Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by BJ »

Meeting with the legal team.

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by casta66 »

Yeah! Hahahaha

Personally I would love to see toots have a bit of a go at the fuzz and get arrested. It will show he's still got some fire in the belly.

Joking of course.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:If someone can point me to a post where Curtis Scott was unfairly criticised in the thread, I'd be grateful. I can't remember anyone doing that. I'm not saying it didn't happen... but from my cursory glance, I couldn't see any. It is fair enough to say he shouldn't have had that much to drink that it ended up with him sleeping in Moore Park... and I'd still say that. It was highly irresponsible. But what has happened to him has been very unfair, and it is conduct unbecoming of police officers.
Well there was that one thread, actually quite a few, where some posters were calling for his sacking based partly on his lack of form (which I contested) and dragging this club/jersey through the mud. I also remember many jimmies being rustled when he scored a try and made a 'shooshing' motion. Let's not pretend that the majority of us here haven't unfairly slagged him off.

His form hasn't been as good as I had hoped for - in some games - and hopefully this is a turning point for him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dirty pigs.
This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

More footage is available on channel 9 via twitter
It’s pretty **** appalling, the cops involved should be charged
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott speaks exclusively to Seven News.

@7NewsSydney

A Sydney magistrate has recoiled in horror after witnessing the moment @NRL player Curtis Scott was tasered by police. He can be heard screaming in police body cam vision having already been pepper sprayed in the face. http://7news.link/35rd0rN @LeonieFRyan #7NEWS

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 7006205953

@9NewsSydney

WARNING: Some of this vision is confronting.

More shocking bodycam vision has been released of NRL player Curtis Scott being tasered and pepper sprayed in handcuffs.

A magistrate told the court he didn't "have the stomach to see it again”.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/1303953863846711297
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

gergreg wrote: September 10, 2020, 6:20 pm
greeneyed wrote:If someone can point me to a post where Curtis Scott was unfairly criticised in the thread, I'd be grateful. I can't remember anyone doing that. I'm not saying it didn't happen... but from my cursory glance, I couldn't see any. It is fair enough to say he shouldn't have had that much to drink that it ended up with him sleeping in Moore Park... and I'd still say that. It was highly irresponsible. But what has happened to him has been very unfair, and it is conduct unbecoming of police officers.
Well there was that one thread, actually quite a few, where some posters were calling for his sacking based partly on his lack of form (which I contested) and dragging this club/jersey through the mud. I also remember many jimmies being rustled when he scored a try and made a 'shooshing' motion. Let's not pretend that the majority of us here haven't unfairly slagged him off.

His form hasn't been as good as I had hoped for - in some games - and hopefully this is a turning point for him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I feel sorry for the bloke in terms of being wrongly accused. But in all honesty, my qualms about him have been about his play on the field.

If he is talented and his poor play has all been about this court case then I will gladly eat my words
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: September 10, 2020, 6:20 pm I also remember many jimmies being rustled when he scored a try and made a 'shooshing' motion.
I certainly was of the view that is not the sort of thing I want to see from a Canberra Raiders player. And I'm still of that view.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

How we long for the reliable, safe as houses, consistent, flawless days of Joey Leilua 😂
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Geez. I think I piled on the hate-train earlier in the year, what a shocking display from the police.

Just goes to show the value of body-cams. Without them, he probably wouldn't have had a hope against those charges - it'd have been a case of his word against the police, and one guess as to how that would've gone.

You like to think of Australian police as reasonable and not heavy-handed, but in seeing that... it's clearly not the case.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sterlk wrote:Geez. I think I piled on the hate-train earlier in the year, what a shocking display from the police.

Just goes to show the value of body-cams. Without them, he probably wouldn't have had a hope against those charges - it'd have been a case of his word against the police, and one guess as to how that would've gone.

You like to think of Australian police as reasonable and not heavy-handed, but in seeing that... it's clearly not the case.
Spot on. Thank god for body cameras.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'He may sue': Sam Macedone slams NSW Police after Canberra Raiders star Curtis Scott's arrest footage emerges

Curtis Scott's lawyer says the Canberra Raiders centre could sue the NSW Police Force after his "wrongful" arrest.

"There was a third video I wanted to show which was the video cam at the end of the taser gun, but [the magistrate] said 'I've seen your client tasered twice now, I don't think I could stomach a third one'. He walks out of there with his head held high and the NSW Police Force will be a little concerned I'd imagine. He may very well sue them for wrongful arrest, unlawful handcuffing and otherwise assaulting him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

I have some experience with matters of police misbehaviour (seeing, not doing :) ) and even I am stunned at how appalling this is.

Maybe my surprise comes from the fact that the vision is so damning and now so very public. It’s mindboggling that police thought pursuing these charges was a good idea, and raises as many concerns about culture in the NSW police as the incident itself.

