.

After reading more what he went through and speaking to some of my Sydney based lawyer pals, this whole experience would have absolutely rocked him. Add all the criticism he faced this year, all the backlash and abuse he copped on social media and the fact his reputation was torn to shreds, I’m surprised he was fit (psychologically) to even play week in week out.

It doesn’t matter how good you think your case is, court is unpredictable and there would have been thoughts in the back of his head about what would happen if he didn’t get a favourable result.

I think he will have a cracking 2021.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

1992 wrote: September 10, 2020, 12:16 pm
Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 5:55 pm NWA said it best....
Shut up.

666...WOW! You are crazy, man. Wanna drink Woodstock cans at the park, bro?
Goon bruv
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Court reporters from today are reporting the footage of the whole thing has been shown, the magistrate was “visibly shaken” and “couldn’t stomach” watching it a second time. His minor charges have been dismissed and it is looking extremely likely he will be handed 100K to cover his expenses, when that decision is made in late September.

I think there is still some chance Scott will act up again, but in this case, he has been extremely poorly treated and vindicated. Hopefully it still serves as a wake up call.
Last edited by TongueFTW on September 10, 2020, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Coastalraider wrote: September 10, 2020, 11:43 am But at some point after the timeline in yesterdays footage finished, 3 police officers felt threatened enough that pepper spray and a taser were required... and all yesterdays proceeding explained that whatever happened after the wrongful and ridiculous handcuffing was not admissible in court. It doesn't explain that nothing happened, or what happened to lead to that point.
Yes, we know there was more, including an officer deliberately standing on Scott's ankle and twisting it (hence the allegation that Scott kicked an officer; would you tell me you wouldn't kick someone standing on your ankle?) and an officer punching Scott multiple times in the back while he was handcuffed.

Should Scott have been so piss drunk he passed out under a tree and reportedly made a nuisance of himself before that? Of course not, and I hope the club has imposed some kind of punishment on him for that - if indeed they don't view this circus as punishment enough. Is it evidence the police have clearly abused their power and escalated a situation to the point of brutality? Absolutely.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

raiderskater wrote: September 10, 2020, 2:07 pm
Coastalraider wrote: September 10, 2020, 11:43 am But at some point after the timeline in yesterdays footage finished, 3 police officers felt threatened enough that pepper spray and a taser were required... and all yesterdays proceeding explained that whatever happened after the wrongful and ridiculous handcuffing was not admissible in court. It doesn't explain that nothing happened, or what happened to lead to that point.
Yes, we know there was more, including an officer deliberately standing on Scott's ankle and twisting it (hence the allegation that Scott kicked an officer; would you tell me you wouldn't kick someone standing on your ankle?) and an officer punching Scott multiple times in the back while he was handcuffed.

Should Scott have been so piss drunk he passed out under a tree and reportedly made a nuisance of himself before that? Of course not, and I hope the club has imposed some kind of punishment on him for that - if indeed they don't view this circus as punishment enough. Is it evidence the police have clearly abused their power and escalated a situation to the point of brutality? Absolutely.
Yep that’s a great balanced response, and after reading the additional news out today once the magistrate had viewed the extra footage I’m happy to agree with you here.

I just felt like I wanted a bit better understanding of the gap period before I formed my opinion.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 10, 2020, 8:39 am NFSD was brought in for serious charges carrying 11+ year gaol terms.

NFST has an AUTOMATIC application of offences exceeding 11+ year gaol term, but has discretionary implementation on shorter offences.

For an extreme example, lets say a player punches a female reporter in the face. The sentence is unlikely to exceed 11 years, but the optics of the case would be so bad for the sport a discretionary application could be applied until the legal case is concluded, at which point contracts could be torn up.

From a legal point of view the Scott case should never had made it this far. Im appalled at the way the police have made this 'arrest' on a drunk bloke under a tree. The correct legal decision has been made and the officers should be reprimanded. But at some point after the timeline in yesterdays footage finished, 3 police officers felt threatened enough that pepper spray and a taser were required... and all yesterdays proceeding explained that whatever happened after the wrongful and ridiculous handcuffing was not admissible in court. It doesn't explain that nothing happened, or what happened to lead to that point.