I would hope to see charges out of this, thought it’s probably unlikely. The tasering of a handcuffed man offering only passive resistance while experiencing the after effects of OC spray is a worthy candidate.

On a rugby league note, I’m hoping we’ll see a much stronger Curtis Scott in action now that he can put this behind him.
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I absolutely still believe that these cops had no idea who Scott was.

They thought random drunk bloke in a park, and reverted to BAU.

Never expected an NRL player with significant ability to get a good legal team onto it.

How many others does this probably happen to every week who don’t have $100k to fight it?
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Vindication is sweet.

I trust he's learnt his lesson.

BTW anyone else surprised (roll eyes) that nrl.com has no mention of the dropping of charges?

They were certainly willing to plaster his arrest all over the website.

Stunned. I am stunned at their bias. Sarcastic laugh.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders recruit Curtis Scott arrested after Moore Park incident

Post by Lui_Bon »

Danaman137 wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:50 pm
cat wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:38 pm
cat wrote: January 27, 2020, 3:36 pm I have this really crazy idea! Lets just wait and see what happens before we tar and feather him!

We know he has been charged thats all, those charges may not even make it to court, and those charges can look a million different ways in the real world/ what actually happened

All we know is it does not qualify for the stand down rule

Currently we have heard nothing from the nrl in regards to
- josh Reynolds
- sivo
- dugan
- ofolelenge from the broncos

Any more?

And in terms of the search for drugs yes in sydney they do do random drug searches particularly when they are in that kind of "party" area
What planet are you on?
Meaning?

So you know what actually happened based on those charges? I for sure dont.

Assault police- could have sworn at them, accidentally struck one when fighting to get away, actually looked them in the eye and deliberately punched them the list goes on.

So let's not crucify him until we really know

Read the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a good bit...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I said this in June:

"The thing I find a bit nebulous is this idea that "assaulting the police" is somehow a hanging offence. Don't get me wrong, no-one should "assault" anyone. Ask, however, is a wild swinging arm while newted an "assault" in the way a normal person would understand it? Or is it a $500 fine and move along?"

Turns out it wasn't a wild swinging arm, it was a feeble wave. I'm not the slightest bit surprised at my absolute disgust at the police behaviour. Good thing he didn't need to be wearing a mask at the time...
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Is it really any wonder that he played so badly at the start. Remember that Greenberg was seconds away from exercising his discretion of applying the no fault stand down rule, which he dragged out for weeks. Stuart has clarified thst he would have been sacked if he was found guilty. How can anyone be expected to perform at their best in these circumstances. Frankly im amazed that he has managed to cope as well as he has. He should consider himself lucky cause had he been at a number of other clubs he'd have been cast aside. I hope that he can now put this whole mess behind him and be the player we all know he can be.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A nightmare: Tasered NRL gun breaks silence after brutal arrest

NRL star Curtis Scott has broken his silence after shocking footage of his brutal arrest in January saw all charges dropped on Thursday.

“I still haven’t watched the full footage, it just made me feel a bit sick and I couldn’t sit there and watch it,” Scott said. “It did feel like a nightmare. It’s been a massive dark cloud over my head and just thinking if that police footage wasn’t turned on ... I would have been painted in this picture as assaulting police and I’d probably be on the shovel for the rest of my life.

Read more and video: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1307120
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart feels for Curtis Scott after viewing vision of unlawful arrest

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says a huge weight has been lifted off the shoulders of Curtis Scott, after the centre was cleared this week of charges of assaulting police.

Scott faced seven charges after an incident early in the morning following Australia Day - with Scott unlawfully handcuffed and arrested while asleep under a tree in Moore Park. Disturbing vision has now been released of the incident, with police pepper spraying and tasering Scott. After two court hearings in Sydney, all the charges have been thrown out or dismissed.

Stuart said he'd not seen the vision from policy body cams before it was publicly released, and now fully understands how it has affected him and his football.

"It has been a real tough nine months for him," Stuart said before his team's captain's run on Friday.

"From the outset I said that he put himself in that position. It's always been very difficult, when we can only go off the comment from people who have seen the vision, the people at the NRL, the NSW Police, his lawyers. That's always been difficult, with the unknown."

"But now you see the vision, I feel for Curtis in regards to what he's had to put up with over the last nine months."

"I believe it has affected his football. It's affected his training and now there's a huge weight lifted off his shoulders".

Stuart says that Scott faced being sacked if he'd been found guilty of assaulting police, but he's been honest with the club from the outset.

"It was really important for him to be honest to us, and he has been," Stuart said.

"The club and the players have all rallied around Curtis. We hadn't seen the vision, so we could only go off what we were being told. But that's what we do here at the club. The players are very strongly bonded. They've got a great mateship amongst them and the staff here, we've all supported Curtis."