As another example, there have been a number of NRL players in recent years that have been suspected of assault towards their partners or girldfriends. The legal system says that charges need to be laid for an investigation to occur. The fact that the women decided not to press charges dont change the fact that the players are likely grubby humans and potentially guilty, it means the system doesnt allow for it to be looked into.

Now I dont know what happened on that night, it may have been as simple as the cops completely stuffed up and started electrocuting a drunk man under a tree while he was asleep. But the rhetoric around here is he is completely fautless in the whole scenario, and that hasnt in any way been proven, only that the charges laid on him are inadmissible due to the cops completely stuffing up step 1 of the whole process.
yes discretionary especially where it involves women or children

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Don’t have the stomach’: Disturbing new Scott footage revealed as lawyer demands $100k

Raiders centre Curtis Scott is back in court with his lawyer pushing for over $100,000 in costs after he was cleared of serious police assault charges on Wednesday. Brutal new bodycam footage of the 22-year-old being tasered and pepper sprayed was shown to a “visibly taken back” magistrate on Thursday who requested not to watch it again.

Scott plead guilty to two minor offensive behaviour charges, which were dismissed by the magistrate without punishment.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f9c07d50e9

Opinion: Curtis Scott has every right to sue police. What they did to him was an utter disgrace: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2852387880

Magistrate dismisses charges against Canberra Raiders NRL star Curtis Scott

All remaining charges against Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott have been dismissed after graphic body cam footage of police tasering him was played before a Sydney court.

On Thursday magistrate Jennifer Giles said she did not have the “stomach” to watch the 22-year-old professional footballer being tasered a third time after two separate videos showed Scott being pepper-sprayed and tasered after he was handcuffed.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1306083

Ricky Stuart says Curtis Scott always told truth about police arrest in face of axe

Curtis Scott would have been sacked from the Raiders if found guilty of assaulting police but has been vindicated for telling the truth, Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said.

"When this all started, Curtis was new to our club and I was very upset and disappointed that this incident occurred," Stuart said. "But it was important that Curtis told me the truth; it was the only way we were going to get through it.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... 43dc91a525

AUDIO: https://omny.fm/shows/ben-fordham-full- ... le=artwork
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Honestly how many coaches would of done what ricky has? I wouldnt be surpised if it was only acouple.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The cops do not look good in this.

I am surprised the charges werent dropped a long long time ago...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:15 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 9, 2020, 6:01 pm
Elcaptcroker wrote: September 9, 2020, 5:43 pm Hahahah wheres all those people claiming the police are right yadda yadda and that they dont charge people for no reason and the media know the whole court transcript so they wouldnt ride the back of false claims?

People said that??
I think we all know who said that haha
Haha.

Humour me though... I genuinely have no idea who you're talking about.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm stunned the police went to court on this. The only reason I can see that they refused to settle was that they wanted to avoid meeting Curtis Scott's legal fees. Based on the vision we've seen and the reports of journalists who've seen the additional vision, they'll have to do that anyway. And they look not only stupid, but they've behaved in disgraceful fashion on the night and subsequently in pursuing legal action. Curtis Scott should not have put himself in that position, nor thrown a phone at a car. But the police have no excuses by the looks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 10, 2020, 4:03 pm I'm stunned the police went to court on this. The only reason I can see that they refused to settle was that they wanted to avoid meeting Curtis Scott's legal fees. Based on the vision we've seen and the reports of journalists who've seen the additional vision, they'll have to do that anyway. And they look not only stupid, but they've behaved in disgraceful fashion on the night and subsequently in pursuing legal action. Curtis Scott should not have put himself in that position, nor thrown a phone at a car. But the police have no excuses by the looks.
Would like to know what went on behind the scenes with the prosecutors and their decision to pursue this matter. No idea how they thought this would end favourably for them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BJ »

I remember laughing off ridiculous rumours that some of the cops Involved were AFL fans who passionately hated NRL.

Was I wrong to laugh them off?
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: September 10, 2020, 4:03 pm I'm stunned the police went to court on this. The only reason I can see that they refused to settle was that they wanted to avoid meeting Curtis Scott's legal fees. Based on the vision we've seen and the reports of journalists who've seen the additional vision, they'll have to do that anyway. And they look not only stupid, but they've behaved in disgraceful fashion on the night and subsequently in pursuing legal action. Curtis Scott should not have put himself in that position, nor thrown a phone at a car. But the police have no excuses by the looks.
The second lot of footage released this afternoon is, as you point out, a disgrace.
I wrote yesterday about the officers being reprimanded but i would suggest that they now have to show cause as to why they shouldn't be sacked and/or charged with brutality type offences.