"He knew he'd be sacked from the club if he'd assaulted a police officer. That was always hanging over his head too," Stuart revealed.

"As you can see from the vision, Curtis didn't remember a lot of that. But he knew the treatment that he copped, that was at the forefront of his mind."

Stuart strongly supports the work that police do, often in difficult circumstances. But he believes that the actions and behaviour of police on the night of Scott's arrest let other good police down.

"Let me say, I support police. I always have. They've got a very tough job, especially in today's environment," Stuart said.

"A lot of rugby league players, a lot of sportspeople, get the sport and reputations damaged through individuals' poor behaviour. That's happened over many, many years that I've been involved [in sport]. Individuals let others down who do the right thing."

"I believe those police officers have let a lot of good police officers down in regards to their actions towards Curtis Scott. I don't believe the people that I support in the police would support those actions from those officers that night."

Stuart says that the experience has undoubtedly affected his football.

"He's never used it as an excuse. It's a credit to him, he's never looked at a soft option. Now seeing what I've seen, I can totally understand how it has affected his thinking and preparations towards football," Stuart said.

"I believe he's got a lot to offer."

Scott returned to Canberra last night and was back at training today. Stuart hopes Scott will be available for selection next week.

"He's still in rehab with his leg," Stuart said.

"I'm hoping that he'll be available for selection next week, but it was the leg that he had broken so I don't want to rush that. It's around the plate that he's got in his leg now and I want to make sure it is 100 per cent before he comes back. We've got some people filling in there at the moment and we've got a bit of depth. It's important to get him back 100 per cent at this time of the year."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart speaks about Curtis Scott's situation: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... ons-match/

VIDEO: Stuart: Huge weight lifted off Scott’s shoulders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11/stu ... shoulders/

A weight off Scott says Canberra's Stuart: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1308435

Officers let down NSW Police force: Ricky Stuart

Officers who handcuffed, pepper sprayed and tasered Curtis Scott let down the NSW Police force says Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who has thrown his support behind the star recruit in the wake of this week's legal proceedings.

Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

I'm not a big Curtis Scott fan but jeez I feel for him after seeing the video. Disgraceful behavior from the police and the mind boggles at why they tried so hard to press those assault charges against him when he was clearly the one being assaulted! Hopefully his form picks up as a result of this being over and he finds another gear. I also hope he hits the weights and the sprint track hard during the offseason.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hopefully he comes out and tears up this weekend

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: September 11, 2020, 12:21 pm Hopefully he comes out and tears up this weekend

lol
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: September 11, 2020, 12:23 pm
-TW- wrote: September 11, 2020, 12:21 pm Hopefully he comes out and tears up this weekend

lol
:cry:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's a big weight off my shoulders: Curtis Scott

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott has had many sleepless nights and anxiety attacks in the past nine months. That's now over.

Scott returned to Raiders HQ at Braddon today, after being cleared of charges of assaulting police following a big night out drinking on Australia Day.

The magistrate presiding over his case threw the charges out, ruling that Scott was arrested unlawfully by police. He was handcuffed while asleep under a tree in Moore Park and then subjected to brutal treatment by police, pepper sprayed and tasered.

The vision was so disturbing, the magistrate declined the offer of viewing a third angle of the events.

Scott fronted the media at lunch time on Friday, apologising to the club, his family and friends for putting himself in the situation.

"I take full responsibility for my actions of the night," Scott said.

"I definitely didn't go out to put myself in that position, but unfortunately I did."

"I'd like apologise to the club, my family, friends, to bring the scrutiny on everyone. I'm happy it's all out of the way now and I can move on with my life."

Scott feels like a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

"I just feel really happy that it's finally over. It was tough there for nine months, waiting. Knowing that the allegations that were tossed out weren't true. I just had to deal with the media and the pressure until yesterday.

"Now, it's a big weight off my shoulders, a big cloud that's finally passed over my head. I can walk around with my head up and get on with everything."

He admits it has been tough to carry on with life and football after the charges were laid.

"I've been coming in and putting on a brave face," he said.

"Knowing that I'm at such a great club that supported me through it all and such a great playing group, it just made it much easier to come in."

"But always laying down in bed at night thinking, 'What if these charges stick? I could be out in the workforce every day'. That's pretty scary and I'm pretty grateful."

"I just felt like I'd let a lot of people down at the club. They've jumped through a lot of hoops, done a lot for me, especially Sticky, to get me here."

"I was really embarrassed by what happened. I'm forever in their debt now. I've got to repay them and I've got get back to playing the footy I should be playing and repay them in that."

Scott is very thankful to the people at the Raiders who helped him through the ordeal.

"Ricky's been outstanding. He told me at the start not to lie to him and I've told the truth from the beginning," Scott said.