Tasering a person twice twice in these circumstances is police brutality. Pure and simply it is unjustifiable. Good on the club and Ricky. If that doesn't make any player in the NRL want to be coached by him i don't know what does. Demands honesty and has your back despite massive pressure otherwise.

If action isn't taken against the officers involved and the crazy Police prosecutor who decided in their infinite wisdom to pursue this, then something is very very crook in NSW. And people wonder why many in the community have zero respect for Police. It's a tough job, nobody can argue that, but it shouldn't give you a licence to brutalise innocent people who at best may be guilty of minor offences.

Disgraceful. Curtis, i hope you can put this behind you and recapture your best.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘My eyes are **** killing’: Disturbing footage of Scott’s Taser arrest released

Raiders centre Curtis Scott walked out of court on Thursday, not wanting to relive vision of himself being Tasered and pepper-sprayed during his arrest. Scott’s lawyer is pushing for over $100,000 in costs after he was cleared of serious police assault charges on Wednesday.

Read more and video of arrest footage: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f9c07d50e9
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Glad it's over for him and the club. Let's scrub 2020 from the memory banks and give him 2021 to rebuild. Joey reckons he's the best defensive centre when on song, and a potential Blues centre down the track. Reckon he's right.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

That is horrible to watch and an absolute disgrace. I hope the same people in the media who scream for accountability from NRL players, ask for the same accountability from the police. Heads must roll.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

That's terrible. Poor bloke. I admit I doubted him when this first was reported, but I'll hold my hand up. And now I really, really hope this is the turning point for him.

Terrible, terrible look from the police.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

When you look at that vision in its entirety, that is put the first, together with the second, it is absolutely disgraceful what the NSW Police have done. He was asleep, barely capable of being woken, cuffed, dragged to his feet when he probably couldn't stand, to quickly being pepper sprayed and tasered... when being tasered, he is lying on the ground, unable to do anything.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I can only imagine how this would have affected him this year. He probably thought in his mind he was innocent but to have the threat of being sacked (and possibly NRL career over), I can only imagine how its affected him.

I agree, time to wipe 2020 for him now no matter what happens in the next month or two. I know we have all been critical of his performances so far but let's give him the off-season to build up mentally and physically and hopefully he will fire next year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That is **** torture, no wonder the poor bloke has had such a poor season!

You all should be ashamed of yourselves the way you've carried on about him. Lucky me and Botman stayed true
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: September 10, 2020, 5:32 pm That is **** torture, no wonder the poor bloke has had such a poor season!

You all should be ashamed of yourselves the way you've carried on about him. Lucky me and Botman stayed true
I’m starting to wonder why anyone ever questions your opinion??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: September 10, 2020, 5:40 pm
The Nickman wrote: September 10, 2020, 5:32 pm That is **** torture, no wonder the poor bloke has had such a poor season!

I’m starting to wonder why anyone ever questions your opinion??
I know, it's got me completely baffled too, old friend.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If someone can point me to a post where Curtis Scott was unfairly criticised in the thread, I'd be grateful. I can't remember anyone doing that. I'm not saying it didn't happen... but from my cursory glance, I couldn't see any. It is fair enough to say he shouldn't have had that much to drink that it ended up with him sleeping in Moore Park... and I'd still say that. It was highly irresponsible. But what has happened to him has been very unfair, and it is conduct unbecoming of police officers.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Raider47 wrote: September 10, 2020, 5:27 pm That's terrible. Poor bloke. I admit I doubted him when this first was reported, but I'll hold my hand up. And now I really, really hope this is the turning point for him.

Terrible, terrible look from the police.
I echo this.

Back in January I said they should tear up his contract, no question.

That's what happens when you don't have all the info. I was so so wrong.

Watching that video and hearing him in pain.

My heart is bleeding for this bloke.

And to think what it's done to him the last 9 months.

Makes me think of all the others dealt with in this manner who didn't have the 100k plus to see it through.
Last edited by casta66 on September 10, 2020, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ah well, there you go.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think we should all just put this nasty incident behind us, learn as a group, give the guy our unconditional love and go back to lynching our captain. 400k?? Get out of here!!