"But there's been a lot of people at this club who've gone into bat with me."

"Andrew Bishop, the welfare officer, he's been massive. I've spoken to him, day to day chats, and I think I've kept him in a job for the last nine months. He's been busting his back for us, and I can't thank him enough."

"Don [Furner], as well, the CEO. He's been doing a lot behind the scenes. Just knowing you have their support, it just makes it a lot easier."

The vision released from police body cams of the incident makes for shocking viewing. Scott says he doesn't like to watch it as he finds it too traumatic. He prefers to look ahead, not back.

"It's something I don't really want to go back and look on to be honest," Scott said.

"It's been pretty traumatic for me, but then again, I know I put myself in that situation. I'm just happy that it's behind me now, and I can look forward into the future."

"It's actually made me a better person as well. I feel it's made me mature and take into account that one night out can take everything I've worked for since I was a four year old away."

Scott would not be drawn on whether he would make a formal complaint or pursue legal action against the NSW Police.

"It's only been a day out of court. I'm just happy that I can get a full eight hours sleep at night now and not wake up in an anxiety attack," he said.

"I'm just going to relax and get through this season and enjoy my off season. It's been pretty tough."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Curtis Scott: I'm relieved it's over: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/09 ... -its-over/

Anxiety and sleepless nights: Scott relieved police ordeal over: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11/anx ... deal-over/

Raiders' Scott tells of charges anxiety: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1308435

Curtis Scott opens up on ‘traumatic’ arrest, and reveals how he’ll repay his club: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9fb568c78e

Curtis Scott opens up about Sydney arrest after charges dropped

Curtis Scott has spoken about frequent anxiety attacks and his determination to repay the Raiders after speaking publicly for the first time about his January 27 arrest.

The 22-year-old said it felt a weight had been off his shoulders after seven charges against him, including five for assaulting police, were dropped in a Sydney court this week.

Time for fans to get behind Curtis Scott: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders star Curtis Scott opens up on traumatic year after police altercation: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/curtis-sco ... c600954c40
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

"It's actually made me a better person as well. I feel it's made me mature and take into account that one night out can take everything I've worked for since I was a four year old away."
I really hope this is isnt just a throw away line
If he's serious about that remark and is refocusing on his footy and not his weekend fun, i still believe he can be a very good player for us.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he was touted as being anything through the juniors, I'd love to see us get that reward

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

I was really angry when this first broke and wanted him gone. Still not happy with his choices that lead up to this but am willing to give him a clean slate once he's back from his current injury.

A clean bill of health and a clear conscience will do him a world of good. His desire to prove he was worth the clubs backing will hopefully improve his on field performance and his off field preparations.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I thought it was shocking what Scott did when he was tasered. Then I saw it was the police who were shockingly shocking.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: September 11, 2020, 2:57 pm
I really hope this is isnt just a throw away line
If he's serious about that remark and is refocusing on his footy and not his weekend fun, i still believe he can be a very good player for us.
It's by far the best thing to come out of this. Hopefully he follows through, for his own sake.

It will be interesting to see how he responds on field. The incident has clearly knocked him around.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

After a long nine months, Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott has been cleared of police charges and says he just wants to repay his club by playing good football. Hear from Curtis and coach Ricky Stuart. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/rnpS50BnUxs

#NRL #WeAreRaiders
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve done a complete 180 on Scott after this. For a young man to be charged with assault police and have the outcome of that determine whether or not you have a career is a heavy burden to carry.

To find out what has actually happened to him makes it much worse. Sure, getting so drunk you fall asleep in a park isn’t a good look but neither is hand cuffing and unconscious person while you tell them not to resist and pepper spraying and tasering a hand cuffed person is awful.

I hope without this hanging over him he is able to relax and play the footy that he is capable of.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fresh start.

Will he miss another week or two getting himself back in the COVID bubble though?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote:I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve done a complete 180 on Scott after this. For a young man to be charged with assault police and have the outcome of that determine whether or not you have a career is a heavy burden to carry.

To find out what has actually happened to him makes it much worse. Sure, getting so drunk you fall asleep in a park isn’t a good look but neither is hand cuffing and unconscious person while you tell them not to resist and pepper spraying and tasering a hand cuffed person is awful.

I hope without this hanging over him he is able to relax and play the footy that he is capable of.
I’ve done a 540 on the whole thing, pick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
pickles wrote:I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve done a complete 180 on Scott after this. For a young man to be charged with assault police and have the outcome of that determine whether or not you have a career is a heavy burden to carry.

I’ve done a 540 on the whole thing, pick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ImageCmon Nickman. Even using my old Holder High School semi circular protractor, I can tell you’ve only done a 539 degree turn on the matter.

But then again I paid more attention to footy training than maths class.